Larian Studios
Posted By: DalaranC Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 01/08/22 06:30 AM
Dear Larian and Dear all,

I thought of a cool idea to include a proper reaction system in the BG3 without disrupting the gameplay!
The idea is to be able and 'Pause' during the enemy's turn.
For example. You know when you have all the time in the word to decide what you want during your party's turn, but everything happens automatically during the enemy's turn? What if there was a pause button. And when you see above the Goblin the text: " Casting a spell", to be able to hit pause, click on Ally, have only reactions spells light up/or 'reactions toolbar' and hit counterspell. Or you have a character Monk and you see the enemy is 'Preparing an attack/Aiming', hit pause and click on 'Uncanny Dodge'.

In this way, if you don't have any reaction spells or don't want to slow down the encounter, you don't hit pause smile but when you do you are able to React properly.

I don't know if this was discussed previously, but I believe it's a great idea smile
Posted By: Tuco Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 01/08/22 06:38 AM
Maybe I'm going crazy, but I can't be the only one who thinks that being prompted to make a decision during the enemy turn is not "disrupting the gameplay" but if anything actively participating in it.

Anyway, this idea comes with a lot of problems. Too prone to human error, to occasional distraction, too reliant on timing (and that's assuming the enemy turn plays smoothly without any noticeable hiccup etc).
It's also fundamentally impractical to use for any reaction that can't be called at will (like, say, Cutting words) but requires specific conditions to use.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 01/08/22 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by Tuco
Maybe I'm going crazy, but I can't be the only one who thinks that being prompted to make a decision during the enemy turn is not "disrupting the gameplay" but if anything actively participating in it.
One of us if definietly going crazy ...
Bcs i see it exactly the same.
Posted By: Wdude Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 01/08/22 09:36 AM
This.
Who the hell can't be bothered with a few extra seconds to do reactions right in a TURN BASED RPG?Larian has already sped up combat with simulatenous initiative/attacks so what gives?
It has to be a minority of ppl right?Man I hope they do it right and ignore the ppl who want to speed trough combat.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 01/08/22 12:04 PM

Anyway, this idea comes with a lot of problems. Too prone to human error, to occasional distraction, too reliant on timing (and that's assuming the enemy turn plays smoothly without any noticeable hiccup etc).
It's also fundamentally impractical to use for any reaction that can't be called at will (like, say, Cutting words) but requires specific conditions to use.

Respectfully:

It does make sense according to the RAW.

Reactions and readied actions are part of your turn.

But no, you are not crazy: D&D rules can be very complex, even for veterans of the genre. Plenty of rules, spells, and tactics I have yet to try.

In an online table top session, a DM will manage this by asking the dormant party member to "wake up".
Posted By: Tuco Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 01/08/22 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Van'tal
Respectfully:

It does make sense according to the RAW.

Reactions and readied actions are part of your turn.

But no, you are not crazy: D&D rules can be very complex, even for veterans of the genre. Plenty of rules, spells, and tactics I have yet to try.

In an online table top session, a DM will manage this by asking the dormant party member to "wake up".
...I'm not sure what you are trying to tell me here, if I have to be perfectly honest.

First, because reactions and ready actions happen in fact during the enemy turn (the latter are DECIDED during yours, but that's another story); second, because the equivalent of "the DM telling the player to wake up when needed" would be precisely the "confirmation prompt".
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 01/08/22 12:23 PM
Sounds like we are on the same page...yep I misread.

We are in agreement.
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 01/08/22 12:31 PM
At least I feel the same. I also agree with rest of the post and how trouble some an “active” pause would be - especially characters often doing their actions before the camera manages to pan over to them.
Posted By: andreasrylander Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 01/08/22 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Wdude
This.
Who the hell can't be bothered with a few extra seconds to do reactions right in a TURN BASED RPG?Larian has already sped up combat with simulatenous initiative/attacks so what gives?
It has to be a minority of ppl right?Man I hope they do it right and ignore the ppl who want to speed trough combat.

Yup. Just PLEASE give us the option to have ACTUAL reactions, like Solasta..
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 01/08/22 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Exactly ...

Create whatever half, semi, or fully automatic shit you want ... just give us option to have full control by popups and we will be happy. laugh
Posted By: Alexlotr Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 01/08/22 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by DalaranC
Dear Larian and Dear all,

I thought of a cool idea to include a proper reaction system in the BG3 without disrupting the gameplay!
This system already exitst. It's called reactions, you can see its implementation in Solasta. IT IS FING GAMEPLAY, HOW IN THE WORLD IS IT DISRUPTING TO GAMPLAY?!

Originally Posted by DalaranC
In this way, if you don't have any reaction spells or don't want to slow down the encounter, you don't hit pause smile but when you do you are able to React properly.

I don't know if this was discussed previously, but I believe it's a great idea smile
This is an awful idea because it would make it possible to miss your reaction (while sipping tea, for example). It's not a shooter, nothing should require immidiate attention with limited time for you to decide.
Posted By: GM4Him Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 01/08/22 02:51 PM
The camera thing is what got me about the whole idea of players hitting pause or something during an enemy turn.

