Larian Studios
Lets say you could recruit any NPC from the patch 6 game into your party: who would you choose?

If you could complete a recruitment quest to get them in your party, what might it be?

If you got to respec their Attributes, Background or Class from a mini char creation menu what stats would pick for your fav NPCs?

Would you want to change their hair or makeup or cosmetic features if you could do so at camp?

What if you could do this for everyone and anyone you meet in the first act?

Do you like the idea?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Add to the list or the pic if you like. I think it would be fun if we could do something like this in-game for the EA!
Posted By: JandK Re: Who would you recruit from the Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 02:35 AM
Minthara, no question. I can only hope that they have a lot planned for her character. She won me over in the scene where, after her vulnerability was revealed, she said, "You belong to me now, and I belong to you."

She is easily the most fascinating and compelling character, in my opinion.

Failing that, I would recruit a goblin, and I suppose Sazza would do. I've never seen a game that did goblins better than this one. It begs to have a goblin as a companion, they're done so well.
friendly tiefling woman...and that's it.
Posted By: Icelyn Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 02:44 AM
Halsin!!!
Posted By: timebean Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 02:52 AM
Aradin. I like his voice actor alot. I also think he would be fun to have in the group because he is not rich, vain, whiny, or tortured. Just a classic street kid turned adventurer. I would love for him to deliver some choice verbal smack downs to the others when they get on a pontificating kick. The dialogue basically writes itself.

If not him…Sazza or the pain fetish dude. For the funnies.

Least favs…milk toast chars the crying bard and the soul coin tiefling. Minthara and Zevlor and Halsin should remain in their respective roles in the gameworld instead of being shoehorned in.

But honestly…I want new chars for the group, not any of these random npcs. I am not a fan of having everyone u meet be a potential recruit. I prefer chars that have a viable and at least semi-believable reason for traveling with me
Posted By: Black_Elk Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 02:59 AM
Hehe and so now the General idea: The Early Bird Special!

I just took from this post made earlier tonight. What if we could do this recruitment concept not just for our favorite and most worthy NPC, but for any NPC?

I mean for the EA experience, not necessarily what ends up in the final game. Just something to keep us entertained during the interim, using tools already at our disposal. Basically the models we've seen, with a mini char creation prompt when they get recruited to respec, after completing whatever sort of mission makes sense to bring them into the fold.

Anyone and Everyone who makes an appearance in the first act, is just so we aren't gatekeeping our tastes. All the NPCs that people are listing- above and below. The whole spread! Everyone has their price, some thing we can do as a player to get them into the mix. Anyone could potentially join the team. Would that be fun? For now, while we wait for New Characters?

The idea is to open up Companions other than the Origins, and do it in a way that's fun and engaging, but still true to the content thus far. Build our parties not out of Mercs really, but from the NPCs that already exist! The advantage would be that these characters already exist in the game, and so many already have story-ins and potential motivations to join up. Most could have some barks, simple stuff "Leave it for the Goblins to Kill" and the EA player could conceivably recruit anyone they want! If they like the NPC and want to complete that NPC's recruitment quest.

The Early Bird Special

NPC action figures we can collect at camp, and use on our adventures. Every NPC who has a little cutscene could graduate from NPC to PC! Wouldn't that be rad!

Aradin's Bark: ".... Form a Line!" hehe
Posted By: Icelyn Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by Black_Elk
Aradin's Bark: ".... Form a Line!" hehe
Aradin’s bark would be “Run away!”
Posted By: Black_Elk Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 03:21 AM
Better! Way better! You got the idea!

