Larian Studios
Posted By: Zress What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 04:25 AM
I am not sure I like the narrator voice acting. At first it felt a little bit cringe to me, but I couldn't point my finger at it. But then, few days ago my girlfriend set with me while I played and when she heard the narrator she started laughing. When I asked her what's so funny she told me that it sounds like the narrator is having sex, like she is talking to someone she is in the bed with. That observation totally ruined it for me lol
Posted By: Redwyrm Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 04:29 AM
Definitely a very good narrator.
Posted By: Newtinmpls Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 04:38 AM
Well.. there is a "Six" (if you have seen the recent version of Battlestar Galactica you will know what I mean) vibe... but it's not a bad thing.
Posted By: Emrikol Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 04:55 AM
Reminds me of Cate Blanchett (Galadriel) in LoTR. I don't have a problem with it.
Posted By: Arideya Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 05:03 AM
I actually really like her, i think she has a very pleasant voice.
Posted By: zersus Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 05:05 AM
Love it. Love the narrator.
Huh... I mean... It's not the "Sexy Announcer" from Unreal Tournament or anything... I think she's fine personally, I never really gave it all that much thought other than to appreciate they went with a female and not another "wizened old man" which seems to be the default for D&D narrators.
Posted By: RKLimes Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 05:21 AM
I love it.
My $0.02
It's literally Malady from DoS 2, like it's the same voice actor.

She's got a great voice, wonderful tones....but it presents two problems for me:

1. It reallllllly makes it hard to argue against people saying this is DoS 3, rather than BG 3, since the primary voice you'll be hearing is an actual character from DoS 2. John Mayer, the original narrator from BG 2, is still alive and still working. It would have been a nice call back at least. It does lead a bit into my second problem with it....

2. Literally everyone has British accent in the game. Narrator, random goblin #46, Drow who've never seen the surface world before....and literally travelers from another plane of existence (Githyanki). Everywhere you look, everyone has a British accent. It makes the world feel smaller than it should.
Posted By: biomag Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 06:29 AM
Just because someone spoke in DOS2 isn't good enough of a reason for me not to have her narrate in BG3 - lets not turn the feedback into 'please purge anything - good or bad - that someone might associate with DOS' wink

She is great in her role as narrator and I could listen to her all day.

Posted By: BrianDavion Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 06:40 AM
besides gaming companies often have go to voice actors, Jennifer Hale for example provided voices in most of Bioware's games (including baulder's gate 1 and 2 BTW)
Posted By: LizNuzz Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 06:41 AM
I realized the voice has a very seductive tone to it, but it never bothered me tbh. The voice is not "clear" as in "sharp", so I'm pretty happy with it (since my ears get to hurt easily).
Posted By: Slapstick Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 06:43 AM
I love having an ASMR narrator. I'm always thrilled when she starts talking.
Posted By: Ascorius Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 06:47 AM
I like the narrator, but I would have preferred the narrator from BG2 because of nostalgia.
Posted By: Usako Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 07:02 AM
I love this narrator. Wish she'd do some audiobooks that I could listen to!
I mean, whenever I hear some of my bf's games, there's usually this "deep male voice" narrator, so having a nice female voice is quite refreshing imo.
Posted By: GunTheHuman Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 07:10 AM
I love the narrator (narratress?). She's got a good storytelling voice which is great for a D&D game and I dig her many different intonations for various situations.
Posted By: Gray Ghost Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 07:16 AM
I too really like the narrator. She's very easy to listen to, though there is definitely a sexy vibe, OP is right.
Posted By: Nyanko Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 07:18 AM
I always liked Malady's voice in DOS 2. She's got something special. I am glad she's back to narrate BG3.

She's got quite the sense of humor besides
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dagless Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by Isaac Springsong

She's got a great voice, wonderful tones....but it presents two problems for me:

1. It reallllllly makes it hard to argue against people saying this is DoS 3, rather than BG 3, since the primary voice you'll be hearing is an actual character from DoS 2. John Mayer, the original narrator from BG 2, is still alive and still working. It would have been a nice call back at least. It does lead a bit into my second problem with it....

