Larian Studios
Seriously Programmers and Planners!
Magic is easier and that's because the library is already loaded into the game.

Where is my Monk? Where is my Barbarian?

Seriously?!? A Druid was fine. But enough!

Where are my melee Kings?!? Screw the Glass Cannons!
I have played quite a bit of these types and generic types since I still cannot go past level 4!

I really love your work but damn come on I am really getting disappointed in this work
Awesome Yang.
Casters are the best! rpg007
I agree.

Sure Magic and all those classes are going good and are great to play.
But I agree with Deikon.

Where are our Melee Kings?

As person familiar with coding and IT, this add on for characters a simple ((mostly) a shortcut.
Sorcerer and Wizard are not that different in code at all.

I am sure Deikon and myself and others are waiting for greater and promised things.....

Thank you.
Maybe because the Magicsystem as it is now ingame is not defined.
This update hopefully fixes and sorts the differences in the many spellcaster classes in the EA Version of Game.
Its not normal that Wizard can cast anything even outside of his proficiency like some Clericspells.

Also technically the Sorcerer is less demanding in programming then f.e. Bard or Paladin Class.
Its just the practical decision to bring in the Sorcerer first into the EA after the Basic Characters and classes where implemented to get the EA rollin.
Sorcerer class is less time demanding development of class.

Hope this can give you some insight of how thoughtprocesses in game development is made visible.
They do and thank you.

But this still does not directly address the need for melee characters.
Average players who purchased this last year are wondering what is up? I follow reddit and several DnD groups so this is the feedback I am receiving.

Personally....
At work 5 of us purchased this item a year ago.

Now, we have played it to death and 4 of us are becoming not interested in this item due to their character types never being available.
Also, I and others understand how hard multi classing is to api and such, but regular players over such a long period will lose interest.

I hope this 60gb will cover these issues as I am a big fan of this project and want more positive things to say then programming excuses concerning difficulty.
I also hope and wait for Monk or Barbarian (mostly Monk, to be honest) ...
But i can understand that they are focusig on spellcasters ... there is much more to do, and therefore much more to test, since much more things can potentialy go completely wrong and mess up everything else. :-/

So ... be patient brother, our time will come. laugh
I expect the issue is they just can't get reactions to work with their engine easily so any class that really uses reactions is blocked atm.
I think they want to get spellcasting and spells done properly first. Most classes, barbarian included have some subclasses that have acces to spells from other classes. Or have feats that copy an effect as a feature. Barbarian can ritual cast some spells for example.

My guess is they wanted all of the spells done first, so if they make those classes they can just link to the excisting spell effect thet have (maybe with a unique icon) and not have to do the same job twice, basicly.

Also some things arent working properly yet like the above mentioned 'wizards can learn all spells' or that you can just swap spells out at will. Which is not how dnd spell lists work laugh
Yes, yes I do get that and I appreciate your reply.

But again, it needs to get done and and correctly, I want that also.

But and I know it is a but, let's GO on this.

I convinced several people of Larian''s general goodness last year to this day, and I am tired of their disappointed attitudes, but sadly I do not consider those attitudes to be incorrect.

I am very disappointed in this class release and hopefully with this update I will be able to play with them again because we are content burned out.
We were logging in every two weeks and then every months and now....just two of us diehards.
Sad.
Will be fun to see how they implement wild magic and the metamagic abilities. =)
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
I expect the issue is they just can't get reactions to work with their engine easily so any class that really uses reactions is blocked atm.
My thoughts exactly. Maybe reactions are too difficult to code in their engine (then why use it in the first place?).
Can it really be THAT hard to program that?
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Well, keep in mind that the divinity engine doesn't have a day/night cycle and BG3 is not planned to have one so yeah probably engine limitation is a thing.
Apologies for the images failing to show up, I'm a stranger to the forum.[img]http://[/img]

The introduction of the Sorcerer seems different than the Druid, as it has received its very own "intro screen" painting, rather than just a screenshot.