Larian's goal seems to be to speed up combat so much that you barely know what the flip is happening. Grove fight with Aradin. Camera jumped numerous times to NPCs and they had acted almost before the camera was on them. There's literally no time to hit spacebar or something to pause the enemy turn to react.

I agree that the best solution is most likely the Solasta/Composer one on the Megathread. It gives absolute full control to the player, and as Niara had pointed out, reactions only cause prompts when the right conditions are met. It isn't constant or even super frequent.

Also, Reactions done properly actually allow players to play the game during enemy turns instead of always just watching the game play out. Although I still think presets could work, it is as a few said at one point. Presets mean you just watch the combat. Prompts mean you get to participate. So presets, imo, would be a secondary option if for some reason prompts that interrupt would be the primary solution.
Posted By: GM4Him Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 01/08/22 02:56 PM
Oh, and I'll add this too. ESPECIALLY for new players, prompted reactions are vital and how a DM would play Tabletop D&D. If I have a new player, they know nothing about what their characters can do. So, as the DM, I would prompt them during an enemy's turn. "Say. That goblin just ran by you. Want to use your Attack of Opportunity? It's your Reaction. You get 1 every turn."

New player then says, "HECK yeah! Why wouldn't I want to?"

If a new player is playing D&D and the DM doesn't prompt them, they have absolutely no clue they even have the option to hit an enemy who runs past them in melee, let alone using more complex reactions.
Posted By: Black_Elk Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 01/08/22 07:27 PM
It's really bizarre to me to have a game which can be "saved" at any point, even in the middle of a combat, but which can't be "paused," like ever, for some strange need to be cinematic at all times. Like it was a film reel that would melt or something if it ever stopped moving for more than couple seconds - with the exception of the PC's freeze frame on their own turn, but nowhere else?

The disconnect is super strange. There's this idea like 'No fucking way will this game ever be real-time with pause!' so they get rid of pause as a concept and time as a concept altogether, to make totally sure of that, but then the game ends up feeling somehow more like a real-time pressure cooker than real-time with pause ever did for me lol. How did this happen?

I know this thread, like many others, is about reactions, but it's kinda more basic than that.

When you can't pause at all, something even weirder happens, which is that "real-time" (which before was actually a euphamism for "game-time") actually becomes real. It intrudes on the player's real clock outside the game. It dispells the illusion that seperates the Character's sense of time from the Player's, which is like the opposite of what I want from a Turn-Based game. The only thing worse than slamming the space-bar constantly is not being be able to slam it at all, ever.
Posted By: AusarViled Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 02/08/22 01:04 AM
Big time NO. NO NO NO. I do not want to be clicking reactions every time the enemy tries to do something. I caved and bought solasta for 60% off, and one of the things that is constantly pissing me off is “react to this”. It should be defaulted.

I am playing to have fun, not playing a clicking simulator.
Posted By: mrfuji3 Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 02/08/22 01:58 AM
Originally Posted by AusarViled
Big time NO. NO NO NO. I do not want to be clicking reactions every time the enemy tries to do something. I caved and bought solasta for 60% off, and one of the things that is constantly pissing me off is “react to this”. It should be defaulted.

You would not be clicking reactions every time the enemy tries to do something; that's an exaggeration. Maybe, if you choose an incredibly-reaction dependent team (and you set all of your reactions to "prompt me" instead of "off" or hopefully "toggle" is still in the game), you'd use 2-3 reactions per round. And that'd be on the high end of things. Reactions only happen when a trigger occurs (barring a few omni-activateable abilities that *should* be modified for game use), which won't be every single enemy turn, let alone action. Then, using your reaction...uses up your reaction. Thus that character wouldn't be prompted any more until after their next turn.

When playing Solasta, in your party did you have a Paladin and/or someone with Protection Fighting Style and/or a Sorcerer with metamagic? If any of the above, then you probably got a much higher number of prompts than I think you should ideally/typically get in BG3. (I think Paladin smites should be a toggle; you can always choose something other than Protection Fighting Style; and metamagic should also be an icon instead of a prompt).

For the abilities that are usable after ~any roll, I agree that they should be modified. But the other things like AoO, counterspell, hellish rebuke...they really either need to be prompts or overhauled for Larian's automatic reaction system.
Posted By: JandK Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 02/08/22 02:35 AM

+1
Posted By: GM4Him Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 02/08/22 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by mrfuji3

You would not be clicking reactions every time the enemy tries to do something; that's an exaggeration. Maybe, if you choose an incredibly-reaction dependent team (and you set all of your reactions to "prompt me" instead of "off" or hopefully "toggle" is still in the game), you'd use 2-3 reactions per round. And that'd be on the high end of things. Reactions only happen when a trigger occurs (barring a few omni-activateable abilities that *should* be modified for game use), which won't be every single enemy turn, let alone action. Then, using your reaction...uses up your reaction. Thus that character wouldn't be prompted any more until after their next turn.

When playing Solasta, in your party did you have a Paladin and/or someone with Protection Fighting Style and/or a Sorcerer with metamagic? If any of the above, then you probably got a much higher number of prompts than I think you should ideally/typically get in BG3. (I think Paladin smites should be a toggle; you can always choose something other than Protection Fighting Style; and metamagic should also be an icon instead of a prompt).

