Larian Studios
I just saw a quote from Larian, that amounted to "you guys have no idea what we have in store for you"

Im pretty sure I do... and I am I a bit concerned Larian thinks its more clever than it is.

The player is already a mind flayer, and so is everyone else... there is no going back, because our brains have been fully replaced by the tadpole already. We just dont look like a Mind Flayer, and we are operating off the memories of the person whose body we stole.

Like thats the plot twist right? thats the thing you will drop on us in the middle of the last act, and be like "how do you feel knowing you are the shadoooooow of a persoooon oooooohhhhhhhhh spoopy woah you arent you woah"
Honestly, I don't think the big twist is going to be that simply because it doesn't quite feel crazy enough. I feel like the big twist is going to be something way more out of left field. Not necessarily something smarter, just something more weird and kind of ridiculous. Also my gut says that the big twist will happen before the end. Or at least there will be *a* big twist before the very end.
Nay. So far story doesn't even revolve around mindslayers, with hells and "Absolute" playing far bigger role. Tadpole is just a plot device.
The big twist is likely going to be whatever ties this squarely into BG1+2 I think.
Clearly the Absolute is Tiax. (Joking, maybe)

Most likely, I think the twist is the identity of the absolute AND the exact why we aren't turning, our purpose.

If the twist ends up being, oh no look all the companions you have recruited but not active right now turned into mindflayers! I will be pissed.
When i was fantasying about the plot twist back when all we have seen was Cinematic trailer (aka first cinematic in game) ...
I was thinking that in the end we shall turn into Mind Flayer, and go back in time to kidnap our past-self. To ensure our survival. laugh laugh laugh
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Nay. So far story doesn't even revolve around mindslayers, with hells and "Absolute" playing far bigger role. Tadpole is just a plot device.
Hells, or rather Zariel, certainly looks to be involved. In the secluded cove you can find a note and a journal, which could be just an easter egg, or could be part of the main plot.
Is this what you mean?
Wyll at one point (as well as Gale, I think), recalls having been extremely powerful, but now being reduced in power since the tadpole. Laezel also speaks of tremendous feats of power (though, she could well just be bragging/exaggerating/lying). And Shadowheart has these flare ups, as well, that she doesn't recognize. It does appear as though something has been 'lost,' so to speak, in this transition.
The most perplexing would be Astarion's... well, changes, no longer being subject to the rules that he 'used' to have to live by. It does appear that there is a sharp disjunction between who we were before the tadpole's insertion and now.
To go along with your argument, perhaps Astarion's belief about his 'former' self, for instance, is just that: entirely constructed. After all, we all came out of the mindflayer pods, and we remember how quickly someone can "transition" in one of those pods: at a flip of the switch, apparently... It was portrayed to us players as a "transition" into a mindflayer: perhaps it wasn't a transition at all.
the problem with "you have no idea what we have in store" is that the internet is SCARY smart. They most definitely DO know what you have in mind. All the twists and turns you have in mind are going to be met with "okay...and?". Don't try to be cute, try to tell a good story.
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
If the twist ends up being, oh no look all the companions you have recruited but not active right now turned into mindflayers! I will be pissed.

This + Party Lock after Act 1 will completely ruin the game.

hear that Larian, dont ruin the game because you THINK you are smart.
Im keeping my theories of the plot to myself so I can be secretly proud of figuring it out just from playing EA :V *and research on mind flayers
The big twist is likely going to be whatever ties this squarely into BG1+2 I think.
Clearly the Absolute is Tiax. (Joking, maybe)

Probably not, but I will totally lose my shit (in a good way) if the last line in BG3 is "Tiax Rules!"
Or it can be something as simple as Shar once again trying to rebuild the shadow weave. There are many hints to that in the game.
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
the problem with "you have no idea what we have in store" is that the internet is SCARY smart. They most definitely DO know what you have in mind. All the twists and turns you have in mind are going to be met with "okay...and?". Don't try to be cute, try to tell a good story.

this

And yes other guy guy, the reason for this theory is that everyone is now inexplicably weak compared to there backstory, or even has mismatching biology (vampire), and how scary fast people can be "turned"
I'm hoping my guess is not right, but if they end up copy&pasting the central plot twist of act 2 from BG2 for it's nostalgia inducing effects, and for railroading reasons, we'll simply be betrayed/apprehended at the start of act 2 and delivered to moonrise towers. This would happen regardless of the route choices and alliances we made in act 1, and in a way that renders the choice between allegiances mostly meaningless. Awakening all helpless at the slaver central, with a control instrument rammed into/onto our heads, would also basically repeat yet again the plot premise of DOS2.
Originally Posted by urktheturtle
I just saw a quote from Larian, that amounted to "you guys have no idea what we have in store for you"

Im pretty sure I do... and I am I a bit concerned Larian thinks its more clever than it is.

The player is already a mind flayer, and so is everyone else... there is no going back, because our brains have been fully replaced by the tadpole already. We just dont look like a Mind Flayer, and we are operating off the memories of the person whose body we stole.

Like thats the plot twist right? thats the thing you will drop on us in the middle of the last act, and be like "how do you feel knowing you are the shadoooooow of a persoooon oooooohhhhhhhhh spoopy woah you arent you woah"

AND I THOUGHT ALL OUR BRAINS HAVE BEEN allready REPLACED BY VARIANTS of

Our Mind, Dark Mind and Slave Mind (Brains ofc)

So all is again totally unpredictable besides that Soul Coins are the most important Part in the solution of the whole game. wink
I'm actually guessing the core plot point will turn out to be the genesis/return of some unknown/forgotten god.
Parroting a bit the Bhaalspawn saga, basically.
Imoen is the Absolute
Hi ya it’s a me Imoen!
Imoen has been hanging out with Mario lol. Now i'm hearing that line with his voice laugh
Tiax Rules!

