Larian Studios
Posted By: VenusP I am feeling fooled and this is why - 09/07/22 12:31 PM
The more I watch BG3 evolves the more I see it drifts farther and farther away from what I’ve been promised in the first trailer video.

Grim, bleak image that was considered by many as a guaranty by Larian to abandon their cartoon-y art style ended up nowhere to be seen in the game’s current state. Furthermore with each new build it becomes more and more evident that this direction will only be strengthening as soon as the core art team is devoted to the vision they developed throughout their past projects. The last update has elevated this dissonance even further with its emphasis on dancing, singing and fancy hairstyles.

So I was wandering whether I am the only one who noticed this striking difference between the first announcement trailer and the game’s art style evolved throughout the EA. Does anybody else feel that was misleading? Share your thoughts please.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 09/07/22 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by VenusP
The last update has elevated this dissonance even further with its emphasis on dancing, singing and fancy hairstyles.
Not quite sure how would you like to present Bards without emphasis on dancing, singing and fancy things ...
Or even better how woudl you like to present dark and grym Bards ... specificly please. smile

Personaly i dont think this game is anyhow far from this trailer ... maybe a bit with curent pastel collors on hair ... but hardly any more ... there is still many quite dark and adult themes in this game. smile

---

BTW GM4Him ... have you noticed? Daytime is static in this trailer! laugh
There is sun shining as in middle of the day ... and in next scene, there is everything dark and shadowy even tho clouds dont even move. laugh

Was that a hint? laugh
Posted By: machinus Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 09/07/22 02:14 PM
Larian does not care about the franchise or the ruleset. Yes, they generated a lot of interest by pretending to make a 5E game. Swen has wanted the cache of the license for a long time. It will make a lot of money just based on reputation. This is part of the videogame industry.

This game is targeted at young stream-watchers and redditors with short attention spans and a strong preference for memes and inspirational drama over anything else (such as gameplay). The kiddies chat on streams all day and share dumb GIFs back and forth, and Larian wants their dollars. That is the gaming market right now. If you actually know anything about D&D, your money is taken for granted here, and there is no need to cater to your desire for mechanics, challenges, complexity, etc. The kiddies don't like anything with a learning curve.

Instead of thinking about how misleading the press releases were, just look at this rudimentary product as the latest cringey, "empowering" Larian game with some watered down versions of real games in it. Pretend the D&D logo is not on the game. Then the glass is 25% full!
Posted By: 1varangian Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 09/07/22 04:33 PM
I also would want the serious dark themed RPG presented and promised with this trailer. Not the cute disney cartoon animals who talk like humans or the supersaiyan gameplay with exaggerated shoving, jumping and "lightning sets" that we are now getting. A grown up D&D game that respects the originals, but Larian can only make tongue in cheek DOS games that borrow a lot from MMO's, apparently. Serious and dark doesn't mean there can't be humor in the game.

And I agree, it's getting worse as development goes on. It's like they are forgetting what they are making, or a lack of direction and devs do stuff based on personal preference rather than D&D or clear guidelines.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 09/07/22 05:37 PM
One could say that only grown up people who can understand that not everything will go exactly as they want all the time ... deserves grown up game. :P
Posted By: machinus Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 09/07/22 07:49 PM
And there is the level of maturity you get from the kiddies. Expecting an official D&D game to have D&D in it makes you not a grownup, guys. You don't deserve a good game!
Posted By: Silent Cetra Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 09/07/22 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by machinus
And there is the level of maturity you get from the kiddies. Expecting an official D&D game to have D&D in it makes you not a grownup, guys. You don't deserve a good game!

Except the game, for the most part, does indeed follow the 5e ruleset and already has quite a lot of adult themes. DnD is usually high fantasy, wtf do you want them to do lmao
Larian does not care about the franchise or the ruleset. Yes, they generated a lot of interest by pretending to make a 5E game. Swen has wanted the cache of the license for a long time. It will make a lot of money just based on reputation. This is part of the videogame industry.

