Larian Studios
The changes to that potion which make it last until the long rest make it borderline overpowered, considering the fact that there is an unlimited stock of those potions in the game. Why bother investing in strength when a 150 gold item can push your strength up to 21 for the whole day. It is a bad change in my opinion, I'd be glad to hear what others think.
Oh, my, surely that's a bug, right? I can't imagine that it is an intentional change.
Weird indeed. Is there an unlimited stock of this potions? I usually only get 3 or 4 I think.

Still, this seems a bit e over the top to have the effect last that long.
Originally Posted by MelivySilverRoot
Weird indeed. Is there an unlimited stock of this potions? I usually only get 3 or 4 I think.

Still, this seems a bit e over the top to have the effect last that long.
they refresh on long rest like everything
But what vendors have in their inventory is (more or less) random no? They seem pretty rare to me. I've mostly seen Ethel selling them.
But what vendors have in their inventory is (more or less) random no? They seem pretty rare to me. I've mostly seen Ethel selling them.

Ethel always has 3 of them on restock, also Aron can have 1 from time to time.
Originally Posted by neprostoman

Fair, fair. I rarely buy from Ethel more than once but still, it's there.

But again, I do agree with the initial post. I just didn't understand this "unlimited stock" part 😅 Now I do smile Thank you for the info!

yep aron has them and speed potions as well and the wizzard in the toll house can have both as well .. i have a feeling i see them all the time so maybe others have them as well.
Not borderline, it is OP. That said, in my play through I've yet to get any and I've tried most the vendors at least once.
Even though I appreciate it because of the load capacity. But this must be a bug. I can not imagine that they want to ruin the chance of future items like the Belt of Hill Giant Strength.
free feats for everyone ?:)
An alternative/additional fix is to properly regulate wealth in BG3.

Potion of Hill Giant Strength should cost...400-500 gp. There are no official prices, but various google results suggest these values. If Potion of Hill Giant Strength lasts a full day instead of an hour, one would roughly expect it to last through ~3x more combats, plus various strength-related skill checks, so a reasonable price would be...2000 gp?

5e recommends character wealth by level, and level 4 adventurers should have net wealth of ~400 gp each. However, this calculation doesn't take into account magic items, so we'll generously raise this to 1000 gp each. Thus, a level 4 character should be able to purchase only two Pots of Hill Giant Strength (1 hour), or spend all of their money PLUS that of another party member to afford a single Potion of Hill Giant Strength (1 day).

However, in BG3, we get much more gold (as of Patch 4, without Grymforge, people could obtain tens of thousands gold total). And Potions of Hill Giant Str cost much less: 150 gp instead of the 400-1000 gp "appropriate" cost, depending on duration.
Okay so before the Grym fight I gave everyone in my party a stick and a hill giant potion each and they clubbered the sh** out of the main EA boss. They even buffed it to 300 HP and it now hits like a truck but 4 guys with sticks and overpowered potions beat him like a child. It was already insanely strong when it could last 10 turns, but now it is just absurd.

Ethel should not have 3 of them on restock.
They should not last until the long rest.
they made it so you can't throw it anymore but buffed the duration for some reason. So we have now unlimited amounts of postions that buff STR per rest. Not really balanced.
I didn't even notice it lasted all day. I never use these and try not to spam potions at all, but this is totally busted.

For someone like me, there are easily enough to have one per long rest on my STR-based characters. So, as mentioned, I could just dump STR to 8 and get other ability scores. I'm not sure what Larian's logic was with this one.

Additionally, the abundance of resistance potions (which also last until long rest) make some defensive spells obsolete.
Potion of Haste
Potion of Invisibility
Potion of Giant Strength

Are all too abundant and OP. You can murder anything just spending petty cash. It's much worse with Extra Attack now that the effects are also multiplied. Paladin can now add smite damage on top.

Wyvern Poison is really OP too, but at least you can't buy it.

Larian should be downplaying the lethal alpha strikes in this game, not encouraging them by spammimg cheap OP potions everywhere. And rework the way surprise attacks work so you don't get double surprise rounds before initiative kicks in.
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Wyvern Poison is really OP too, but at least you can't buy it.

