Larian Studios
Posted By: Ragnar Hammerhan Min/Max Ability Scores - 17/02/22 12:10 AM
Possibly another unpopular opinion: I would very much like the ability to change my ability scores in a meaningful way.

As I was generating a new party yesterday after downloading Patch 7, it occurred to me that the ability point distribution system leaves me completely underwhelmed about the characters create. Please note that the language I just used was intentional, vis a vis "characters I create," as opposed to "my characters." I feel like none of the characters I create are special or unique to me. Other than their appearance, I don't really have much opportunity to differentiate the Ranger I make from the Ranger someone else makes. Mine may look different physically, but the stats are likely either exactly the same, or very very similar. If you went with Manual point distribution, obviously this problem would still exist, but if you allowed rolling for points, things would be much more interesting.

Barring that, it would be much better if you could remove the seemingly arbitrary caps on starting ability stats. If I want to min/max a fighter with 18 strength and 8 charisma, I should be able to do that, especially if I am willing to dump a stat to achieve it. I personally cannot stand the Point Buy method, but at least that's better than Standard Array. However, I could deal with normal point buy, but your system is even more restrictive and effectively seems to have removed any meaningful changes to my stats. My preferred method is Rolled stats because it makes the character feel like it's actually MINE. In point buy, if I can't at least dump enough of one stat to raise another one to the level I want, then there's really not much point in changing either stat, and hence, not much point in having an ability score manipulation screen. Just tell us the stats and leave it at that.
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Min/Max Ability Scores - 17/02/22 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by Ragnar Hammerhan
Other than their appearance, I don't really have much opportunity to differentiate the Ranger I make from the Ranger someone else makes. Mine may look different physically, but the stats are likely either exactly the same, or very very similar.
That's more of an overall DnD problem, no? At least now, while there is no multiclassing there are objectively useful and unuseful ways of investing your points. Atrribute system is not something that really gives players much choice in DnD.
Posted By: Ragnar Hammerhan Re: Min/Max Ability Scores - 17/02/22 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by Ragnar Hammerhan
Other than their appearance, I don't really have much opportunity to differentiate the Ranger I make from the Ranger someone else makes. Mine may look different physically, but the stats are likely either exactly the same, or very very similar.
That's more of an overall DnD problem, no? At least now, while there is no multiclassing there are objectively useful and unuseful ways of investing your points. Atrribute system is not something that really gives players much choice in DnD.

I suppose you're right. For some reason I was thinking point buy wasn't truly awful, but I just went and made a character with it, and it's exact same stats as BG3, if you min / max. I guess my actual dislike is for that system as a rule then haha
Posted By: Niara Re: Min/Max Ability Scores - 17/02/22 02:21 AM
Fortunately, they've confirmed that rolling stats is coming eventually.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Min/Max Ability Scores - 17/02/22 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by Niara
Fortunately, they've confirmed that rolling stats is coming eventually.
Lets hope they dont change their minds. :-/
© Larian Studios forums