For the abilities that are usable after ~any roll, I agree that they should be modified. But the other things like AoO, counterspell, hellish rebuke...they really either need to be prompts or overhauled for Larian's automatic reaction system.

I have a paladin with Smite Level 4 and a Sorceress with Counterspell and Shield and a Rogue with Uncanny Dodge. Yes. It can get a little heavy on the prompts, but I still don't think it's that bad. Still, that's why I was considering the preset method and trying to maybe figure out a solution to make it work.

Some thought I was exaggerating about the prompt frequency, but some battles it is a bit much. That's again why I thought at least some sort of presets would at least cut down the frequency.

I remember one battle in particular. Sorak triggers AOO. Yes? With Smite? Sorak hits rogue. Uncanny Dodge? Yes. Another Sorak triggers AOO. Yes? With Smite? Sorak casts spell. Counterspell? No. Not wasting it on enemy's level 1 spell. Other Sorak casts spell. Counterspell? No. Another baby spell. I'd rather cast Fireball on my turn.

Even still. It wasn't that bad, and it wasn't like that happened every battle.
Posted By: mrfuji3 Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 02/08/22 02:55 AM
Originally Posted by GM4Him
I have a paladin with Smite Level 4 and a Sorceress with Counterspell and Shield and a Rogue with Uncanny Dodge. Yes. It can get a little heavy on the prompts, but I still don't think it's that bad. Still, that's why I was considering the preset method and trying to maybe figure out a solution to make it work.

Some thought I was exaggerating about the prompt frequency, but some battles it is a bit much. That's again why I thought at least some sort of presets would at least cut down the frequency.

I remember one battle in particular. Sorak triggers AOO. Yes? With Smite? Sorak hits rogue. Uncanny Dodge? Yes. Another Sorak triggers AOO. Yes? With Smite? Sorak casts spell. Counterspell? No. Not wasting it on enemy's level 1 spell. Other Sorak casts spell. Counterspell? No. Another baby spell. I'd rather cast Fireball on my turn.

Which is why things that aren't reactions (e.g., Smite) and/or that would prompt on every single roll (e.g., Cutting Words) should probably not be prompts, because these would result in an overabundances of prompts.
- Cutting words in BG3 is imo a great solution to this type of ability - modified to be a weaker pre-cast but with a broader area & longer time of effect.
- Smite should be a toggle that automatically adds the (player-chosen) slot level to your Paladin's successful attacks. You'd still get prompted for AoOs, and would possibly be able to toggle Smite off while reacting to that attack, so you'd always have perfect control over when and how hard you Smite. You'd only lose on the ability to crit-fish Smites, which...too bad.
Posted By: GM4Him Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 02/08/22 03:23 AM
Originally Posted by mrfuji3

Which is why things that aren't reactions (e.g., Smite) and/or that would prompt on every single roll (e.g., Cutting Words) should probably not be prompts, because these would result in an overabundances of prompts.
- Cutting words in BG3 is imo a great solution to this type of ability - modified to be a weaker pre-cast but with a broader area & longer time of effect.
- Smite should be a toggle that automatically adds the (player-chosen) slot level to your Paladin's successful attacks. You'd still get prompted for AoOs, and would possibly be able to toggle Smite off while reacting to that attack, so you'd always have perfect control over when and how hard you Smite. You'd only lose on the ability to crit-fish Smites, which...too bad.

Yeah. I still think Counterspell should have some sort of presets too. Getting prompts every time a cleric casts a level 1 healing spell or some goblin Booyahg casts burning hands seems silly. I'm not going to waste a level 3 spell slot on 99% of level 2 spells and lower, and even a good number of level 3s. I save it for big spells like Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Stinking Cloud, Cone of Cold, Cloud Kill, etc.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 02/08/22 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Originally Posted by Wdude
This.

It boggles my mind that this is still an issues.

The first time that the Shield spell popped up in Solasta...I was like YES, finally! It made reaction spells actually usable, instead of something you ignore.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 02/08/22 12:01 PM

No one clicks reactions "every time the enemy does something", it happens only when determined conditions are met. How often does an enemy even trigger an attack of opportunity, for instance?
And "Having fun" is not mutually exclusive with making use of a gameplay mechanic. Quite the opposite.

If playing a game pisses you off and you prefer to passively sit and watch the action going on by itself maybe a Youtube let's play would be more your thing.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 02/08/22 04:21 PM
one of the things that is constantly pissing me off is “react to this”
*SNAP*
*SNAP*
If playing a game pisses you off and you prefer to passively sit and watch the action going on by itself maybe a Youtube let's play would be more your thing.
That would be one possibility ...

