Larian Studios
Posted By: BadKarma [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 10/10/20 04:44 PM
Okay so the minotaur in BG3 isnt like any I have ever encountered in D&D. They should be adjusted a bit They appear to be able to Jump an infinite height distance ( they jumped to the top of the gate in Selunite Outpost) while every other creature cant jump that high. I had the gate closed and they just jumped to the top of it. Im not talking from one platform to the top of the gate, Im talking from the bottom of the gate to the top and both just did this in my game. Second, the damage they deal seems a bit odd. One round damage from any of the minotaur's on one of my characters with a charge and swing for over 100+ damage in one round. One character managed to save on the dodge but still died from the damage. That is without critical hits. So this means that both minotaur's that attacked maxed out damage on both hits each, in the same round. While possible, very unlikely. I feel like I'm playing with an angry DM that just wants to kill my characters. :-(
Posted By: Danneuber Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 10/10/20 04:46 PM
I knockbacked a minotaur on a bridge with eldricht blast, and it got stuck there doing nothing. No ranged abilities could hit him, but he couldnt react at all. I just went in and clubbed it down slowly (with mage as well).
Posted By: Shurik Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 14/10/20 09:59 AM
Are you talking about the minotaurs in the Underdark location?
Or are there others?
Anyway, they did not cause trouble at all.
I had one bottle of amazing Wyvern Poison in my backpack. 14d6 (if Dual-Wield) Poison damage in addition to physical damage.
And it looks like my adventurers discovered a shotcut to this location. Love this game!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: FreshRevenge Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 14/10/20 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Shurik
Are you talking about the minotaurs in the Underdark location?
Or are there others?
Anyway, they did not cause trouble at all.
I had one bottle of amazing Wyvern Poison in my backpack. 14d6 (if Dual-Wield) Poison damage in addition to physical damage.
And it looks like my adventurers discovered a shotcut to this location. Love this game!
[Linked Image]

That the hole that the Queen Phase Spider was in? I notice that to. Yet when I fell I died when I landed right near the Minotaur patrol.
Posted By: Shurik Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 15/10/20 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by FreshRevenge

That the hole that the Queen Phase Spider was in? I notice that to. Yet when I fell I died when I landed right near the Minotaur patrol.

Yeah, and you should cast Feather Fall spell
Posted By: Orbax Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 15/10/20 02:49 AM
I definitely didnt beat them the first time. I do, however, appreciate that and it forced me to actually think.
Posted By: JDCrenton Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 15/10/20 02:57 AM
Cheese is the answer you're looking for.
Was just doing this and fuck that fight.

A jump, and what, 2 attacks in 1 turn? It's like the people who made that encounter and designed their abilities was high. 3 attacks with 1 knockback ability in 1 turn...while ur fighting on tiny bridge and high elevations is a recipe for disaster. It is a level 4 party. It is absurd.

There is a difference between an hard encounter and one that is designed to just punish you until you come up with some amazing min-max strategy or cheese it.

"Charge: If the minotaur moves at least 10 ft. straight toward a target and then hits it with a gore Attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 9 (2d8) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 14 Strength saving throw or be pushed up to 10 ft. away and knocked prone.

Labyrinthine Recall: The minotaur can perfectly recall any path it has traveled.

Reckless: At the start of its turn, the minotaur can gain advantage on all melee weapon Attack rolls it makes during that turn, but Attack rolls against it have advantage until the start of its next turn.

Actions Greataxe: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d12 + 4) slashing damage.

Gore: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) piercing damage."

Those are the abilities of Minotaur in 5e book, i dont see a jump that knocks you prone or the possibility to attack 2x a turn on top of that also the charge mechanic. Larian really needs to just look at the Monster handbook and get attacks and stats straight from there instead of trying to homebrew everything for some...w/e reason? Cheesing fights doesn't give you a sense of accomplishment or w/e, winning a fight that was hard is fun, and worth it. Cheesing isn't and majority of the players won't be cheesing and I definitely don't want to look up cheese straights for fights with monsters who stats and attacks are turned up to 20.
Posted By: JDCrenton Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 15/10/20 02:59 AM
Originally Posted by UnderworldHades
Was just doing this and fuck that fight.

There is a difference between an hard encounter and one that is designed to just punish you until you come up with some amazing min-max strategy or cheese it.

Well that's the thing, you forgot this is a Larian game.
Posted By: Bugginity Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 15/10/20 05:05 AM
I killed Minotaurs with just luck. Almost 3 times successful saves, my battlemaster's frighten attacks success each time.

Or you need to chease to kill, just like push it off cliff...
Posted By: Gremico Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 15/10/20 05:30 AM
After trying to defeat them a couple of times i had the response of, well shit i need to run away. Thus i started running from the minotaurs towards the keep. Having forgotten to deactivate the energy beam; the statues promptly roasted my party trapping me between a gory death or fiery inferno. This prompted the idea, what if i lured the minotaurs into the trap. Well first things first, the traps did not trigger against them, secondly the minotaurs have certainly not skipped practising their jumps as they easily jumped onto the walls. Somehow i managed despite all these shenanigans. A bit frustrating that they are able to destroy the party so easily.
Posted By: mesmerizedish Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 15/10/20 05:35 AM
Originally Posted by Gremico
After trying to defeat them a couple of times i had the response of, well shit i need to run away. Thus i started running from the minotaurs towards the keep. Having forgotten to deactivate the energy beam; the statues promptly roasted my party trapping me between a gory death or fiery inferno. This prompted the idea, what if i lured the minotaurs into the trap. Well first things first, the traps did not trigger against them, secondly the minotaurs have certainly not skipped practising their jumps as they easily jumped onto the walls. Somehow i managed despite all these shenanigans. A bit frustrating that they are able to destroy the party so easily.