hehe
Posted By: ALexws Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 03:55 AM
it's kinda a spoiler to put that woman in those photos
the tiefling with broken horns is Karlach. that's how she actually going to look like and She's actually going to be your companion. A real pair of broken horns. bigger model. a lot of scars and tattoos that show how Zarial marks her. And she's a paladin(apparently).
Posted By: Zarna Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 04:00 AM
True Soul Nere could be an interesting party member, especially if you manage to tell him there is no Absolute. Out of the ones you have listed I would probably say Sazza and Karlach and maybe Minthara. Depending on the type of character I am playing, I probably could find a reason to have almost any of them in the party. Just not the bard. I hate bards.
Posted By: Black_Elk Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 04:04 AM
Good point ALexws, I shopped Nettie over her instead to get a Dwarf in there. Just wanted to give an impression hehe

Now I wonder what Aradin would want from us to risk going back? lol

Like obviously you'd have to take his side in the first encounter with Zevlor, but then what?

True soul good call there!

Ps. Added Scratch up there just now from Niara's suggestion below. Rath too for another I liked. I think now they should all be pretty much early NPCs up there at the top, so hopefully not too spoilery for a header. Added a warning to the thread title just in case. Just wanted to show some flair for a visual and give the idea a little kick though. Maybe this could be my Early Bird Special dozen, but other players would of course have their own NPCs who they love. As the EA player finds new areas and discovers an NPC who they really dig, they can then explore further what's needed to recruit that NPC into their group, and have their own camp collection for EA to keep their favs around and play with them. Some might just want money, some might need persuasion checks, others a special task that convinces them to join up. The NPC stats could change over to PC stats at that point via a point buy just like the main PC, once they're recruited, just so they're not too OP or too weak.
Posted By: Sozz Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 04:05 AM
the sassy Tiefling scout watching the Githyanki on the bridge. Anyone?
Posted By: Black_Elk Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 04:23 AM
Definitely! Bridge Tief, why not! Need a new scout, how bout her? She seems to know what's what, and must be up to something out there right!

I think a mini quest written in text, combined with a bark or two could make pretty much anyone a winner. Then after a few months playing around with the concept, perhaps Larian can see who everyone picked or if any ideas they didn't think of before suddenly present themselves. This info could be used to inform their decisions about what makes an interesting potential companion in addition to just the Origins.
Posted By: Niara Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 04:37 AM
Hmmm..

Me, Scratch, Halsin and Abdirak, there Party Filled.
Posted By: Black_Elk Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 04:45 AM
Perfect Crew! grin

Posted By: Sozz Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 04:55 AM
I also remember thinking at one point that 'Novice Crusher' was certainly a companion available for people siding with the goblins, though it seems Sazza is the more popular choice.
Posted By: GM4Him Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 05:22 AM
Withers the Talkative Skeleton Guardian of Tombs, lol.

No, not really.

Minthara for sure and Karlach and Halsin, but I also liked Elegis, I think that's who they meant by tiefling on the bridge, and Nadira, the pink haired telescope tiefling. Oh, and dang, what's her name? The goblin with Volo.

Oh, and Mol... Lol.
Nettie. I really like the druid class, but I also like the sorcerer class, and that would allow me to have both in the party. smile
Posted By: fylimar Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 05:54 AM
Nette, Abdirak, Alfira (a Party needs a Bard) and Scratch as Camp companion.
Posted By: Black_Elk Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 07:39 AM
Heheh nice! I tossed in a few more of those mentions, and a few that I remembered having some flair near the start, just to give the further impression of what might be possible for wide net. Gotta get Gnome in there too and a Halfling right? Tuffet and Us? How about the Novice dream team? lol There's gotta be some fun combos already and that's just a handful really
grin

While i would normaly say Halsin, or Minthara ...
They were requested so hard so if we ever get pur hands on NPC companions i dare to say that they are granted.

So i would be a little tactical here and say Abdirak.
And to explain my choose ... just inagine:
You know how companions say "Ha!" when enemy misses them? I would love to hear Abdirak say dissapointed "Aw..."