OR

You can simply accept first reaction you can do with each character and be done with it for the round, cant you?
(Serious question)

NO matter if you will be fighting 10/20/50/50.000.000 goblins ... you still have one reaction per character, per round, so just use it for anything, exactly as curent system would ... and you will never (in that round ofc.) be asked again.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 02/08/22 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
OR

You can simply accept first reaction you can do with each character and be done with it for the round, cant you?
(Serious question)
BUT

conversely I don't hate playing games, so I'm not settling for that as anything else than a lousy compromise.
In fact I want to be as much an active participant in the tactical choices as possible.
And if for whatever reason you want to play Reactions as automated because you don't value the quality of your tactical choices, be my guest and take that as a toggleable option? Ideally I shouldn't have to eat your crap because you're too lazy to take a pause and think.

As already repeated dozens of times AoO are arguably the least meaningful and valuable of all reactions, anyway. The real issue comes with the ones that involve limited resources.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 02/08/22 04:47 PM
Oh i also want full control.
This was only ment as another suggestion for AusarViled ... i see now that by using pronouns i messed the whole message. :-/

My misstake.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 02/08/22 04:49 PM
To be clear I wasn't talking specifically to you either. Just answering to the hypothetical.
Posted By: JandK Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 02/08/22 05:35 PM

The way the game plays now is hardly equivalent to watching a Youtube video.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 02/08/22 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by JandK

And being prompted for a reaction is hardly equivalent to not having fun or "disrupting the gameplay".
Posted By: JandK Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 02/08/22 08:33 PM

And being prompted for a reaction is hardly equivalent to not having fun or "disrupting the gameplay".

Yes, it is. Maybe not for you, but it's a matter of opinion that has been stated clearly. Yes, for some folks it is equivalent to not having fun. It is equivalent to disrupting the gameplay.

Why do you have so much trouble understanding this? I'm not trying to be cruel. I'm just curious what's blocking you from understanding that other people don't have the same opinion as you.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 02/08/22 09:25 PM
Yes, it is. Maybe not for you, but it's a matter of opinion

Why do you have so much trouble understanding this? I'm not trying to be cruel.
Your "it is IN MY OPINION" has the same worth of my "It isn't, by mine".

In fact, subjectively speaking, a lot less, since it's not an opinion I share and I have a vested interest in NOT endorsing bad opinions that I find actively disruptive for the quality of the game.

What do you hope to obtain exactly when you keep pestering me by telling me that you don't like things I do or vice versa? My sympathy? Because you won't get it.
Our interests for the future of this game (or others, for all that matter) are clearly divergent.

And you don't come off as cruel, just pedantic.
Posted By: JandK Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 02/08/22 10:17 PM
Your "it is IN MY OPINION" has the same worth of my "It isn't, by mine".

Sure. I don't have a problem with you having opinions. In fact, all I've suggested is recognizing the difference between opinions and facts.

...bad opinions that I find actively disruptive for the quality of the game.

I also find your opinions bad. Luckily, I suspect a lot of the folks at Larian do, too.

Honestly, I cringe a little bit thinking about how bad the game would be if it followed certain visions.

What do you hope to obtain exactly when you keep pestering me by telling me that you don't like things I do or vice versa?

Someone said popups would disrupt the game for them and make it not fun, to paraphrase. You responded that if they didn't like "playing games" that they should watch them on Youtube instead. Implying, of course, that the way the game currently plays--without popup disruptions--is essentially the same as watching a video on Youtube.

That, of course, is silly. It's not at all comparable. So. What is my hope? To get across that the statement was unfair, disingenuous, silly, and bad tempered.

Gaining your sympathy was the last thing on my mind.

Our interests for the future of this game (or others, for all that matter) are clearly divergent.

Indeed.

And you don't come off as cruel, just pedantic.

Without the disclaimer, I was worried you might misinterpret me, thinking I was saying you were stupid. I'm glad you didn't take it that way. I certainly didn't, and do not, want to insult you.

However, calling me pedantic is, by definition, an insult. That seems unnecessary. Please try to avoid doing so in the future. Thank you.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 02/08/22 10:49 PM
I also find your opinions bad. Luckily, I suspect a lot of the folks at Larian do, too.

Honestly, I cringe a little bit thinking about how bad the game would be if it followed certain visions.
Really? Why don't you make a clear and compelling list of all the ways "my ideas would ruin the game". Turn these vague accusations in explicit features that
1) I actually advocate for
2) would make the game worse.

Maybe explain also how and why the game would be mechanically worse in any way. So we can all read in some non-equivocal, dubious or vague terms what you consider "cringe" and let everyone judge what you are exactly talking about.

Here's a thing:

No, you don't. You don't "cringe thinking how the game could change".
You'd be cheering with everyone else for the "new and cool improvements", maybe even condescendingly telling to people "See? You guys were worrying for nothing, I knew Larian would do the right thing in the end", while figuratively patting Larian devs on the back for being your personal heroes, whatever they'll end up doing.

You know it, I know it, everyone probably knows it.

You are not the first and you won't be the last on this forum that just made a life mission of defending the status quo, only to change entirely tune once the changes came.
Posted By: JandK Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 03/08/22 12:12 AM
No, you don't. You don't "cringe thinking how the game could change".

To reiterate:

...it's a matter of opinion that has been stated clearly.

Why do you have so much trouble understanding this? I'm not trying to be cruel. I'm just curious what's blocking you from understanding that other people don't have the same opinion as you.
Posted By: Alexlotr Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 03/08/22 07:15 PM

Yes, it is. Maybe not for you, but it's a matter of opinion that has been stated clearly.