This game is targeted at young stream-watchers and redditors with short attention spans and a strong preference for memes and inspirational drama over anything else (such as gameplay). The kiddies chat on streams all day and share dumb GIFs back and forth, and Larian wants their dollars. That is the gaming market right now. If you actually know anything about D&D, your money is taken for granted here, and there is no need to cater to your desire for mechanics, challenges, complexity, etc. The kiddies don't like anything with a learning curve.

Instead of thinking about how misleading the press releases were, just look at this rudimentary product as the latest cringey, "empowering" Larian game with some watered down versions of real games in it. Pretend the D&D logo is not on the game. Then the glass is 25% full!

Well, thanks, I guess? Being that I'm 59 years old, being called young makes my day. I'm not sure about the rest of your rhetoric, but hey, I'll take being called young. I'll tell you another secret, DnD version didn't play into my buy decision either. Baldur's Gate 3 did. I played both of it's predecessors, when they were new releases, so I got hyped for that reason alone. No stream watching/chatting required, nor do I require a reddit account. I'm still trying to figure out where I was misled on the marketing. The main trailer shows people being abducted by mind flayers, and then someone turning into one. So far, I haven't turned into one, but I was certainly abducted. That's a pretty dark theme, in and of itself, let alone all the stuff in the 2 acts that we know nothing about, and whatever is being held back in this one.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 09/07/22 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Silent Cetra

Except the game, for the most part, does indeed follow the 5e ruleset and already has quite a lot of adult themes. DnD is usually high fantasy, wtf do you want them to do lmao

It does do its best to follow 5e, and as long as Larian provides good mod support, it can be almost spot on.

Now I don't believe there is any evil intent here, just the opposite. Larian is making the game as good as it can be, the best that they know how.

BG3 is a great comeback for the genre...its not finished, but at the least will be a win and at its best ...a Victory.

Going forward it is up to Wizards of the Coast to communicate clear guidelines to companies that produce games based on their intellectual property.

This probably not the first time that WOTC has granted the freedom poetic license. In general it can yield good creative energy.

* Using the franchise name has shown that the interest is still there.

* Larian has proven that turn-based is viable, and can be improved upon (swarm AI version 1).

* Solasta has proven that the RAW is completely doable and fun!

* Solasta also demonstrated being a low budget theme park ride, with limited graphics, and no hype will not generate the numbers.

I mean I loved it! Unfortunately Tactical Adventures doesn't want the headache of growing big and will probably not make a Faerun open world title.

I remember when D&D titles came out like clockwork (until Gary Gygax passed).

Going forward, WOTC can be confident that a company that combines elements from both efforts will be even better.

Note: D&D 6 is upcoming (Hope they bring back alignment, cuz DMs never stopped implementing it).
Posted By: 1varangian Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 09/07/22 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
One could say that only grown up people who can understand that not everything will go exactly as they want all the time ... deserves grown up game. :P
Posting snarky comments without any actual content just to attempt to devalue other people's opinions is about as juvenile as it gets.

Grown-ups can talk about a game even if they have different preferences without targeting each other or attempting to tear each other's posts to shreds on a microscopic level.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 09/07/22 09:38 PM
Nah, its exactly this attiude that is inmature. smile

Originally Posted by 1varangian
Posting snarky comments without any actual content just to attempt to devalue other people's opinions is about as juvenile as it gets.

Grown-ups can talk about a game even if they have different preferences without targeting each other or attempting to tear each other's posts to shreds on a microscopic level.
Indeed? Funny ...
What exactly was your "deep and completely unrelated to attempt to devalue others" content here, please? :P

I know you were trying tho ...
But i have very good detector for hypocrisy. smile
Posted By: Zerubbabel Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 09/07/22 09:46 PM
There's a lot to like about the game (like gameplay), but the gradual drag away from what looked like a dark fantasy game featuring notes of Eldritch Horrors into a colorful/saturated, high-fantasy, jokey romp has been a disappointing feature of the Early Access, especially given what we thought we were promised in early marketing. This isn't people having ridiculous expectations like Cyberpunk... this is people being mad that the direction we thought Larian was taking was somehow a mistake from the start. I saw this mentioned https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiaroscuro as being missing in the new direction and I have to agree.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 09/07/22 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
gradual drag away from what looked like a dark fantasy
I dunno ...