2. Literally everyone has British accent in the game. Narrator, random goblin #46, Drow who've never seen the surface world before....and literally travelers from another plane of existence (Githyanki). Everywhere you look, everyone has a British accent. It makes the world feel smaller than it should.

Like every game with Nolan North is really an Uncharted game? If Malady shows up later and tells us it’s actually been her talking to us all along then it’s a good point, although I think that’s highly unlikely. Otherwise it’s just a studio using some voice actors they worked with before and liked, same as everyone does. Like Bioware used Jenifer Hale for FemShep in Mass Effect after she was in original Baldur’s Gate.

British accents are a staple of sword and sorcery fantasy games, films and TV. I agree they could use more variety. On the other hand it can be a bit weird to associate recognizable accents with specific regions or races. like Orlesians in Dragon Age all sounding French and Nilfgaardians in the Witcher mainly sounding German.

Of course all dwarfs need to be Scottish, that’s just the law.
Posted By: Raflamir Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 07:38 AM
I don't find it annoying. I generally dislike narration so, if the voice isn't bothering me, well done.
Posted By: VincentNZ Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Zress
I am not sure I like the narrator voice acting. At first it felt a little bit cringe to me, but I couldn't point my finger at it. But then, few days ago my girlfriend set with me while I played and when she heard the narrator she started laughing. When I asked her what's so funny she told me that it sounds like the narrator is having sex, like she is talking to someone she is in the bed with. That observation totally ruined it for me lol

Thinking about it, your assessment can certainly be seen as sound logic. I think it can be seen as sexual or at least seductive and I think it is fitting when you think about the context. The voice appears when the larvae connect with you or with each other, which can absolutely be seen as a sexual or intimate act. So a soft female voice with added toughness or dominance is very accurate.
Originally Posted by Dagless

Like every game with Nolan North is really an Uncharted game? If Malady shows up later and tells us it’s actually been her talking to us all along then it’s a good point, although I think that’s highly unlikely. Otherwise it’s just a studio using some voice actors they worked with before and liked, same as everyone does. Like Bioware used Jenifer Hale for FemShep in Mass Effect after she was in original Baldur’s Gate.

British accents are a staple of sword and sorcery fantasy games, films and TV. I agree they could use more variety. On the other hand it can be a bit weird to associate recognizable accents with specific regions or races. like Orlesians in Dragon Age all sounding French and Nilfgaardians in the Witcher mainly sounding German.

Of course all dwarfs need to be Scottish, that’s just the law.

You'll notice I didn't just say it was Amelia Tyler.

I said it was Malady. Which is the point. It is literally Malady, not just the voice actor. They could have told her to use different tones, inflections, styles, etc. Nope, just had use the exact same voice. Which is a travesty, I mean look at the example you used in Jennifer Hale. Compare her work with Dynaheir compared to Mazzy. You can get completely different characters from the same voice actor.

If they want to make DoS 3, they are free to make it and I'd be happy to play it. Loved the first two. But this game is suffering from being made by people that just don't seem to want to pay homage to the Baldur's Gate games. Sound design, especially voice acting, plays a massive role in this. Having the Narrator be the exact same voice (not just the same voice actor but the exact same actual voice) as you hear in DoS 2 doesn't help differentiate this game into something from the Baldur's Gate series.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 09:34 AM
I like the narrator - possibly even more than the cheery DOS2 narrator. Still, I would like the option to mute narrator voice.
Posted By: ReaLMoisan Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 09:39 AM
Totally agree. They're not just using the same voice actor, but the same character (at least voice, inflection, general personality) as the DoS2 narrator; which doesn't really help differentiate BG3 from being DoS3.
Posted By: Raiyan Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 10:15 AM
I think an option to mute the narrator's voice is a sensible action for those who prefer it. Personally, I really enjoyed the narrator's voice and, as mentioned in one of the comments above, I think it really suits the plot with the tadpole trying to seduce you.

