Larian Studios
Posted By: JandK What are your favorite builds? - 25/11/21 05:36 AM
Any interesting builds you have or equipment combos worth mentioning? What's your favorite character class/build?

I recently started playing a Githyanki Wizard, and I'm impressed.

At 4th level, the character has an 18 Int and an 18 Str. Wears medium armor, wields a great sword.

I suppose I was most surprised by the number of hit points the character walks around with.

I start the day off with a 2nd level casting of Armor of Agathys, then immediately replenish that slot, giving me a full amount of spell slots available for casting.

Because of the armor spell, I end up with my normal hit points (26, I believe), along with 22 extra temporary hit points. That's 10 from the armor spell, and I suppose 12 more coming from being an abjuration wizard.

So 48 hit points, plenty of spells, 16 AC without enhancement, the ability to jump all over the place, and a great sword if I want to get close up, along with Athletics to resist being shoved.

Not too shabby, right?
Posted By: Niathlak Re: What are your favorite builds? - 25/11/21 09:46 AM
oh, wow.. Githyanki have prof with medium armor? Nice. Guess you can skip mage armor then!

I personally spent the most time with my Drow fiend lock with Eldritch Blast funtimes.
Hex + scorching ray=death + shatter for aoe + misty step for getting away if needed and armor of agathyss for extra hp.
Now in EA I usually grab either 13, 15 or 16 points in dex depending if i plan to take moderately armored at lvl 4 etc (which also gives +1dex)
or just pump charisma to 18. (although you can do this with volos eye and hag hair)

With Githyanki half plate (overpowered) i get 15 ac + 2 from dex + 2 from shield. 19 total on a lvl 4 warlock.
As a drow you can also use the rapier from nere which scales from your finesse.
I made an adamantine shield too.

I somehow ended up making a fiend warlock hexblade-esque hybrid.
Although most of the time its just hexing and blasting.
Posted By: fylimar Re: What are your favorite builds? - 25/11/21 10:00 AM
My last playthrough was a sorcerlock. I played tiefling, draconic sorceress and took the fest warlock initiate. It was a lot of fun. Hex is really great as a spell. I have my girl a decent dex too, for armorclass.
The build was from Wolfheart, really fun playthrough.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: What are your favorite builds? - 25/11/21 10:57 AM
I dont think i get into any specific "builds" in this game ...
But personaly i have much fun with combining certain items ...

I have tryed the Elite Sniper that is also described here on forum ... but i really hate crossbows, so even tho it was stronger i had to let it go and return to my bow archer. :3
In the future i would like to try to combine it somehow with that bow from Auntie ... and Ranger instead of Rogue ... or maybe multiclass, or some other way to get my hands on Hunters Mark to futher incerase my damage outcome? Dunno. laugh

The best one for me is pure Warlock with fire "build" that simply contains from items that allow you futher incerase power of Scorching Ray ... meaning gloves for cause burning from fire damage, ring that gives you +1 to every Fire Damage roll and gead piece (i only dont use that crown that gives you Bonus Action ... i rather use that one that allows you to cast Scorching Ray for free).
Tricky part here was to find good weapon ... since staff or arcane blessing is useless for warlock, since you want to keep concentration for Hex instead of Bless ... and most meele weapons is useless if you dump Str ... finaly i decided to use free-resistance staff from Ethel ... but now im thinking about Nere's Rapier just in case i would be forced to use meele attack ...
(Of course this build can be aproximately twice as powerfull if you use it for Sorcerer with Warlock Initiate laugh )

I have also tryed Poisoner Build ... that would be interesting for Poison - Dragonblood Sorcerer on level 6, when he starts to add Cha modifier to that damages ... im really curious if that will improve just Ray of Sickness damage, or also Poisoners trait.
Staff of crones (free Ray of Sickness) + Poisoner robe (+1d4) + Ring of poison resistance (halven the damage staff curse gives you) + Illmater Aid (+1d4 if you have 50% hp or less ... wich is quite easy to achieve since you keep damaging yourself laugh a little ) + Gloves of Power (im not sure if they still work for spells on Patch 6 ... since i believe i gived them on Astarion when i played this ... but i know in the past i was using them with my Warlock and they were causing Bane to anyone my direct spells hit)
So in the end ... lots of damage, free bane for two targets and potentialy poisoned that also cause them attack with disadvantage. :3
Especialy fun with Twinned spell, my Sorcerer was best debuffer i have ever played. laugh :3

