Larian Studios
Posted By: m0relka UI scaling and font size - 07/10/20 05:13 PM
Hello. I am playing at PC version but on 55 inch TV instead of monitor and it would be really useful feature to change UI scaling or at least font size. Because its almost impossible to read the text.
Simple test - Just try to start to play at TV and sit on the sofa in 2m.
Would be there any feature to change font size or scale it?

Thank you.
Posted By: Grimaldi Re: UI scaling and font size - 10/10/20 09:55 AM
Bump

Please consider ui scaling or font changing capability for big screen users and people with vision troubles. Absolutely love this game but the eye strain caused by the font and ui scale is only bearable for an hour or so
Posted By: 1varangian Re: UI scaling and font size - 10/10/20 10:19 AM
I play on 1920x1080 on a 27" screen and the UI buttons are tiny. The little arrows to flip quick bar pages are so small you need a microscope to operate them.
Posted By: m0relka Re: UI scaling and font size - 26/11/20 01:52 PM
Any news about UI or at least text scaling? Is it planned or we can lose hope about that? I saw a lot of people playing on TV connected as monitor and got the same issue.
May be someone knows what is possible to modify, like it was in DOS2 (some lines in config file to modify UI scaling)?
Posted By: martan717 Re: UI scaling and font size - 04/01/21 08:06 AM
I am facing the same issue. BG3 is unplayable for me due to eye-strain headaches.

This could be solved when controller support is added, assuming the UI and font would be scaled up (as they were in DOS and DOS2). Any word on when controller support might be added? I'm hoping not to miss all of Early Access.

As for a font mod, unfortunately the mod solution for DOS and DOS2 does not work for BG3: replacing the original font files with other font files that are renamed with the original names. Dear Larian, perhaps if you could make this solution work for us, we could make our own mod and take the problem off your hands.

The only solution I've found is manually increasing the font size -- editing each of the font files -- using Font Forge (as described here for DOS2). One limitation of this solution is that it can't be shared as a mod.
Posted By: fendweller Re: UI scaling and font size - 12/02/21 01:30 PM
Same issue here. Please add this functionality because the current text & interface size is waay too small for my laptop's screen. frown
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: UI scaling and font size - 12/02/21 06:23 PM
+1
Posted By: melhom Re: UI scaling and font size - 14/02/21 06:29 AM
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Why is there so little support for this topic?

In the photo 43" monitor and a text are distinguishable only from a VERY close distance)

I ask all the guys with poor eyesight to hold this thread!
Posted By: Garrus_91 Re: UI scaling and font size - 27/02/21 06:23 PM
Can't play the game because of the small font size. I have poor eyesight and I can’t read the dialogues normally, and in the combat log the font is too small, I literally had to look through a magnifying glass what was written there. Sorry for g translate.
Posted By: Pandemonica Re: UI scaling and font size - 27/02/21 06:42 PM
There is actually a mod for that if you don't want to wait for them to fix it.
Posted By: Macca Re: UI scaling and font size - 27/02/21 07:38 PM
+1 Bump

I also find the UI and text too small. Also I consider the choice of font to be not the best, to put it mildly. Its really hard on my eye (i'm oneeyed)
Posted By: Ysh Re: UI scaling and font size - 27/02/21 08:12 PM
I guess they could do that as the same time of this thread concerning UI
Posted By: Wolfenring Re: UI scaling and font size - 28/02/21 05:03 AM
+1 Bump
yes, I also have the request here that you incorporate this so that you can make the ui bigger
Posted By: Weekend Re: UI scaling and font size - 01/03/21 05:26 PM
+1
UI gets worst when you lower resolution to get better performance.
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=760610#Post760610
Posted By: martan717 Re: UI scaling and font size - 03/04/21 06:59 PM
There is actually a mod for that if you don't want to wait for them to fix it.

Is there? Could you share a link? I haven’t been able to find a font mod that works.

I’m eagerly waiting for just such a mod, and/or controller support that will scale up the UI, so that I can finally play BG3.
Posted By: Bobby T Re: UI scaling and font size - 31/05/21 09:12 PM
UI Scaling and font size seem pretty basic. Please, Larian, include them in a future update. BTW, the game is great!
Posted By: m0relka Re: UI scaling and font size - 20/08/21 09:33 AM
Dear Larian Studio,
Could You please add functionality of scaling fonts/UI in full version?
Any comment on that from know-person?

Best Regards
Posted By: fandoor Re: UI scaling and font size - 20/08/21 11:17 AM
My monitor is Dell UP3218K (7680×4320), however, even if I use RTX3090, the game can't reach 30 fps at native resolution. I could only reduce the resolution to 3840×2160. At this point the game UI becomes blurred. In many other games, I can modify resolution scale to get a clear UI and smooth game experience. Could you please add resolution scaling function?
Posted By: Tuco Re: UI scaling and font size - 20/08/21 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by m0relka
Dear Larian Studio,
Could You please add functionality of scaling fonts/UI in full version?
Any comment on that from know-person?

Best Regards
In ten months of EA we never had a direct comment about anything that was written here.
I don't even think we ever had a single developer posting at any point, in fact.

I wouldn't expect them to start commenting now.
Posted By: Macca Re: UI scaling and font size - 30/09/21 08:22 PM
BUMP

And maybe they could change the font as currently at 2560x1440 and all graphics maxed the text is not as clear as in DOS2 for example. Makes reading of the descriptions of spells a big pain in the @ss. Makes me not want to play it, alas...
Posted By: DiDiDi Re: UI scaling and font size - 30/09/21 09:52 PM
Playing at 1440p and font seems just fine (27 inch LCD). But font scale is a basic option, the devs have to add that eventually...
Posted By: Macca Re: UI scaling and font size - 14/10/21 07:49 PM
They added the scaling of font for the dialogue and such, plus background for dialogue, which is cool.

