Larian Studios
Posted By: Rubymosh Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 02:12 PM
I'm a mature female gamer and I find the romance interests in this game to be awful. I'm playing as a female ranger and my options are 1. a gay vampire, & 2. a soyboy magician with a girly British accent. Almost finished with the Druid's grove so I don't know how good Wyll will be yet. I usually play a male (cause I like to look at them!) and even there all I get are two vicious angry females with bad attitudes. Really, Larian, you can do better than this! Do you have something against women? Are you all so 'woke' you can't create a 'manly' man for us straight women to interact with? Or a nice female companion who doesn't have a chip on her shoulder? Not much difference between Shadowheart (dumb name) and Lae'zel that I can see. I sincerely wanted a cool guy like Ifan with a sexy, deep voice for a romance! I've played both the Divinity Original Sin games and a couple of the older Divinity games and hopefully, since this is early access, you'll add some better characters, both male and female. I can't believe most gamers are satisfied with this lame bunch.
Posted By: Moirnelithe Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 02:20 PM
As a fellow female player I can only say this:

Steam is that way -->
Posted By: pgmoro Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 02:27 PM
Well, everyone os entitled to their opinions, for me all companions are great so far.

1- Astarion os not gay.

2- In my opinion both Gale and Wyll are both too "manly" for my taste, but I might give Gale a chance.

3- Shadowherat and Lae'zel have no difference that you can see? They are pretty much opposites? Shadowherat is calm, manipulativa and keeps a low profile, while Lae'zel is extrmely in everyones face, doesn't care to play social games and just plain intimidades anyone and has a very short fuse. Just because you didn't like them doesn't mean they are the same or poorly writen.

I'm baffled how people can't take one single game with characters that are not 100% traditional stereotypes before they start complaining, even though good part of them are still 90% traditional stereotypes. I guess people just got too entitled too allways get this perfectly traditional character they want and feel Very Personaly attacked the one time they don't get exactly that.

Anyway, I'm very satisfied with the way characters are, even though they don't seem to be doing much effort to make "woke characters", which is good, and are doing an awesome job at doing believable characters who fit the setting and have complex and realistic personalities intead of Just being a dudebro or a oldschool Disney princess
Posted By: Azarielle Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 03:26 PM
Hmmm being a lady gamer myself your feelings are alltogether lost on me...

Astarion - a bit too much like Zevran but still quite entertaining
Gale and Wyll are both manly (maybe Wyll a bit more than Gale but still) and seem to have solid backstories
Shadowheart is actually a lot sweeter than she lets on, I suppose could have something to do with her memory wipe
Ok Lae'zel could go burn in the seven hells for all I care, but I can see how she could be someone's cup of tea

Surely none of them is the proverbial knight in the shinning armor, that you were obviously expecting, but I actually prefer it that way.

It would be also interesting to learn how you came to deduce Larian had something against women?

And if I may which PC game character is your reference for a well done romance?
Posted By: Renaire Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 03:31 PM
Lol, BG2 had that manly man(... to some degree), knight in shining armor, but we all know how that romance played out, hah.
Posted By: Sephirajo Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 03:34 PM
Using the words "soy boy" makes me doubt you may be a woman and if you are? You're hanging out in a pretty toxic crowd, hun. Expand those horizons. Maybe don't use old alt right buzz words a brit youtuber completely destroyed? XD
Posted By: Sharet Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 03:34 PM
I think no one here has anything against women just because there is not a manly-man companion nor a "maiden of the household" one, and I speak as someone who 9/10 times hate anything related to "SJW" or "wokeness".
I think that stereotypes are just boring and were well exploited by games of the '80s-2000 era. Even because I think both Gale and Wyl are quite masculine. One is a gallant wizard who could well play a role on one of my grandmas classic latino-fiction, the other is a charming, brawny man who plays hero and basically fucks a succubus.

Aside from this, if everyone starts to ask for a companion who represents "his/her type", the game is never going to be released.
Furthermore, at the start of the game you can even design the perfect example of "who you dream of at night"!
Posted By: Valzen Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by pgmoro
Well, everyone os entitled to their opinions, for me all companions are great so far.

1- Astarion os not gay.

2- In my opinion both Gale and Wyll are both too "manly" for my taste, but I might give Gale a chance.

3- Shadowherat and Lae'zel have no difference that you can see? They are pretty much opposites? Shadowherat is calm, manipulativa and keeps a low profile, while Lae'zel is extrmely in everyones face, doesn't care to play social games and just plain intimidades anyone and has a very short fuse. Just because you didn't like them doesn't mean they are the same or poorly writen.

I'm baffled how people can't take one single game with characters that are not 100% traditional stereotypes before they start complaining, even though good part of them are still 90% traditional stereotypes. I guess people just got too entitled too allways get this perfectly traditional character they want and feel Very Personaly attacked the one time they don't get exactly that.

Anyway, I'm very satisfied with the way characters are, even though they don't seem to be doing much effort to make "woke characters", which is good, and are doing an awesome job at doing believable characters who fit the setting and have complex and realistic personalities intead of Just being a dudebro or a oldschool Disney princess

I couldn't have said it better myself. I personally love that none of them are pure little perfect angels. The fact that they are so imperfect is what makes them more endearing as characters. I don't want a romance character where they agree with everything I say and look perfect. Plenty of other games do that and I got sick of it.
Posted By: Blade238 Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Azarielle

Gale and Wyll are both manly (maybe Wyll a bit more than Gale but still) and seem to have solid backstories
Shadowheart is actually a lot sweeter than she lets on, I suppose could have something to do with her memory wipe

Out of curiosity, do they let on a lot more in the EA? I brought Gale along to the end, but he does not in any way seem "manly", though he is fun to bring along and I enjoy having him in party. As for Wyll, I'm completely lost on that one, from what I've seen it's like a Peter Pan child stuck in an adults body. He's so childishly insufferable I couldn't bring myself to like him, so I don't know if he becomes manly if you bring him along a lot.

Shadowheart has a great opportunity to change as a character and open up more, but it's either bugged right now or horribly written with the whole, "don't talk to me, you're not the company I'd keep, etc." turning into a friendly discussion of "oh I like you, let's talk more" to "why are you talking to me" to "let's drink, spend all night talking and kiss" to "that'll never happen again".
Posted By: vometia Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Rubymosh
I'm a mature female gamer ... gay vampire, ... a soyboy magician with a girly British accent. ... I can't believe most gamers are satisfied with this lame bunch.

Hmm.
Posted By: Renaire Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 03:40 PM
@Blade238
How..exactly would you define 'manly'? Are you looking for the strong and silent type or ..?
Posted By: Synaryn Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 03:40 PM
Trolls belong in the Steam forums, thanks.
Posted By: Zorax Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Sharet
Furthermore, at the start of the game you can even design the perfect example of "who you dream of at night"!

I am waiting desperately for the Larian analysis tools to come out with the default "dream character" of the player base grin
Posted By: Thrythlind Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 03:48 PM
As a guy I can say this:

Astarion - just rubs me the wrong way....he's got that accent they give all the American "old money" types in movies and such... "dahling" just erk...also, the whole sneak up and drink from me while I sleep thing....was a bit creepy
Gale - He's got Wizard-itis, he also has Waterdhavian ponce fever, but he seems generally well-intentioned and has good ideals, he does that scholar-king manly thing. But he's a bit of a dunce socially speaking.
Wyll - He's nice, well-intentioned, but man he is soooo full of BS. He's hiding the whole warlock thing so far and even without that, he's a bit of Gale's full-of-himself in a different way.
Shadowheart - I actually like her... She acerbic, intelligent, but also is weirdly encouraging of things Shar wouldn't approve of. I've been told I have a type in fictional characters and Shadowheart falls in it.
Lae'zell - She may have heard of respect once, in passing?

I'm hoping we get more companions as we continue. Right now we have a Cleric, a Wizard, a Warlock, a Fighter, and a Rogue. I expect companions of the other classes being introduced somewhere along the line. If they plan to lock you at Act I then maybe we'll see them added in. (There's a tiefling lady who may be a good bard companion in the camp. There's Halsin who seems to offer to go with you. Both of them seem better.)

As characters, I like them. They're better designed than a lot of past D&D companions. Lae'zell, Astarion, and Shadowheart also represent good "bad guy" friends. They're certainly LEAGUES better than bloody Bishop from NWN2 or that creepy dwarf from NWN.

One thing I was irritated with was that the Tiefling Victory Party has them all seeming to want to jump your bones. Though I was pleasantly surprised that with Shadowheart spending the night with her is basically wine and conversation, plus one kiss as the sun is rising. As a note, Lae'zel's possessiveness "how dare you look to someone else" attitude didn't do her any favors. I may try out the scenes with Wyll or Gale later. Lae'zel amd Astarion....just sort of turn me off.

Posted By: Orbax Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 03:50 PM
If OP had worded this differently it would most likely be a different conversation regarding the lack of the inclusion of (and Ill just use the name here because if I said "them" we'd all know who I am talking about) Michael Fassbender a la Prometheus, Ryan Gosling a la Driver, Nick Offerman a la Parks and Rec, and Jon Hamm 24x7.

Deriding inclusion usually doesn't go down well.
Posted By: Blade238 Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Renaire
@Blade238
How..exactly would you define 'manly'? Are you looking for the strong and silent type or ..?

There's plenty of ways one can be "manly" I would think, there can be a strong and silent type, there can be a light-hearted jokester, or any spectrum, but there's a certain way to present it. Wyll comes off to me as naive, childish and [to me] like a grade schooler imagining himself as a fantasy hero would behave. Perhaps I'm being unfair to Gale though, he definitely has more mature moments to him and I can see him being more "manly" with additional character development.