Wouldnt that be hilarious? 🤣
Alfira. A little bit of art is always welcome.
Halsin and Aradin
@Maximuuus

Aradin seriously?
Posted By: Sozz Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 10:26 AM
magga camara! that's getting crowded
Posted By: Dexai Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 10:48 AM
Nettie is probably my favourite NPC. I also like the antler-druid arguing with Snek-Druid, he's probably the most druidy druid in the camp to my senses.

The tiefling child-conner -- Mattis? -- is a definite member of my group. A party needs a Rogue after all. He gets a special ability where he throws the shy tiefling child at the enemy to distract them.

Then the Squirrel. Barbarian, obviously.

I also wouldn't mind the Hobgoblin leader guy or the Scholar Goblin.

Edit: oh and if course the camaraderey goblin who says tribe! She is a must.
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 11:06 AM
Owlbear cub?

Probably Nettie - she seems like a good fit for a companion with a lot of room to grow. I also like her VO. Of course, aside from the fact that as a character she doesn’t have depth beyond “healer novice, who tries to kill you, as she can’t cure you”. But she does it in very sweet, considerate way. Girl has guts.
Halsin could send Nettie with you. I haven't seen Dwarf Druids before in games and her apprentice status matches the low level party.
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Naginata
@Maximuuus

Aradin seriously?

Definitely.
You know, that kind of companion that doesn't have to be an origin to side with you. I help you, you help me, then we're walking to BG.

He's a mercenary and exploring dangerous area can help him to become rich.

Just enough to add a companion a bit more basic. Which would be cool to add a bit more variety and a bit less wtf companions.
Posted By: Sozz Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 11:19 AM
I think if this thread has proved anything a lot of the bit players have been well written
Posted By: Black_Elk Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 12:23 PM
Haha fantastic! Yeah the crowd does seem to be growing! With some surprise darkhorse contenders too among the bit troupe! lol

Sure, at first it's Halsin's guns and Minthara's hair as the big box office draws! Scratch, no doubt!!!
But in our now newly imagined Drew Struzan poster banner montage of the games "most awesomest" ...

Nettie and Abdirak and Aradin in the running too! (who knew?!)
With random Gobbos getting some surprising love!

Might have to update that header image for a top 12/24 BG style on the previous page, to truly reflect our ultimate B-team tastes now revealing themselves! Hilarity! And good fun! "I'm Larry, this is my brother Darryl, and this is my other brother Darryl" choose your own adventure style heheh

The Owlbear cub!!!

How could I forget? Probably will end up being Tuffet's arch nemesis, once I copypaste the Owlbear cub over Sleepybear. After I sleep for a few more hours or the list grows like a magic beanstalk lol
Posted By: Dexai Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 12:36 PM
I'd rather have the fishing bear than Tuffet. Gotta have somebody scrounge up the dinner in the wilds
My vote is Lakrissa the Tiefling, one of the only cheerful characters.

Or Omeleum in a party with Laezel… worth it just for the banter.
Sazza
Gandrel
Halsin
Karlach
Nice!

Here's a little splash screen art for you guys, just while we're waiting for this thing to load up lol

You know, for inspiration! hehehe

Whoops, almost forgot the Owlbear again! There we go, back on track

Abomination this isyour end!? or perhaps the secret sauce we've all been missing!?
grin
Originally Posted by organichilimango

Lakrissa, is she the flirty better?
Originally Posted by Dexai

Lakrissa, is she the flirty better?

She is.
There ya go! She's on the bottom left right? Added another row.

Look at that 30! Already better variety in comps than BG1/2 haha. Well done everyone!

Keep it going however long you like. I think it'd be fun for sure! Doubtless there would be substitutions, but least it gives a gist! Clearly a little heavy on Druids, Tiefs and Gobbos, but just imagine when we get some more Gnomes and Dwarves and whatnot!

Omeleum is a great idea, mind flayer in the party is very cool. Because this is that mysterious race of antagonists that cannot be created in the editor - very attractive.