There are scenes about killing childerns ...
There are scenes including eating sentient beings ...
There are scenes where your character have to participate in torture ...
There are scenes including painful forced transformation into different creature ...

What more "dark fantasy" do you want? laugh

Yes, our characters can have colorfull and pastel pink hair (and beard) ... and yes, animals are able to create whole sentences ... and yes, not whole existence in this world is pure grym, gore and desperation ...

How can this outweight everything that stay in the game is beyond me. O_o
Posted By: Zerubbabel Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 09/07/22 11:04 PM
I dunno ...

There are scenes including painful forced transformation into different creature ...

Yes, our characters can have colorfull and pastel pink hair (and beard) ... and yes, animals are able to create whole sentences ... and yes, not whole existence in this world is pure grym, gore and desperation ...

Please don't straw man my argument. I made no mention of whole story beats, and my critique was clearly focused around visuals, aesthetics, and tone. DOS2 (significantly darker than DOS1) had people having their souls removed (sometimes by your own character) into empty husks, along with the crucifixion of those still-living husks, references to the varied torture/punishment methods of Braccus Rex, the imprisonment of children, the ability to slaughter an entire city, the ability to slaughter entire peoples, an early scene where you watch the equivalent of a magical lobotomy, and way more. It also had the Magicockerel, goofy merchants, and other joke characters, an at-times cartoonish style (that was still a dramatic improvement over DOS1), and a lack of consistent tone. *Morally dark scenes are not the same thing as maintaining a dark fantasy aesthetic.* You can make a film about torturing people and use a bright, old school Disney-like aesthetics and people would not be talking about its dark aesthetic. In fact, there have been many works that parody children's animation with gore and other "dark" events, like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Tree_Friends, but we do not refer to these as "dark" animation. By "gradual drag," I am already conceding that the game initially had features of dark fantasy, which include (but are not limited to) what you mentioned in your post, and that Larian is moving away from such an approach. I made no statement as to there being some "outweighing" or substitution of dark moments for dark aesthetic. In fact, I am satisfied with the "dark" moments, but I am talking about an aesthetic ideal. If I had to point to what I mean, compare Dragon Age Origins to the rest of the series, or Morrowind/Skyrim to Oblivion https://i.redd.it/2ev31s0rqrd41.png , or DOS2 when just compared to DOS1, or the FROMSOFT games compared to the whole industry. Visually, we are losing dark aesthetics and contrast each patch. Except for the Nautilloid, the sense of fear and desperation is vanished from the game, only held up in that sequence by the color palette of the Hells and the body horror of the Illithids.
Posted By: machinus Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 09/07/22 11:19 PM

Another masterful post by our resident genius. We are all grateful for your valuable contribution. After displaying such high intelligence, I am sure many people will change their minds! There is so much knowledge and wisdom in everything you write.
Posted By: Zerubbabel Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 09/07/22 11:40 PM
Not touching the insults or the name-calling.
--------------------------------------------------------
By the way, the teaser in the forum post is what convinced me that not only was Larian the right studio for the IP, but that they were gonna get really freaky with it. I still think the EA is a fundamentally good game, but I can only hope the latter part is still true.
Like it or not, Larian makes rated R Disney games. Its great because you sorta hit 3 audiences with the same rock. Kids, teenagers and young adults (20 to 30yo).
Not sure I would call that <dark fantasy> though.
Posted By: Zerubbabel Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 10/07/22 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Like it or not, Larian makes rated R Disney games. Not sure I would call that <dark fantasy>.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Dark_fantasy_role-playing_video_games
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Like it or not, Larian makes rated R Disney games. Not sure I would call that <dark fantasy>.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Dark_fantasy_role-playing_video_games

Alright then, BG3 is a Dark fantasy rated R Disney game. lol.
Calling it <dark fantasy> Doesn't change a thing in the mood and art style Larian adopted. Same as calling it <Baldur's gate> does not auto-make it a Baldur's gate game in terms of mood, immersion and art style.
I dunno ...