I personally think Gale and Asterion are the two best companions in EA, with Shadowheart having the potential but being either bugged or needing some work to progression on it. I also really enjoyed how Gale's dialogue includes actions you've done in the EA and would be a good drinking buddy (there needs to be less "romance" emphasis and more bromance or buddy stuff this early in game)
Posted By: Goldberry Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 03:53 PM
Astarion not gay? I caught him flirting with Gale in my playthrough! grin

I guess bi then. Actually, everyone is bi.
Posted By: Sigi98 Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 03:56 PM
We're talking about a fantasy world in which exists magic and hundreds of different gods, planes, and even going to literal hell seems not that far from everyday life. And people are saying its unrealistic that everyone is bisexual......
Posted By: Valzen Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 04:03 PM
I think part of the issue of a lack of "fully manly" companions (Im fine with all of them) is that Larian wants each companion to have a deeply personal quest for the player character to solve that dogs them throughout the game. Having such baggage does kind of go against the trustworthy, steadfast, problem solving traits I personally see in manliness. By comparison, Halison, who has quite a bit less problems than gale and wyll, also to me seems much more manly than either.
Gale comes off as a confidence man who is more troubled than he would let on.
Wyll seems to have some imposter syndrome and questions if his deeds are a result of his own efforts.
Everyone has baggage they deal with, guys included, and for the sake of having a quest arc for each companion Larian has expanded that more in all of them.
Posted By: Hachina Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 04:05 PM
I think no one here has anything against women just because there is not a manly-man companion nor a "maiden of the household" one, and I speak as someone who 9/10 times hate anything related to "SJW" or "wokeness".
I think that stereotypes are just boring and were well exploited by games of the '80s-2000 era. Even because I think both Gale and Wyl are quite masculine. One is a gallant wizard who could well play a role on one of my grandmas classic latino-fiction, the other is a charming, brawny man who plays hero and basically fucks a succubus.

Aside from this, if everyone starts to ask for a companion who represents "his/her type", the game is never going to be released.

So Will got insane mystical power and in exchange , he must have sex with a demon woman that is specialized in it ? What a cruel fate for Will. Poor, poor Will.
Posted By: Frumpkis Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 04:07 PM
Rumor has it (and also unlocked game files) that there will be 4 more companions, so these may not be the only choices for romance.

I may avoid romance altogether in BG3 because it's handled so poorly in most games like this. It's usually a predictable arc from "You're really not my type" to a drawn-out melting phase if you choose just the right scripted dialog. And then you're suddenly in bed with them after passing some trigger. You can see it a mile away, it seems forced and not natural. Romance by the numbers.

I dunno, I'll wait to see what the other companions are like. Maybe one will interest me.
Posted By: Orbax Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 04:15 PM
[quote=Sigi98]We're talking about a fantasy world in which exists magic and hundreds of different gods, planes, and even going to literal hell seems not that far from everyday life. And people are saying its unrealistic that everyone is bisexual....../quote]

*adjusts glasses*

Well, being technical with how odds works, it would be unrealistic.

Side notes:
- There are also only 30 gods in the Forgotten Realms
- There aren't THAT many planes , especially if you exclude transitive, the never used "quasi-transitive" and Sigi - which, btw, I would rather DIE than pronounce SIG-il.
- The Hells are frequented by many across spheres and planes, but those are individuals who typically have the means to and want more power than they currently have - mages and the like. More often people beseech devils and summon them from where they are and make their bargains that way. This just happened to feel like it because a city that is about 1 day away from you just returned from it and its leaving some ripples.

:p
Posted By: robertthebard Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Zorax

I am waiting desperately for the Larian analysis tools to come out with the default "dream character" of the player base grin

Heh, mine are mostly female Drow, because that seems to be the default, and I'm lazy.
Posted By: GloriousZote Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Sigi98
We're talking about a fantasy world in which exists magic and hundreds of different gods, planes, and even going to literal hell seems not that far from everyday life. And people are saying its unrealistic that everyone is bisexual......

Those two things are.. completely different subjects, what does magic have to do ANYTHING with this?
Posted By: Orbax Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by GloriousZote

Those two things are.. completely different subjects, what does magic have to do ANYTHING with this?

Its the classic "Godzilla is out there destroying the city and me kicking you in the balls is all you can think of right now?! Priorities man, priorities, you're losing sight of the forest by looking at the trees!"
Posted By: GloriousZote Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 04:29 PM
That said, I find myself agreeing with OP, 3 of the current followers seem to be absolutely terrible people, leaving Wyll, who thinks he's some sort of superhero, and Gale, who's in love with a Goddess, and thus I've no time to try with.
Also, my character is male, and would prefer a female character.
Posted By: azarhal Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Zorax

I'm sure I'm not the only one who leaves it at default...just like all my characters are named Tav.

Posted By: Orbax Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 04:44 PM
That said, I find myself agreeing with OP, 3 of the current followers seem to be absolutely terrible people, leaving Wyll, who thinks he's some sort of superhero, and Gale, who's in love with a Goddess, and thus I've no time to try with.
Also, my character is male, and would prefer a female character.

It fits though. He was a noblemans son, useless, shipped off to the fist to grow some hair on chest, got in a fight and they ripped his eye out and he woke up in piss having shit himself from terror and asked a power for help to make him stronger so that would never happen again. Now that he has sold his soul to a devil for power to be able to fight for those who are as weak as he used to be he better take good use of it and feel like hes doing the right thing or that is a hefty price to pay.
Posted By: Thrythlind Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 05:02 PM
There's more than 30 gods in Toril....just a lot of them aren't listed in the 5e stuff because there are TONS of them. There is literally an entire sourcebook's worth of Forgotten Realms dieties.
Posted By: IdPreferNotTo Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Orbax
If OP had worded this differently it would most likely be a different conversation regarding the lack of the inclusion of (and Ill just use the name here because if I said "them" we'd all know who I am talking about) Michael Fassbender a la Prometheus, Ryan Gosling a la Driver, Nick Offerman a la Parks and Rec, and Jon Hamm 24x7.

Deriding inclusion usually doesn't go down well.

While, for obvious reasons, I'm in general in favor of not turning these discussions into communal mockery(don't think its going to happen though), the OPs wording, that's sprinkled with deriding right wing gender trolling terminology and thirsting after the look of a fictional war criminal responsible for setting of weapons of mass destruction on elves, makes me assume the exclusion of others (different subjects) is a central part of the inclusivity the OP seeks. It's the presences/inclusions they passionately object to, not the absences/exclusions.
Posted By: Sharet Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Hachina

So Will got insane mystical power and in exchange , he must have sex with a demon woman that is specialized in it ? What a cruel fate for Will. Poor, poor Will.

I know it right? xD
Posted By: Argonaut Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 05:34 PM
I don't like any of the companions or their romance options for two major reasons.

The first reason is that all of the companions felt to me that we where treading the same ground and rehashing the same tropes from Larians previous games. The old its not plagiarism if I word it differently meme. This is more predominant with some companions(I'm looking at you shadowheart) than others. It even feels like some Dragon Age was sprinkled in here and there and I'm genuinely disheartened that they didn't set out to write characters after making a list of common game companion tropes and removing them from the pool of ideas. There was no reason for them not to push forward in this department when they have dedicated writers and there are some notable figureheads in the modern high fantasy literature department that would have been abundantly happy to offer advise and expertise pro bono had they asked for it.

The second reason is that the companions are... off. I understand they are all being written so that they can be main characters but this not only makes them all feel inauthentic and artificial but also detracts from my experience with my own character just like it did in DivOS2. My MC feels lesser, like he is a side character and just along for the ride. I was not a fan of this mechanic in DivOS2 but it didn't bother me so much on account of it being Larians IP but this time it isn't and I don't feel it should have made a comeback. I am hesitant to actually dole out criticism for them individually as my reading on these forums so far has given me the impression that it will be met with hostility rather than earnest debate but when it comes to the romances I feel as though they are unnecessary and when coupled with sex scenes very tasteless.
Posted By: pgmoro Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Argonaut
I don't like any of the companions or their romance options for two major reasons.

The first reason is that all of the companions felt to me that we where treading the same ground and rehashing the same tropes from Larians previous games. The old its not plagiarism if I word it differently meme. This is more predominant with some companions(I'm looking at you shadowheart) than others. It even feels like some Dragon Age was sprinkled in here and there and I'm genuinely disheartened that they didn't set out to write characters after making a list of common game companion tropes and removing them from the pool of ideas. There was no reason for them not to push forward in this department when they have dedicated writers and there are some notable figureheads in the modern high fantasy literature department that would have been abundantly happy to offer advise and expertise pro bono had they asked for it.

The second reason is that the companions are... off. I understand they are all being written so that they can be main characters but this not only makes them all feel inauthentic and artificial but also detracts from my experience with my own character just like it did in DivOS2. My MC feels lesser, like he is a side character and just along for the ride. I was not a fan of this mechanic in DivOS2 but it didn't bother me so much on account of it being Larians IP but this time it isn't and I don't feel it should have made a comeback. I am hesitant to actually dole out criticism for them individually as my reading on these forums so far has given me the impression that it will be met with hostility rather than earnest debate but when it comes to the romances I feel as though they are unnecessary and when coupled with sex scenes very tasteless.