But Imoen is the puppet master pulling his strings.

And has been all along... playing the long game for world domination.
the actual mastermind behind this whole emerging epic plot is .......scratch !
Edwin, Tiax, and Imoen. It all makes sense now... The absolute...
Originally Posted by Wormerine

I still firmly believe the absoluite is an elder brain.
That just sounds lame. There's no way in hell that's the plot of the game. Besides, if the player was a mind flayer then why would other mindflayers be hostile and try to kill them?

It's going to end up with Bhall at some point. Because he's yet to ressurect. He'll find a way somehow. Then we finally finish him in a boss fight (or talking sense into him or something). This will happen after the absolute storyline though. The absolute themselves are tools of a larger power at play. As are the mind flayers. Gith attacking the ship. A hunt for the artifact. Demons involved. Someone is playing all sides here. There's simply too much going on at once for this to be down to one side alone. The absolute themselves will turn out to be some cult (if a powerful one. But still small time). Then the larger power at play will start to reveal itself.

And keep in mind what the bhall ability was like in BG2. It's basically like the tadpole. It's "inside of you". The tadpole then could be an experiment to try and create tools. Be it to commit murder, steal or whatever else. That wouldn't just benefit Bhall. That ends up benefiting basically anyone. This also explains Shadowheart a bit more. Who herself is blindly serving a goddess. Hmm... Someone pulling the strings to control the gods where you actually have to revive Bhall to stop them could be interesting. That would be a plot twist. Think of it like the first Dawn of War game. Wars happen. Blood gets spilt. You're doing the killing anyway. So it's quite possible Bhall can be ressurrected accidently. With the tadpoles serving as a sort of focus for it.

Kind of like this.
Bhall was resurrected before BG3 when Viekang and Abdel fought about(over?) 100 years after the events of BG2. The events in Throne of Bhall appear to be noncanon (The Solar, being the last Bhall spawn etc)
Originally Posted by avahZ Darkwood
Bhall was resurrected before BG3 when Viekang and Abdel fought about(over?) 100 years after the events of BG2. The events in Throne of Bhall appear to be noncanon (The Solar, being the last Bhall spawn etc)

Viekang was a plot hole in ToB anyway, since he had a good chance to suriveve the events regardless.
I do actually have an idea to explain the discrepancies:

If the Bhaalspawn rejects godhood, the Solar takes the taint from Gorians Ward and Imoen and seals it in ( i think) celestia.
The spellplague damages the the seal and the taint is slowly dripping back. Imeon is weakened during the spellplague and a mad Viekang kills her. And later attacks the last remaining other Bhaalspawn and whoever dies gains the full essence and turns into Bhaal.

If the Bhaalspawn accept goodhood, s/he becomes a lesser god and scrambles for faith. During the second sundering, AO takes the godhood away and the former good reincarnates as a mortal again. Viekang, still alive, is driven mad by the return of his taint and attacks the Bhaalspawn.

Both are just headcanon, but I do kinda hope Larian inserts some hints, how ToB and Murder in Baldur's Gate are connected.
..Maybe Amelyssan herself explains it to us.. laugh

Argument against Imoen: The Absolut does not have an obsetion with pink.
Most likely, I think the twist is the identity of the absolute AND the exact why we aren't turning, our purpose.
Squid cosplaying aside, I suspect there's some kind of plot for "get critical mass of people to become infected, controlled by 'officers' that all answer directly to someone trying to become a god(ess)".
How and why the Illithid would buy into helping this I'm not sure, assuming it's not some sort of elder brain pulling the strings.

Originally Posted by Tuco
I'm actually guessing the core plot point will turn out to be the genesis/return of some unknown/forgotten god.
Parroting a bit the Bhaalspawn saga, basically.
Possible, but right now I think BG3 is playing up something which was mostly background for the BG1/2: how much of yourself are you willing to change/sacrifice for power?
I doubt we're have anyting from ToB tying in with BG3. It's moot for the story.

Remember, Bhall is the god of murder (death in general really). He might have made a bunch of kids, but like chaos says with Korn (the blood god) "It matters not from where the blood is spilled. Only that it flows." Murder is simply a prefered method.

Basically the kids just help. But death is never stopping. How can you stop a god from ressurrecting if they're going to revive on death?

Bhall is basically the grim reaper. Which makes a lot of sense thinking about it. But that's also why he might be needed. To keep the world in balance. Even if you kick a god down for a few hundred years, they're gods. And can ressurrect.

The only way to defeat a god like Bhall would be to sever their connection from everything that can die when you defeat them. Or otherwise convince them to change their ways somehow.
Originally Posted by urktheturtle

I very much doubt that will be the plot twist honestly. And if it was you can come back and be smug about it :P

There seems to be a story line with the cult in the area and IIRC the book (escape from Avernus I think?) that took place jjust prior to BG3. Theres bound to be tie ins and plothooks from that angle as well. That said there seem to be several story lines running through the area and its currently hard to see which is tied into the overall story and which ones are tied to the area that we get to play in.
© Larian Studios forums