Please don't straw man my argument. I made no mention of whole story beats, and my critique was clearly focused around visuals, aesthetics, and tone. DOS2 (significantly darker than DOS1) had people having their souls removed (sometimes by your own character) into empty husks, along with the crucifixion of those still-living husks, references to the varied torture/punishment methods of Braccus Rex, the imprisonment of children, the ability to slaughter an entire city, the ability to slaughter entire peoples, an early scene where you watch the equivalent of a magical lobotomy, and way more. It also had the Magicockerel, goofy merchants, and other joke characters, an at-times cartoonish style (that was still a dramatic improvement over DOS1), and a lack of consistent tone. *Morally dark scenes are not the same thing as maintaining a dark fantasy aesthetic.* You can make a film about torturing people and use a bright, old school Disney-like aesthetics and people would not be talking about its dark aesthetic. In fact, there have been many works that parody children's animation with gore and other "dark" events, like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Tree_Friends, but we do not refer to these as "dark" animation. By "gradual drag," I am already conceding that the game initially had features of dark fantasy, which include (but are not limited to) what you mentioned in your post, and that Larian is moving away from such an approach. I made no statement as to there being some "outweighing" or substitution of dark moments for dark aesthetic. In fact, I am satisfied with the "dark" moments, but I am talking about an aesthetic ideal. If I had to point to what I mean, compare Dragon Age Origins to the rest of the series, or Morrowind/Skyrim to Oblivion https://i.redd.it/2ev31s0rqrd41.png , or DOS2 when just compared to DOS1, or the FROMSOFT games compared to the whole industry. Visually, we are losing dark aesthetics and contrast each patch. Except for the Nautilloid, the sense of fear and desperation is vanished from the game, only held up in that sequence by the color palette of the Hells and the body horror of the Illithids.

Hmm... So the BSN was alight with "there's no darkness in Inquisition". Of course, they chose to ignore walking through the field of crispy corpses, I guess because it happened off camera? As someone with thousands of hours in the Dragon Age series, what about the initial part of the Stone Prisoner DLC? What about the Peak, where you retake the warden stronghold? What about Alistair's doll collection, or licking lamp posts? You see, I kinda see where you're trying to go, but I'm looking at this through a different lens, this is an RPG, not a survival horror game. In that genre, all tension, all the time is expected. In this genre, I expect to have moments of levity, or downright absurdity thrown in. Sometimes at really inappropriate times.
Posted By: Zerubbabel Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 10/07/22 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by robertthebard
I dunno ...

Hmm... So the BSN was alight with "there's no darkness in Inquisition". Of course, they chose to ignore walking through the field of crispy corpses, I guess because it happened off camera? As someone with thousands of hours in the Dragon Age series, what about the initial part of the Stone Prisoner DLC? What about the Peak, where you retake the warden stronghold? What about Alistair's doll collection, or licking lamp posts? You see, I kinda see where you're trying to go, but I'm looking at this through a different lens, this is an RPG, not a survival horror game. In that genre, all tension, all the time is expected. In this genre, I expect to have moments of levity, or downright absurdity thrown in. Sometimes at really inappropriate times.