I feel exactly the opposite, companions being build like this makes them more realistic, everyone is the MC of their on lives, companions in most games are build as Just followers, here they are build as actual independent characters ready to Go their own way If need be. That doesn't make you MC Lesser, just more equal, which is exactly the feeling an adventurer should have on a DnD party.
And I'd argue that saying companions are like those on DOS is very much a stretch, for instance this post was started because someone was frustrantes because they didn't have a companion like those on DOS. And I also don't see that many similarities without doing that thing where you put so little datail in a description that any character ever fits it
Posted By: Saryle Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Sephirajo
Using the words "soy boy" makes me doubt you may be a woman and if you are? You're hanging out in a pretty toxic crowd, hun. Expand those horizons. Maybe don't use old alt right buzz words a brit youtuber completely destroyed? XD

Yeah, I'm also 99% sure OP isn't a woman, and just some steam teenager boy troll.
Posted By: Renaire Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 05:46 PM

Here i don't think that your problem is the companions being special as much as our 'custom character' being extra generic (and lovingly nicknamed Tav McBlanderson by some folk on a thread dedicated to this particular issue.)
The romances could for sure use some more content, because yes, rn, they feel too superficial and could hardly be called romances, but it's EA.... who knows what the romances are actually going to look like in the long run.

Posted By: Argonaut Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 06:02 PM

I feel exactly the opposite, companions being build like this makes them more realistic, everyone is the MC of their on lives, companions in most games are build as Just followers, here they are build as actual independent characters ready to Go their own way If need be.

I understand where you are coming from but them being the MC of their own lives does not mean they have to be the MC of the game. There are many ways to give companions agency outside of giving them the identical plot hook across the board and their realism is something that will be reflected by their overall design and actions throughout the game. This is the reason why I said it cheapens them because it feels shoehorned in unnecessarily. Would you find the companion realistic if they had the same plot hook and MC status but constantly acted in an unrealistic way or broke character? Similarly if they didn't break character and acted realistically and their quest revolved around their own goals and issues but they didn't have the MC checkbox ticked would you find them less believable?

That doesn't make you MC Lesser, just more equal, which is exactly the feeling an adventurer should have on a DnD party.

This is not a D&D party, and this is not a D&D game in the tabletop sense. That necessity for absolute equality in a tabletop setting is because there are other humans creating and controlling the characters. It is a single player videogame and a bunch of artificial companions suffering the same plot hook as my MC doesn't make them any more or less equal than me and it didn't affect my assessment of them in older BG games either. I never felt that Valygar was not my MC's equal because he wasn't a Bhaalspawn and the status of being a Bhaalspawn didn't affect my opinion of anyone else because it's not a personality and while it may influence their decisions it does not reflect their actions. This is in fact one of the bigger themes of the game. This is why I said it made my MC feel lesser and it made them all feel lesser because the game is boiling down the importance of in universe characters to a checkbox with MC labelled next to it. Think of this in reverse and what the implication is for everyone that doesn't have the MC plot hook. Are they now automatically less equal than the party members?

And I'd argue that saying companions are like those on DOS is very much a stretch, for instance this post was started because someone was frustrantes because they didn't have a companion like those on DOS. And I also don't see that many similarities without doing that thing where you put so little datail in a description that any character ever fits it

I didn't say the companions where like the DivOS companions, I said they where treading the same ground and same themes such as Shadowheart and Sebille. I'm not willing to go into detail as again so far my impression of this board has led me to believe that it will be a poor experience with little merit.
Posted By: WarBaby2 Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Goldberry
Astarion not gay? I caught him flirting with Gale in my playthrough! grin

I guess bi then. Actually, everyone is bi.

That's current year for ya... wink Although, it could also be because he's... you know... a sparkle sparkle. wink

On topic... even if probably tall, leather skinned and only killable with fire... I dunno. As far as evil-ish companions go, they are more or less fine. Could there be manlier guys? Sure! How about young, handsome dwarven Paladin, or a tall, dark and handsome barbarian? Some more variety, please... same goes for the girls. We are definitely missing a more homely, kind, shy girl and/or an ara ara, man eating "big sister"... preferably a ginger. laugh
Posted By: Sephirajo Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by vometia
I'm a mature female gamer ... gay vampire, ... a soyboy magician with a girly British accent. ... I can't believe most gamers are satisfied with this lame bunch.

Hmm.

Yeah this is pretty sus. Can we vote them off the ship? WAIT WRONG GAME
Posted By: GloriousZote Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 06:21 PM
If we could just stop derailing from the subject because of some politics and namecalling, that would be great.
Posted By: pfifferling Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 06:36 PM
As a Gay(tm), I have to say I am very very happy with the male romance choices. For once I feel spoiled for choice... and I'd hardly say Gale is 'girly'.
Posted By: Orbax Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Saryle

Yeah, I'm also 99% sure OP isn't a woman, and just some steam teenager boy troll.

Well, the good news is everyone here just has a normal conversation with it lol.
Posted By: ArmouredHedgehog Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 06:48 PM
If we could just stop derailing from the subject because of some politics and namecalling, that would be great.

Those days are past now. The OP did (intentionally or not) use some words that are likely to trigger a sizeable portion of the current RPG-player population. Some have expressed doubt as to the gender of the OP. I could point them to places where they could find many actual females expressing such views. It is an 'age' (maybe a word too big) of division and mental bubbles. The ability of the those subscribed to one of the mutually exclusive worldviews to even understand the opposite position is fading.
It will not end well... but even the best of endings rarely satisfy.

On Topic: Why not have some 'manly' (the word alone causes debate these days), men showing attributes traditionally associated with manliness? I don't really care. Having a few characters without serious psychological issues would be nice. I feel that these days many people confuse interesting with insane characters. The kind of hero adored and praised by the ancients would be considered boring and 'one dimensional' today. It's all a mirror for societies. I am not here to judge whether or not that is a good thing, I am merely pointing out an observation. Maybe the traditional hero type of character should also be represented? As far as I am concerned fewer characters and more resources spent on their interactions beats more companion choices.
Posted By: Sephirajo Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by ArmouredHedgehog

Those days are past now. The OP did (intentionally or not) use some words that are likely to trigger a sizeable portion of the current RPG-player population. Some have expressed doubt as to the gender of the OP. I could point them to places where they could find many actual females expressing such views. It is an 'age' (maybe a word too big) of division and mental bubbles. The ability of the those subscribed to one of the mutually exclusive worldviews to even understand the opposite position is fading.

On Topic: Why not have some 'manly' (the word alone causes debate these days), men showing attributes traditionally associated with manliness? I don't really care. Having a few characters without serious psychological issues would be nice. I feel that these days many people confuse interesting with insane characters. The kind of hero adored and praised by the ancients would be considered boring and 'one dimensional' today. It's all a mirror for societies. I am not here to judge whether or not that is a good thing, I am merely pointing out an observation. Maybe the traditional hero type of character should also be represented? As far as I am concerned fewer characters and more resources spent on their interactions beats more companion choices.

Okay dude, most women don't call themselves "females" and the ones who are on that side are suffering Stockholm syndrome and internalized crap and a half. It's not a good way to live, I've seen trying to live like that wreck people. Do some lean that way? Yeah, and they tend to get pushed forward as voices when they do because it's so damn rare.
Posted By: cushylife Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 06:57 PM
Not sure about the hate towards Astarion, but I actually made him my romance character as he was the only one approving of my decisions haha. I like the fact they made him a bit cheeky, posh, sarcastic and charming but I guess for some, these characteristics might come across as 'gay'.

Never had any romance lines with Shadowheart but as someone stated before, she seems bugged or maybe she has a split personality cause she can be sweet and start opening up to me, then she just lashes out at me to say she's just with me to find the cure.

Bug wise, Gale seems to be glitched as well with his camp conversations about his condition. He gets the exclamation mark that he wants to speak to me, just to tell me the same thing that he had already said (even to the progression of finding and GIVING him the artifacts).

Posted By: Orbax Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 06:57 PM

One of the best things you can do is have a normative NPC. Someone who will say "geez whats up with these guys am I right?" and share a beer with you. Later, when all of your things are gone and youre missing a pinky, and youre crawling out of the gutter not knowing what part of the city, HOPEfully its the same city, you are in you think back to all the things they said and wonder how you didn't put it all together. You probably did know it was coming, but by god, you wouldn't trade it for anything else in the world. The others are of course mildly disgusted that you could be taken in that easily by someone.

Basically they need a character that is Judy from Brooklyn 99
Posted By: Hachina Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 06:58 PM
Well it is strange that all the character are bisexual. In previous Baldurs gate game, all the character leaned toward one or the other gender , not both. I v already said this, but making everyone pansexual, everyone ready to fuck you at the camp party is totally unrealistic and kill a part of their identity. Its makes all the character the same, and make dialogue irrelevant.

Lae'zel : see me as a monster, wants to kill me
Gayle : Likes me
Will : neutral
Shadowhearth : Hate me, tell me to stop talking to her whenever she can.
Astarion : Charming and secretive, still tried to kill me and bite me.

Guess what? They all want to have sex with you at the camp party. Doesn't matter if you're a boy or a girl, doesn't matter if you got along with them or if they disapproved every single reaction beforehand. Everyone is open bar, free to get taken.

I enjoyed the long dialogues with Baldurs gate2 companions, and the fact that you had to give the good answers AND be the good gender AND do their quest right to have a chance to go with them. It made sense. You weren't the same person if you tried to date Viconia or if you wanted to be with Aerith.
Posted By: ArmouredHedgehog Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 07:05 PM
Shadowheart does behave a bit like a bipolar girl who is friends with a friend of mine. Quite a lot of push pull to her personality. I guess it is just some sort of consequence of religious brainwashing. Maybe it will make sense once we know more about her. For roleplaying reasons my mage cannot tolerate someone like that in his camp. Too much potential danger. As a romance option? Lae'zel is not coming from a society where such relationships are important, Shadowheart is untrustworthy, Wyll is attached to a Cambion and Gale is heartbroken about Mysta.
Posted By: Some_Twerp753 Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by pfifferling
As a Gay(tm), I have to say I am very very happy with the male romance choices. For once I feel spoiled for choice... and I'd hardly say Gale is 'girly'.

