Larian Studios
Posted By: st33d Stabbing an iron door till it breaks isn't fun - 08/10/20 06:29 PM
I once spent an hour in DO2 chipping away at a door with magic bolts until I broke it. It was a miserable experience. I see that this is in BG3 too.

Please do not put 1000 hit point doors that I can eventually break through persistent misery.

Having more ways to complete a quest sounds like a good idea, but instead you give me a choice between a steak and a raw potato. And you've hidden the steak. So I'm like, I guess I'll have to eat the potato.

It’s your choice. Find another way in, leave it alone, or slowly bash it down. If every door can just be smashed through easily enough why bother with lock picking or trying to find a key or lever? Or should they just decide for you and make doors indestructible?
Maybe have more self control and don't do that?
Find thieves tools, it's quicker. wink

Seriously, though. I agree. In D&D, breaking open stuff either calls for a Strength check, or requires high damage rolls... if you aren't strong enough to make the check, or don't do enough damage to overcome hardness of the object, you usually can stop trying. At most, you could keep on rolling until you hit a 20, but that's about it.
Originally Posted by WarBaby2
Find thieves tools, it's quicker. wink

Seriously, though. I agree. In D&D, breaking open stuff either calls for a Strength check, or requires high damage rolls... if you aren't strong enough to make the check, or don't do enough damage to overcome hardness of the object, you usually can stop trying. At most, you could keep on rolling until you hit a 20, but that's about it.

What you said. Just do a strength check. Or wait until you get the Knock spell.
© Larian Studios forums