Not against any of what you are talking about. But the APPEARANCE of the game could use a bit more darkness even when giving you those moments of levity. I think the fix is in lighting, shadows, contrast, art, and palette. There's way too much color in our companions now, especially their skin. A lot of places that were awash with shadows and flames in darkness now look washed through. I feel like everyone here is ignoring that my complaints are specifically aimed toward the visuals of the game, not the narrative approaches. Crypts should feel ancient and scary. Nautilloids should be strange and harrowing. Ancient Temples should be dark and musty. Darkness should be used to highlight the unknown, the strange, and the terrible. Also, after the Nautilloid, it seems that Larian largely abandons the "otherworldly horrors" angle, which is just disappointing. We get "spooky" with Ethel, the Hook Horrors, and the Necromancer's Basement, but not otherworldly, like in the teaser.

Not against any of what you are talking about. But the APPEARANCE of the game could use a bit more darkness even when giving you those moments of levity. I think the fix is in lighting, shadows, contrast, art, and palette. There's way too much color in our companions now, especially their skin. A lot of places that were awash with shadows and flames in darkness now look washed through. I feel like everyone here is ignoring that my complaints are specifically aimed toward the visuals of the game, not the narrative approaches. Crypts should feel ancient and scary. Nautilloids should be strange and harrowing. Ancient Temples should be dark and musty. Darkness should be used to highlight the unknown, the strange, and the terrible. Also, after the Nautilloid, it seems that Larian largely abandons the "otherworldly horrors" angle, which is just disappointing. We get "spooky" with Ethel, the Hook Horrors, and the Necromancer's Basement, but not otherworldly, like in the teaser.

Because we're in regular places after our escape? I'd agree, if we were constantly in the Underdark, or in the Hells, but we're not. We're on the mainland, and that's where the regular people live, and that's why it's all "regular peopley". Yes, spellchecker, peopley is a word, I just made it up... Messing around with the patch today, I didn't notice anything "out of the ordinary" that I didn't do to myself playing around with the highlights in the hair options...
Posted By: Zerubbabel Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 10/07/22 03:03 AM

Because we're in regular places after our escape? I'd agree, if we were constantly in the Underdark, or in the Hells, but we're not. We're on the mainland, and that's where the regular people live, and that's why it's all "regular peopley". Yes, spellchecker, peopley is a word, I just made it up... Messing around with the patch today, I didn't notice anything "out of the ordinary" that I didn't do to myself playing around with the highlights in the hair options...

The Underdark should be more Underdarky though, the Crypt more Crypty, the Abandoned Temple of Selune more Abandoned Templey. Visually, I feel it is not dark enough. In the case of the Underdark, I like that the main source of lighting is phosphorescent fungi, but the darkness outside of those fungi should be more oppressive. Delving into places cut off from the sun should force a dependence on the primary light sources in the area and their near vicinity, not allow those light sources to act as a mini-sun, metaphorically speaking.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 10/07/22 07:55 AM
my critique was clearly focused around visuals, aesthetics, and tone.
I gues this is matter of taste ...
Personaly i kinda dislike that many directors working for Warner Brothers, making adaptations of DC comics ... seems to think that they are creating "dark atmosphere" by just tuning the lights to minimum. laugh

To me what is happening is much more important that how bright colours are used to picture it. smile

You used happy tree friends as an example ...
I would use last season of "The Boys" as mine. wink

There were also some cute animated animals ... one could even say it was pretty close to Disney style ... and yet, it was pretty grym when they decide to start darker tone (this image could teoreticaly be a little drastic for some people, so open at your own risk) ...

On the other hand, Happy tree friends ... even tho they pictured some serious injuries ... were never really serious, it was all pictured as a joke, no injury or any other serious topic that was pictured there, had any lasting effects, and in some specific cases those animals were hurting themselves just for the punch line.
That isnt really "dark" theme at all. wink
Posted By: 1varangian Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 10/07/22 10:04 AM

Indeed? Funny ...
What exactly was your "deep and completely unrelated to attempt to devalue others" content here, please? :P