But i believe the most OP i have tryed so far ... was Life Cleric ...
I mean if you combine it right (wich isnt really hard, since all items wich effect says "when you heal..." goes for the cleric anyway laugh it only takes some time, since they are spreaded across whole Act 1) ... you are able to create character that is with single spell (Channel Divinity, wich replenish during Short Rest) able to heal whole party and every friendly target around ... give everyone free disengage, free blessing for one round, 3 temporarily hit points, and free Blade Ward, while also heal youreself for aproximately thrice amount of your full HP ... that is certainly not a bad deal. laugh
Once again i was kinda struggling with weapon for this "build" ... but eventualy i decided to use Vision of the Absolute ... since it can cause Blinded, wich let my party members to attack with advantage. :3

Curently im struggling with trying to find some uses for Mourning Frost ... but i didnt find any. frown
That staff is simply shit. -_-

I also never understanded how to properly play Moon Druid. :-/
I mean most artefacts have zero effects on you, when you are shapeshifter anyway. laugh
Posted By: JandK Re: What are your favorite builds? - 28/11/21 12:59 AM
Yeah, the hex ability couple with scorching ray gives so much potential for damage. That's the kind of thing that would hurt if the NPCs started doing it to us, lol.

Could you imagine having to fight Nere if he was built as a sorcerlock?

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
But personaly i have much fun with combining certain items ...

I spend a lot of time considering different item combinations also.

Recently, I was disappointed by the Gloves of Flint & Steel. I put them on Lae'zel along with Everburn, but I couldn't get the effect to trigger more than once. At first, I thought it was bugged because it just wouldn't trigger. No one was catching on fire. And then in one fight, an ogre caught on fire after getting hit.

But I feel like that ogre had to roll a 1 or something because no one else anywhere else caught fire.

My guess is that it's a super easy target number for the save (like maybe as easy as 5), and the targets are probably even getting advantage.

Very disappointing. I really wanted it to work well as a combination.
Posted By: Arbas Re: What are your favorite builds? - 28/11/21 02:12 PM
My current build is a dwarven Ranger with the Soldier background and sub class of Bounty hunter and Urban tracker. Good range of skills, can fight, sneak and picklocks/disarm traps.
Posted By: Scales & Fangs Re: What are your favorite builds? - 29/11/21 07:23 PM
I really like mobile casters in the sense of having a faster movement speed across the battlefield. Crusher's ring was very useful.

I have also found dual wielding hand crossbows to be very useful for my drow sorcerer in the fight against the Grym. I do prefer a rapier or spells but on that fight it was a very useful thing to do.
Posted By: Moradin's hammer Re: What are your favorite builds? - 30/11/21 03:33 PM
I'm going to play a gold dwarf life cleric with 18 con and Resilient (con) feat at level 4 on release. A versatile tank/support, very hard to take down, hopefully. Taking resilient to almost never lose concentration on Spirit Guardians.
Posted By: Boblawblah Re: What are your favorite builds? - 30/11/21 04:43 PM
I play Skyrim so...sneaky archer or in your face sword and board tank. No middle ground.
Posted By: TomReneth Re: What are your favorite builds? - 03/12/21 09:53 AM
Overall, I'd say I've had the most fun with melee Ranger.
Human
Folk Hero / Outlander / Noble
Keeper of the Veil
Bounty Hunter / Beast Tamer
Hunter: Colossus Slayer
Two-weapon style
Posted By: RumRunner151 Re: What are your favorite builds? - 03/12/21 02:55 PM
STR based Cleric of Light is the most solid build I've played (over 500 hrs). Though I enjoy weapon master, STR ranger, and Sorlock.
Posted By: Niathlak Re: What are your favorite builds? - 05/12/21 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by RumRunner151
STR based Cleric of Light is the most solid build I've played (over 500 hrs).
sounds interesting, care to share a bit more? race and build etc
Posted By: avahZ Darkwood Re: What are your favorite builds? - 05/12/21 05:26 AM
What’s a sorlock build?
Posted By: fylimar Re: What are your favorite builds? - 05/12/21 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by avahZ Darkwood
What’s a sorlock build?