He likes cooking and comfort, so he's clearly effeminate gay. /sarcasm
Posted By: Argonaut Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 07:10 PM

Okay dude, most women don't call themselves "females" and the ones who are on that side are suffering Stockholm syndrome and internalized crap and a half. It's not a good way to live, I've seen trying to live like that wreck people. Do some lean that way? Yeah, and they tend to get pushed forward as voices when they do because it's so damn rare.

I in no way mean disrespect with what I am about to say but if you genuinely believe this then the best possible thing for you to have done was to ignore it so as to not detract from any potential discussion by burdening the thread with pursuing a witch hunt. If their motives are dishonest the worst possible thing to do is to reward it by giving it attention. Think of it in the same manner as if a child started to throw a fit because they don't want to wash their hands before dinner after playing in mud.
If you are concerned for their well being you could contact them much more directly via DM as if there is any chance of them opening up to you it would be in a private conversation rather than a public character execution.

Posted By: GloriousZote Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 07:13 PM
Well it is strange that all the character are bisexual. In previous Baldurs gate game, all the character leaned toward one or the other gender , not both. I v already said this, but making everyone pansexual, everyone ready to fuck you at the camp party is totally unrealistic and kill a part of their identity. Its makes all the character the same, and make dialogue irrelevant.

Guess what? They all want to have sex with you at the camp party. Doesn't matter if you're a boy or a girl, doesn't matter if you got along with them or if they disapproved every single reaction beforehand. Everyone is open bar, free to get taken.

I enjoyed the long dialogues with Baldurs gate2 companions, and the fact that you had to give the good answers AND be the good gender AND do their quest right to have a chance to go with them. It made sense. You weren't the same person if you tried to date Viconia or if you wanted to be with Aerith.

Shadowheart shouls also absolutely deny any gith no matter what, considering her view on these "flat-noses"
Posted By: Argonaut Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 07:28 PM

While I do agree with almost everything you have said I would just like to add something on to it if you don't mind.

The most jarring thing for me is that this desire for you does not produce any of the prevalent side effects you would expect from a real person. Then I realized that this is because there is no actual romance development as of yet in the game. As you said, everyone wants to jump your bones regardless of any other conditions. I don't really care about their sexual orientation as it doesn't bother me in the slightest as I grew up with a gay older brother(I'm straight if that helps) but it does bother me that you don't need to interact with them almost at all. It shattered whatever illusion I was holding until this point that we where creating a special bond or truly getting to know each other and finding that we are similar souls. I can sort of understand this if there is no intention of implementing any kind of happy ever after but that is a red flag for me in and off itself. It's another choice I am not being afforded by the game and runs contrary to every precedent set in the series, the source material, and the nature of RPGs.
Posted By: Frumpkis Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 07:30 PM

Having a few characters without serious psychological issues would be nice. I feel that these days many people confuse interesting with insane characters. The kind of hero adored and praised by the ancients would be considered boring and 'one dimensional' today..

I doubt it. Achilles was a major asshole, so was Odysseus. I doubt either one would fit into polite society today.

I do agree it would be nice to have a few companion choices without psychological problems, and maybe we'll get that with the remaining companions we haven't seen yet.

Also, I wouldn't put Lae'zel in the category of psychological problems. She's a non-human warrior from a heavily martial culture who considers everyone not from that culture to be inferior. A Spartan, basically. She only has "psychological problems" from an outsider perspective.
Posted By: Valzen Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Frumpkis

Having a few characters without serious psychological issues would be nice. I feel that these days many people confuse interesting with insane characters. The kind of hero adored and praised by the ancients would be considered boring and 'one dimensional' today..

I doubt it. Achilles was a major asshole, so was Odysseus. I doubt either one would fit into polite society today.

I do agree it would be nice to have a few companion choices without psychological problems, and maybe we'll get that with the remaining companions we haven't seen yet.

Also, I wouldn't put Lae'zel in the category of psychological problems. She's a non-human warrior from a heavily martial culture who considers everyone not from that culture to be inferior. A Spartan, basically. She only has "psychological problems" from an outsider perspective.

Lae'zel is actually probably the closest to the more 'ancient' depiction of heroes. Which certainly makes for an interesting, if abrasive, romance option.
Posted By: Orbax Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 08:03 PM
Wait, the discussion right now a camp saying everyone should be abrasive?
Posted By: ArmouredHedgehog Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 08:04 PM

Some option reveals that Lae'zel has quite intense self doubts. She fears that she is not good enough for her people

Aside from that: She is somehwat close to a Spartan, I agree.

One of the best things you can do is have a normative NPC. Someone who will say "geez whats up with these guys am I right?" and share a beer with you. Later, when all of your things are gone and youre missing a pinky, and youre crawling out of the gutter not knowing what part of the city, HOPEfully its the same city, you are in you think back to all the things they said and wonder how you didn't put it all together. You probably did know it was coming, but by god, you wouldn't trade it for anything else in the world. The others are of course mildly disgusted that you could be taken in that easily by someone.

So you want to add more statistically unlikely stuff by having the only 'normal' guy be the biggest traitor? Usually the people with issues and big secrets are the ones that are the most dangerous
Posted By: Iszaryn Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 08:39 PM
I like Shadowheart she seems to me at least a little submissive to my main character and I also want to say that she seems to approve of the decisions he makes. Well from what I've seen so far she seems to approve, out of all of the characters Shadowheart is my favorite so far.

I would like to see more options for both males and females than what we got.
Posted By: Orbax Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 08:42 PM

Some option reveals that Lae'zel has quite intense self doubts. She fears that she is not good enough for her people

Aside from that: She is somehwat close to a Spartan, I agree.

So you want to add more statistically unlikely stuff by having the only 'normal' guy be the biggest traitor? Usually the people with issues and big secrets are the ones that are the most dangerous

I think I am missing something...whats the statistics thing now?
Posted By: Tuco Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Iszaryn
I like Shadowheart she seems to me at least a little submissive to my main character.

I more or less like her as well, but as far as reasons to like her go, this has to be one of the creepiest one.

Then again you're at least being honest and that's probably the problem a lot of people here are having with these "terrible" companions.
Posted By: ArmouredHedgehog Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 08:54 PM

The party composition is exceedingly unlikely to occur as a result of the random sampling the mindflayers are shown to practice in the intro. Characters who appear to be somewhat normal are somewhat normal in most cases while those who appear to be very strange and are known to hide big secrets tend to be untrustworthy.
Posted By: Orbax Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 08:58 PM

The party composition is exceedingly unlikely to occur as a result of the random sampling the mindflayers are shown to practice in the intro. Characters who appear to be somewhat normal are somewhat normal in most cases while those who appear to be very strange and are known to hide big secrets tend to be untrustworthy.

Thats why its fun being a DM - you get to scar your players for life and make it so they never trust anything again.
Posted By: Synaryn Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 08:58 PM

Over the course of three playthroughs, I've had every companion except Astarion turn me down at the camp party. Shadowheart especially didn't even want to speak to me after murdering the tieflings and druids, and Wyll straight up left. No idea where you got that idea.
Posted By: GloriousZote Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 09:09 PM
The thing is these characters aren't just unlikeable, the three "unlikeable" characters are outright hated by me (not necessarily a bad thing, mind you), the mind flayer parasites are the only thing keeping me from killing them, Lae'zel is very unkind but at least useful, but then there's Shadowheart who is just rude for little reason and is pretty useless, and Astarion, who
outright freaking kills you if you don't tell him to stop drinking your blood
- that's not to mention that neither of the three seems to approve of general kindness, so far my favourite is Wyll, he's kind, but also has the ruthless side against goblins, or to get information he needs.

I'd say the two "well-done" characters so far are Wyll and Lae'zel, though Wyll being called the "Blade of Frontiers" with those stats is silly, as is Lae'zel being level 1..

Gale is too much of a snowflake, Shadowheart is just too antisocial and rude, and Astarion.. I mean... just no, would've actually killed him if he wasn't so useful in combat.

As for future companions? Well, the potential druid seems kind enough, as does the potential ranger, though I'm interested in more details about the ranger, hopefully not too goody two-shoes considering her situation..
Posted By: frequentic Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 09:22 PM

Shadowheart shouls also absolutely deny any gith no matter what, considering her view on these "flat-noses"

^ I think race-preferences are just important as gender preferences. I'd love for us to have straight, homo, bi, and asexual companions as well as racially biased ones. Alternatively, a lot of flexibility among many of them but a higher bar if you fall outside of the companion's preferences.
Posted By: Hachina Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Synaryn

Over the course of three playthroughs, I've had every companion except Astarion turn me down at the camp party. Shadowheart especially didn't even want to speak to me after murdering the tieflings and druids, and Wyll straight up left. No idea where you got that idea.

You're actually right. Fortunatly I had an old save . I talked to astarion first and accepted his offer. Then all other companions expressed their disappointement and jealousy, which made me think they all were fine with it. But if I reload and ask tem out, they refuse . That actually a problem with the dialogue you get once you accept either companion offer, which seems to always be the ''disappointement, jealous'' one. Hopefully this ll be fixed after EA.
Seems that you need to build sorta good relationship with them before bedding them. Still, I believe the first part of my point still hold. When all of the character are pansexual, they are less unique and less realistic IMHO.
Posted By: Merry Mayhem Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 09:52 PM
Astarion os not gay.

I am pretty sure he is bi, he'll bite anyone's neck.

OP, I am not impressed either, I'll probably just ignore the romances.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
Astarion os not gay.