What do you hope to obtain exactly when you keep pestering me by telling me that you don't like things I do or vice versa?

Someone said popups would disrupt the game for them and make it not fun, to paraphrase. You responded that if they didn't like "playing games" that they should watch them on Youtube instead. Implying, of course, that the way the game currently plays--without popup disruptions--is essentially the same as watching a video on Youtube.

That, of course, is silly. It's not at all comparable.
Silly? So, now you're not just trying to present your humble opinion as an objective truth, you're also insulting people. Despicable.
Posted By: UmbraCore Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 04/08/22 06:58 AM

No one clicks reactions "every time the enemy does something", it happens only when determined conditions are met. How often does an enemy even trigger an attack of opportunity, for instance?
And "Having fun" is not mutually exclusive with making use of a gameplay mechanic. Quite the opposite.

I like Solasta but I gotta admit the popups did get annoying in some places. Having to hit no to smiting every time I landed an attack as a Paladin was bad but bearable, but when I played a Sorcerer and got a popup every time asking me if I wanted to metamagic anytime I tried casting a spell drove me crazy. Though this could be mitigated with a shortcut that lets you say no immediately.
Posted By: The Composer Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 04/08/22 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by Alexlotr

Yes, it is. Maybe not for you, but it's a matter of opinion that has been stated clearly.

No. Telltale games like Walking Dead and Life is Strange fits that description more. Although this claim of yours, and Tuco's, is extremely disingenuous and continue that and you'll be suspended.

EDIT: The irony of presenting humble opinion as an objective truth is strong here. "Yes, it is." - How is that an opinion, yet "No, it isn't." is presented as objective truth? Take a moment to think on that. EIther way, I'd say Telltale games fits "playing like youtube videos" more, but I'd also say that's a poor analogy even for those. It's just a poor argument overall.

That, of course, is silly. It's not at all comparable.
Silly? So, now you're not just trying to present your humble opinion as an objective truth, you're also insulting people. Despicable.

I fail to see where JandK has claimed an opinion to be fact; Rather I mostly see people trying to shut him down and disallowing an opposing opinion to be shared. I can understand unnecessary contrarianism or how something can seem like unproductive - But guess what? Your reply has contributed approximately nothing of value to the topic other than bickering (and bickering is not useful). Also, no sign of insulting, at least where it's not a response to say... Tuco calling other people's opinions bad. Which they can be, but that's fine. Untill they add nothing to the discussion, or are completely off-topic/bickering.

This goes for the rest of you. My patience is running thin, I advise reconsidering your off-topicness. Strongly advise it.
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 04/08/22 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by UmbraCore
I like Solasta but I gotta admit the popups did get annoying in some places. Having to hit no to smiting every time I landed an attack as a Paladin was bad but bearable, but when I played a Sorcerer and got a popup every time asking me if I wanted to metamagic anytime I tried casting a spell drove me crazy. Though this could be mitigated with a shortcut that lets you say no immediately.
I agree, though none of the things you mentioned are reactions. I think that streamling attacks can be beneficial even if player looses a bit of the granual control - like potentially with smite. But reactions proper, actions that are meant to be taken as a response to what enemy is doing, required different treatment IMO. Automating them doesn't as much as remove granual control, as makes them too unpredictable to be worth the resources they consume.
Posted By: GM4Him Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 04/08/22 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by UmbraCore
I agree, though none of the things you mentioned are reactions. I think that streamling attacks can be beneficial even if player looses a bit of the granual control - like potentially with smite. But reactions proper, actions that are meant to be taken as a response to what enemy is doing, required different treatment IMO. Automating them doesn't as much as remove granual control, as makes them too unpredictable to be worth the resources they consume.

That's what I'm saying. Can't we compromise?

Smite. During your turn, it works like BG3 Battlemaster maneuvers. Reaction Smite coupled with AOO, however, maybe a pop-up asking if you want to use it if your enemy has more than (you set the value, default 10) Current HP. I mean. Why would you waste even a level 1 spell slot on an enemy with less than 10 HP left and you can do 2d6+3 damage?... With a Reaction?

Uncanny Dodge. You might use it whenever it is possible, but again, why would you waste it on an enemy attack that is less than 10 damage? 10 halved is 5. Not exactly worth using it when a high damage dealing enemy is on the battlefield - like spider matriarch - who can do 40 in a single hit. Preset could easily manage this. No high powered enemy? Set your preset to All Enemies, and it triggers whenever any enemy hits you. High power enemy? Set it to Enemy Damage Greater than (you set the value, default 10). Still prompts, but only if damage done to you is greater than 10.

Counterspell. You set what spells trigger the prompt. Want all spells to trigger? Fine. Set to All Spells. Don't want a prompt unless Fireball or Lightning Bolt are cast? Only select those spells as trigger spells. Then you only get a prompt for those spells.

This would drastically cut down on prompts for those players who really don't even want prompts, and there could even be an option to simply trigger WITHOUT prompt at all if conditions apply.