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FBFbjZyWQAQxkXN?format=jpg&name=large[/img]

versus

[img]https://assets2.rockpapershotgun.com/baldur's%20gate%203%20druid%2002_tGUaDLe.jpg/BROK/resize/1920x1920%3E/format/jpg/quality/80/baldur's%20gate%203%20druid%2002_tGUaDLe.jpg[/img]

I'm speculating here, but it seems this particular Sorcerer may also be a main nautiloid-type character, available for selection in the Camp. As a result, all that Sorcerer's game elements were added... which takes a longer time and Larian wanted to get it squared away before some of the other classes.
Interesting and thank you all so much.
I would more likely gues that Sorcerer just get this interesting artwork, bcs its part of that event in London ... it could be called promotion material.
Wich, as far as i know, Druid was not. smile

I would not search anything deeper in that honestly, but it would be certainly awesome!
Originally Posted by organichilimango
Apologies for the images failing to show up, I'm a stranger to the forum.[img]http://[/img]

The introduction of the Sorcerer seems different than the Druid, as it has received its very own "intro screen" painting, rather than just a screenshot.

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FBFbjZyWQAQxkXN?format=jpg&name=large[/img]

versus

[img]https://assets2.rockpapershotgun.com/baldur's%20gate%203%20druid%2002_tGUaDLe.jpg/BROK/resize/1920x1920%3E/format/jpg/quality/80/baldur's%20gate%203%20druid%2002_tGUaDLe.jpg[/img]

I'm speculating here, but it seems this particular Sorcerer may also be a main nautiloid-type character, available for selection in the Camp. As a result, all that Sorcerer's game elements were added... which takes a longer time and Larian wanted to get it squared away before some of the other classes.

When you are planning for a games convention you need to make impression. And Larian is planning in advance.
LArian needs something to decorate and gain as much as possible eye catchers.

That big Poster shown as screenshot is such an eyecatcher.
Instantly telling people this is an epic game with cool characters, check out Baldurs Gate 3 and play yourself this cool sorcerer.

Thats why theres visually more than just the Patch 4 Druid release.
But then again there wasnt any games convention they could go at that time when Druid Patch was introduced.
Also its their 1-year anny and then you want at least some kind of entrance to show off.
EGX2021 is not one of the biggest cons, but its a practical one to show that BG3 is coming to consoles too.

Thats some points why they choose a more visually apperance. First impressions allways count.
You want them to be positive.
I think they said something a while back about them having trouble figuring out how to make melee classes fun to play and still remain faithful to the rules. I figure it's better they get it right rather than push out a subpar melee class just for the sake of having one.
Yeah, the remaining melee classes simply aren't going to be released until Larian's answer to the reaction system is ready. The real window into the future of the game is not going to happen with this patch, it will be the one after this.
I'm holding off on any more play time until new melee classes added - Gimme Paladin, Bard, Monk or even Barb - Sorcerer has always been my least favorite class.
I heard a lot that meele classes are too depending on reactions ...

And while i can imagine that being true for Bard ... i cant find any cruicial rections for Barbarian ...
wich BTW seem to me almost same as battlemaster + rage ...
And rage seem ti be just one round buff that refresh itself if you give meele damage

In my honest opinion easiest class to implement.
Bard isn't really a melee depending on the build (Lore Bards play more like Wizards, while Valor Bards have a heavier emphasis on weapons and can double as a tank/archer), but they are definitely the caster most reliant on reactions.

They're arguably the most reaction-reliant class in DnD 5E, even more if said Bard decides to use their Magical Secrets to pick up reaction-reliant spells like Counterpsell. It's why once the devs implement proper reactions, everyone's expecting either them or Paladins to go along with it.
Originally Posted by organichilimango
I'm speculating here, but it seems this particular Sorcerer may also be a main nautiloid-type character, available for selection in the Camp.

I sorely wish that more companion options be added, though I agree with other posters that it probably won't happen yet.