I am pretty sure he is bi

I'm pretty sure it goes for everyone in the cast.
It seems to be the new standard.
Everyone must be pansexual otherwise someone in the audience will take it as a personal offense and a form of discrimination.
Posted By: Vile Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 10:04 PM

You're actually right. Fortunatly I had an old save . I talked to astarion first and accepted his offer. Then all other companions expressed their disappointement and jealousy, which made me think they all were fine with it. But if I reload and ask tem out, they refuse . That actually a problem with the dialogue you get once you accept either companion offer, which seems to always be the ''disappointement, jealous'' one. Hopefully this ll be fixed after EA.
Seems that you need to build sorta good relationship with them before bedding them. Still, I believe the first part of my point still hold. When all of the character are pansexual, they are less unique and less realistic IMHO.

In my playthrough I only had Lae'zel available as an option and it was exactly like you described, if I talk to them after accepting Lae'zel they all reference me having chosen someone and express jealousy, but if I ask then before accepting Lae'zel, they instead turn me down.
Posted By: Hachina Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by Vile

In my playthrough I only had Lae'zel available as an option and it was exactly like you described, if I talk to them after accepting Lae'zel they all reference me having chosen someone and express jealousy, but if I ask then before accepting Lae'zel, they instead turn me down.

Ah! good to see I'm not the only one. Its weird. There seems to be missing dialogue, atm.
Posted By: Hachina Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by Tuco
Astarion os not gay.

Everyone must be pansexual otherwise someone in the audience will take it as a personal offense and a form of discrimination.

I feel the same way about this. Especially will all the recent drama and cancel culture on theses topics, I can't help but think this is related.
Posted By: Orbax Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 10:16 PM
Astarion os not gay.

It didnt bother me in the Mass Effect series. I think what made it work was they all had personalities and youd go do stuff with them and have story lines. Ive never had a bae like Tali in any game. Vetra was my bae in Andromeda but Mrs. Normandy is my soulmate. Right now its "Hey, I saw you not letting a snake strangle a kid...wanna bang?"
Posted By: Saryle Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 10:18 PM

Well, the good news is everyone here just has a normal conversation with it lol.

Poor trolls, we always turn their posts in normal conversations lol

Originally Posted by Iszaryn
I like Shadowheart she seems to me at least a little submissive to my main character.

I more or less like her as well, but as far as reasons to like her go, this has to be one of the creepiest one.

Then again you're at least being honest and that's probably the problem a lot of people here are having with these "terrible" companions.

I just hope that english is not his native language and he meant to use a different word because it does sound super creepy.

On the topic, I'm pretty satisfied with romance choices personally. At least we have few guys now and not just one Annoymen (just no).
I wonder who my fellow female players find the most interesting for romance? And also did anyone romance Will? I have no idea how to trigger his romance and I have the highest approval.
Posted By: pfifferling Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 10:20 PM
I really don't see how the characters being 'playersexual' is detracting whatsoever from their character and somehow not making them unique. It's nice having your pick of the pie and not having to settle for the (usually poorly written or unappealing) shoehorned gay romance like it was in the past.
Posted By: Saryle Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 10:25 PM

It didnt bother me in the Mass Effect series. I think what made it work was they all had personalities and youd go do stuff with them and have story lines. Ive never had a bae like Tali in any game. Vetra was my bae in Andromeda but Mrs. Normandy is my soulmate. Right now its "Hey, I saw you not letting a snake strangle a kid...wanna bang?"

Even though I don't like Dragon Age Inquisition I like how they made everyone having gender and race preferences. It felt realistic. When everyone is bi, romance usually feels weird for the same gender, because they always make romance for opposite gender in mind.
Posted By: Thrythlind Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 10:31 PM
Shadowheart does behave a bit like a bipolar girl who is friends with a friend of mine. Quite a lot of push pull to her personality. I guess it is just some sort of consequence of religious brainwashing. Maybe it will make sense once we know more about her. For roleplaying reasons my mage cannot tolerate someone like that in his camp. Too much potential danger. As a romance option? Lae'zel is not coming from a society where such relationships are important, Shadowheart is untrustworthy, Wyll is attached to a Cambion and Gale is heartbroken about Mysta.

Shar seems to have a thing for luring the evil-curious, co-dependent, and vulnerable sorts into her worship. Then there's the types that know precisely what sort of toxic evil she's capable of and go in with eyes wide open.
Posted By: Thrythlind Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 10:35 PM
Had a friend watching me play a bit and Shadowheart came on and said friend asked me "Is this the Kodachi of this game?"

I have a thing for characters that at least start out nominally on the "evil" side and getting a redemption arc. So...well, my friend pegged me right away.
Posted By: Orbax Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 10:37 PM

Even though I don't like Dragon Age Inquisition I like how they made everyone having gender and race preferences. It felt realistic. When everyone is bi, romance usually feels weird for the same gender, because they always make romance for opposite gender in mind.

I think the other part of it was you were more of the pursuer. People you're not interested in making it clear they want a piece of you is like "uh, heh, alright thanks for the compliment...im gonna go over here now..." Its creepy regardless of your sexuality. ME andromeda made it even easier by putting the <3 by the "lets get freaky and busy, in that order" option. Persona 5 also had the "lets go do something together" moments - where, if I am honest, as a DM it would be pretty cool to have 2 person quests in the game for relationships. I think it should be a little more player driven right now beyond the # of boxes checked for an NPC to get hot and bothered near you.
Posted By: Orbax Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by Thrythlind
Had a friend watching me

So...well, my friend pegged me right away.

Kinky
Posted By: Saryle Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 10:44 PM

I think the other part of it was you were more of the pursuer. People you're not interested in making it clear they want a piece of you is like "uh, heh, alright thanks for the compliment...im gonna go over here now..." Its creepy regardless of your sexuality. ME andromeda made it even easier by putting the <3 by the "lets get freaky and busy, in that order" option. Persona 5 also had the "lets go do something together" moments - where, if I am honest, as a DM it would be pretty cool to have 2 person quests in the game for relationships. I think it should be a little more player driven right now beyond the # of boxes checked for an NPC to get hot and bothered near you.

I've wanted romance related quests in games for a long time! That's definitely a more interesting way to show and develope romance. That's why I'm actually glad we get sex scene early in the game. Usually sex is the end of romance and here I hope we can get a good development of romance after first act and maybe even some quests.
Posted By: Hachina Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by pfifferling
I really don't see how the characters being 'playersexual' is detracting whatsoever from their character and somehow not making them unique. It's nice having your pick of the pie and not having to settle for the (usually poorly written or unappealing) shoehorned gay romance like it was in the past.

People personnality is defined by their choice. If for all of them, their ideal partner is basically you, whatever your gender/race/class/background, and the only condition is getting along with you, this means that they basically all have the same outlook on a partner (except personnality) . In real life, people will choose you based on differents things, ranging from appearance to personnality,gender, job, age, social situation and what not.
Also, and this is another topic, While Ed greenwood stated that bisexuality was the norm in forgotten realm, I have yet to read that. because in all the Greenwood and Salvatore book I read, heros were almost universally straight, Elminster, Drizz't, Wulfgar, Artemis, and what not. And while some hero like Elminster have spent time transformed as the other gender and having straight sex from the other side. its not the same as ''being pansexual and having sex with whatever gender and race in Faerune''. Also, its seems that this tendancy is more shared by immortal divinity bored of their usual fun, and has become more regular since the 5th edition.

Please note that I'm not against a pansexual character. I could imagine a very curious, open minded and adaptable character that would like to experiment whatever he could. But all of them, I dunno, it feels so different of what I know of forgotten realm and how real life is.
Posted By: Saryle Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Thrythlind
Had a friend watching me play a bit and Shadowheart came on and said friend asked me "Is this the Kodachi of this game?"

I have a thing for characters that at least start out nominally on the "evil" side and getting a redemption arc. So...well, my friend pegged me right away.

I also have a thing for such characters. You're lucky because I think there is 99,9% chance that Shadowheart will get a redemption arc. And I'm just hoping that I can turn Astarion into a good boy (can I be so naive at least in a game haha)
Posted By: Okidoki Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 11:06 PM
All of you are missing one more love interest.

The softcore scene with the Domineering Minthara,

BEING EVIL HAS ITS MOMENTS
Posted By: Orbax Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by Okidoki

Shes why I made the thread Minthara and the Nature of Evil haha. Good cutscene.
Posted By: Okidoki Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 11:10 PM

Good to see you Orbax, and yes it was a good cut scene. Though i do have to also mention that being evil is not without its copious amount of bugs and 32+ unit battles
Posted By: Orbax Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 11:12 PM

Good to see you Orbax, and yes it was a good cut scene. Though i do have to also mention that being evil is not without its copious amount of bugs and 32+ unit battles

To quote American Psycho, this is how I felt after being in that relationship "I felt lethal, on the verge of frenzy. My nightly bloodlust overflowed into my days and I had to leave the city. My mask of sanity was a victim of impending slippage."
Posted By: FreshRevenge Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 11:25 PM
I was kind of disturbed with how fast that Astarion started to flirt with me(being as a guy). I mean it was like the first night camping and I told him that he was standing too close. GTFO dude we just met and you're all up in my grill. Lae'zel I can see having a romance with. Shadowheart well I thought she would be a romance option but the more and more I am around her, she is starting to irritate me. Just keeping her around for her healing abilities.

I wouldn't mind romancing the bard who sings the song in the druid cove.
Posted By: FatePeddler Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 11:26 PM
Astarion is my favourite character, so I don't agree with you OP.

For heterosexual males, I agree that Lae'zel and Shadowheart are not the best options. Lae'zel is slightly better though, Shadowheart is just a teenager...

Also, I like Gale's voice, watch British comedies if you want to know where his personality comes from :P. Gale makes me think of Simon Pegg.
Posted By: FatePeddler Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by FreshRevenge
I was kind of disturbed with how fast that Astarion started to flirt with me(being as a guy).

