Larian Studios
Posted By: Wrathbone The problem with environmental combat - 07/10/20 07:18 AM
First, I'd like to emphasise that my time so far with BG3 has been excellent and I intend to post some positive feedback once I've played it some more. In the interests of providing some constructive feedback, I think I've finally realised why I'm not keen on environmental combat.

I didn't especially like environmental combat in the Original Sin games (surfaces, surfaces everywhere!), but it was an original combat system designed with a focus on elemental interplay, so... fine. I couldn't put my finger on exactly what bothered me about it until now, and it's because D&D highlights it:

Too much environmental combat takes the spotlight off the characters.

One of the core principles of D&D is that your players should feel like heroes. Even if they're morally dubious, they should feel like the ones in the limelight, making the difference, turning the tide, and that's never truer than in combat. When many (most?) combat encounters are designed with the expectation of the players utilising the environment, it takes the focus away from them showcasing their exciting new spells, weapons and abilities, and it places it on an oil barrel. That might have been okay in Original Sin, but in D&D it's a cardinal sin.

The environment can absolutely be a part of combat, it just shouldn't frequently be a more effective way of defeating enemies than your characters' actual combat prowess.
Posted By: Lanetolsun Re: The problem with environmental combat - 07/10/20 08:21 AM
Hello,

I think its quite powerful at start because of low levels. Many characters will shrug off 1d4 fire damage later on.
Posted By: Wrathbone Re: The problem with environmental combat - 07/10/20 08:29 AM
It's a fair point - will be interesting to see how it changes as the game progresses.
Posted By: Tarorn Re: The problem with environmental combat - 07/10/20 08:42 AM
Agreed I just made it off the ship & enjoying it a lot. It’s to early to tell but yes the characters are the key. the odd environmental hazard is great - huge amounts not so - but as is mentioned it may just help at low levels. I stood under one of the caustic globes & shot it man it went everywhere & I learned not to do it again 😉.
But I’d not like all battles decided on oil barrels - I’m sure they won’t be as larian stated they wanted to make encounters different.
If you see this larian - I’m bloody loving it so far !!!!
© Larian Studios forums