While I do very much enjoy the voice acting in the game, I have to agree with Isaac Springsong on the idea that every NPC has the same accent in a world where dozens of races live together. I wouldn't recommend re-recording lines just for the sake of making the actors do their best frenchman impersonation but, perhaps adding some new lines in the game to random NPCs, who merely have one-liners and no real dialogue choices to them, with varying accents and tones could introduce a bit more color into the world.
I thought she did a great job as Malady and I think she's doing a fantastic job here, there have even been times where I actually feel like I'm at the table. I don't understand what's cringe here?
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by GoblinEnthusiast
I thought she did a great job as Malady and I think she's doing a fantastic job here, there have even been times where I actually feel like I'm at the table. I don't understand what's cringe here at all?

I don't either.
Posted By: Khorvale Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 11:47 AM
Not a huge fan, she sounds like she thinks she's reading erotic literature or something, reminds me of watching those after-midnight specials on TV when I was a teen laugh

Edit: I feel like the narrator voice is supposed to be related to that "who do you dream of?" character you make at the end of character creation (since that's the char that shows up when you have the dream that gives you "tadpole powers"), is the narrator still female if you choose a male character there?
Posted By: Rita Book Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 11:59 AM
The narrator is amazing. They are a superb voice actor.
Posted By: Denzla Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 12:06 PM
I like the narrator, don't know what you guys are talking about.
Posted By: odesseiron81 Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 13/10/20 12:25 PM
I enjoy the narrator. I just think the line (abridged) "Symbol Glows, Power courses through you. Authority" etc. This line gets stale very fast. Consider adding more iterations of this line.
Like every game with Nolan North is really an Uncharted game?

Yes. Dragon Age? Uncharted, Everquest II? Uncharted. General Hospital? Uncharted.

There are 418 Uncharteds and counting. It is the largest game series in history.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mercury4711 Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 03:52 AM
I like her narration as well!
Posted By: Divine Star Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 03:58 AM
I like it to be honest. Never got the feeling that she was being seductive or too sensual.
I always imagine it's what the 'voice in your head' sounds like or this 'Absolute' person.
I like the narrator a lot!
Posted By: LoneSky Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 05:07 AM
The narrator is the best feature in BG3 so far. Well done. And about having sex... depends in which scene, so far was awesome every time.
Edit: I think her name is Alix Wilton Regan, if not then sounds very much like her (in Divinity: Original Sin she was the voice for The Weaver of Time)
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2542896/
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 05:23 AM
I thought that I was going to really miss Brian Bowles from DOS2, but after playing some of the game, I understand how his punchy, matter-of-fact cadence may feel a touch off in this world.
Hearing Malady speaking in soft, dulcet tones is somehow comforting because it's so familiar. Amelia Tyler is doing an excellent job.
Posted By: Zandilar Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 05:50 AM
Originally Posted by Panicintrinsica
Like every game with Nolan North is really an Uncharted game?

Yes. Dragon Age? Uncharted, Everquest II? Uncharted. General Hospital? Uncharted.

There are 418 Uncharteds and counting. It is the largest game series in history.

[Linked Image]

ROFL. smile This made my day!

Also, I can understand why some people have a problem with the narrator literally having the same voice as a character in another game. I personally kinda like it though, I'd sit and listen to her read the phone-book tbqh.

Z.
Posted By: LoneSky Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 05:58 AM
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
Amelia Tyler is doing an excellent job.

You are right, it's her
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1624306/
"Baldur's Gate III (Video Game) (filming)
Narrator"

Posted By: Lindon Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 06:26 AM
I generally think she's ok. I was expecting to hate the narration in this game but it's not bothering me really. Now that someone has mentioned she sounds like she's having sex though it'll probably ruin things for me.