Abdirak would be good as a follower in the camp, but not a full-fledged companion
I have a feeling that those who want Minthara to become a companion will get their wish, based on how consistently they are altering Minthara's appearance from patch to patch, and the amount of effort they put into her romance scenes. I'll be surprised if she doesn't turn out to be a companion later on in the story. Too much time and money spent on her to be a throw away character.
I absolutely do not see Halsin as a companion. His role in the story is NPC leader and mentor, not adventuring companion. There can not be a level 4 "Archdruid" or "First Druid of Emerald Grove". I don't care how cool or hot he is as a character, everyone needs to play the part that's written for them.

The only way I could see him as companion is BG3 level 10+ end game if his circle is destroyed or overtaken.

Counsilor Florrick would make more sense as a companion than Halsin even though she has her own responsibilities as well.
Minthara seems like the obvious first pick, IMO. Pretty much the only reason to choose the evil path right now. And the way you bleed companions in Act I if you go the evil route, I think you could really use some route-specific companions to fill in the gaps left.

Aside from that I think both Kahga and Nettie would make for nice druid companions. Nettie being Halsin's apprentice would be a good choice for him to follow you along and see that his interests are represented, and If you sway Kahga from the Shadow druids route she could be a good pick to follow along also since she's either banished or in Halsin's eyes has to redeem herself. I like Halsin, but it seems weird to me that he'd run away from the grove again so soon after it almost fell to ruin in his absence over a few hours. Make much more sense IMO for him to send a proxy.

The Tiefling Bard-I know a lot of people already like her, but there's even a line of dialogue (that most people probably don't see) that she has where she muses becoming an adventurer.

Sazza. If she doesn't die in a crossbow-accident or get fed to spiders she's kinda in a bit of limbo. I liked her. Would be neat to have her as a camp companion.

Windmill gnome (can't remember his name atm) He graduated to camp follower in the last patch. Perhaps being a full companion is in his future?

Abdirak. How else am I going to renew that amazing buff he gives out? But in seriousness, he's a really memorable guy with a pretty unique look and a really intense personality. Him as a camp follower would be pretty neat. Don't think he'd work as a companion though.

Here ya go! Gotta have Florrick right! And tossed a few more in there...

Don't get sad bottom row, its ok! We know you'll still have top billing in the end lol

hehehe

I think its safe to say opinions will be wildly divergent, but the fun part is that it's just an EA novelty idea. Surely not every bit cast member would make the cut, and of course some would already have their Act 2 narrative requirements that might make them not a candidate at all in the finals. But it's not like it has to be all perfected for the final game to work for now. Just something entertaining to keep us busy during EA. But also to actually do something in a way that allows the collecting of some telemetry. Just to see who peaked interest and who players responded to, and find out who our EA Boba Fetts are? lol

Doesn't have to be all Highlander where "There can be only one!" Might as well just try anyone who works and see who the fan favs truly are heheh
Yeah, the characters in this game really are done well. The writing is great, and the voice acting is top notch. One of the things I love about Nettie, for instance, is that she exudes a sense of gravitas.

I was just thinking of another goblin I love. I don't know her name, but she's one of the goblins there with Crusher, like she's in his fan club. In the cut scene, she says something like, "Oh, you got him good!"

There's so much character and personality buried in that one line.
Posted By: GM4Him Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 05:30 PM
Oh! I almost forgot! Smacking forehead!

The Mask of Vengeance! The half-drow with the warhammer. And, well, the other masks too, but she interested me the most. And I'd love more story for her and her companions.
In fact, I would prefer good written characters with lots of cast scenes, personal history, quests and drama, and not just cannon fodder in my party. I think it would be really interesting to add such unique personalities as Omeleum to the party, maybe some other races that cannot be created in the editor. Like Sten Qunari in Dragon Age Origin, it was cool.