I'm a girl and I personally really liked how close I could get to him, I like how I can just take his bottle and take a sip of the terrible wine! XD
Posted By: Okidoki Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 11:31 PM
I was kind of disturbed with how fast that Astarion started to flirt with me(being as a guy). I mean it was like the first night camping and I told him that he was standing too close. GTFO dude we just met and you're all up in my grill. Lae'zel I can see having a romance with. Shadowheart well I thought she would be a romance option but the more and more I am around her, she is starting to irritate me. Just keeping her around for her healing abilities.

He is only wants you for your blood.

Lazel gets heated later "You could have had me!" She also goes on to yell at you RE: how she will basically pleasure herself tonight and you will never know the pleasure that could have been yours. (you get this conversation if you betray her in anyway, or if you choose someone over her during the evil line at least) It could also have to do with your rep with her, no idea yet.

Shadowheart is distant, her im thinking her time with her "sisters" has done something to her mind (being a follower of shar, losing her memories to the coven, you know evil cleric stuff)

Posted By: ArmouredHedgehog Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 11:34 PM

Alfira? She could be a bard companion. But she has no Tadpole so she has no good reason to leave her people and get into the path of danger.
Posted By: FreshRevenge Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 18/10/20 11:35 PM

He is only wants you for your blood.

Lazel gets heated later "You could have had me!" She also goes on to yell at you RE: how she will basically pleasure herself tonight and you will never know the pleasure that could have been yours. (you get this conversation if you betray her in anyway, or if you choose someone over her during the evil line at least) It could also have to do with your rep with her, no idea yet.

Shadowheart is distant, her im thinking her time with her "sisters" has done something to her mind (being a follower of shar, losing her memories to the coven, you know evil cleric stuff)

Yeah looks like I will be going to the water fountain to level up my Lae'zel brownie points to get her to have a good time in tent city tonight lol.
Posted By: Some_Twerp753 Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 12:36 AM
Astarion os not gay.

Playersexual is a term I've heard bandied about, and I like that one myself. I personally lump the lack of preference into the 'bears and male voices for girls/female voices for guys' thing. Some people will want it, most won't care (my camp), and most importantly: don't have to code gender checks, so you don't have to code as much, so less code to break, and less work!
Posted By: FatePeddler Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by Some_Twerp753
Astarion os not gay.

Playersexual is a term I've heard bandied about, and I like that one myself. I personally lump the lack of preference into the 'bears and male voices for girls/female voices for guys' thing. Some people will want it, most won't care (my camp), and most importantly: don't have to code gender checks, so you don't have to code as much, so less code to break, and less work!

From Astarion's backstory with his old master, he is definitely bisexual(not by choice imo).

Shadowheart is not a playersexual companion(she commented on me getting with Astarion, but she has no interest in a girl), and I like how there are characters who have their own preferences. It completely destroys character writing, if you write them to cater to political correctness.
Posted By: JDCrenton Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 12:40 AM
So you don't like your Highschool Sweetheart Shadowheart? Guess Larian thought most players were going to be underaged. Ironically in a M rated game.
Posted By: Orbax Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by FatePeddler

From Astarion's backstory with his old master, he is definitely bisexual(not by choice imo).

I think involuntary bi-sexuality is one of the more disturbing concepts ive heard
Posted By: Hachina Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 12:50 AM

Damn, I missed this one. Gotta redo a playthrough !

[quote=Tuco][quote=Merry Mayhem][quote=pgmoro]Astarion os not gay.

Shadowheart is not a playersexual companion(she commented on me getting with Astarion, but she has no interest in a girl), and I like how there are characters who have their own preferences. It completely destroys character writing, if you write them to cater to political correctness.

Oh, so only the male are playersexual, then? Did Lae'zel express interest?
Posted By: FatePeddler Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 12:54 AM

Lae'zel does express interest in being with a girl smile.
Posted By: Iszaryn Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 12:57 AM
I want to sacrifice Lae'zel to the illithids while I want Shadowheart to be my male pc's queen as we rule the world or destroy it
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 01:00 AM
Detect troll -- Wisdom: DC 3
Posted By: Argonaut Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit

Hey, trolls have levels too.
Posted By: azarhal Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 01:18 AM

Astarion flirts with both female and male party members via banter, seems to me he made his choice.

Shadowheart's party romance scene with kiss is available to both male and female PCs. She turns down every male party member's advances done via banter (Astarion and Wyll super fast, Gale takes a few exchanges) and her only female option is Lae'zel whom she hates, so that's a no-go for flirting. Last thing to check is if her "super attractive" person in the tadpole dreams switch gender based on the PC. I know it's male if you play a male character, but I don't know if it is still male if you play a female PC.

Note: there is a banter where she mentions that she's not into long term relationship.
Note 2: the only thing she remembers about herself is: like black orchids, can't swim and cleric of Shar on a secret mission.
Note 3: you can learn that she is supposed to get her memory back once she finish her mission and bring back the artifact to the Shar coven in Baldur's Gate. Act 2 is going to be wild with her I think...

Wyll comes off as bi-curious in a banter with Astarion.
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 01:19 AM

Hey, trolls have levels too.

I laughed. Yes, I always wondered what an application to work in a troll farm would look like. "Well I started out in Steam, parroting right wing phrases and the like then I leveled up to making people on youtube cry. Now, at level 10, I can slide past the mods at the New York Times and Washington Post while still enraging everyone."
Posted By: Synaryn Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by azarhal

Astarion flirts with both female and male party members via banter, seems to me he made his choice.

Shadowheart's party romance scene with kiss is available to both male and female PCs. She turns down every male party member's advances done via banter (Astarion and Wyll super fast, Gale takes a few exchanges) and her only female option is Lae'zel whom she hates, so that's a no-go for flirting. Last thing to check is if her "super attractive" person in the tadpole dreams switch gender based on the PC. I know it's male if you play a male character, but I don't know if it is still male if you play a female PC.

Note: there is a banter where she mentions that she's not into long term relationship.
Note 2: the only thing she remembers about herself is: like black orchids, can't swim and cleric of Shar on a secret mission.
Note 3: you can learn that she is supposed to get her memory back once she finish her mission and bring back the artifact to the Shar coven in Baldur's Gate. Act 2 is going to be wild with her I think...

Wyll comes off as bi-curious in a banter with Astarion.

I can confirm Shadowheart said her dream person was a male, as a female PC.
Posted By: JDCrenton Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 01:26 AM
Whenever i get criticized for writing bad characters i'll just claim they were brainwashed by some illuminati confirmed cult. Yep, that'll work.
Posted By: ArmouredHedgehog Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by JDCrenton
Whenever i get criticized for writing bad characters i'll just claim they were brainwashed by some illuminati confirmed cult. Yep, that'll work.

Better: Claim you were brainwashed by said cult
Posted By: Argonaut Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by JDCrenton

Don't forget to use this as rationale for why you treat everyone around you poorly.
Posted By: Saryle Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 02:13 AM

Lae'zel does express interest in being with a girl smile.

Laezel and Shadowheart can have a romance with woman. All companions are bisexual.
Posted By: RumRunner151 Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 02:27 AM
Laezel and Shadowheart can have a romance with woman. All companions are bisexual.

Yup
Posted By: kanisatha Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 02:34 AM
All companions being player-sexual means by extension that all companions are, within-game, bisexual. And everyone being bisexual is unrealistic and immersion-breaking.
Posted By: Orbax Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 02:37 AM
Originally Posted by kanisatha
All companions being player-sexual means by extension that all companions are, within-game, bisexual. And everyone being bisexual is unrealistic and immersion-breaking.

If you need realism or its immersion breaking for you, I have some bad news
Posted By: GloriousZote Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 02:49 AM

Tell me you didn't just use the fantasy setting as an excuse to not be realistic with things that have nothing to do with fantasy...
Besides, realism is still important, regardless, if you play a fantasy setting, I expect the magic in that setting to make sense in its context.
Posted By: Orbax Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 02:51 AM

Tell me you didn't just use the fantasy setting as an excuse to not be realistic with things that have nothing to do with fantasy...
Besides, realism is still important, regardless, if you play a fantasy setting, I expect the magic in that setting to make sense in its context.

Lets talk realism then. Larian studios is trying to reach a broad and diverse customer base and has 0 intention of enforcing sexual regulations on people in this day and age. Are you immersed again?
Posted By: voncastein Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 03:14 AM
I just want a nice good aligned female companion. I like plain vanilla
Posted By: Orbax Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 03:18 AM
Originally Posted by voncastein

Sit on a log together, sipping iced cormyr coffee and milks, your Grugg boots gently bumping against one another as she explains why astrology really HAS worked in her life and her future plans to open a hair styling salon.
Posted By: ArmouredHedgehog Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 03:21 AM

Lets talk realism then. Larian studios is trying to reach a broad and diverse customer base and has 0 intention of enforcing sexual regulations on people in this day and age. Are you immersed again?

I guess they are not aiming for a bestseller on the arab peninsula. Not a very big market for such games
Posted By: GloriousZote Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 03:22 AM

No, because not everyone irl is bi just out of fear of being cancelled by people finding their sexuality offensive.
Some people, believe it or not, are straight, or gay.
Preferences, they exist, you know...
Posted By: Orbax Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 03:25 AM

I guess they are not aiming for a bestseller on the arab peninsula. Not a very big market for such games

Yeah, having sex on a blood soaked altar to a mind controlling god bent on sacrifice and obedience to it with a subterranean creature (that you might be the same sex as) bent from the will of a demon queen while casting sorcery and witchcraft magic while a warlock who gets his powers from a devil, a vampire turned on from watching you get lashed by a naked man who worships a goddess of pain, and a cleric of a dark god look on might have some dogmatic conflict :p
Posted By: ArmouredHedgehog Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 03:25 AM
It is an easy way to prevent "I want to romance x but I can't" threads
Posted By: ArmouredHedgehog Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 03:30 AM

Keep you tongue in, I'm no Goblin with ringed toes
Posted By: Lady Avyna Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 03:30 AM
I'm starting to wonder if some of these threads are nothing more than trolls trying to get everyone riled up. I notice in these threads the OP never responds. Maybe because they are nothing more than trolls.
Posted By: ArmouredHedgehog Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 03:34 AM
Originally Posted by Lady Avyna
I'm starting to wonder if some of these threads are nothing more than trolls trying to get everyone riled up.