Using the keep's defenses was the first idea I had after getting everyone in my party one-shot. It worked perfectly for me; it must be finnicky under the hood if it didn't for you. Something for them to look at in a future patch, I guess.
Posted By: Zaxtaj Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 15/10/20 05:37 AM
I fought them for the first time today, I found a rock that if you stand directly in the middle of it they can't jump up to you so they just stand angrly and do nothing since they have no ranged attacks...
Posted By: Eddiar Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 15/10/20 05:45 AM
I just summoned my ogre mercs.

totally worth it!
Posted By: FatePeddler Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 15/10/20 06:01 AM
I found out that you can skip the minotaur encounter entirely. When we can level higher than 4, I think I'll give their encounter another go, but it's much too hard to defeat two minotaurs when we are capped at level 4 frown.
Posted By: FatePeddler Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 15/10/20 06:02 AM
Originally Posted by Zaxtaj
I fought them for the first time today, I found a rock that if you stand directly in the middle of it they can't jump up to you so they just stand angrly and do nothing since they have no ranged attacks...

This sounds like they will fix this soon, this way of killing them sounds exactly like a bug.
Posted By: Farsalis Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 15/10/20 06:13 AM
Where tf are the minotaurs? I have yet to encounter. lmao
Posted By: JDCrenton Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 15/10/20 06:14 AM
Originally Posted by Farsalis

That's all underdark baby.
Posted By: Farsalis Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 15/10/20 06:21 AM
Damn, must have missed it then.
Posted By: LostSoul Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 15/10/20 06:41 AM
First time they started wiping my party. Second time i actually was carefully in a dangerous environment.. snuck in.. and i think both were dead within a few rounds. And no pushing off ledges. Haha
Posted By: Zaxtaj Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 15/10/20 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by FatePeddler

This sounds like they will fix this soon, this way of killing them sounds exactly like a bug.

It mostly has to do with the fact that Minotaurs can't jump to an occupied space, and if they don't have the space to jump they stand there thinking about it. I did find two other locations where you can do the same thing so unless they redesign the map, change the minotaurs to be a smaller size, or redsign the jumping function I doubt it will truly be fixed.
I'm currently playing the Ghosts of Saltmarsh adventure, and we just fought this thing last week with a group of 6 (4 were level 3, and 2 were level 4). Note the legendary actions at the bottom. It wrecked us, and we barely managed to survive. While the DM seemed to want to kill us, I think he thought it would take too long to roll up new characters, so he ran us all down to near death and then we finally killed him. In all fairness, it should have wiped the party. That doesn't mean it's OP, it just means the party isn't ready for that fight yet.

https://5e.tools/bestiary/thousand-teeth-gos.html

I went into the Underdark and took down both of the minotaurs with my eldritch knight. His AC was good enough that they missed most of the time. They immediately killed my mage and cleric in the first moments of the engagement. The next round, they killed Asterion, but not before he was able to stab one of them pretty well. My EK then got some good hits using Faithbreaker. The minos hit like trucks, but I think their AC is teh suxxors, because my EK rarely missed, and took them both down within a few rounds. They got him good twice, but he still had 3 HPs when the second one died. Then I went to try to help Asterion stand up, and didn't notice that Gale was already dead right next to him. Gale's death gas dropped me like a sack of crap.
Posted By: Tomoya Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 15/10/20 06:47 AM
It mostly has to do with the fact that Minotaurs can't jump to an occupied space, and if they don't have the space to jump they stand there thinking about it. I did find two other locations where you can do the same thing so unless they redesign the map, change the minotaurs to be a smaller size, or redsign the jumping function I doubt it will truly be fixed.

They could allow them to shove you off somehow maybe?
Posted By: Zaxtaj Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 15/10/20 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by Ragnar Hammerhan
I'm currently playing the Ghosts of Saltmarsh adventure, and we just fought this thing last week with a group of 6 (4 were level 3, and 2 were level 4). Note the legendary actions at the bottom. It wrecked us, and we barely managed to survive. While the DM seemed to want to kill us, I think he thought it would take too long to roll up new characters, so he ran us all down to near death and then we finally killed him. In all fairness, it should have wiped the party. That doesn't mean it's OP, it just means the party isn't ready for that fight yet.

https://5e.tools/bestiary/thousand-teeth-gos.html

I went into the Underdark and took down both of the minotaurs with my eldritch knight. His AC was good enough that they missed most of the time. They immediately killed my mage and cleric in the first moments of the engagement. The next round, they killed Asterion, but not before he was able to stab one of them pretty well. My EK then got some good hits using Faithbreaker. The minos hit like trucks, but I think their AC is teh suxxors, because my EK rarely missed, and took them both down within a few rounds. They got him good twice, but he still had 3 HPs when the second one died. Then I went to try to help Asterion stand up, and didn't notice that Gale was already dead right next to him. Gale's death gas dropped me like a sack of crap.

They were easy to hit because they were setup as Barbarians, they continuously used the Reckless Attack feature meaning that all their attacks were at advantage, and all attacks against them were at advantage.
Posted By: Zaxtaj Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 15/10/20 06:50 AM
Originally Posted by Tomoya

Part of the problem is that when you are in that type of space you are also out of melee range so they would need a ranged shove, or some form of ranged attack.
Posted By: Tomoya Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 15/10/20 06:52 AM

Part of the problem is that when you are in that type of space you are also out of melee range so they would need a ranged shove, or some form of ranged attack.

I was thinking they might just bash into the side of what your standing on and topple you off it. Or something creative like that.
Posted By: Zaxtaj Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 15/10/20 06:53 AM

I was thinking they might just bash into the side of what your standing on and topple you off it. Or something creative like that.