That content was an attempt to make you understand that sometimes it's better to not post. Disagreeing with reasoning is fine. Posting only to be destructive or to provoke endless arguments is not. This is why I usually just automatically skip all your posts, but that one was short enough to slip through. I'll let you have the last word now so this won't continue for 5 pages and dilute the actual topic in the thread.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 10/07/22 10:13 AM
an attempt to make you understand that sometimes it's better to not post.
My hypocrite senses are tingling! laugh
Posted By: The Composer Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 10/07/22 01:27 PM
1varangian is right here, Ragnarok. You have been a bit overly "target the poster, not their message" lately. Please stop that. I'm aware of the intricacies in discussion dynamics and some people's poor way of arguing. After multiple warnings I transition from trying to talk to them, warn them, and then the bans come flying, and I'm starting to hand those out these days, starting at one month.

Basically, I hope you learn from their mistakes and don't go down the same path. Not every discussion requires a devil's advocate if you don't have a point to make. And opinions that you don't agree with don't always need to be challenged or shut down. Behavior that disrupts a conversation isn't something I particularly like, and that goes either direction. I recently had a strong word with someone on Discord for insisting on trying to kill someone else's excitement for being hyped up about more customization options in character creation. Literally, no reason for them to do that, this individual just really likes creating characters - good for them and happy they got more things to play with.

The Underdark should be more Underdarky though, the Crypt more Crypty, the Abandoned Temple of Selune more Abandoned Templey. Visually, I feel it is not dark enough. In the case of the Underdark, I like that the main source of lighting is phosphorescent fungi, but the darkness outside of those fungi should be more oppressive. Delving into places cut off from the sun should force a dependence on the primary light sources in the area and their near vicinity, not allow those light sources to act as a mini-sun, metaphorically speaking.

That can, and has, been taken too far though. Hell, even in Fallout 4, there are places that are visually dark for the sake of being visually dark. I'm not a fan of walking into a wall that I can't see, maybe because being blind in one eye, I do it all the time. I'm surprised I don't have a massive calcium deposit on my right shoulder from clipping door jams. I can see the Underdark requiring either low light vision or torches, or even both sometimes, but that's the trick there, if one has low light vision, that visual darkness will be somewhat mitigated anyway. So, for me, who prefers to play as Elves, it wouldn't make a lot of difference. It could even be, given that, that that's why I'm not noticing what you're talking about. But with the temple, there is a hole that you can literally jump down into to gain access, it wouldn't make a lot of sense for the light not to filter in, which it does. There are also people there, in the entrance way, and so having lights provided makes perfect sense, there's people there.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 10/07/22 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by The Composer
You have been a bit overly "target the poster, not their message" lately.
And once again there is only my name, even tho we both did exactly the same ...

You honestly think i was alone? O_o
Cant say i agree with you, not like it matters anyhow ...
Posted By: The Composer Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 10/07/22 02:00 PM
You and who?

Also, getting dangerously close to the end of the talking section and into the warning section.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 10/07/22 02:06 PM
1varangian ofc ...
Yes, i was barking at him in reactions to his barks ... and neither of us were talking about the topic ...

Its true, there is no reason to deny it ... sometimes i loose it ... with some individuals its easier than others, many people knows this about me, myself included ofc.

One could argue that i started ... here ... that would also be true, from certain point of view ... even tho i believe that in order to find wich one "really" started we would have to go several months into past. :-/
And i calmly admit that i dont remember anymore.

All im saying is that while my behaviour towards him was inapropriate ... his towards me was at best the same.

--

As for the moving to another part ...
I gues you are right, even tho my reasoning would likely be different from yours. :-/
But i dare to presume that since you asked i should have answered ... so i hope this message is fine.
Posted By: The Composer Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 10/07/22 02:12 PM
From what I see, one was trying to de-escalate and not let something drag on for 5 pages and dilute the thread, and the other does the opposite. And I generally don't moderate on a singular post basis but a recurring trend.