So far, selecting 3 of the 5 available companions yields 10 total options. That may seem like a lot, but if you've tried every class and switched up the party every time, you've gone through 7 of those companion options. And it's not like swapping one companion for another makes a ton of gameplay difference.

I assume that's a major factor in the burnout the OP has been experiencing.
I assume the burnout also applies to the fact that out of the two (or three?) routes available towards Moonrise towers only one is currently implemented. I mean as far as I always understood Halsin, het mentiones the shadowland route (old risen road?) going over (the mountain pass) and under (the Underdark route). Could have misunderstood that part. But I kinda want to see them mountains and the shadowlands :O.
Originally Posted by Flooter
I assume that's a major factor in the burnout the OP has been experiencing.
OP was talking about wanting to play Meele class instead of caster ...
That have nothing to do with amount of companions.

But since you started about it: laugh

We would hardly get Karlach sooner than when will she get proper class ... no matter if that will be Paladin, as her tag suggest (and i still believe she would be great Oathbreaker) ... or if she will end up as a Barbarian, as most people predict.
What puzzles me tho is why we didnt yet get that datamined Druid (Hella? Hellia? something like that) companion, or Minsc, since he is Ranger ...

And since those should be every Origin character in the game ...
I gues there really isnt much more to pick. :-/
Anyway i still hope we will get at least single Origin character per class ... it would be odd otherwise. :-/

Originally Posted by Kimuriel
I assume the burnout also applies to the fact that out of the two (or three?) routes available towards Moonrise towers only one is currently implemented.
As far as i know, none of them is implemented ... at least not yet.
At every point, when you reach the place where you would get loading ... the game ends with the same sentence "this area is not part of Early Acess yet".

The route Halsin mentioned as preffered one starts on other side of Ebony Lake ... since he specificly mentioned Dark Justicars, and in the end of cinematic you can see two statues of some guys with litteraly same armor as Shadowheart have ... i dare to say that would be best place to start looking. laugh
The second one is indeed shadowlands, you can enther there on west part of the map, somewhere between goblin camp and hag teahouse ... that is also mentioned by Halsin, but also preffered by Minthara, since she (resp. her i dunno, friend? companion? w/e ...) can provide you safe passage.
What puzzles me tho is Githyanki Creche ... since it should be accesible in north/west part of the map, but there you enter the Shadowlands as it seems ... im really looking forward for this. smile
Originally Posted by Kimuriel
I assume the burnout also applies to the fact that out of the two (or three?) routes available towards Moonrise towers only one is currently implemented.
As far as i know, none of them is implemented ... at least not yet.
At every point, when you reach the place where you would get loading ... the game ends with the same sentence "this area is not part of Early Acess yet".

The route Halsin mentioned as preffered one starts on other side of Ebony Lake ... since he specificly mentioned Dark Justicars, and in the end of cinematic you can see two statues of some guys with litteraly same armor as Shadowheart have ... i dare to say that would be best place to start looking. laugh
The second one is indeed shadowlands, you can enther there on west part of the map, somewhere between goblin camp and hag teahouse ... that is also mentioned by Halsin, but also preffered by Minthara, since she (resp. her i dunno, friend? companion? w/e ...) can provide you safe passage.
What puzzles me tho is Githyanki Creche ... since it should be accesible in north/west part of the map, but there you enter the Shadowlands as it seems ... im really looking forward for this. smile

Hmm, well the underdark route works, just not the actual moonrise tower bit, technically. But you can get to the boat that takes you there.

As for the Githyanki Creche, the exit towards the mountain pass is actually a little ways back from the one that takes you to the Shadowlands. It is a bit hard to find but there is a area transition specifically labeled Mountain pass, a little ways back from where you encounter the patrol at the bridge. You can also jump up the mountain a bit there, although there is nothing there other than a chest with some meh loot.
OH i never noticed that there is some entrance!
I usualy use that place just for ambushing Goblins. laugh

Will check next patch. smile thanks for the tip!
I agree. I'm more interested what else will be in this patch. As with the druid, I don't care about the sorcerer.
I think Monk and Barbarians are coming when the different body types are coming.