Maybe some Aasimar or some demon. It seems to me that Laezel would be more popular if it was NOT possible for the main character to play as Gith. She would have a charm of mystery, something different
Posted By: Black_Elk Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 07:53 PM
Yeah I tend to agree. There's a certain charm to rolling with an option not strictly allowed in regular PC char creation. Also explains the Gobbo popularity. I think that might be an advantage over a Mercenary type merchant system, since characters already included in Act 1 have some story ins and unique flair. If some narrative conceit could be devised for why the char gets respec'd to further bring it into the story that would be fun. Like after you do whatever persuasive antics are required to convince the character to enlist. After that initial Q "What would it take? To drop all this and join us on this Quest!" the NPC plays hard to get with their thing, their true motivator. Their hearts desire. But once that's achieved the Char can join up, and be respec'd as a PC.

Perhaps there is a powerful artifact which exists, that grants a narrative power over these NPCs - the mind trick! Which in piratical EA terms transforms the NPC into a PC. When that happens some things can be respec'd at the more normal PC level, so an Om might still key off the standard point buy, but nevertheless remain an Om. At least in the look and the flavor.

Based on the information gathered, perhaps that signals to the developer that this NPC might be a good one to develop further. The fun is that they all at least have some characterization suggested whether by their looks or their one liners. Even some of the monsters, at least the ones that aren't insta hostile towards you could work in that way. The price of admission might be rather steep.

Like I don't know what it takes to get an Om, or a rando Gith on patrol to actually be persuaded enough to come along for the ride. But that's their fun invention prompt. What would it take? And then we get that to explore that, in the EA context, with some sense of reward and variety.

Lae'zel, Shadowheart, Astarion, Gale and Wyll all disapprove of the idea- in a rare moment of complete unanimity.
But what will your PC do?
grin
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
In fact, I would prefer good written characters with lots of cast scenes, personal history, quests and drama, and not just cannon fodder in my party. I think it would be really interesting to add such unique personalities as Omeleum to the party, maybe some other races that cannot be created in the editor. Like Sten Qunari in Dragon Age Origin, it was cool.

Maybe some Aasimar or some demon. It seems to me that Laezel would be more popular if it was NOT possible for the main character to play as Gith. She would have a charm of mystery, something different

Same for Wyll, really. MC feels like a watered down version of them, and no one feels nearly as unique as they should. Shame 'cause warlocks are pretty cool, and dipping into paladin for redemption is always fun.

Anyhow, i'd say Lakrissa (the thiefling archer?) and the leader of the kids. The latter is my kind of antagonistic, playful ribbing kind of thing, and i want to adopt her or something, while the former is one of the few characters in the EA who feel both capable and average.
Posted By: Nyanko Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 20/10/21 08:35 PM
Minthara for sure. Best NPC in act 1 for me.
Posted By: Dez Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 21/10/21 12:25 AM
The owlbear cub. ALWAYS.

Second choice would be any druid (that is not Kadga). Alfira would be my third choice. After that... I don't know, maybe the cleric of Loviatar (... he is a cleric, right?). Maybe Vol(v)o? laugh

I like Gandrel (the monster hunter) too! And the three tieflings that are arguing whenever they should help the refugees or not! c:
Yeah very true. You definitely miss out on something when walking in someone else's shadow. I rather like the idea that standing next to many of these NPCs, the Player might feel rather more important in driving the story as opposed to just receiving it. But also not going so far that the story-ins are just eliminated and disappear, which is sort of what going all custom party or custom mercs would feel like. Having seen how mercenary type systems tend to work lately, and recalling how full custom tended to play (the old gold boxes say or IWD style) I'd think its actually more engaging if the player is given some props to work with. These NPCs already have some charm working in their favor, such that it'd feel more engaging to try a different class or whatever, as one of them. The Extras, the bit players, the indispensables!

They are sort of like in-between, not a total blank slate, not a fully developed character of the sort we see from Origin Companions, (or say the Lead stars/romance-type Companions of a BG2 or DA) but exist really more like prompts in this reimagining of what an EA experience could be.