That would be cool, but it may be difficult to implement.
Posted By: Doomlord Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 15/10/20 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by Farsalis

The only way I have been able to find them, is from the spider cave ( the one in the well in the blighted town) There is a large hole in the ground you cant miss it. Have feather fall on. You will drop down into the underdark and right on top of the mino's
Posted By: ShaArt Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 26/10/20 05:02 AM
I dropped everyone one by one & sneaked them away from the minotaurs' line of sight. That way when my mage finally dropped & triggered the fight regardless I got 3 sneak attacks on them. They still yeeted Lae'zel off the cliff but I somehow still managed to off them without needing to resurrect anyone, including Lae'zel. You absolutely need to be lvl4...anything less requires luck or cheese.
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 26/10/20 05:40 AM
I killed them after a few try but this combat is ridiculous.
Posted By: virion Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 26/10/20 05:51 AM
Personally, I loved it. Granted, difficulty level is a subjective question. But personally I feel if I make a positioning mistake or if i use the wrong spell -> I want to get oblitared for it. That's pretty much what happens when you meet those two sweet creatures.
Posted By: Popsculpture Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 26/10/20 05:52 AM
when I got in this fight the bulette showed up and they started fighting each other. I just thought that's how it was scripted; it was pretty epic.
Posted By: Azarielle Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 26/10/20 06:27 AM
I used Ogres for this - they tanked through the whole fight so it was quite easy. Then I went back with Glut and ressed them both plus a fallen ogre - after that we went around, cleared the whole map. I love the things this game lets you do! (Just remember to suicide jump your new-found friends before fighting Glut).
However one thing I noticed I could never recreate these extremely long jumps with the Minotaurs and their range has also been a lot shorter than expected from fighting them.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 26/10/20 11:15 AM
They are not as hard ...
You just cant rush to them through some hole in the roof, when you dont overpower them by a lot. laugh
Posted By: denhonator Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 26/10/20 11:49 AM
If it was a forced fight I would understand the complaint. Afaik there isn't even any kind of quest that requires you to beat them. Optional fights should be challenging. Also, I found it very exciting to encounter such a crazy foe. Would be boring if all enemies just kindly behave in some expected manner. The fight catches you off guard which is really cool.

As for needing to cheese it: no. Unless your party just isn't cut out for combat, it's perfectly manageable without barrels, surfaces, causing them to fall to death etc. You do want to be LV4 and have decent equipment, which I think is reasonable considering it's the endgame area of EA
Posted By: 1varangian Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 26/10/20 12:27 PM
I took one out with Menacing Strike which is super OP,

The other one I just casually shoved off the ledge.
Posted By: Surface R Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 26/10/20 01:02 PM
Its a great fight with plenty of options.

No need to adjust anything in terms of making it easier. I would add a third Minotaur though...
Posted By: vometia Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 26/10/20 01:06 PM
I wouldn't consider them to be an especially difficult fight and far from the hardest in the game. I think I can say that with some authority because 1) I am really bad at combat: I mean really, really bad; 2) I really suck at tactics; and 3) I nearly always roll low. They're not a pushover, but they're not that hard either as long as your dudes don't all bunch up in handy striking distance.
Posted By: Bernkastel Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 26/10/20 01:17 PM
I killed them first try so maybe I had luck but
Can you surprise attack the first round from stealth? I don't remember exactly, but anyway:
1. Grease both of them
2. Lae zel Menacing Strike, action surge, Menacing Strike (you can use a potion of haste too if you have one before combat so one more attack)
3. The rest of the party attacks
Before they could get out of grease one was already dead, so it was pretty easy by them.

PS: pls don't nerf, make more optional (more out of the way like the spectator) if it looks too bad in your data smile
These fights are the best combat moments in the game.
Posted By: Demoulius Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 26/10/20 01:19 PM
Actually managed to kill them in the first go when they stumbled upon my party with barely any spell slots left (full caster party) so im not to sure how I managed that. Probably the amount of consumables that I used?

But yeah, the minotaurs moving 200 feet in 1 turn and still managing to attack with a aoe kockdown and a charge is beyond parody. This encounter is a joke
Posted By: denhonator Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 26/10/20 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Demoulius

But yeah, the minotaurs moving 200 feet in 1 turn and still managing to attack with a aoe kockdown and a charge is beyond parody. This encounter is a joke

It is a little ridiculous, but more so thematically and visually than in terms of difficulty. Right now their jump is more of a "fly" than a jump
Posted By: Baraz Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 02/11/20 01:55 PM
What I experienced / saw are minautaurs that are beyond CR 4 as they can do a 3-combo attack that hits 100%. In short ...

Attack #1 : supernatural jump that knocks you prone it seems 100 % *
Attack #2 hits 100 % as you are prone
Attack #3 (charge, though zero feet) also hits 100 % as you are still prone (same turn).

* Prone 100 % : Astarion 18 Dex and my main 16 Dex were knocked prone 3X in a row (in all, so seems to be 100%).

Let's ignore that Charge requires 10 feet movement, as a melee attack on a prone character would be worse anyhow.

Now, for others here, I understand you attacked them in a context where you may NOT have suffered that jump-combo of 100% hit for 13-54 damage (1d6 from death-from-above +2d12+4 +2d8+4). Some of you "jumped them" and so faired better.

If they do the 3 attacks I described, following their supernatural jump, they are no longer CR 4.
As for their super jump, I guess they are Absolutes, as the tadpole is the explanation given by Larian Studios for the character's super jump.

That AI also had the following two other "cheats" (capacities that bypass the game systems) ...

CONTEXT : I am behind the Selune gate, which I closed when luring them to it and activated the trap ! I had a whole ambush set for them !