Since both of these classes are on the more revealing sides we need to see them jacked like daddy Halsin
I want to see my monk grating cheese off their abs Larian. Swiss frigging cheese. Off. Their. Abs!
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Yeah, the remaining melee classes simply aren't going to be released until Larian's answer to the reaction system is ready. The real window into the future of the game is not going to happen with this patch, it will be the one after this.
My thoughts exactly. With this release, Larian is essentially running out of excuses (regarding the reaction system, I mean). So the next patch... will tell us how good their engine's architecture is.
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Unless their engine has been designed with a remarkable extensibility in mind, it is. Introducing a completely new concept into an existing solution (without breaking anything that already works, preferably) is usually much harder than writing the whole thing from scratch. That's why Tactical Adventures had no problems with reactions, and Larian does have. It's called "victim of past success": well received and sold game creates a strong incentive to re-use its assets as much as possible - even if you get square wheels in the end.

P.S.: Oh, and game engines are rarely designed to be extensible to such a degree. Designing such a thing is expensive, you see, and C-level suits don't like spending resources on things that aren't absolutely necessary right now. Who could have thought they will need reactions?..
I hope so and thank you all very much!
I agree with you OP. I also want more melee classes.

And in my world, I would play classes such as cleric, druid, and bard as melee classes with their spellcasting ability decidedly secondary. I would hope the game facilitates such a playstyle.
I am not happy. I have played all the generic characters to death.
I am tired and taking crap for having bros purchase this too early according to them....
Sigh.
I would have thought a monk and barbarian would be the easier of the classes to add. Monks in BG2 were super fun, just bolting around the maps exploding everything with a punch. POP, woosh, WHAM, whoosh, SLAP. I am the ChOsEn OnE! This before your caster casta single spell.

Ever since I watched Marco Polo I wanted to play Hundred Eyes in a BG game.
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
I would have thought a monk and barbarian would be the easier of the classes to add.
Agreed on Barbarian ...

But Monk seems tricky ... i mean how would you implement Deflect Misiles, or Slow Fall with curent reaction system? O_o
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I would have thought a monk and barbarian would be the easier of the classes to add.
Agreed on Barbarian ...

But Monk seems tricky ... i mean how would you implement Deflect Misiles, or Slow Fall with curent reaction system? O_o

? Why would that be hard?

Slow Fall = Monk has feather fall as an active feature. Don't even bother making it a reaction, just a constant effect, whatever.

Deflect Missiles = two toggles, one to use a reaction to deflect/catch. And one to say if you catch a missile, then yes, you do want to spend a ki point to make a ranged attack. I guess the only difficulty here would be whether the system let you pick the ranged target or immediately picks the target for you by, for instance, throwing the arrow back at whoever shot it in the first place.
Im sory, but that just dont seem good enough. :-/
I mean ...

Slow fall ... permanent effect would be nice, but i dont believe Larian would approve. laugh
And make it skill you need to activate and then hope it will be used when needed, just as Hellish Rebuke just dont seem good enough. :-/

Deflect missiles ...
That is practicaly the same, its situational utility ... to make it automatic means to make it useless in many situations. :-/

Especialy since Swen himself allready told us that they are curently working on better reaction system. smile
Im sory, but that just dont seem good enough. :-/
I mean ...

Slow fall ... permanent effect would be nice, but i dont believe Larian would approve. laugh
And make it skill you need to activate and then hope it will be used when needed, just as Hellish Rebuke just dont seem good enough. :-/

Deflect missiles ...
That is practicaly the same, its situational utility ... to make it automatic means to make it useless in many situations. :-/

Especialy since Swen himself allready told us that they are curently working on better reaction system. smile

I'm not sure why Larian wouldn't approve of a permanent feather fall effect on the monk. That's basically what the slow fall power is. No need for a reaction, not really.

I'm not sure what you're saying about deflect missiles. I don't follow what you mean.

