Larian Studios
Posted By: rbdpanda Am I missing something about Sneak Attack? - 10/10/20 03:43 PM
So I will be the first to admin I'm not super well versed in DnD rulesets, and definitely not 5e, but shouldn't Rogue sneak attack be Weapon Damage + dex mod + 1d6 for every 2 levels starting at level 1, giving my level 4 Thief +2d6 additional damage with sneak attacks? My damage is still only rolling 1d6 bonus damage on sneak attacks, at least according to my tooltip. Am I wrong about the additional dice?
I was going to open a new thread but it's enough to use yours.

Sneak attack is currently not working as of build v4.1.8.2651 (GOG).

Here are some screenshots:

Ranged:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Melee:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Checked on https://larian.com/support/baldur-s-gate-3?platform=1&query=sneak and found no report.Hopefully someone from Larian is reading these posts we are making.
I have noticed that at times when I feel like I should be getting a sneak attack, it hasn't worked. Usually if I am behind the target so that I get the 'backstab' sneak attack it works, but not if I'm targeting an enemy that has another of my allies within range, unless I'm behind the target completely. Ranged sneak attack is definitely broken, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when I get my sneak attack bonus no matter if I have a clear advantage showing on my attack rolls or not. Just completely random for ranged sneak attack. The only way I can reliably perform sneak attacks is circling to the back of my target and attacking from there, which technically also seems broken, because I can infinitely chain sneak attacks even fighting an enemy solo with my rogue simply by moving behind them, instead of needing an ally within 1.5m. I don't know if maybe that is why the damage isn't scaling up properly, but a smart rogue will play so that he can get as many sneak attacks as possible anyway while still having the damage scale up, and at level 3 and 4 I'm feeling the distinct lack of scaling and it makes rogue seem fairly lackluster compared to going with a class that will get better damage bonuses. Hopefully you're right and they're aware of things like this and will implement a fix for them
© Larian Studios forums