This!! The fact that this item is of VERY limited accessibility makes it valuable and balanced.
The changes to that potion which make it last until the long rest make it borderline overpowered, considering the fact that there is an unlimited stock of those potions in the game.

Agree this is OP, whether or not there's an unlimited stock. What was it before? A duration that would make it last for the length of a single extended battle would seem reasonable to me.
Yes this needs to be fixed. It's outrageously OP. I have a 6-7 potions by the end of the game. Especially when you're effective in battle and rest less.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Potion of Giant Hill Strength is borderline OP now - 25/12/22 06:22 PM
5e really discouraged magic items, and I learned to not expect them in table top...or need them.

BG games expect them...and they ARE cool to find.

The solution seems to be to make Bosses that are really really tough...and encounters too. In veteran and beyond mode anyway.

WOW! I can craft really cool potions and poisons in 5e!

They take weeks to craft, with ingredients from the outer planes, and you can use them once...NM
I don't use consumable cheese tactics and I have at least 8 Potions of Invisibility in my inventory, just the ones I looted.

They are way too generous with this stuff. And the low level "refugee" merchants have too much magic stuff for sale.
I don’t think invisibility potions are cheese given they are a one shot wonder & a valid item in table top that gives similar tactical advantages as does bg3.
I don’t agree with any of the potions lasting a full day but given outside giant strength they aren’t overly useful apart from odd instances I can live with it - hopefully it gets changed for full release to find a better balance.
Invisibility is what makes boss ending alpha strikes easy.

Invisibility + Haste + Dip/Poison + Action Surge = dead Hag without even needing Giant Strength. The way BG3 gives you a full surprise round after you attack them from invisibility, you get something like 17 attacks before they get to do anything. It doesn't matter how many exactly since it's more than enough to kill bosses. The surprise round needs to be skipped entirely. The initial attack should BE the surprise.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Potion of Giant Hill Strength is borderline OP now - 26/12/22 06:22 PM

Invisibility + Haste + Dip/Poison + Action Surge = dead Hag without even needing Giant Strength. The way BG3 gives you a full surprise round after you attack them from invisibility, you get something like 17 attacks before they get to do anything. It doesn't matter how many exactly since it's more than enough to kill bosses. The surprise round needs to be skipped entirely. The initial attack should BE the surprise.

Is there a surprise round in 5e?

The element of surprise has always been a useful feature in D&D, but the Surprise Round, a free round of actions that the party gets before combat that had been a staple since Third Edition, is nowhere to be found in Fifth Edition.
+1, keep player stats relevant please
Has it been changed as a 5th edition thing that any potion lasts a long time? In my past experience there's never been a potion that lasts long. It simply was never a thing that I recall. Potions aren't supposed to last all day. Not any potion that I've ever known of in past editions.
On a side note, if you use a potion of resistance of any kind it over rides the hill giant strength but I think those are the only potions that effect it. Haste, invisibility, healing, those can be used fine.
Originally Posted by Eyebreaker
On a side note, if you use a potion of resistance of any kind it over rides the hill giant strength but I think those are the only potions that effect it. Haste, invisibility, healing, those can be used fine.

Yeah, I've noticed it as well, a very strange behavior...
Originally Posted by Van'tal

Is there a surprise round in 5e?

The element of surprise has always been a useful feature in D&D, but the Surprise Round, a free round of actions that the party gets before combat that had been a staple since Third Edition, is nowhere to be found in Fifth Edition.
I think there is a surprised condition in 5e, but it involves rolling Stealth vs. Perception. And for sure anyone doesn't get two turns to act freely like they do in BG3.

Larian should go with the skill contest when attack intent is declared. If you win both Perception and Initiative, the tables turn. That's how I would prefer my characters with high Perception to play rather than just sit there and take a beating. Stealthy Rogues also need to be better at surprise attacks than knights in Full Plate. It's silly you get to walk up to someone with a 100% success rate and whack them with a Greataxe and they "can't see it coming" no matter how good their senses are.

The whole thing just snowballs to insane levels with all the consumables and extra actions and weapon Bonus Attacks Larian decided to throw in. Like a dual wielding Thief with their extra BA using Wyvern Poison. It's just a mess. Even the hardest encounters can be so easily cheesed.
© Larian Studios forums