The BG2 narrator was better though, and it would've been awesome if they brought him back.
Posted By: Skarpharald Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 10:26 AM
Love the narration. It adds a lot to the experience IMO. Works very well.
Posted By: Riandor Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 10:41 AM
Yep, totally fine with the Narrator, could be a little louder in the mix personally.
Might try with headphones to see if that makes a difference.
Posted By: Sharet Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 06:55 PM
I really like her voice!
Posted By: Khorvale Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Divine Star
I like it to be honest. Never got the feeling that she was being seductive or too sensual.
I always imagine it's what the 'voice in your head' sounds like or this 'Absolute' person.

That's certainly not how the voice in MY head sounds like. It sounds a lot more like...well, me laugh
Posted By: OneManArmy Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 07:11 PM
I like the narrator, she has a great voice and looks good in the game
Posted By: DrunkPunk Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 07:30 PM
I love the narrator. Having Malady whisper into my ear throughout the game is pretty fantastic. Amelia Tyler is such an excellent voice actor. To be honest, I was afraid the narrator couldn't possibly be as good as the one in Divinity but she has proven me wrong.
Posted By: Stabbey Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 07:31 PM
Does anyone else think it'd be great if she said "Roll initiative!", when battle starts?
Posted By: CamKitty Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 07:56 PM
Narrator is trying waaaaaay to hard to sound sexy while reading fantasy junk. It ACTUALLY made me cringe, and I think that word is normally over used
Posted By: Takamori Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 08:02 PM
Malady VA Amelia Tyler I love her voice!
Posted By: coredumped Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 08:04 PM
I definitely do not like the narration at all. Dislike the voice and the tone. Seems way too forced and unnatural.
Posted By: Slapstick Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Does anyone else think it'd be great if she said "Roll initiative!", when battle starts?

Hah! I'd love that! At the very least as an option laugh
Posted By: Orbax Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 08:05 PM
Missed opportunity to have Patrick Stewart or George Takei.

Anyone OG remember Patrick Stewart as the king in Westwood Studios classic game Lands of Lore?
Posted By: Druid_NPC Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 08:18 PM
I wanted Morgan Freeman as narrator.
But.... I *like* British accents! laugh laugh laugh

Posted By: tsundokugames Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 08:21 PM
The narrator is fine. It is the script and direction that are cringe.
In case you were all wondering, the Narrator's voice actor for Baldur's Gate 2 was John H. Mayer, who is still very much alive and still very much doing voice work -> https://english-voice-over.fandom.com/wiki/John_H._Mayer

So again, if they wanted to pay homage to the games that BG 3 is supposed to be based upon, they had ample opportunity to use the same narrator to help set the tone of the game. Instead we get the exact same sound as a prominent DoS 2 character.
Posted By: Ramien Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 09:00 PM
In case you were all wondering, the Narrator's voice actor for Baldur's Gate 2 was John H. Mayer, who is still very much alive and still very much doing voice work -> https://english-voice-over.fandom.com/wiki/John_H._Mayer

So again, if they wanted to pay homage to the games that BG 3 is supposed to be based upon, they had ample opportunity to use the same narrator to help set the tone of the game. Instead we get the exact same sound as a prominent DoS 2 character.

Honestly, the only thing I can remember about his voice is "You must gather your party before venturing forth."
Posted By: MarcoNeves Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 09:18 PM
No, you're right. Her voice volume seems considerably lower sometimes. That needs a bit of a fix.
Posted By: MarcoNeves Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 09:22 PM
I love the voice, but I don't understand the tone: why it's sultry and sexy.... It's a narration of events and your own thoughts. Shouldn't it be a bit more... subdued, or matter of fact? Instead of it sounding like there's a seductress in my head?
Posted By: Tipmoose Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 09:25 PM
I love the voice and the narration. Its one of the better aspects of the game.
Posted By: Demoulius Re: What do you think of the narrator? - 14/10/20 10:14 PM
I like her voice but it does kind of remind me of Divinity abit.
© Larian Studios forums