They're serviceable templates because they're not fully spec'd out, but they're also a bit better than just Rando Pre-Gen Named Chars at a launch screen, which is another thing we see done in other games that's a little unsatisfying. Instead our bit players have just enough characterization to give an actual impression to work with and some gameplay oriented motivation or incentive to dig deeper, just from a collectors vibe. If customization within some reasonable parameters was on offer they could create the same flexibility in terms of class or builds that players like to test and tease out.

Also whatever challenge type rating is needed to make them function (strong or weak enough) as an NPC in the main campaign, that needn't necessarily translate into what attributes etc are available to them once recruited and graduating to Adventurer. The narrative for a Halsin or a Minthara getting knocked down a peg, or someone else getting bumped up, could be easily devised and explained away as party of the recruitment magic - the old mind trick working like lvl drain basically to put them just right for the experience. But they'd then have a way to get all the build variety on display at the appropriate scales.

It could be used as a vehicle to deliver plot webs too, that are simple on the face of it (basically one offs), but once strung together would make the whole thing more like a tapestry of competing goals. It's really more of an aesthetic choice here right. That one thing you liked about something in their look or their sound, the first impression, the delivery. Building off that gives the player ideas for characters and party comps and makes the whole process more endearing, more than just a second Custom main character could ever feel.

Here's an example... say for some reason Zorru is my favorite. Or I've just got a Zorru itch I need to scratch, cause I've gone that far down the line in EA hehe.

Perhaps in order to pull that off, I not only have to defend Zorru in the encounter with Lae'zel (meaning have Lae'zel in the party) but then he demands that the only way he could ever trust me after showing up with this Gith next me, is if I "prove it!" He requires the party to help him get revenge on the Gith and justice for his friends who were killed. Lae'zel balks, but the PC picks Zorru over her! She scowls and runs off. You've made an enemy from Creche K'liir!!!

Now the PC's goal is to complete the Gith fight somehow, for a unique challenge. They'd have to get there first though, without Lae'zel now. Pretty tall order, since she's the top fighter in the game. So that probably takes some effort. But wait! Turns out, when the party finally arrives to the Gith fight, now Lae'zel is among the Patrol! She must have found them on her own somehow while the party was off trying to level!? Now the party must defeat her as well as the rest of Patrol! What's more, she's already taken some of that Gith purification medicine, and her stats have been restored to a more OP Gith NPC Monster status. The power level her character projects throughout the story basically, that you took for a sham, but this time it's for real and on full display. Sure it's all a hell of a lot of work to go through just to get Zorru on my team, but it would be fun.

When the fight is finished Zorru steps in and loots Lae'zel's armor and keeps it for himself. Gives a little bark that mentions his friends again, totally self satisfied. Now he's sworn to the team! He would follow you anywhere.

Zorru! Who bows to no one!

And when he gets back to the Tiefling camp, Zevlor smiles at him and the kids bring him candy. Everyone is gathered around him and they all chant his name as soon as he arrives at the celebration. Nymessa is there too, standing nearby, smiling right at him. What a guy! that Zorru!

It was so worth it

grin

ps. Oh for sure the 3 arguing Tiefs! How could I forget! We'll need another row here soon! hehe
Eliette. 😏

You know, the High Elf Spider Matriarch Arachnomancer.
[Linked Image from 1.bp.blogspot.com]

Or Qudenos... YEE

[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]

Or best of all:

DEAD HALSIN![Linked Image from 1.bp.blogspot.com]

👹
Posted By: Aazo Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 21/10/21 03:17 AM
I honestly want more options, especially from under-dark (drow, svirfneblin, flumph's, and duergar to name a few). And they don't necessarily have to be evil or good (neutral aligned personality's would be more adaptable to various party make ups). I definitely l want more female options as well to interact with. As my primary theme character I make will be a true neutral based alignment, and most occasions a drow or wood elf (unless they bring in Shadar Kai as an option then I would play that). I don't mind some color in the personality's, but defiantly not the extreme drama queens that are currently available as "origin" characters. As I am just not a fan of those in their current incarnation.
Posted By: Black_Elk Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 21/10/21 03:31 AM
Wow Qudenos!?