Statistically yes. It would be strange not to have trolls starting threads sometimes
Posted By: DistantStranger Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 03:56 AM
I'm starting to wonder if some of these threads are nothing more than trolls trying to get everyone riled up. I notice in these threads the OP never responds. Maybe because they are nothing more than trolls.

This is for Feedback and Suggestions, not Thesis and Rebuttal. The OP made their point and moved on, what do you want them to do? Fight about it? Who the hell has the time to argue with people like Orbax. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from further commentary. Since I am already responding:

+1

All of the writing could be much improved but the NPCs and their interactions with the player are the least enjoyable.
Posted By: voncastein Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 04:20 AM
Originally Posted by voncastein

Sit on a log together, sipping iced cormyr coffee and milks, your Grugg boots gently bumping against one another as she explains why astrology really HAS worked in her life and her future plans to open a hair styling salon.

Well I said good aligned, I didnt say I woundnt ravage her.
Posted By: Lady Avyna Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 04:26 AM
Originally Posted by DistantStranger

This is for Feedback and Suggestions, not Thesis and Rebuttal. The OP made their point and moved on, what do you want them to do? Fight about it? Who the hell has the time to argue with people like Orbax. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from further commentary. Since I am already responding:

+1

All of the writing could be much improved but the NPCs and their interactions with the player are the least enjoyable.

I also notice that people use the Feedback & Suggestion forum interchangeably with the General forum. It's not about fighting with someone about what we have to say but some of these forums can get a little aggressive. As for her points, that her biased opinion. I've seen quite a lot of people make threads to the developers and trying to force what they want in the game and when others come in to disagree, it's all about "If I don't get what I want then the game is trash" or "This is not DnD to me so fix it". Instead of giving good constructive criticism about the game or the mechanics of the game. For example, the game has a lot of glitches but instead on focusing on things like that, people want to nitpick the game for the smallest unimportant things.
Posted By: Zarna Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 05:46 AM
I'm a mature female gamer and I find the romance interests in this game to be awful. I'm playing as a female ranger and my options are 1. a gay vampire, & 2. a soyboy magician with a girly British accent. Almost finished with the Druid's grove so I don't know how good Wyll will be yet. I usually play a male (cause I like to look at them!) and even there all I get are two vicious angry females with bad attitudes. Really, Larian, you can do better than this! Do you have something against women? Are you all so 'woke' you can't create a 'manly' man for us straight women to interact with? Or a nice female companion who doesn't have a chip on her shoulder? Not much difference between Shadowheart (dumb name) and Lae'zel that I can see. I sincerely wanted a cool guy like Ifan with a sexy, deep voice for a romance! I've played both the Divinity Original Sin games and a couple of the older Divinity games and hopefully, since this is early access, you'll add some better characters, both male and female. I can't believe most gamers are satisfied with this lame bunch.

I am also a female gamer and I don't see what the issue is here. We will be getting more companions and I bet there will be good ones and neutralish good ones. Probably will be a couple "manly" (whatever the hell you mean by this) ones and a couple with "nice" attitudes, although having a bad attitude makes sense considering the tadpole situation. I play both male and female characters and depending on how I have created them is how they will react to the others. I don't play these games as if I am in the game having the romance, perhaps this is different to you?

Originally Posted by Valzen
I couldn't have said it better myself. I personally love that none of them are pure little perfect angels. The fact that they are so imperfect is what makes them more endearing as characters. I don't want a romance character where they agree with everything I say and look perfect. Plenty of other games do that and I got sick of it.

Agree 100%. No one is perfect and everyone will irritate you at some point in their life.

I feel exactly the opposite, companions being build like this makes them more realistic, everyone is the MC of their on lives, companions in most games are build as Just followers, here they are build as actual independent characters ready to Go their own way If need be. That doesn't make you MC Lesser, just more equal, which is exactly the feeling an adventurer should have on a DnD party...

It is nice to have other possible equals in a game. So sick of always being the "chosen one" or at least the one the story revolves around always.

Thats why its fun being a DM - you get to scar your players for life and make it so they never trust anything again.

Haha, my current DnD character is afraid of ever opening a chest again. :P As the player I am sad at all the potential loot lost.

I wonder who my fellow female players find the most interesting for romance? And also did anyone romance Will? I have no idea how to trigger his romance and I have the highest approval.

Depends on the character I am playing. Also have only had the Minthara scene, don't have approval enough in any other plays with the others.
Male Drow Warlock - got the Minthara scene, there is potential for manipulation there and he could betray her easily but for now she could be useful
Male Tiefling Fighter - High respect for Lae'zel, they are similar in personality and he may want things to go further
Female Half Drow Rogue - Doesn't care about that sort of thing. Gale is really interesting though.
Male Drow Ranger "Lolth Sworn" - Solo play so had only met Lae'zel on the ship. Possibly Karlach depending on how the story goes but he may have other things to worry about. :P
Haven't figured out good character concepts for Shadowheart or Astarion relationships yet and Wyll is either dead or bugged in most of my plays.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 08:11 AM
I'm amazed by the discussion as I've managed to anger every companion, except shadowheart.
Posted By: Sadurian Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by Zarna
Haha, my current DnD character is afraid of ever opening a chest again. :P As the player I am sad at all the potential loot lost.

That reminds me of a D&D meme piece I found funny:

Party go into a tavern and order drinks but stand about eyeing up the tables suspiciously. Barkeep asks what the problem is, and they explain that they have just been in a dungeon fighting mimics so are nervous. Barkeep replies that the tavern is a small rural low-income place and he'd love to be able to afford to hire mimics sometimes.

Barkeep laughs.
Party laughs.
Table laughs.
Posted By: Okidoki Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Originally Posted by Zarna

That reminds me of a D&D meme piece I found funny:

Party go into a tavern and order drinks but stand about eyeing up the tables suspiciously. Barkeep asks what the problem is, and they explain that they have just been in a dungeon fighting mimics so are nervous. Barkeep replies that the tavern is a small rural low-income place and he'd love to be able to afford to hire mimics sometimes.

Barkeep laughs.
Party laughs.
Table laughs.

we killed the table
Posted By: jo-x Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 08:45 AM

Im a straight man, around 30. I agree with this person that the romance part of the game was NOT a good experience for me. not only talking with the character feel rough and unpolished, the worst part of the experience came after saving the groove from the goblin (good path). For some reason ALL the character at the camp wanted a piece of my ass, even if it made No sens at all (i had lot of disapproval with some of them during dialogue and stuff). I'd recommend this : first, i am very okay with the idea that you are trying to create romance path for LGBTQ. but i would argue that there should be at one point in the game (option or at the beginning ? ) a way for people to decide if they want the romance experience from the point of view of a straight, or LGBTQ. everybody would feel better that way. Second, i'd say that "romance" is very poorly written. there is NO nuance, in how people approach you. And i hope your writer have plan to add more nuance to those characters because right now they feel too caricatural. and yes, to me the man character have very weak presence atm. i agree with her .
Posted By: Sadurian Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 08:47 AM
If you don't want a gay romance, don't romance a character of the same sex. They don't rape you.
Posted By: vometia Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 09:25 AM
I dunno, as a gay woman I also have to "deal with" the guys hitting on me and got a major "I am disappoint" from the vampire because I turned him down. Can't say it ruined my gaming experience particularly; on the contrary, I'm not really sure how I'd feel about a "sanitised" version. I'm reminded of DA2 where Anders hit on everyone and caused a lot of upset, which was kind of amusing in its own way. IMHO the only real problem with that is that he's, well, Anders. D:
Posted By: uglygirlnextdoor Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 09:29 AM
my version is always a young strong androgene sytle guy... lets say would be astarian younger. Etheral maybe?
Posted By: uglygirlnextdoor Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 09:30 AM
I romanced Anders too!!! I romanced Alistair as an elf on DA:O and I romance Solas on Inquisition, I have a finger for boys that will break my heart.
Posted By: Zandilar Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 09:59 AM

*adjusts glasses*

Side notes:
- There aren't THAT many planes , especially if you exclude transitive, the never used "quasi-transitive" and Sigi - which, btw, I would rather DIE than pronounce SIG-il.
- The Hells are frequented by many across spheres and planes, but those are individuals who typically have the means to and want more power than they currently have - mages and the like. More often people beseech devils and summon them from where they are and make their bargains that way. This just happened to feel like it because a city that is about 1 day away from you just returned from it and its leaving some ripples.

*pushes glasses up*

Well, according to the creator of the Realms (Ed Greenwood), bisexuality is far more common in the Realms than on Earth. But you'd have to be hanging around places like Candlekeep (forum) to know that, since it's never really stated in the text. Pretty much par for the course to be quite honest, because even with this being a thing for ages, we've hardly seen any queer characters in any of the text related to the Realms (rulebooks, modules, or novels).

There are way more than 30 gods in the Realms. There were three 2nd Edition "God books": Faiths and Avatars, Powers and Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities which fully explained and detailed all the Religions of the Realms. Several human pantheons, one pantheon for every race (with two for elves, because drow). I suspect you're quoting from dndbeyond.com, which says in the basic rules that there are "at least thirty deities" (italics for emphasis). Since 2nd Edition there's been far less coverage of deities of the Realms, and the lists provided aren't always complete.