BUT ...
1) Though the trap worked 100 % against my characters even in turn-based they did not trigger when the minautaurs walked on the stairs and jumped about 20 feet upwards on the left-hand guard tower.
My characters doing the same move/jump could never evade the trap.
2) They jumped directly on my characters even if they were both hidden and out of line-of-sight (no line of attack/sight). The first time I thought it could be a coincidence, but a 2nd minautaur jumped *on* Shadowheart (from the tower to the top of the gate) though she was both hidden and out of line-of-sight. I therefore notice they have a radar.

AI : while it is an issue that other mobs become braindead when you hide, the minautaurs here were able to jump directly on my characters even when hidden without any line...

Imagine that my whole ambush set-up using the Selune gate, ironically, screwed me over more than if I had just straight-up attacked them since I suffered minautaurs that were immune to the trap and jumped over the gate directly on my characters. My main was KO on the second attack and therefore lost 2 Death Saves with the third attack, in one turn (so much for my Blade Ward and being out of sight on the gate).

After that strange CR X attack, Laezel (Battlemaster) was able to dispatch them. In normal melee, you can do fine and they have weaknesses (low Dex and Wis).

Posted By: Shinshi Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 02/11/20 02:12 PM
Command: Halt spell or frighten ranged attack by leazel helped alot. You see the red dot before you start fighting. First time arround I was lvl 3 when encountering them, didnt go well, leveled up and than found the halt spell which made it easy. The encounter is a challenge 5 so yes it is supposed to be difficult
Posted By: Tulkash01 Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 02/11/20 02:20 PM
It's strange because I killed both of them quite easily in my second playthrough and I jumped down into the Underdark from the spider's lair which puts you directly against them without time to set anything up. My suggestion is to space up your characters, use potions of speed and focus fire one at the time. It worked like a charm for me.
Posted By: Baraz Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 02/11/20 02:30 PM
I feel my above post is not being really read ... What I describe is really broken *if* you suffer that attack form... if not they are normal minautaurs.

My characters were spaced out all right : they were behind the Selune gate with a whole trap / ambush set-up.
Turned out that it made it much worse (3 attacks with 100% chance to hit player character) than if I had just attacked them outright.

nb : I will send a feedback directly to Larian.
Posted By: Kolvaer Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 02/11/20 04:16 PM
Also, it seems so random. Like, why are there not one, but two Minotaurs just aimlessly wandering around. And so far from Labyrinth (assuming it's in BG3)?

Anyway, I got to the Underdark by going down the well and then jumping down after the Phase Spider fight. The "angry DM" was like, "Welcome to the Underdark, MFS!!!". Both minotaurs engaged in battle as soon as I landed, immediately TPKing me in one round. After several tries, and one Potion of Giant Strength later, Lae'zel was lucky enough to shove them off the high walk ways, sending them falling a long way down, dealing half or more damage to them. Making them prone and my party having the high ground was just barely enough of an advantage to squeak by for the win.

That encounter is NOT for a level 4 party!
Posted By: Demoulius Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 02/11/20 05:59 PM
What gripes me about all the underdark fights is the depth that they deviated from the monster manuals. Just giving them an thematic attack like a cleave or something ontop of the charge I feel would be fine. But their jump also does aoe *pass test or damage and prone* and they have multiattack.

Right now they got extra:
-more movement
-Multi attack
-Aoe jump (which also crosses insane distances) thst does aoe attack upon landing
-shockwave. Not sure what it is (aoe cleave maybe?) But i saw it a few times.
-charge not requiring 10 feet of movement before they can use it.

Their movement ranges that they gain by using their charge and jump make them so insanely fast I cant fathom they put it in the game and went 'yes. This is a perfectly balanced fight'

Dropping everything but the charge, maybe give them a special sweep attack (if shockwave already is that, let them keep that) and call it a day. The fight would still be a very big challenge not to lose anyone without requiring the player to burn all their abilities in 1 fight.
I killed them first try, and the TOTAL amount of damage that the minotaurs dealt to my party was 7. 7 damage. I didn't use any cheesy stuff like barrelmancy or overpowered consumables, either. I feel like I should make a video showing people tips for handling this fight.
Posted By: mrfuji3 Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 02/11/20 06:09 PM
Chiming in to say that I found the minotaur difficulty level to be appropriate. Difficult, but not TPK-multiple-times difficult.
For PnP 5e, it would definitely be too difficult as it would almost assuredly lead to a PC death. But this is a video game; you can reload if your whole party dies. You can reload if any of your party dies. You also have scrolls of revivify.

That said, them (and us) jumping every single turn was silly. I'd be fine with their Jump ability if it was restricted to their first turn, or only usable every 3-4 turns.
Posted By: Abits Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 02/11/20 06:15 PM
I killed them first playthrough too. I wasn't as lucky in subsequent playthroughs, but If I did it anyone can. I usually suck so hard in these kind of games I'm quite proud of myself.

What gripes me about all the underdark fights is the depth that they deviated from the monster manuals. Just giving them an thematic attack like a cleave or something ontop of the charge I feel would be fine. But their jump also does aoe *pass test or damage and prone* and they have multiattack.

Right now they got extra:
-more movement
-Multi attack
-Aoe jump (which also crosses insane distances) thst does aoe attack upon landing
-shockwave. Not sure what it is (aoe cleave maybe?) But i saw it a few times.
-charge not requiring 10 feet of movement before they can use it.

My rule of thumb is that as long as it's doable without silly Larian shenanigans, it's fine.
Posted By: Baraz Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 02/11/20 07:11 PM
So because many of you did not suffer the following issue, you think it is fine ?

Attack #1 : supernatural jump (25 feet including upwards) that knocks you prone (seemed 100% for Astarion and my Wizard with 16+ Dex each).
Attack #2 hits 100 % as you are prone
Attack #3 (charge, though zero feet) also hits 100 % as you are still prone (same turn).