I think I would really like this approach, personally. I could cut out a lot of prompts that way and still be in control.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 04/08/22 12:38 PM
Why are we still discussing Smite? It's almost a given that it will get the "Battlemaster treatment".

And I doubt Larian needs any convincing on compromising. If anything it's looking like it could be take some work to dissuade them to go too far in that direction. Assuming there's any hope left.

Also, as someone already pointed to you, GM4Him, you don't get the luxury to know ahead how much damage your rogue is defending against. Not even in the tabletop.
At most you can make your choice according to which attack LOOKS like it may be the most dangerous.
Posted By: Alexlotr Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 04/08/22 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by The Composer
EDIT: The irony of presenting humble opinion as an objective truth is strong here. "Yes, it is." - How is that an opinion, yet "No, it isn't." is presented as objective truth? Take a moment to think on that.
Well spotted! It is indeed irony, but also it is a direct quote of Jandk, who more the most defends his right (and rightfully so) to have an opinion, yet posts stuff like "Yes, it is" (#Post824891) which I simply copied to my post.

Also, as someone already pointed to you, GM4Him, you don't get the luxury to know ahead how much damage your rogue is defending against. Not even in the tabletop.
At most you can make your choice according to which attack LOOKS like it may be the most dangerous.
Googling shows that it's very often decided by GM. Also a lot of people roll for attack and damage at the same time in tabletop so the damage is visible all the time.
Still think that proper promts is the best solution for the reaction though, even if you know the damage number. Because it not only depends on the damage you're about to recieve but also on whether or not you're planning to use your reaction for something else this turn, not matter the damage (aoo for example). Presets just wouldn't give strong enough control.

But it probably could have some use for story mode or something like that. To streamline to combat for those who only want to check the story and don't care about combat at all.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 04/08/22 01:26 PM
Still think that proper promts is the best solution for the reaction though, even if you know the damage number. Because it not only depends on the damage you're about to recieve but also on whether or not you're planning to use your reaction for something else this turn, not matter the damage (aoo for example). Presets just wouldn't give strong enough control.

Oh, no doubt about this.
And people who love their toggles for automation so dearly could still use them all the way to the grave. So everyone is a winner.
Posted By: The Composer Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 04/08/22 02:36 PM
EDIT: The irony of presenting humble opinion as an objective truth is strong here. "Yes, it is." - How is that an opinion, yet "No, it isn't." is presented as objective truth? Take a moment to think on that.
Well spotted! It is indeed irony, but also it is a direct quote of Jandk, who more the most defends his right (and rightfully so) to have an opinion, yet posts stuff like "Yes, it is" (#Post824891) which I simply copied to my post.

If you read carefully, apply some good faith and read the whole paragraph, it is both implied by context, and clarified as an opinion. You're also conveniently avoiding the context of you claiming this to be him claiming this opinion to be objective truth. So don't play this fallacy/semantics game with me. I did warn you suspensions would follow if you did. See you in 7 days.

I believe it was Tuco whom promptly shared a video not too long ago, which I quite enjoyed - Enough to bookmark.

Oh, no doubt about this.
And people who love their toggles for automation so dearly could still use them all the way to the grave. So everyone is a winner.

+1
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 04/08/22 02:47 PM
Many of us keep repeating this for at least year and half now ... every time this topic rise again. laugh
Posted By: GM4Him Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 04/08/22 06:24 PM
Why are we still discussing Smite? It's almost a given that it will get the "Battlemaster treatment".

And I doubt Larian needs any convincing on compromising. If anything it's looking like it could be take some work to dissuade them to go too far in that direction. Assuming there's any hope left.

The idea is that small tweaks could be made to the core rules in order to cut down on prompts. That's all I'm saying. Would it be a big deal if the game allows damage to be rolled first before applying Uncanny Dodge? It would be to the benefit of the player, and it would cut down on prompt frequency.

Prompt without preset: You're being attacked by Sazza the goblin. Use Uncanny Dodge? No. She can only do maybe 8 damage if she's lucky.

Uncanny Dodge Damage Preset at 10: Sazza hits and does 8 damage. Uncanny Dodge isn't used. Same basic result.

Prompt without preset: You're being attacked by Ragzlin the hobgoblin warlord. Use Uncanny Dodge? YES. He can do some serious damage.

Uncanny Dodge Damage Preset at 10: Ragzlin hits and does 22 damage. Uncanny Dodge is prompted. Use Uncanny Dodge? YES
Same basic result.

Only way it wouldn't be the same result is if Ragzlin wound up doing less than 10 damage to you or if Sazza got a crit. Either way, not much difference, and it would be in the player's favor since if Sazza got a crit you probably would want to use it, and if Ragzlin rolled less than 10 you might want to save it for a different enemy who might still take off more than 10.

The point is, not much sacrifice for a bit more combat speed.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 04/08/22 07:01 PM
Either way, not much difference
Quite honestly, seems like big difference to me. O_o

In your suggested way, any damage that is "less than your preset value" leaves you with unused Reaction ... and that is the problem.

If you would decide when to use it, and when not ... all you see is Ragzlin attacking you ... you can use your reaction and avoid dmg 2, or dmg 22 ... that is just how thigs go.

