Larian Studios
Posted By: kingsc Camping supplies - 16/07/21 08:29 PM
So... camping supplies is cool and all... but do I REALLY have to have the supplies on my person to camp? I'd much rather send them to camp and be able to use them from camp storage.... thanks

Edit - Oh, on top of this, if I put all my 40-unit supply packs in the camp storage... 5 of them weigh too much and I can't take them out with my rogue... I have to throw them on the ground and have my cleric come get and sort them.

I get the desire to not be able to camp whenever you want to... but at the same time.. don't make it so the process is unenjoyable.

Edit #2 - I'm not really a fan of this feature anyway, but with the above, I feel like this should be a toggle for those who want to deal with this.
Posted By: alice_ashpool Re: Camping supplies - 17/07/21 12:58 AM
I do think that 90% of the issues with this whole food thing could be fixed with improvements to the inventory and inventory management which remain almost as clunky as they were on day 1. The slow, often laggy and non-responsive, overly click heavy inventory system makes adding in new things that require more of that feel worse than they should be. Thats my opinion. I would be much more positive about the camping-food stuff if looting and inventory management was not a tedious grind in the first place which I do as much as possible to avoid.

Adding food mechanics is all well and good but if that means more faffing around in a poor inventory+looting system then it serves to simply further highlight UI/UX issues and detract from what could be a really positive addition to the game.
Posted By: GM4Him Re: Camping supplies - 17/07/21 02:27 AM
You can leave them at camp. When you want to long rest, take them out of the traveler chests. I don't know. Wasn't much of an issue for me.
Posted By: Boblawblah Re: Camping supplies - 17/07/21 02:44 AM
what, you don't like right clicking every piece of food you get and having to move it to the camp and then take it out of the camp when you need to long rest instead of just pressing a single button? Weird.
Posted By: GM4Him Re: Camping supplies - 17/07/21 03:07 AM
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
what, you don't like right clicking every piece of food you get and having to move it to the camp and then take it out of the camp when you need to long rest instead of just pressing a single button? Weird.

Haha! Not saying it couldn't be better. It's just a test. Yes, absolutely they should make it easier, but you can still pick up backpacks in the game. Put the food in a backpack and stow the whole pack at camp. It's not that big a deal really...no more than all the typical inventory management issues they need to fix.

I'm just saying, don't knock the food mechanic. Knock the inventory management mechanics. The food mechanic really wouldn't be a big issue at all if inventory was fixed.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Camping supplies - 17/07/21 06:50 AM
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Yes, absolutely they should make it easier, but you can still pick up backpacks in the game. Put the food in a backpack and stow the whole pack at camp.
So instead of "right clicking" every piece of food and sending it into camp ... where you will pick it up.
You will be "dragging" every piece of food to another container, and then right clicking the container ... and then, you will search the container in camp containers to "drag" the food out to yet another container so you can rest?

Not quite improvement i was looking for to be honest. :-/

I hope someone came up with Mod that will send food to camp automaticly, and let you use from your camp containers directly.
(It would be also fine if that would get its own container, so you dont have to search item you wish to hide in tons of meat, and fishes. laugh )

BTW fun fact ... have you notice that Vine, and Rum is by Larian rules more nutritious, than fish or fruit?
Sometimes i must try to go through whole EA, and resting only with booze. laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Seraphael Re: Camping supplies - 17/07/21 08:15 AM
Given BG3 is based on D&D, which is massively reliant on the resting mechanics for balance, I appreciate Larian at least attempting to create an illusion of balance in the game. But I'm not so sure the new resting/camp system is limiting in practice to the long rest spam of previous patches. I assume this means the final nail in the coffin for day/night-cycles (which would be another way to achieve balance), and I'm okay with losing that immersion as long as we get some semblance of balance.

RESTING BALANCE SUGGESTION: Long resting while having attacked a unified enemy spread out in an area, ie. while exterminating the goblin camp, *should* lead to the remaining goblins being placed on alert and banding together to prepare for attack having - even placed random traps when the player resumes her/his bloody work. This would be a balancing mechanic of sorts that bundles in with some needed immersion/realism.