Total of 1d6 +2d12+4 +2d8+4. No rolls to hit.

If you are close, they do not do the jump-combo of death.

Normally, in D&D, the minautaur rolls to hit twice if they manage to charge/gore first, albeit with a Reckless (Advantage, which is cancelled by any Disadvantage).

EDIT: again, if you do not suffer that combo, they are easy to hit (Reckless) and have low Dex and Wis.
Posted By: Demoulius Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 02/11/20 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
I killed them first try, and the TOTAL amount of damage that the minotaurs dealt to my party was 7. 7 damage. I didn't use any cheesy stuff like barrelmancy or overpowered consumables, either. I feel like I should make a video showing people tips for handling this fight.

Please tell me how you managed that? Because I dont buy it.

I was stuck in a conversation (walked in the mycanoid cloud) so the Minotaurs were in melee range before I even got to react. The 1st minotaur was right on top of me. The 2nd moved about 200 feet in a single bloody turn with all their jumps and charges included in its movement. They have advantage on all their attacks, got an aoe knockback and a charge. I find it highly unlikely that they only did single didgit numbers.

And people saying that they could win the fight... Thats not the point now is it? I also beat them on my first go, had almost no spell slots and while Gale died, he was the only one. The point is that just about every encounter in the underdark has this form of difficulty and the monsters are very...... Homebrew. They took the appearance and statlines from the monster and dident look at their attacks and abilities. For that they just fumbled something together.

Originally Posted by Firesnakearies

Please tell me how you managed that? Because I dont buy it.

I was stuck in a conversation (walked in the mycanoid cloud) so the Minotaurs were in melee range before I even got to react. The 1st minotaur was right on top of me. The 2nd moved about 200 feet in a single bloody turn with all their jumps and charges included in its movement. They have advantage on all their attacks, got an aoe knockback and a charge. I find it highly unlikely that they only did single didgit numbers.

And people saying that they could win the fight... Thats not the point now is it? I also beat them on my first go, had almost no spell slots and while Gale died, he was the only one. The point is that just about every encounter in the underdark has this form of difficulty and the monsters are very...... Homebrew. They took the appearance and statlines from the monster and dident look at their attacks and abilities. For that they just fumbled something together.

Can confirm. I stumbled into them with Lez, Shadowheart, and Wyl and mopped them up in two rounds. My main, a thief, and Wyl were low health but not dead. They missed one out of two attacks against my party. I just popped a potion of speed on Lez, her three attacks and a backstab took one down, and then with the other I cast rain, used an ice arrow, and beat him to death while he was doing backstrokes on the ground.
Posted By: mrfuji3 Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 02/11/20 08:04 PM
@Baraz The knocking down isn't 100%. Typically half of my party falls prone from the first jump. Unfortunately, I think you got super unlucky
Even if it did, this is addressed by spacing your party out. I'm fine with some encounters being incredibly lethal without foreknowledge. It's a game, so game-over then reload.

@Demoulius, I'm not Firesnakearies, but if the initial minotaur misses their attack then the rest is decently easy with some luck.
Use Fighter's Menacing Attacks that cause fear. If you use action surge and fear both minotaurs, that's a full turn where neither of them hit you.
Use hold person/web/other spells to restrain them
Use bane on them to reduce their likelihood of hitting.
Use potion of speed to increase your dps
*snip* And people saying that they could win the fight... Thats not the point now is it? I also beat them on my first go, had almost no spell slots and while Gale died, he was the only one. The point is that just about every encounter in the underdark has this form of difficulty and the monsters are very...... Homebrew. They took the appearance and statlines from the monster and dident look at their attacks and abilities. For that they just fumbled something together.

Maybe not the point you're making, but there are a lot of people in this thread discussing the difficulty of the encounter. Larian, and all DMs, are allowed to homebrew monsters. (Again, I'll agree that the minotaurs jumping every turn looks silly)
Originally Posted by BadKarma
Okay so the minotaur in BG3 isnt like any I have ever encountered in D&D. They should be adjusted a bit
*snip*
I feel like I'm playing with an angry DM that just wants to kill my characters. :-(

Difficulty ties directly to available monster abilities. If the minotaurs didn't have this jump+knockdown ability, they'd be a cakewalk
Posted By: Baraz Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 02/11/20 08:27 PM
@mrfuji3 : in relation to space between my party members, read my previous post. I was certainly the best prepared player ever ...

There is no resistance to a minautaur jumping 20 feet up onto a tower of the Selune gate, knocking my hidden MC prone, and then doing two automatic hits. RIP in an ambush position behind the Selune gate with the trap activated (that only triggers for me). I did defeat them otherwise (1 dead, 1 KO, Laezel MVP)

But I do note the Jump-prone of death-is-not-automatic (that is good). Dex was probably not used in the roll.

For those who think it is about being noob or ill-prepared :
- I was in a super defensive ambush position, using the Selune gate (closed) and trap (activated), but ironically starting in close quarter combat is easier.
- I cleared the ENTIRE goblin camp on first try ;
- I defeated the Gith patrol when I was level 3 on first try ;
- I defeated the Spectator on first try and surprised (but with one character KO/not dead).

It is not about bad play. Prone = 2 auto hits and not CR 4 nor 5. Otherwise, they have weaknesses and can be defeated on first try.
Posted By: mrfuji3 Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 02/11/20 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Baraz
I feel my above post is not being really read ... What I describe is really broken *if* you suffer that attack form... if not they are normal minautaurs.

My characters were spaced out all right : they were behind the Selune gate with a whole trap / ambush set-up.
Turned out that it made it much worse (3 attacks with 100% chance to hit player character) than if I had just attacked them outright.

nb : I will send a feedback directly to Larian.

This previous post? If I'm understanding this correctly, instead of the minotaur knocking down all your party members, it knocked down only your player character and attacked them 3 times?