Now imagine you are Tiefling ...

When your preset system automaticly avoids reaction for any damage that is less than 10 and therefore "not dangerous for you" ... you can easily use Hellish Rebuke, Tieflings inherit in any turn ...
Maximal effectivity, no place for misstakes ... either you avoid killing blow, or you hit back really hard ... and you didnt basicaly do anything, the game did everything for you.

When you have no automatic system, but only popups ... YOU have to gamble, you have to decide, and then (and only then) you find out if your guess was right, or wasted.

That is huge difference. :-/
Posted By: mercurial_ann Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 04/08/22 09:30 PM
Many of us keep repeating this for at least year and half now ... every time this topic rise again. laugh
Can anyone at Larian just say "Hi, we're doing reactions this way"? We've discussed this topic so much that we manged to make up a whole reaction system based only on our suggestions where everyone wins. And it is getting hard to go furher without any confirmation/objection from Larian

So please, Composer or Salo, sorry if I'm pushing it on you, but can you influence someone there just to say "yes, it's going to be full-control prompts with <toggles or smth else>" or "no, it's going to be fully passive-automated system"
Posted By: mercurial_ann Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 04/08/22 09:37 PM
Also, i think it's fair to say that they have the system developed already(at least working prototype), assuming we have 6-8 months before release. So i really don't see the point in ignoring this topic completely except big WOW surprise at release to everyone say 'see, i told you they'd do it right", which is not a good strategy overall
Posted By: Tuco Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 04/08/22 10:46 PM
The problem/ common fear is that they indeed have the system developed already... And that's exactly what we are using now. Tough luck.
Posted By: mercurial_ann Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 04/08/22 10:54 PM
It's hard to say. There are some UI indications, that it will be replaced, but who knows. And for that i'm asking for Larian to clarify
Posted By: GM4Him Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 05/08/22 01:54 AM
Either way, not much difference
Quite honestly, seems like big difference to me. O_o

In your suggested way, any damage that is "less than your preset value" leaves you with unused Reaction ... and that is the problem.

If you would decide when to use it, and when not ... all you see is Ragzlin attacking you ... you can use your reaction and avoid dmg 2, or dmg 22 ... that is just how thigs go.

Now imagine you are Tiefling ...

When your preset system automaticly avoids reaction for any damage that is less than 10 and therefore "not dangerous for you" ... you can easily use Hellish Rebuke, Tieflings inherit in any turn ...
Maximal effectivity, no place for misstakes ... either you avoid killing blow, or you hit back really hard ... and you didnt basicaly do anything, the game did everything for you.

When you have no automatic system, but only popups ... YOU have to gamble, you have to decide, and then (and only then) you find out if your guess was right, or wasted.

That is huge difference. :-/

My suggestion is that presets would allow for both. Want prompt every time? There’s a preset for that. Want a prompt only when certain conditions are met? There’s a prompt for that so people who want less prompts could cut some of it down with intelligent preset options. Want no prompts? Set to no prompt and trust the preset.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 05/08/22 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by mercurial_ann
Can anyone at Larian just say "Hi, we're doing reactions this way"?

So please, Composer or Salo, sorry if I'm pushing it on you, but can you influence someone there just to say "yes, it's going to be full-control prompts with <toggles or smth else>" or "no, it's going to be fully passive-automated system"
I think they can ... in the sense that there is no technical issue that would hinder. :-/
But i also think they dont want to ... not sure why tho, they allready promised better reaction system, so they obviously have something in mind ... but its possible that they stick to theory "you dont have to do something you didnt promise" or something like that.

As for the second part, i allready asked Composer for the same, sadly he answered me that he have no connection to anyone from Larian who can make such statements. frown
The best he can do (as i understanded it) is to point suggestions out for them ... wich he allready did in the past.

---

My suggestion is that presets would allow for both. Want prompt every time? There’s a preset for that. Want a prompt only when certain conditions are met? There’s a prompt for that so people who want less prompts could cut some of it down with intelligent preset options. Want no prompts? Set to no prompt and trust the preset.
Yes i know ... it may surprise you, but i have read it, even tho it may not seem like it. laugh

But one of them is objectively a lot stronger and that is the problem im trying to point out. :-/
Its like:
Here are your options to crush this rock:
1) bronze mallet and hammer
2) pneumatic drill made of hardened steel
Posted By: mercurial_ann Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 05/08/22 10:25 AM
As for the second part, i allready asked Composer for the same, sadly he answered me that he have no connection to anyone from Larian who can make such statements. frown
The best he can do (as i understanded it) is to point suggestions out for them ... wich he allready did in the past.

That's sad
Posted By: GM4Him Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 05/08/22 10:51 AM
Can anyone at Larian just say "Hi, we're doing reactions this way"?

I think they can ... in the sense that there is no technical issue that would hinder. :-/
But i also think they dont want to ... not sure why tho, they allready promised better reaction system, so they obviously have something in mind ... but its possible that they stick to theory "you dont have to do something you didnt promise" or something like that.