FOOD ITEM SUGGESTION: Simplify the food system by automatically abstracting each food/drink item into a bundle of camp supply units once picked up. Larian could further do this treatment to a host of "trash items" like utensils etc. The excessive loot focus and tiresome inventory system was a big part of what killed DOS2 for me, and I hate that Larian has doubled down on the dysfunctionality.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Camping supplies - 17/07/21 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by Seraphael
FOOD ITEM SUGGESTION: Simplify the food system by automatically abstracting each food/drink item into a bundle of camp supply units once picked up. Larian could further do this treatment to a host of "trash items" like utensils etc. The excessive loot focus and tiresome inventory system was a big part of what killed DOS2 for me, and I hate that Larian has doubled down on the dysfunctionality.
I just want to make sure i understand this corectly ...

We would pick up food ... and it would create "camp supplies X/40", where X is number of supplies unit contained in that food in our backpack? O_O
BCS that sounds really interesting!
Posted By: Seraphael Re: Camping supplies - 17/07/21 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Seraphael
I just want to make sure i understand this corectly ...

We would pick up food ... and it would create "camp supplies X/40", where X is number of supplies unit contained in that food in our backpack? O_O
BCS that sounds really interesting!
Yup. Simplified much in the same way gold already is (used to be bronze, silver, electrum, gold and platinum back in the old days). As a former army knuckle-dragger, I'm a big believer in the KISS principle. Keep It Simple, Stupid. I really HATE inventory-tetris mini games taking time and attention away from the fun parts smile
Posted By: Niara Re: Camping supplies - 17/07/21 09:28 AM
I'd like it if the items remained individual, and varied, BUT, I think they should automatically be sent to an independent, isolated camp stash that contains your camping supplies; no mess, no fuss, no time on inventory management... however, when you camp, it brings up the food stash for you to select your camping value from.

I favour this idea since it allows the flavour of different food items to remain, at relatively little click and time cost... and it also leaves open the *possibility* of them putting in a little cooking mini game on the side, to give you minor buffs based on making specific camp meals with things as part of your selection ^.^
Posted By: GM4Him Re: Camping supplies - 17/07/21 09:44 AM
I agree 100% on this one with Niara. I particularly love this idea: RESTING BALANCE SUGGESTION. But yeah, item management right now is tedious. It is probably one of the worst game elements right now.

I like separate items. It was fun to me choosing, if I wanted to, what food the party would eat on Day 1 end. Fish? Fruit? I liked that. Made for good roleplay.

But lugging it all and moving things around one food item at a time was not fun. We still need a multi-select feature and the ability to send all food to camp and have it count.

That, however, is inventory management. It's not really food mechanics. I think the actual food camp mechanic is good.

But, again, I REALLY like Niaras suggestion. If you long rest after triggering certain events, there needs to be consequences.
Posted By: Seraphael Re: Camping supplies - 17/07/21 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Niara
I'd like it if the items remained individual, and varied, BUT, I think they should automatically be sent to an independent, isolated camp stash that contains your camping supplies; no mess, no fuss, no time on inventory management... however, when you camp, it brings up the food stash for you to select your camping value from.

I favour this idea since it allows the flavour of different food items to remain, at relatively little click and time cost... and it also leaves open the *possibility* of them putting in a little cooking mini game on the side, to give you minor buffs based on making specific camp meals with things as part of your selection ^.^

Having them automatically teleported to the camp stash is anti-immersion. Your variant suggestion would offer needless complexity, less balance and less immersion for convenience. By applying consistent logic/mechanic to other inventory items, we should just have just about everything teleport into an extradimensional pocket that everyone could access without cost at any given time, in and out of combat. MOAR CONVENIENCE!

A little inventory mini games, a little cooking mini games, a little more crafting mini games, a little enchanting mini games...yeah, I know only too well where this would lead. MOAR MICROMANAGEMENT!

