Larian Studios
Posted By: MGB Need An Implementation Schedule... - 07/10/20 05:25 PM
Hello,

I hope this inquiry finds everyone safe and healthy!

I want to say I LOVE THIS GAME. I'm not here to complain, I just need some guidance on where this is going.

I've played BG3 for over 15 hours now and it strikes me that the DEVS badly need a public implementation schedule.

Some of the fundamental pillars establishing Dungeons and Dragons foundation are either missing, coming later, or completely changed. But, it is dificult to tell because you have no idea when, if at all the DEVS plan to implement the pillars.

For example, ALIGNMENT... It is a fundamental pillar of D&D . However, we don't get to outright choose our alignment at Character Creation. If so, I missed it and it wasn't in an obvious place. Maybe we choose alignment later in the game, but for now I can't tell because I can't refer to an implementation schedule. IF I did miss it, someone please tell me where I can find it because that means I'm as blind as a bat laugh

What class features from 5e are here at the beginning, or are to come later, or are completely omitted?

For example, using "find familiar" to obtain a Pseudo Dragon is a fundamental pillar of D&D since 1st edition. My warlock's "find familiar" option does not include Pseudo Dragon as an option.

Are Pseudo Dragons omitted completely? Were they too much of a hassle to create, program, and implement?

There needs to be some sort of "Implementation Notice" that gives players a heads up of what to and not to expect when it comes to the removal of fundamental pillars of D&D's foundation.

Regardless, I love palying this game!!

+ MGB
Posted By: Gmazca Re: Need An Implementation Schedule... - 07/10/20 05:30 PM
Alignment is NOT a fundamental pillar of D&D...at least not in 5th Edition. The current edition has moved away from this to promote personal character motivations/actions over taking action based on alignment. Alignment was largely arbitrary anyway.

The Warlock's Find Familiar only produces new types if they take Pact of the Chain at a higher level. This should be explained at character creation. It should be clear when certain abilities and subclasses come online for players not familiar with how the pnp class works.

I do like the idea of a schedule, or a list of priorities Larian is working on, but with Covid still being a major obstacle, I'm just glad we have early access at all.
Posted By: blindhamster Re: Need An Implementation Schedule... - 07/10/20 05:32 PM
believe alignment is intentionally left out because they didn't want it and even the guys and girls that made D&D 5e nearly didn't include it.

Pseudodragons in D&D 5e are a warlock familiar option, so hopefully it'll come.

a rough idea on planned order of things (without indication of dates) would be pretty nice though
Posted By: QueekMors Re: Need An Implementation Schedule... - 07/10/20 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Gmazca

I do like the idea of a schedule, or a list of priorities Larian is working on, but with Covid still being a major obstacle, I'm just glad we have early access at all.

+ 1

I do think there’s some merit to wanting to keep some secrets from the fans to get reactions/surprise us, but i think a balance can be met between letting us know what’s being worked on and still surprising us with unique and interesting features.
Posted By: MGB Re: Need An Implementation Schedule... - 07/10/20 09:44 PM
Alignment is NOT a fundamental pillar of D&D...at least not in 5th Edition. The current edition has moved away from this to promote personal character motivations/actions over taking action based on alignment. Alignment was largely arbitrary anyway.

The Warlock's Find Familiar only produces new types if they take Pact of the Chain at a higher level. This should be explained at character creation. It should be clear when certain abilities and subclasses come online for players not familiar with how the pnp class works.

What are you talking about? Alignment has been with D&D since 1st Edition. And yes, it is included in 5e inside the player's handbook. It's included in the description of every monster description in the 5e monster manual. It is de-emphasised but still included on the 5e CHARCTER SHEET!!

How can you have protection from Good or Evil spells without ALIGNMENT. Some weapons or actions are dependent on ALIGNMENT. You don't know what you are talking about!!

NO, alignment is not arbitrary.
Posted By: malks Re: Need An Implementation Schedule... - 07/10/20 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by MGB

What are you talking about? Alignment has been with D&D since 1st Edition. And yes, it is included in 5e inside the player's handbook. It's included in the description of every monster description in the 5e monster manual. It is de-emphasised but still included on the 5e CHARCTER SHEET!!

How can you have protection from Good or Evil spells without ALIGNMENT. Some weapons or actions are dependent on ALIGNMENT. You don't know what you are talking about!!

NO, alignment is not arbitrary.

Dude. Be respectful, I get it, you are right, in part, but chill.

Protection from evil and good in 5e is based on creature types not alignement. Still I would like to see the alignement system in place as well.

Even if it did get less emphasis, that doesn't mean it's non existent. Just like the background it gives your character flavour (which bg3 currently lacks from the background) and complexity.

I always treated it more openly instead of a I have to do this cause thats my alignement. Even serial killers help old ladies cross the road from time to time.

Oh and the public roadmap is a great idea.
© Larian Studios forums