Now I am waiting for the UI scaling as such, as tooltips are too small, not to mention that the font choice is rather a big mistake - font aint as clear as could be. So bigger UI, bigger font for the item/spell/action description boxes. That is what we need. Otherwise - hell yeah wink
Posted By: martan717 Re: UI scaling and font size - 21/11/21 02:37 AM
Thank you so much, Larian, for hearing us and adding the font size and background option for dialogue. It really helps dialogue.

I myself still would need UI scaling (ideally through controller support, which as excellent in DOS1 & 2).

And the ability to mod the font by replacing the font files with other font files would help players like me — as is possible with DOS1 and 2. (As of Patch 6, when I try the DOS2 font mod method on BG3, all the text shows up blank.)
Posted By: UnknownEvil Re: UI scaling and font size - 21/11/21 09:05 AM
Well, It must be hard. There are not even mods out there for UI changes.

I am hoping for a versatile UI with more action bars etc. They way it is now it crappy. And not only because of the size.
Posted By: Macca Re: UI scaling and font size - 03/03/23 09:56 PM
Any news on that issue, Larian? Please do something about it...

Or add something like in-game zoom function that you can use just like in windows. The one in windows doesnt work, alas, with BG3...
Posted By: FuriousGreg Re: UI scaling and font size - 06/03/23 08:33 PM
+1

Give us the ability to manage text size for sure but the whole UI system is clunky and limiting. For one please give us as many quickslots as can fit at the bottom of the screen, design should follow function not the other way around. As characters progress there will be more spells, abilities, and other equipment that we are going to want to put in those slots and already aren't enough for 4th characters. Sure you can use the roll overs and those are useful but not ideal.
Posted By: tidecaller Re: UI scaling and font size - 29/07/23 02:07 PM
Man it's quite disheartening to read this thread and see not much change on this particular UI issue over time. I just bought the game, super excited...but my eyes are bleeding even at the character creator! Larian, *please* tell me you are working on UI-scaling for the launch window!? I'm really going to have to refund otherwise frown
Posted By: Tatoskok Re: UI scaling and font size - 29/07/23 07:00 PM
Agree. I bought the EA a while ago but then returned it on Steam within the return window, just because it was too much of an eye strain for me. Now that we're closer to launch, I bought the EA again and the accessibility/UI/fonts/readability hasn't improved at all. So I guess that I'll just have to deal with the strain and headaches, if I want to play. I'm just hoping the PS5 version has more accessibility options, if not then that's going to be even worse with only using a controller.
Posted By: JeanTav Re: UI scaling and font size - 16/08/23 04:47 PM
I just posted the same issue. August 16, 2023, it's still hard to read. I'm even playing on a 32" monitor.
Posted By: JeanTav Re: UI scaling and font size - 16/08/23 04:56 PM
Bookman font instead of times for readability. It's a little wider than times, but designed for readability. Times was designed for its ability to cram lots of information onto a newspaper page. Bookman was designed for ultimate readability in a serif font. Serifs help.
Posted By: fendweller Re: UI scaling and font size - 20/08/23 03:22 AM
Two years later after my first post, the issue is still here. Most item descriptions have a tiny font size.
Posted By: benwebb Re: UI scaling and font size - 20/08/23 01:21 PM
It is too tiny, on my 22" monitor. Surely you cannot just scale the dialogue options?!

Also the item pictures on examine seem all over the place, some at the bottom of the picture, some at the top, some upright and some flat. Looks so weird,
Posted By: KenC Re: UI scaling and font size - 30/08/23 05:54 PM
I agree. Fonts are too small and so is the UI. Some kind of scaling or customization would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure how this could be overlooked for so long.
Posted By: Macca Re: UI scaling and font size - 02/09/23 04:24 PM
It is such a pity that such a cool company as Larian is not eager to even respond to these posts. I suppose that the possibilities in the UI size department and font size would be appreciated by such short sighted folks as i am, but as well by people with better eyes playing at high res from a distance. Or at least add the possibility to zoom in. The windwos zoom in feature wont work properly with the game. Tried it.
Posted By: Macca Re: UI scaling and font size - 02/09/23 04:25 PM
It is such a pity that such a cool company as Larian is not eager to even respond to these posts. I suppose that the possibilities in the UI size department and font size would be appreciated by such short sighted folks as i am, but as well by people with better eyes playing at high res from a distance. Or at least add the possibility to zoom in. The windwos zoom in feature wont work properly with the game. Tried it.
Posted By: SickleWillow Re: UI scaling and font size - 03/09/23 06:04 AM
Good day, Larian Studios,

Hopefully, we can scale the font size of the text and UI to fit each person's taste. It's really hard to read and found myself squinting a lot when reading Character Sheet, Item Description, and the like.

Thank you!
Posted By: SvennoJ Re: UI scaling and font size - 06/10/23 01:21 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to play your game on PS5. My wife and I were looking forward to playing together in split-screen, however we can't even decipher the UI in full screen. I can barely read the tool tips from the couch, which disappear before I'm halfway through trying to make out what it says. My wife can't read it at all. Only the dialog font size can be scaled, 80px is just big enough for us. The radial wheels, item descriptions and character sheet are practically invisible.

I would love to play your game, have always been a big fan of Baldur's gate and its spin offs. However this seems to be unplayable for us now (age 46 and 49).
© Larian Studios forums