If so, that's exactly the right strategy. You use healing word to get them back up, and still have 3 character's worth of ~full turns before the minotaur gets to act again...

If I'm understanding this incorrectly, and the minotaur still knocked down all your party members, then they just weren't spaced out enough...?

But yes @Baraz, I agree that the Selune gate trap should trigger for the minotaurs. If it doesn't, that's a bug that Larian needs to fix. Your plan was interesting and should have worked; Larian should encourage that type of play.
Posted By: Baraz Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 02/11/20 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by mrfuji3

This previous post? If I'm understanding this correctly, instead of the minotaur knocking down all your party members, it knocked down only your player character and attacked them 3 times?
(...)

The slight 'semantic' misunderstanding here is that I count the damaging jump-make-prone as an attack, which makes three attacks:
- the first (1d6 and prone) that seemed automatic (prob. uses Str vs Str and not Dex, hence my failure to resist)
- a second 100% hit : 2d12+4
- a third (Charge/Gore 0 feet) 100% hit: 2d8+4 (which, in my case, was also a Crit from being KO).

IMO, just tweaking the jump/prone attack and/or making the Charge attack require 10 feet could adapt the encounter a bit better, but Larian statistics will tell.
Posted By: mrfuji3 Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 02/11/20 08:47 PM

(...)

The slight 'semantic' misunderstanding here is that I count the damaging jump-make-prone as an attack, which makes three attacks:
- the first (1d6 and prone) that seemed automatic (prob. uses Str vs Str and not Dex, hence my failure to resist)
- a second 100% hit : 2d12+4
- a third (Charge/Gore 0 feet) 100% hit: 2d8+4 (which, in my case, was also a Crit from being KO).

Ah, but crits don't matter once your down. The first attack should not kill you. The second attack should probably bring you down to 0HP. The third attack will give you a death saving throw. (This is how BG3 works right? PnP a crit is 2 failed saving throws, but in BG3 it's just one?)
On your turn, you might fail a death saving throw and bring you to 2 total.
Then it's your party members' turns who can bring you back up. Right?

The issue with encounters with small # of monsters is that they individually have to be extremely lethal and/or have multiple attacks, or else the players' party of 4(or more) will just absolutely overwhelm the enemy with action economy.
Posted By: Baraz Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 02/11/20 08:54 PM
Ah, but crits don't matter once your down. The first attack should not kill you. The second attack should probably bring you down to 0HP. The third attack will give you a death saving throw. (This is how BG3 works right? PnP a crit is 2 failed saving throws, but in BG3 it's just one?)
On your turn, you might fail a death saving throw and bring you to 2 total.
Then it's your party members' turns who can bring you back up. Right?

Although we are getting a bit off topic : I forget how I failed to save the character, but the next turn the minautaur ignored Laezel in melee and instead ended the dying character. Normally, creatures who wish to live focus the active threats, but anyhow. No matter, we have tons of Revivify scrolls. It did not matter to me: the 3 left characters focused on ending the two minautaurs rather than saving a character.

In retrospect, using Dex or Wis spells would have been much much better than my ambush/trap attempt.
Posted By: Demoulius Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 02/11/20 09:01 PM
@Baraz The knocking down isn't 100%. Typically half of my party falls prone from the first jump. Unfortunately, I think you got super unlucky
Even if it did, this is addressed by spacing your party out. I'm fine with some encounters being incredibly lethal without foreknowledge. It's a game, so game-over then reload.

@Demoulius, I'm not Firesnakearies, but if the initial minotaur misses their attack then the rest is decently easy with some luck.
Use Fighter's Menacing Attacks that cause fear. If you use action surge and fear both minotaurs, that's a full turn where neither of them hit you.
Use hold person/web/other spells to restrain them
Use bane on them to reduce their likelihood of hitting.
Use potion of speed to increase your dps

Knocking down wasent 100% for me either. But if you did fall down the amount of incoming damage was pretty severe.

Menacing attacks is an interesting way to weaken them. Hadent considered that myself (mostly because Lae'zel wasent in my party at the time)
Hold person should not work on Minotaurs. They arent humanoid but large monstrocities. You would need hold monster, which is a 5th level spell. Web would work though. But only for a turn because you cant anchor the web between walls. (does it work like it does in pnp? Im not sure, havent tried the spell)
-Bane is a -D4 penaly to hit. If they have advantage chances that it wont do to much are fairly high.
-Using consambles can help at a pinch. Used a potions of strength and speed myself. But those give you bonuses, they dont make the minotaurs less nasty.

Anyway, whatever or not the player has good odds of fighting them (they are beatable, but it can be rough) isent the issue. To me anyway. More that these minotaurs arent minotaurs. And sure theyre allowed to homebrew here and there but.... every. single. fight. in the underdark is one such fight. At a certain point it isent fun anymore and the way that Larian amped up the difficulty is...lazy. All the monsters have been buffed in the same manner. They can all outright fly with how far they can jump, do aoe damage (which is the Bulette's signature move but ok), all have multi attack, all have some form of charge or sweep or BOTH. Basicly the only difference between these monsters is their HP bar and their 3D model. Because of this the fights arent interesting or memorable. Just hard. The difficulty also means that the underdark has only deadly encounters which any DM will tell you isent a good idea to put infront of your players.... unless you hate them with a burning passion I suppose.
Posted By: mrfuji3 Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 02/11/20 09:05 PM
Although we are getting a bit off topic : I forget how I failed to save the character, but the next turn the minautaur ignored Laezel in melee and instead ended the dying character. Normally, creatures who wish to live focus the active threats, but anyhow. No matter, we have tons of Revivify scrolls. It did not matter to me: the 3 left characters focused on ending the two minautaurs rather than saving a character.