A toggle to catch/deflect missiles... that's not automatic, that's a toggle. It's either on or off, depending on your choice.

Then a toggle that says whether you're going to spend a ki point and make a ranged attack if you happen to catch a missile.

I suppose it would be nice if there were better options, and I hope Larian comes up with something grand. But in the meantime, I don't think the toggle solution is bad.

Better's always better, of course, but until then.
Its automatic, since that is what toggle is ...
Either its on, or its off ... but nothing in between ... you loose tactical option to decide if you wish to spend Ki point on this specific action in this specific situation ... either you had it on before and then you simply loose your Ki point automaticly no matter if you wish that or not ... or you had it off before and then you simply cannot use this option no matter if you wish that or not.

That is exactly what i hate with burning passion, on Hellish Rebuke ...
Im fightint Bugbear and spend my extremely precious Spell Slot on Warlock ... obviously hoping that this Bugbear will hit me and will get HARD revenge ... just to be hit by some stupid lowly common goblin (sometimes even with last single HP) and give him 2d10 damage as reaction ... in other words i just spend half my spellslots i had at disposal to give 1damage and waste up to 19. -_-
There is simply no way for you to plan this in any way, except killing every weak creature and then start focusing to Strong one with everything you have at your disposal ... and that is also bullshit, since its much faster, better and more effective to first kill the Bugbear with regular attacks and then mess with lowly insignificant goblins that give hardly 1/3 of his damage. laugh

This is something that is acceptable from amateur moder ...
But certainly not from "proffesionals". :-/
A big thing about deflect missiles is that you should be able to throw the arrow at any target, not just the one who attacked you. Which is impossible with an automated reactions.
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
A big thing about deflect missiles is that you should be able to throw the arrow at any target, not just the one who attacked you. Which is impossible with an automated reactions.

Sure, I agree. It would be nice. Until then, I just don't think it's the end of the world. I'm okay with the way it is now, and I'd be happy with something even better in the future.
Originally Posted by JandK
Originally Posted by mrfuji3

Sure, I agree. It would be nice. Until then, I just don't think it's the end of the world. I'm okay with the way it is now, and I'd be happy with something even better in the future.
Yeah. Unlike counterspell/shield/absorb elements, nothing integral is lost if Deflect Missiles was a toggle. The monk probably wouldn't want to their reaction for a better opportunity, but simply deflect the first missile that came their way. Similarly, I (as a monk) probably wouldn't try to save my reaction for a possible Deflect Missiles if I was given the chance to AoO. So a first-come-first-serve toggle is mostly fine.
Umm "Automated"..But away from the joker I am it would make it a little too OP
Im really curious about how will Larian implement deflect missiles for Elemental Arrows ...
I mean right now even if your enemy miss, you are surrounded by flames ... would that work this way even for Monk? Or will he be able to destroy enemy concentration with their own Arrow? smile
HMM.. Tiefling monk?
Im really curious about how will Larian implement deflect missiles for Elemental Arrows ...
I mean right now even if your enemy miss, you are surrounded by flames ... would that work this way even for Monk? Or will he be able to destroy enemy concentration with their own Arrow? smile

You do realise those arrows have a 60 litre tank on the tip hence the 20 meter radius of crap all over the joint? The tip of the arrow is a pocket dimension that allows the 60 kg arrow to be fired from a bow using Dr Who technology.

But seriously I thought the monk catches them for some reason.
Just for people's consideration and information during the discussion:
In core rules, the Monk's deflect missiles is a reaction, and they first attempt to reduce the damage, so the progression is:

- Roll to hit
- If hit then damage is calculated
- Then monk uses Deflect Missiles; reduces damage by their roll plus modifiers.
- IF damage is reduced to Zero, Monk catches projectile if they can reasonably hold it in one hand.
- IF monk catches projectile, Monk has the *Option* of spending a Ki point to immediately make an attack with the projectile at any other creature in range - including the original attacker if they wish.
You do realise those arrows have a 60 litre tank on the tip hence the 20 meter radius of crap all over the joint? The tip of the arrow is a pocket dimension that allows the 60 kg arrow to be fired from a bow using Dr Who technology.