Sincerely hope Larian doesn't go down this path again as they did DOS2 where the players were compelled into becoming hoarders; discarding little - for fear of selling an obscure ingredient needed to craft a super powerful item, - or to mass-produce a gazillion different items to provide an advantage. An edge you didn't really need as the game was easy to beat. This exacerbates the tired old RPG trope where your inventory is littered with consumable items you saved for "just in case". It furter exacerbate the already broken economy. Also D&D isn't really a crafting game, nor was the original BG-series outside of the powerful artifacts (which is crafting I can get behind). Make BG3 BG/D&D Again. Please?

To totally blow my own trumpet; the idea I suggested would provide similar levels of convenience and much needed simplification, while also keeping immersion and balance (minor point).
Posted By: Niara Re: Camping supplies - 17/07/21 10:58 AM
Respectfully disagree, Seraph... Your idea to have it all abstract into a single bland tally of a generic ''camp supply' resource is the exact opposite of maintaining the flavour of the concept - it abolishes said flavour entirely. I dislike and do not support that idea.

Sure, it would be better for immersion if you have to carry the items with you, and they only automatically dropped into the isolated 'supply stash' when you actually went to camp; YES, that would be better for immersion ,and the consideration of weight limits... HOWEVER, we already have a free, always available "send to camp" button that you can use on anything, at any time... so there is NO point in implementing anything that preserves realism of having to carry camping materials until that is taken away - and it doesn't look like it will be. EVEN then, We ALSO have an automatic and free any-time-any-where travel to camp button that lets us pop to camp and back to where we left again at any time... and that would have to go too.

Are those things going to go away? Most likely not. If those things don't go away, then any system that is making you carry around a weight of materials that are only used in your camp is going to simply be stupid, inefficient, and will not preserve immersion at all, since everyone will simply circumvent it using the game's own in-built mechanics for doing so.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Camping supplies - 17/07/21 11:45 AM

This sounds even better. laugh ^_^
Posted By: Tuco Re: Camping supplies - 17/07/21 12:01 PM
I've suggested to make "food" an unified abstract resource (mentioning Lords of Xulima as a potential example) rather than 40 different types of items cluttering your inventory since the very first days the then EA started.
I sort of doubt Larian is interested in this type of suggestion at this point.

The "flavor of having different food" doesn't really add much to the game, mechanically speaking, and it becomes particularly aggravating as problem in a title already notorious for having a messy and cluttered inventory management.

If nothing else, the fact that food now doesn't double down as healing item anymore makes far easier to just "send it away" at your camp chest without a worry to regret it later.
Posted By: David12183 Re: Camping supplies - 17/07/21 05:57 PM
I don't think they should get rid of all the different food types. They don't have to since they have already set up an exchange system for how many "camp supply units" each food type is worth. But they could have all food items added to inventory automatically accumulate into Camp Supply bags, which can hold a maximum of 40 units. This way they could continue to track our total encumbrance from food items, while avoiding "inventory tetris." They could still let us send our camp supply bags - full or not - to the camp to lighten our loads.

The second part of this is that it shouldn't be necessary for us to pull the supplies out of our camp crates in order to rest. I mean we're at the camp. If we don't have enough supplies in our personal inventories, it should automatically take what it needs from the crates. I don't see the value in having to role play walking over to the crate to pull out the 20 units we are short by in our personal inventories. A simple message that "You had 20 units of camp supplies on you, and took 20 more units from camp storage" would do the trick.
Posted By: David12183 Re: Camping supplies - 17/07/21 06:05 PM
[quote=GM4Him]BTW fun fact ... have you notice that Vine, and Rum is by Larian rules more nutritious, than fish or fruit?
Sometimes i must try to go through whole EA, and resting only with booze. laugh laugh laugh

Well it may not be as nutritious when it comes to getting protein, vitamins and minerals, but alcohol is calorie-dense. And ultimately it's the calories that give us the energy to fight, cast spells, etc.