In retrospect, using Dex or Wis spells would have been much much better than my ambush/trap attempt.

A little bit off-topic, sure, but still worthwhile discussion. As has been argued in many threads, the enemies' penchant for attacking downed enemies is a bit odd and feels spiteful. And doesn't really make sense for all but the most feral or most intelligent enemies.

@Demoulius
I find that Menacing Attack is one of the most useful abilities out of all the characters' abilities, since being frightened is overpowered in BG3 compared to PnP 5e.
-you're right that hold person wouldn't work. I retract that statement.

I agree with you that Larian homebrewing a lot of characters to add the same jump mechanic is somewhat boring. Just let the minotaurs charge!
Posted By: Abits Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 02/11/20 09:05 PM
Don't forget to grease them good. anyway, I thought I wrote it earlier but apparently, it was on a different topic - don't forget you have a level lock. If you meet them on the full game and you are level 5-6 I believe this encounter would be much easier
Posted By: Baraz Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 02/11/20 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Abits
Don't forget to grease them good. anyway, I thought I wrote it earlier but apparently, it was on a different topic - don't forget you have a level lock. If you meet them on the full game and you are level 5-6 I believe this encounter would be much easier

- Exactly ! When I redo that fight, Grease, Ray of Frost, etc. Making them prone instead of me :P
- Laezel did succeed a Fright effect ! :P
- Good point that we can easily be levels 5 or 6 in the full game. I was level 4 before even attacking the goblin camp/Selune temple ruins nor doing the spîder lair.
Posted By: whalesecrets Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 03/11/20 04:15 AM
Fog spell, best spell in the game. Hide in fog, pop out of fog, shoot them, hide back in fog. I'm invincible!
Posted By: CMF Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 03/11/20 06:30 AM
Killed minos a few times now. Very first encounter was way too hard, my builds were bad and I avoided the fight. Second time through I had a mix of melee and ranged and was able to force out the fight with a few assists on downed characters. A lucky miss streak by them helped me finish the minos at the end.
After that I knew I could cheese them and knock them off a ledge or use other environmentals to win. I even ran them back to the keep and turned on the defense lasers but then they jumped up on the ramparts and I had to fight them normally again.

My latest kill was with an all melee group (to test viability I have my "brawler bros" and my "caster comrades" to see how balanced the archetypes are). My whole melee group is around 19-21 AC but the minos are still able to land hits on us reliably. I thought I was gonna have to reload and try again when one of my characters got knocked over the ledge and landed next to the bulette. Well the next move both mino's jump down and start attacking the guy down there, he gets downed pretty quickly...then the bullette starts attacking the minotaurs!!! they all got each other low and I threw a heal potion over the ledge and got my downed player up. I ran him out of line of sight and sheathed him away as the NPCs fought each other and I lobbed arrows from up top.....there are so many different ways to approach this fight it is pretty amazing.
Posted By: Abits Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 03/11/20 06:40 AM
I think the biggest problem with the minotaurs is the fact that this fight is unavoidable. Usually hard fights like this one are optional. If I had to fight Firkraag the first time I encountered him I would probably never finish BG2. Like I said before, I assume this fight is so hard right now because of the ea level cap. I hope they won't change it too much because it's a fitting place for a hard fight, but I also hope they would give us the known dnd choice of "git gud and come back"
Posted By: CMF Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 03/11/20 07:00 AM
I was able to avoid it the first time playing. yes they saw me and killed me before I knew they were there, but after a reload I just snuck around them and avoided that section all together. nothing back there beyond a chest I think. Can walk down the other path and jump across to get to the mushroom people and not have to fight the minotaurs
Posted By: Abits Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 03/11/20 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by CMF
I was able to avoid it the first time playing. yes they saw me and killed me before I knew they were there, but after a reload I just snuck around them and avoided that section all together. nothing back there beyond a chest I think. Can walk down the other path and jump across to get to the mushroom people and not have to fight the minotaurs

It's possible only if you come from the goblin fort and only if you know they are there. Hardly optional imo. Again, I don't mind it not being optional provided we'll be allowed to have an extra level or two when fighting them (which I believe we'll have)
Posted By: CMF Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 03/11/20 07:25 AM
No there is a path going down left exiting the abandoned fort. If you go straight out of that it walks you into the purple spore mist and the minotaurs. If you go left down the ramp it triggers the bullette. If you are sneaking you can avoid triggering the minotaurs agro even if you are not in the cone of visibility (as they agro just a bit before the red cone intersects with you, so sometimes they see you at the purple mushroom spore mist).

(just realized you said goblin fort, which is what I just described)....

The very first time I ran into the mino's i jumped a character down the pit at the phase spiders because I accidently won by pushing the matriarch down the hole and wanted to see if i could go down there and find a body to loot. Imagine my surprise on finding the underdark!!! From there I was able to jump off the side next to the flamable mushrooms and sneak out, again you can avoid a fight from that approach....I am not sure of any other ways to get to the underdark at the moment. Goblins or the spider cave.
Posted By: Abits Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 03/11/20 07:31 AM
Really? I was certain the spider queen route is instant battle. Good to know. But the first time I jumped I died from the fall 🤣. Anyway stealth is really not my cup of tea. But I guess it's nice to have options.
Posted By: CMF Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 03/11/20 07:57 AM
Lol, I too died the first time. I was highly amused with the spiraling down piano/music as I flipped around and fell to my death...that was the first time I used feather fall in the game and was pleasantly surprised to see that worked too. That accidental spider fight win and then falling down the hole to find another world was the moment I thought that this game was amazing.

