Larian Studios

So I've been playing around with a lot of different builds and my Wood Elf Warlock is a fantastic pickpocket.

He only has 14 Charisma until level 4 (where he'll get a bump to 16), but with the Friends spell he has advantage on Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion checks you need to make after someone realizes items are being stolen in order to maintain your innocence.

He gets the following skills:

Charlatan Origin: Deception and Sleight of Hand.

Wood Elf Race: Perception and Stealth.

Warlock Skill Choices: Intimidation and Investigation (The best INT Skill to take).

Beguiling Influence (Level 2 Warlock Choice): Persuasion (Would also get Deception Here, but there isn't a better origin than Charlatan currently for this build).

So he can pick locks, and find and disarm traps using Thieves Tools and Trap Disarm Tool Kits (though I'm not sure if this is a bug, and if he shouldn't be able to use these without proficiency in Thieves Tools).

And he can pick pockets.

NOTE: Shadowheart also helps here since she can cast Guidance before you hide and pick pockets in order to increase success rates for stealing. And again, you should also cast FRIENDS on your mark first so when they talk to you afterward you get advantage on any CHA based rolls to maintain your innocence. Always steal all their money first so if you have to bribe them on failed rolls it's pennies out of pocket from there.

Basically this is a "Super Thief", and more proof that Rogues need Expertise like with the 5e rules to improve their rolls a bit. Otherwise they can't keep up with the Warlock. I can fleece a hole town this way.

Interestingly, I had my initial Ranger pick 'Urban Hunter' for the proficiency with the thieves' tools. Then I could unlock stuff without needing Astarion around. It doesn't help with traps, of course, but I thought it was an interesting option. Wood Elf Ranger is stil angling for one of my favourites. laugh
© Larian Studios forums