But let's not talk about this too much, or Larian might add conditions like scurvy and rickets if we're not getting the right vitamins!
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Camping supplies - 17/07/21 06:41 PM
But i want my "sloshed as f***" status! laugh
Posted By: CJMPinger Re: Camping supplies - 17/07/21 07:28 PM
Personally, I would still like to be able to put the food in its own container than is connected to the campfire, so that I don't have to drag it out of the chest or have it all on Laezel as the food packmule.
Posted By: Kryldost Re: Camping supplies - 18/07/21 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by GM4Him
You can leave them at camp. When you want to long rest, take them out of the traveler chests. I don't know. Wasn't much of an issue for me.

Unfortunately not all camps have the camp storage access.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Camping supplies - 18/07/21 06:22 PM
I found it allways so far ...
The worse is that they cannot be splitted, so if you store more then ... lets say 5(guessing the number) ... your supplies are unusable forever. :-/
Posted By: Kryldost Re: Camping supplies - 18/07/21 06:44 PM
I was able to split my supplies, at first in my inventory I couldnt but after storing them at camp I was able to split them. No problem with that so far! Also You can split when you pick what food you wanna use for camp. Oh and the game automatically split a stack of apples for me to have proper amount of supplies when I selected autopick!
Posted By: TheHero Re: Camping supplies - 20/07/21 10:03 AM
The most simple solution would be to have a Food Container automaticly by magic means sending all the food we pick up at any given time to the camp.
Or better just handle those food items outside of the itemmanagmentressource as like items which never ever be seen in the inventory, only when we filtered direectly for it.
Also at current version the campfoodmanager can not see food in other containers. At least it is in my game atm like that.

Theres a lot of good tools in World of Warcraft for item managment. Maybe suggesting to check some up and replicate the best managment ideas.
Its not that thers a patent on everything, and making things better on the base of older ideas is something humankind is allways striving to do.
So go on and make it so smile
Posted By: Anfindel Re: Camping supplies - 20/07/21 11:08 PM

I want a "special" garlic based dish, for when Astarion annoys me....
Posted By: kingsc Re: Camping supplies - 21/07/21 03:21 AM
Yeah I'm down for whatever... for a start just let us spend resources from the stash and not have to drag it out from the stash to use it and I'll be happy. Even better, someone mentioned treating them like ephemeral resources like coin and that would be pretty cool - like I pick up an apple, ok - that adds 5 "units" of camp supplies... and then the 40 I need to spend is taken out of the invisible "units" of camp resources I have. There's a fine line where too much realism gets tedious and I don't want to feel I left my day at work to go to my second job. xD I know I'm exaggerating a bit here but you get the drift. smile
Posted By: kingsc Re: Camping supplies - 21/07/21 03:23 AM
The worse is that they cannot be splitted, so if you store more then ... lets say 5(guessing the number) ... your supplies are unusable forever. :-/

Yes - this is my biggest problem with the system... if you send all your packs to camp, eventually I imagine you could run into a situation where no one in your party is strong enough to lift the stack out to split it. That's broken.
Posted By: kingsc Re: Camping supplies - 21/07/21 03:23 AM
Originally Posted by Kryldost
I was able to split my supplies, at first in my inventory I couldnt but after storing them at camp I was able to split them. No problem with that so far! Also You can split when you pick what food you wanna use for camp. Oh and the game automatically split a stack of apples for me to have proper amount of supplies when I selected autopick!

Yeah but it only looks at the inventory on your party - not what's in the stash.
Posted By: Kryldost Re: Camping supplies - 21/07/21 05:06 AM
Ah yea, forgot to quote the previous answer, it was a response to ragnarok! I want containers or a reserved stash to be used as well.
Posted By: sinogy Re: Camping supplies - 22/07/21 11:18 AM
Why not just preventing the player from having long rest as long as the area is not safe aka enemies nearby?

OR

Just add checkpoints where long rest option is available

Problem solved...

Otherwise, for example, why would I chose fighter over paladin for the fact that I never run out of smites ever so long as there is endless long rest as it is in the game now?

Resting is a core gameplay economy mechanics in DnD and BG3 completely ignores it. The problem is their homebrew rules of it does not help the game improve over existing mechanics.
Posted By: Zyllos Re: Camping supplies - 22/07/21 07:39 PM
I can agree that long rests do need the element of surprise attacks if resting in hostile and dangerous territories, or long rests need to be only allowed in safe zones (designated areas).