To put it very clearly: I am asking you to reconsider when, what and how you decide to post. There are reasons to that. I'm not to be convinced, when multiple reports come in on the same person, I hop into the thread and scroll a page back for context to read through if I think the reports make good points. If they do, I butt in. I don't play "He said she said" games, I'm talking to you. If Varangian decides to be a problem continuously, he can expect me at his doorstep some day too. We're talking about you now. Either you choose to self-reflect and look inwards, and figure out why I'm talking to you - Or you don't and eventually end up being unable to post for a while.

Clear?
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 10/07/22 02:36 PM
one was trying to de-escalate
O_o

Clear?
Well if you are basicaly telling: "I have spoken!"
Then yes. :-/
Posted By: Zerubbabel Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 10/07/22 10:27 PM
Honestly, I'd just take a lighting and shadows fix with a slight darkening of the palette of the characters and the environment, where applicable. It makes sense to have bright custom characters, sure, but I don't think this new lighting and its resultant impression-of-style is doing places like the Underdark, Crypt, Places with Goblin Burning Trees, or the Nautilloid any favors.
Posted By: Sharet Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 11/07/22 10:22 AM
I think the situation is quite simple here: there is dissonance.

BG3 is a game with dark themes (turning into a monster, killing children, eating humanoids etc) but with a light aesthetic (super-saturated colours, exaggerated moves like the shove or jump action, and Disney-level talking squirrels).

Larian has perfectly centred the themes of a BG game but it is unable (or unwilling) to provide the appropriate (or fitting, cohesive or any other adjective) visual experience to complement them.

And, beware, I love the game. Still, I can't deny its problems.
Posted By: VenusP Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 11/07/22 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by Sharet
I think the situation is quite simple here: there is dissonance.

BG3 is a game with dark themes (turning into a monster, killing children, eating humanoids etc) but with a light aesthetic (super-saturated colours, exaggerated moves like the shove or jump action, and Disney-level talking squirrels).

Larian has perfectly centred the themes of a BG game but it is unable (or unwilling) to provide the appropriate (or fitting, cohesive or any other adjective) visual experience to complement them.

And, beware, I love the game. Still, I can't deny its problems.
Yes, thanks. Visual representation definitely plays the leading role here, because, hey, BG1 has a talking hen and that quest is adorable! Push for cute things in BG3 is a thing I would really like to be contained and kept in check, my hype was for a guy vomiting his teeth out.
Posted By: Tuco Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 11/07/22 11:25 AM
Hello, VenusP, if memory serves right it's been a while.

For what is worth, I can see where you are coming from.
The "tonal inconsistency" even in every little visual solution is something that I pointed myself several times in the past.

Personally I can't say I'm particularly disturbed by "talking squirrels" (or animals in general) but Jesus, if it doesn't bother me that people are shoved around in comedically large parabolical trajectories, that bows and crossbows shot in slow, floppy, overly-accentuated arcs, that pushing someone down a cliff means watching them almost floating their way down as ACME gag from a Road Runner cartoon, etc, etc.
Posted By: VenusP Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 11/07/22 12:06 PM
Hey Tuco! It’s been a while indeed. It is this last patch which reminded me about my growing disappointment in the direction their stylistic decisions keep dragging the game. That and also the lack of any progress in regards of addressing the old issues such as the actions economy.

I fully agree with your concerns and I’ve voiced my support for them on several occasions. Projectiles trajectories is a ridiculously easy to fix issue, but somehow it hasn’t been addressed yet for some unknown reason. Can’t imagine what’s holding their hand. Can it be the inconsistency in the art direction as well?
Posted By: RutgerF Re: I am feeling fooled and this is why - 12/07/22 10:40 AM
If anything, it looks like Larian is trying to outcompete Skyrim in "The goofiest meme generator" category.

Jokes aside, I won't be surprised if it's their actual business strategy. After all, Skyrim has sold 30 million copies within 5 years after its release. I don't know if Sven aims that high - after all, a huge free-roam world delivers much more game experience than a relatively small, mostly railroaded visual novel. Still, there's money to be made, and he knows it.
© Larian Studios forums