I explained it in my post: you make a sorcerer and take the warlock initiate fest and of course Hex and Eldritch Blast. Very nice build.
Posted By: Merlex Re: What are your favorite builds? - 21/12/21 07:20 PM
Note, I play with several mods, and I can play to 6th level.
My favorite builds so far:

1. Half Drow Divine Soul Sorcerer, Urchin background, Evil Affinity (Inflict Wounds).
CHA 17(18)/ DEX 16/ CON 16/ with everything else at an 8. At 4th level I'll take Fey Touched Charisma (Misty Step and Hex).
Metas: Twinned Spell, Distant Spell (works great with Shocking Grasp, Inflict and Cure Wounds), Quicken Spell.
Cantrips: Guidance, Firebolt, Shocking Grasp, Lightning Lore, Mind Sliver.
Spells Known: Inflict Wounds, Mage Armor, Cure Wounds, Spiritual Weapon, Web, Spirit Guardians, Slow. Trade in spell: Bless> Scorching Ray> Fireball.
I'm currently playing this and the next MC together rotating Wyll, Shadowheart and Laezel as companions. It's a fast mobile party, that can move enemies around the battlefield.

2. Wood Elf Land Druid: Underdark (Web, Misty Step), Folk Hero background.
WIS 16/ Dex 17(18)/ CON 14/ CHA 10. At 4th level I'll take Elven Accuracy Dexterity.
Cantrips: Thorn Whip, Shillelagh, Gust, Mold Earth.
Spells Prepared: Entangle, Fairie Fire, Thunderwave, Goodberry, Speak with Animals (Ritual), Web, Misty Step, Spike Growth, Heat Metal, Stinking Cloud, *, Sleet Storm, Call Lightning (Conjure Animals after it is implemented by the mod author). At 5th level I stop preparing Goodberry and start preparing Plant Growth. *The mod author cannot, as of yet, implement Gaseous Form. I don't what he substituted for it. I'm currently at 3rd level with this build.

3. Githyanki Abjurer, Pirate background. I took Laezel, Shadowheart, and Gale.
Skills: Athletics, Perception, Investigation, Arcana, History.
INT 14(18)/ STR 16(18)/ DEX 14/ CON 14/ WIS 9 I wore Scalemail armor from the ruins until the Gith patrol, then Half Plate. I used the Cambion Commanders Greatsword. I also used the Headband of Intellect and added +2 Strength at level 4.
Cantrips: Booming Blade, Firebolt, Light, Mage Hand.
Spellbook: Mage Armor, Shield, Absorb Elements, Protection from Good & Evil, Sleep, Magic Missile, Grease, Thunderwave, Feather Fall, False Life, Shield of Faith, Armor of Agathys, Find Familiar (Ritual), Flaming Sphere, Misty Step, Blindness, Mirrow Image, Fireball, Haste, Fear, Thunderstep.

4. Half High-Elf Oath of Vengeance Paladin, Far Traveler background. I took Shadowheart, Gale, and Wyll; killed Laezel, turned Astarion over the vampire hunter.
STR 16(18)/ CON 16/ CHA 16/ DEX 10. Added +2 Strength at 4th level. Long Sword, Shield, and Chainmail Armor, with the Defensive Fighting Style.
Cantrip: Booming Blade
Spells Known: Bane, Hunter's Mark, Shield of Faith, Cure Wounds, Command, Wrathful Smite, Hold Person, Misty Step, Aid, Lesser Restoration.

5. Shield Dwarf Hunter Ranger: Urban Tracker and Ranger Knight, Colossus Slayer, Folk Hero background. Used Shadowheart, Gale, and Wyll; killed Laezel on the ship- stole her equipment and killed Astarion when he tried to feed on me.
STR 16/ DEX 12/ CON 16/ WIS 14/ INT 10. Took the Dual Wielder feat at 4th level. Bought Chainmail and Jumped into a fight with 2 Battleaxes.
Spells Known: Hunter's Mark, Jump, Fog Cloud, Pass Without a Trace. Inspired by Wolfheart FPS on YouTube.
© Larian Studios forums