Along with, there is too many camping supplies to begin with. I felt like you would never have an issue doing long rests as you get so many supplies. Either up the amount needed or lower the amount found, then have players spend gold to spend on supplies if they run low. So, now it becomes a management of gold resources to found and needed resources. This will become more interesting once players can begin adventuring into very large territories that have no way to replenish supplies as you need to bring them along. Then, you can begin to possibly add a Skill Check to hunt new resources for those long duration adventures or trying to save gold.

And, I completely agree, if we are going to keep the "Send to Camp", then there is no reason why the camping supplies screen should need them on your character. That is just a random, needless step that adds no new mechanics to the game.

But, if we lose the "Send to Camp", it can be argued if you need them on you to rest or not. Honestly, I would be inclined to either do:

- No free "Send to Camp" and still have a stash that the Camping Window always pulls from the stash (so when you return to camp, you can just stash them).
- "Send to Camp" exists to make management of food easier, but Camping Window always pulls from stash.

Based on this, I think there is no reason why you need them on your character to perform a long rest. Always allow to pull from the stash.
Posted By: kingsc Re: Camping supplies - 22/07/21 07:56 PM
Regarding random fights when resting, I think that was in the original BG IIRC. Man that sucked when you were already camping due to grievous injuries xD
Posted By: GM4Him Re: Camping supplies - 23/07/21 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by kingsc

Yes - this is my biggest problem with the system... if you send all your packs to camp, eventually I imagine you could run into a situation where no one in your party is strong enough to lift the stack out to split it. That's broken.

Maybe Hotfix 12 fixed this, but I can split the supplies. I sent everything to camp, opened the chest at camp, opened my inventory, held the Shift key, dragged the camping supplies to inventory, and it split them.

This means, all you have to do is send all camp supplies to camp instead of lugging them around.
Posted By: kingsc Re: Camping supplies - 26/07/21 05:30 AM
Welp... what I feared happened. Had a stack of 11. Couldn't figure out how to split em.. ended up dropping them on the ground and none of my characters could pick them up to either split or put back in camp storage. In my anger I attacked the stack, and in one hit they were all gone.

THis is stupid. Not playing this again until they do something about it.
Posted By: Tarorn Re: Camping supplies - 26/07/21 06:20 AM
I don’t know if it goes over 40 as a requirement but from I can see so far there is way to much food available - they need to trim it by about 50% at least or not if 40 becomes a lot more as you level.
Just an observation from my patch 5 play through so far - I like the actual concept though.
Posted By: Karanshade Re: Camping supplies - 26/07/21 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Zyllos
I can agree that long rests do need the element of surprise attacks if resting in hostile and dangerous territories, or long rests need to be only allowed in safe zones (designated areas).

Along with, there is too many camping supplies to begin with. I felt like you would never have an issue doing long rests as you get so many supplies. Either up the amount needed or lower the amount found, then have players spend gold to spend on supplies if they run low. So, now it becomes a management of gold resources to found and needed resources. This will become more interesting once players can begin adventuring into very large territories that have no way to replenish supplies as you need to bring them along. Then, you can begin to possibly add a Skill Check to hunt new resources for those long duration adventures or trying to save gold.

And, I completely agree, if we are going to keep the "Send to Camp", then there is no reason why the camping supplies screen should need them on your character. That is just a random, needless step that adds no new mechanics to the game.

But, if we lose the "Send to Camp", it can be argued if you need them on you to rest or not. Honestly, I would be inclined to either do:

- No free "Send to Camp" and still have a stash that the Camping Window always pulls from the stash (so when you return to camp, you can just stash them).
- "Send to Camp" exists to make management of food easier, but Camping Window always pulls from stash.

Based on this, I think there is no reason why you need them on your character to perform a long rest. Always allow to pull from the stash.
Yeah well while I agree , I would not do that on act 1 but at a later stage as part of both 'a difficulty increase' as well as something that strengthen the ambiance of a venture into a desolated area , the world in bg3 does not seem to be short on those.
© Larian Studios forums