Ok now that is a genuine challenge, but perhaps still workable!

How about...

First the PC would probably need to meet a few pre-requisites here, say a Draconic Bloodline, or super high INT or CHA before the Dragon would even bother, just out of pure bemusement or boredom perhaps lol. Then he demands that in order to bask in full glory, the PC must do all the following: Feed him the Blade of Frontiers as an aperitif, then Shadowheart and her Gith Artifact, Gale and his magic flute, Astarion's fangs, the idol of Sylvanus along with both Halsin's arms, and Minthara's head with her amulet. Once his appetite is sated and he's finished his main course, he'll also demand the Circlet of Intellect for an after dinner mint.

At this point Qudenos will agree to accompany the PC to ravage and despoil the land for a few minutes, like he'd been meaning to anyway.

When all is said and done, and this little corner of Faerun is dust and ashes, then and only then, will he also eat the PC too lol

grin

Yeah!!! the whole Underdark crew has so much promise too, fully!
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Or best of all:

👹
Blocked!!! 😜
Yeah that's definitely an affront to Nature right there! 😮
And also...

We all know that if Halsin ever ended up as a ghost, then Unchained Melody would immediately start playing, and Silvanus would send a pottery wheel down from the clouds with a cinematic like the one from the film Ghost 1990. Dryad tears would restore him to life, so he can hold us again, and reach out across the planes with those arms. He'll tell us everything is going to be alright. No matter what happens. These guns don't die! (that's probably why the dragon wanted them. But what Qudenos couldn't know is that Halsin's guns were just biding their time! To destroy the Red Dragon in the end, with force flexes from the inside out!) And the PC then learns the important moral lesson that Halsin's guns are like the Moon and the Sun and the mighty Oak - enduring, timeless, immortal. Pretty much exactly like Scratch!

heheh
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Or best of all:

👹
Blocked!!! 😜

Ok. Ok. Jk. Jk. 🤣
Ok... Here's another. Auntie Ethel. Lol. I want her in my party so she can constantly mock my enemies.
Auntie Ethel is the best, I agree (after Scratch of course).
Originally Posted by Black_Elk
Wow Qudenos!?

But, you can bypass all of those stiff requirements, as long as you're a red dragonblood sorcerer and you pursue the romance option instead

... Linna, my little halfling, thinks she's going to need some more spells before attempting this.

When all is said and done, and this little corner of Faerun is dust and ashes, then and only then, will he also eat the PC

I mean... even if it's coming from a dragon, that's still a lot of effort to go to for a bit of tongue -*smacked*
Shovel as a familiar for arcane spellcasters. I kind of miss the little ball of evil glee, in patch 6 my sorcerer couldn't even talk to him because of a bug.
This start to feel a little like randomly picking any name from game laugh
Yeah a bit, but then that's the charm right? Does it work in the final game - maybe not so well, but it would be damn entertaining for an Early Access experience!

Instead of gatekeeping our crews and trying to anticipate our every wish in a single 5 course meal, instead it becomes like an endless EA buffet - all you can eat! Speaking of which

Originally Posted by Niara
But, you can bypass all of those stiff requirements, as long as you're a red dragonblood sorcerer and you pursue the romance option instead

Qudenos has doubtless had centuries to perfect his technique and sense of timing. Some things are worth the wait!

Abdirak completely Approves - and now has so so many questions for the PC!

Heheh Brilliant!
Ah. Tis just for fun, Ragnarok. Personally, I'd love it if they did a buffet of characters to recruit, but I highly doubt they will. Too many voice actors = too much money to pull it off. As it is, I'm afraid they've bitten off way more than they can chew. It would have been so much easier to not do all that voice acting. Then they could have allowed a myriad of companions without a gazillion tons of work and money for voice acting.