I was so awestruck (and only level 3 at the time) that I was timidly sneaking everywhere and moving really slow.
Posted By: Abits Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 03/11/20 08:33 AM
I think the developers should really think about better ways to handle this scene. Perhaps just a short massage you died and a game over if you don't jump with feather fall. Because having this epic scene only to die is stupidly hilarious
Posted By: Jhelzei Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 07/11/20 11:13 PM
Not sure if anyone's noticed this yet, and forgive me if it's already been mentioned, but if you "examine" the minotaurs you'll notice that they're resistant to slashing weapons and vulnerable to bludgeoning. Maybe that'll help someone out...
Posted By: Balls Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 08/11/20 12:05 AM
The thing about all of Larian's games is, they force the player to think. There is no charging blindly into these sorts of strong foes....you have to plan and use the ground and your spells and abilities to suit the occasion. The first time facing the minotaurs, got my ass kicked badly. Took some moving of barrels and studying the ground, and took them on the third try. Lae'zel gor tossed off an edge deep into the depths of the dark, but, we prevailed.

I realize that some players don't like being forced to plan and really use strategy- but personally, I love the way Larian surprises and seems to present impossible foes or traps that force you to really think outside the box and be clever. They offer real challenges to players. They leave you feeling accomplished. While it may seem cheesy to have to save and try again, it is extremely fun, to me anyways, being forced into these difficult situations where the answers are not always obvious. I don't like games that hold your hand where you "follow the carrot" through a one way maze. Give me this creative play, where there are multiple answers, different directions to travel, lots of ways to travel the path of adventure.
Originally Posted by Balls
The thing about all of Larian's games is, they force the player to think. There is no charging blindly into these sorts of strong foes....you have to plan and use the ground and your spells and abilities to suit the occasion. The first time facing the minotaurs, got my ass kicked badly. Took some moving of barrels and studying the ground, and took them on the third try. Lae'zel gor tossed off an edge deep into the depths of the dark, but, we prevailed.

I realize that some players don't like being forced to plan and really use strategy- but personally, I love the way Larian surprises and seems to present impossible foes or traps that force you to really think outside the box and be clever. They offer real challenges to players. They leave you feeling accomplished. While it may seem cheesy to have to save and try again, it is extremely fun, to me anyways, being forced into these difficult situations where the answers are not always obvious. I don't like games that hold your hand where you "follow the carrot" through a one way maze. Give me this creative play, where there are multiple answers, different directions to travel, lots of ways to travel the path of adventure.

The combat encounters are honestly the only reason I didn't shelf this game after finishing the EA. I still think the kid and the harpies is the best, but there are so many dynamic encounters its easy to find a favorite.

+1 Balls
Posted By: N7Greenfire Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 08/11/20 02:09 AM
I did them for the first time the other day, they ambushed me actually, They were that bad at all
Posted By: Soul-Scar Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 08/11/20 02:10 AM
Minotaurs cannot jump, they have a 10ft knockdown charge attack, greataxe and gore. They surely cannot jump/knockdown from half way across the map.
Posted By: N7Greenfire Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 08/11/20 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
Minotaurs cannot jump, they have a 10ft knockdown charge attack, greataxe and gore. They surely cannot jump/knockdown from half way across the map.

Pretty sure their charge is "atleast" 10 feet
Posted By: Mezbarrena Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 08/11/20 02:35 AM
First time I faced this encounter, I thought, wow it's tough. Just got done soloing it again for like the 5th time. Solo as in 1 character playthrough with no party members.
Originally Posted by Jhelzei
Not sure if anyone's noticed this yet, and forgive me if it's already been mentioned, but if you "examine" the minotaurs you'll notice that they're resistant to slashing weapons and vulnerable to bludgeoning. Maybe that'll help someone out...

Well, one of them is. Due to an item he's wearing. Still, if you take advantage of that vulnerability, it does make the fight much easier.
Posted By: Dee_MogII Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 13/11/20 09:27 PM
I love these brothers/sisters! It's a bit sad they can't be interacted with, but, after the spider queen these guys were my wake up fight.

If you take the elevator from the Zhent Mercenary's hidden base it brings you out on a ledge with a rope ladder. There are some wooden boxes in front of that need to be climbed over, so I just kept the rest of my party back and used Lae'Zel with a bow to whittle them down a bit, I think there is some path-finding issues with these guys because the trick is to make a ranged attack and then climb back over the boxes in the same turn. They get stuck in their decision phase on their turn and won't do anything. They -do- break out of this eventually and will try and jump up the ledge, so at that point make sure your party is spread out, my party was Main Cleric, Shadowheart, Astarion and Lae'zel. I considered Gale or Wyll, but I find they are very squishy, and at level 4 extra damage isn't really so great over survivability.

They hit like the trucks they are in Reckless but as others have mentioned CC like Grease and Ray of Frost are useful to keep them tripping up. I think they will probably be less of an issue after the level cap is raised because at that point I had already completed nearly all the above-ground stuff.
Posted By: alice_ashpool Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 13/11/20 09:53 PM
These guys are too easy as they currently stand. Larian Please consider 3 minotaurs minimum
Posted By: Verte Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 13/11/20 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
These guys are too easy as they currently stand. Larian Please consider 3 minotaurs minimum

and combine with bulette
Posted By: alice_ashpool Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 13/11/20 10:01 PM
Having the bulette show up to help its friends the minotaurs when you kill the first one. Its being ridden by a fourth minotaur.
Posted By: Verte Re: [Spoiler] Minotaur - Please Adjust - 13/11/20 10:10 PM
Having the bulette show up to help its friends the minotaurs when you kill the first one. Its being ridden by a fourth minotaur.

Bulette go undeground for 1 turn and minotaur falls on his ass, ground is shaking. Party have to succes in acrobatics check or its knocked prone, ta-dah!

This is what I'm talking about!

I should see about duping the Iron Flask, just so I can add a Spectator to every fight.
© Larian Studios forums