---

Yes i know ... it may surprise you, but i have read it, even tho it may not seem like it. laugh

But one of them is objectively a lot stronger and that is the problem im trying to point out. :-/
Its like:
Here are your options to crush this rock:
1) bronze mallet and hammer
2) pneumatic drill made of hardened steel

Doesn't surprise me, actually. You're probably one of the only people who does take the time to read things through no matter how long they are.

And ok. I'll accept this as your opinion. I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm sure others who hate prompts will.
Posted By: Nicou Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 05/08/22 01:35 PM
Hey everyone,

While we're actively working on Baldur's Gate 3, there's still more coming to Early Access, in no small part driven by community feedback such as this.

While in Early Access, design is in flux as we work to build & implement new systems & features.
How reactions are handled in the game is an example of a that is system currently being explored internally, but we're not yet ready to talk about it.
We've been eagerly reading your feedback and discussing it with the teams, but we prefer to show rather than tell.

Feel free to comment in the forums or on our social Media, to your heart's content!
We aim to interact with you as much as we possibly can.
So again: Thank you for being a part of our community! cool
Posted By: GM4Him Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 05/08/22 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Nicou
Hey everyone,

While we're actively working on Baldur's Gate 3, there's still more coming to Early Access, in no small part driven by community feedback such as this.

While in Early Access, design is in flux as we work to build & implement new systems & features.
How reactions are handled in the game is an example of a that is system currently being explored internally, but we're not yet ready to talk about it.
We've been eagerly reading your feedback and discussing it with the teams, but we prefer to show rather than tell.

Feel free to comment in the forums or on our social Media, to your heart's content!

Thank you for this! I appreciate it so much.
Posted By: mrfuji3 Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 05/08/22 03:01 PM
Hey everyone,

Ohmygod an official response, given directly to us forum members, commenting on Larian's current efforts on a specific mechanic. What a day! Apparently I've been missing out on news by not paying attention to the "Chat" section of this forum (Belated Welcome to both you Nicou and Salo!).

Glad to hear that Larian is still investigating a new reaction system and that the current implementation isn't necessarily the final one. A bit worried about the term "explored," but if that's all you can say then that's all you can say. Thanks for the response!
Posted By: Tuco Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 05/08/22 03:03 PM
Hey everyone,

I think I'm going to frame this.
While it remains predictably vague, it may be the closest thing to a direct answer from the studio we got in 2 years of EA.
Posted By: Drath Malorn Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 05/08/22 03:22 PM

Thanks for the information/confirmation. Swen had said they are working on Reactions, but that was in Panel From Hell 3 (over a year ago), and in Panel From Hell 6 the word Reaction was carefully avoided, despite the showcasing abilities costing Reaction for a Class that likes Reaction. So it's good to know.

There is a difference between saying how the next iteration of Reaction will be in details, saying that it's being worked on, and saying nothing.

I understand that Larian does not want to outline their new system in any detail, and prefer to let players actually try it. This can probably generate more interesting feedback than if players comment on the new system at a purely theoretical level.

Saying nothing wasn't better though, as it generated tons of unnecessary chatter.

Saying "it's currently being explored internally, but we're not yet ready to talk about it" is, in my view, the best communication policy by a mile kilometer. And also, bonus, it's quite cheap. I'm very glad to see what seems like a change of direction.
Posted By: The Composer Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 05/08/22 03:35 PM
Thanks for the update, Lenny The Dwarf King😸
Posted By: mercurial_ann Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 05/08/22 05:32 PM
Hey everyone,

Thank you so much for your response! Hope we'll have enough time to test this new system out
Posted By: lolwut77 Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 05/08/22 05:53 PM
Thanks for the update, Lenny The Dwarf King😸

Ah, he's a fellow dwarf? I knew there was a good reason why I took an immediate liking to him. grin
Posted By: Wormerine Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 05/08/22 08:07 PM
laugh SECOND COMMUNITY MANAGER! Why, we are getting spoiled.

Hello Nicou, and thank you for an update. It's been so long since reactions overhaul was mentioned that I was started to get worried that it was canned. I am glad to hear that the subject is still being explored.
Posted By: Black_Elk Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 06/08/22 03:24 AM
Well that was heartening! Dwarf King appearances give me hope! hehe

Pausing to stroke the beard and react in a sufficiently gruff yet effortless manner here, but reactions do have me kinda hoping for a Dwarven Paladin companion in the next patch. With a good voice set, and a decent handling for the class, whether prompted fully or whatever, I feel like that's a Race/Class combo that probably works to show off whatever solutions they have for it and sorta still of a missing element in the game right now. A shorty companion with a Dwarven take would help ground the FR aspect a bit, and maybe make for another lore angle on the Underdark section. Gnomes are cool and all, but still it's like you need a couple companions for the shorty races as an in I'd think, and a Dwarven Paladin seems solid with some old school flavor to it. Which is sort of off topic but always on topic, if someone brings up Dwarves. I'm waiting for voice set 5 and beyond heheh, But yeah, nice to catch a word. Thanks for the update!
Posted By: virion Re: Reaction System_NEW IDEA - 09/08/22 09:33 AM
Damn. I nearly had a heart attack after Nicou's post. Got too used to the echo-chamber syndrome.
© Larian Studios forums