But we'll see. I say, the more companions they allow us to recruit, the merrier, if they can legitimately pull it off.
Yeah exactly! Oh also, another thing they could do to make it feel extra special would be to make this feature something the player can access only after playing the Act1 campaign to completion at least once.

Like that's when the player gets their magic mind control EA artifact which allows their next character to do the NPC recruitment stuff on their next run, just to maintain engagement. A little unlock and congrats for playing and helping them test out the core material. I think it would definitely make me want to try again, and feel pretty rewarding!
Ellyka anyone?
Because i really need an archer which is female...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Oh. Her....I accidentally talked to her with Laezel....RIP.
Posted By: eloi Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 24/10/21 12:39 PM
Great choice, I second it! Abdirak and Halsin would have some interesting dialogues as well.
Here ya go... tossed her in and added a few more for your scrolling amusement lol

I arranged it this time in rows of 5, since I'm in the 6 character party camp and this way you can imagine your PC as the missing slot among the many randos. Least it gives a quick read just for kicks heheh

grin

Here's 50...

That's quite a few, but doesn't it already feel like 50 times more epic? hehe

Ps. Doh forgot Shovel! We'll get him next time! Lol
The bugbear. No question.

(That randy old goat would be fun…lol)
I just want Gandrel's clothes honestly
Posted By: Black_Elk Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 06/08/22 03:43 AM
So just as a follow up, but I think a system of NPC recruitment could also be a way to engage the player after they hit the level cap.

The main idea being that even if your MC is maxed out for the EA, you could then recruit Zorru or whoever as a lvl1 companion and level them up. Perhaps there is enough content to get a whole B crew going? Build up a gang from the grove or the goblin camp into real adventures. Sure they'd only have their "barks" from their one liners for characterization, but every NPC we meet does have some character built in just from that. To me this would be more fun than a Mercenary scheme, while giving a similar level of variety. Perhaps not every single NPC is recruitable, but it would be cool if it actually was every single NPC with a crazy enough roll hehe. Still you hit the fan favs at least, and also get telemetry on who people chose to have tag along. Even if it's just for EA Act I, that'd be a fun way to keep it lively.
Posted By: lolwut77 Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 06/08/22 05:59 AM
Honestly? None of the above, I'm fine with Astarion. Okay, okay... Maybe Lump the Enlightened? He's not listed, but I'd take him.
Posted By: Black_Elk Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 06/08/22 06:15 AM
It does raise an interesting dilemma, like what would it take to persuade Lump to tag along? My thought would definitely be that for starters, you have to feed him another one of your companions as a trade off. Maybe not Astarion, but somebody a little fresher? Or if you feed him Gale, better watch out after a few long rests, as that could get dicey lol.
Posted By: gaymer Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 06/08/22 07:14 AM
Minthara would be interesting. That Soul Branding bonus action buff.

I wouldn't mind taking Filro, however.
You'd have to reduce him anytime you wanna go through the door...
+100000 to the Omeluum comments.
Disappointed no one has said Spaw or Glut, given you can do so many quests for Spaw to upgrade your standing with the Myconids. I think having a myconid join the team would be interesting.
Posted By: Ranxerox Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 07/08/22 11:56 PM
Excellent thread, so many good ideas.
Posted By: fallenj Re: Who would you recruit from Act 1 NPCs? - 08/08/22 05:32 PM
I could see this as a mod but not a game feature, if anything well probably get a create your own companion in act 2. That's if they keep to the divinity series feature.

I'd probably recruit Lakrissa or/and Nadira, could see Nadira being a rogue and Lakrissa being a ranger. Changing appearance wise would be a pass, not big on editing existing npcs.

Cool idea though, would be a nice replacement to the create your own that was in divinity.
© Larian Studios forums