But seriously I thought the monk catches them for some reason.
I believe i can imagine that ...

Originally Posted by Niara
Just for people's consideration and information during the discussion:
In core rules, the Monk's deflect missiles is a reaction, and they first attempt to reduce the damage, so the progression is:

- Roll to hit
- If hit then damage is calculated
- Then monk uses Deflect Missiles; reduces damage by their roll plus modifiers.
- IF damage is reduced to Zero, Monk catches projectile if they can reasonably hold it in one hand.
- IF monk catches projectile, Monk has the *Option* of spending a Ki point to immediately make an attack with the projectile at any other creature in range - including the original attacker if they wish.
Question ...
I believe i do underatand the formulation reasonably hold it ... but just ro be sure is there option to wear a weapon but not actualy using it?
Just keep benefit from its enchantment but dont block both your hands.

I mean auntie is selling staff that gives you free resistance (i believe its 1d4 for saving throws if you are attacked and not wearing amy armor) wich is one of my favorite starting (and situational ... for example when you drunk Omeluum potion, or when you read necromany book ... another 1d4 to add to blessing is awesome) items for casters ... but i believe Monk (since its meele fighter) will really make it shine.

//Edit:
Like this:
[Linked Image from img0.joyreactor.com]
[Linked Image from alchetron.com]

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
I believe i do underatand the formulation reasonably hold it ... but just ro be sure is there option to wear a weapon but not actualy using it?
Just keep benefit from its enchantment but dont block both your hands.

Generally speaking, no, but there are always exceptions.

Magic items, regardless of what they are, must be equipped properly to provide their benefit - so a shield that provides a passive magic effect of some kind must be actively wielded in one hand to provide its benefit, just as magic boots must be worn on the feet correctly to provide their benefit.

There will be exceptions - in particular, many wondrous items don't really have any particular 'position' they should be worn and can do their thing just by being on your person. A Luck Stone, is an example of this.

Some attunement items will grant their benefit as long as they're on your person and you're attuned to them, but if so, they will say so explicitly. Generally speaking, if an item or object is meant to be worn or wielded in a particular way, then it should be in order to grant any benefit.
I see ...
So i can only hope that quarterstaff will get Versatile attribute so my monk can keep one hand empty. Corect?

//Edit:
Incorect. laugh
Acording to this discusion: https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/6d1h63/if_a_monk_uses_a_quarterstaff_with_2_hands_for/

Monk uses both hands only when attacking with quarterstaff ... so he can easily use all benefits ... 1d8 dmg, bonus unarmed strike (or flurry of blows), and deflect missile.
Thats a relief.
Quarterstaves should absolutely have the versatile property, yes...

However (just to confirm and clarify the link), if it's about being able to have a free hand to do something, then you don't need to worry - two-handed weapons only need you to be holding them with both hands when you actually use them - you can take one hand off at any other time to, say, pull a lever, or possibly deflect a missile. A two-handing paladin does not have to put their greatsword away in order to do the somatic components of a spell - they can just take one hand off the sword temporarily while they're not actively swinging it about. By contrast, someone using a sword and shield cannot free up hand to pull a lever or the like without having to drop or stow something - but someone using a two-handed weapon (or a versatile one with both hands), and only a two-handed weapon, can temporarily free one hand to use it for other things, without having the use any part of their turn economy.
Isn't a one handed quarter staff and eighth staff? Or a stick? smile
Well, since a quarterstaff is more or less analogous to a bo-staff, an implicitly one-handed shortened version would be a jo-staff ^.^
Ming! I must now make a sorcerer that looks like him! While singing Queen (of course). Lol
Originally Posted by timebean
Ming! I must now make a sorcerer that looks like him! While singing Queen (of course). Lol

Is he a Red Wizard of Thay or an independent megalomaniac?
© Larian Studios forums