As for Sigil. It is a word that means a sign or symbol usually associated with ritual magic. So, I pronounce it SIJ-il (English is my first language, and I'm Australian so keep accents in mind here). Sigil resides at the centre of the plane called the Concordant Opposition also known as the Outlands.

But you're right, visiting the planes is a very rare occurrence, usually limited to powerful adventurers/beings, and the occasional innocent bystander. (But if you really want to visit them, look for the Wild Goose Inn in Arabel, Cormyr. See also the World Serpent Inn.) Also, it should be mentioned that the entire city of Eltruel got sucked into the Hells recently in Realms history, the tieflings you meet in BG3 come from there, having escaped before that tradegy.

Z.
Posted By: Argonaut Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 11:11 AM
Reading through these replies people seem to be more content with arguing with each other based on credentials that mean absolutely nothing. It's common sense that you cannot please everyone at the same time but is this really the case in this instance? What would prevent Larian from including a 'sexuality' option in character creation which tailors companion sexuality to your preference? This way you would never have to interact with sexuality and advances that you are not interested in.

No one but inflammatory trolls want to see options removed. What people want is to not have sexuality that does not reflect them pushed in their face which does happen to a certain degree in the current state of the game. Just as a homosexual woman doesn't want the advances of men a straight man does not want the advances of other men and who you are should have no impact on whether you should have the liberty of not being sexually harassed in game.

I would also like to point out that it being high fantasy does not mean that it does not have to be realistic. There is such a thing as narrative cohesion which is considered of paramount important in fictional writing and I would suggest you research the subject and educate yourself as using this crux detracts from your argument even when it is absolutely correct.
Posted By: Sigi98 Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Zandilar

*adjusts glasses*

Side notes:

As for Sigil. It is a word that means a sign or symbol usually associated with ritual magic. So, I pronounce it SIJ-il (English is my first language, and I'm Australian so keep accents in mind here). Sigil resides at the centre of the plane called the Concordant Opposition also known as the Outlands.

I'm just gonna go ahead and end this unnecessary discussion about my name: its my nickname, related to my last name. has nothing to do with sigil or whatever. but please, argue about that rather than the point I made.

Reading through these replies people seem to be more content with arguing with each other based on credentials that mean absolutely nothing. It's common sense that you cannot please everyone at the same time but is this really the case in this instance? What would prevent Larian from including a 'sexuality' option in character creation which tailors companion sexuality to your preference? This way you would never have to interact with sexuality and advances that you are not interested in.

No one but inflammatory trolls want to see options removed. What people want is to not have sexuality that does not reflect them pushed in their face which does happen to a certain degree in the current state of the game. Just as a homosexual woman doesn't want the advances of men a straight man does not want the advances of other men and who you are should have no impact on whether you should have the liberty of not being sexually harassed in game.

I would also like to point out that it being high fantasy does not mean that it does not have to be realistic. There is such a thing as narrative cohesion which is considered of paramount important in fictional writing and I would suggest you research the subject and educate yourself as using this crux detracts from your argument even when it is absolutely correct.

and thanks for this, couldn't have said it better.
Posted By: mikerock Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 11:38 AM
For the most part i agree with the OP. That being said the characters that are in the game are OK. I do like the fact there they are different in some ways from stereotypical companions. However that being said, I would like a few more options of the more traditional adventuring types ala Eder from Pillars of Eternity. Characters that are traditional can also be just as fun if placed in a unique situation. We don't always have to re-invent the wheel with personality types that are so far removed from reality. Give us a few other options and I'll just leave the others in camp to stew on their own thoughts while me and the "go getters" run around the wilderness kicking ass and taking names.
Posted By: Zandilar Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 12:17 PM

I'm just gonna go ahead and end this unnecessary discussion about my name: its my nickname, related to my last name. has nothing to do with sigil or whatever. but please, argue about that rather than the point I made.

My apologies, I am sometimes a little obtuse. I didn't spot your user name until now. But I have to wonder if you read the rest of my post?

Z.
Posted By: Cowoline Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 12:22 PM
As a fellow mature female gamer I completely disagree with the OP. Wyll is a little too muhc with speaking in 3rd person, Gale is a LOT of bragging and Astarion is a mix between dubious and flirty. Shadowheart and Lae'zel both have a huge chip on tehir shoulders.

They are completely flawed - and I love that. We are only in the first act of the game and have truly seen very little. I think their character journeys are going to be very interesting.

They don't differ that much from the ones in DOS2 - or Dragon Age 2 - where the characters were complete messes in their own way.
Posted By: Zandilar Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 12:30 PM

Here: you're basically asking for a switch to be able to make us LGBTI+ people not exist in your game. Can you see why some of us might take offense at that idea?

Proud queer Z.

Posted By: Argonaut Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Zandilar

Here: you're basically asking for a switch to be able to make us LGBTI+ people not exist in your game. Can you see why some of us might take offense at that idea?

Proud queer Z.

You are asking for non LGBT people to be forced and subject to your sexual preferences in their own game, can you not see how this is sexual harassment? This option would not remove LGBT characters or content from the game but make sexual and romantic content of this nature not be pushed onto people that find it uncomfortable. Do you think a queer woman should be subject to advances from straight men? Do you not see how that would be sexual harassment?

Proud Straight with a gay older brother.
Posted By: vometia Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 12:46 PM
Do you think a queer woman should be subject to advances from straight men? Do you not see how that would be sexual harassment?

It isn't sexual harassment.

Proud Straight

I'm not sure that statement is really going to enhance the discussion, so maybe we should move away from the subject and get back to the quality of the romances or lack thereof.
Posted By: Argonaut Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 12:54 PM
Do you think a queer woman should be subject to advances from straight men? Do you not see how that would be sexual harassment?

It isn't sexual harassment.

You should speak with my HR department.

Proud Straight

I'm not sure that statement is really going to enhance the discussion, so maybe we should move away from the subject and get back to the quality of the romances or lack thereof.

I would appreciate it if you did not endorse prejudice against me for being straight. I am only asking for the ability to chose what I am subject to in the privacy of my home and my own game.
Posted By: Azarielle Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 12:54 PM
Ummm how is Shadowheart asking my female PC to have a drink with her sexual harrasment? Everything else really depends on the answer - which you control, so I really fail to see how the OPTION of romancing same sex character=harrasment

Have you never been hit on by same sex person IRL? Or someone you weren't even a bit interested in? It's the same here, you can simply say no and let other people enjoy whatever the hell they want.
Posted By: Sadurian Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 12:56 PM
For fucks sake!

Grow the fuck up people, and stop trying to derail a conversation by playing the victim.
Posted By: Argonaut Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Azarielle
Ummm how is Shadowheart asking my female PC to have a drink with her sexual harrasment? Everything else really depends on the answer - which you control, so I really fail to see how the OPTION of romancing same sex character=harrasment

Have you never been hit on by same sex person IRL? Or someone you weren't even a bit interested in? It's the same here, you can simply say no and let other people enjoy whatever the hell they want.

https://www.un.org/womenwatch/osagi/pdf/whatissh.pdf

That is how the EEOC defines sexual harassment. Draw your own conclusions.
Posted By: GloriousZote Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 12:59 PM
For fucks sake!

Grow the fuck up people, and stop trying to derail a conversation by playing the victim.

Seems to be a common thing over here, when you don't have an argument, point and scream "Steam troll" because someone has an ever-so-slightly rightwing view on something.
Posted By: vometia Re: Romance Interests are Awful! - 19/10/20 01:04 PM
I'm closing this for a bit as it's in danger of overheating. I may reopen it later.

Please don't attempt to continue the discussion in another topic. Thanks.
Posted By: Rubymosh Druid Companion - 19/02/21 04:03 PM
Why are all the classes either gay acting, high-voiced men or snotty, hard ass women? I am a long-time woman gamer (age 67) and I would like a deep voiced, handsome male as a romance companion. Are all the devs gay men who hate women?? And now the new class, Druid, is a woman!! I'm not gay and do not want a romance with another woman. What is wrong with you people? Why isn't there a sexy, male like Ifan Ben-Mezd for us straight women players? I've quit playing the game as I am disgusted with the companions!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: mrfuji3 Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 04:13 PM
...And now the new class, Druid, is a woman!! ...
Wait, we got information on the new druid (Origin? NPC?) companion ?!?!?? I thought only the Druid class was introduced...
Link?
Posted By: Nyloth Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 04:20 PM
First... This is a joke? And second... As I know straight women players love Astarion and Gale.
Posted By: Arne Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 04:24 PM
Well, I think the classical captain Kirk/hero archetype will come back. As will the typical damsel in distress waiting for some manly man to rescue her. The trope became boring after some time, so some people wanted to have something else. But now that got boring too, so they will return to the roots :P

For men, there is a lot like Witcher 3, with the manly Geralt and a lot of nice females. For women, it's admittedly a bit harder. Skyrim comes to my mind, but these romances are very limited. There are a lot of otome games, but many people don't like the ~manga style.
Posted By: Arne Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 04:30 PM
Why are all the classes either gay acting, high-voiced men or snotty, hard ass women? I am a long-time woman gamer (age 67) and I would like a deep voiced, handsome male as a romance companion. Are all the devs gay men who hate women?? And now the new class, Druid, is a woman!! I'm not gay and do not want a romance with another woman. What is wrong with you people? Why isn't there a sexy, male like Ifan Ben-Mezd for us straight women players? I've quit playing the game as I am disgusted with the companions!!!!!!!!!

Btw. wouldn't Halsim make a good romance option? I dimly remember some women asking for that.

[Linked Image from cdn.segmentnext.com]
Posted By: Dexai Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
...And now the new class, Druid, is a woman!! ...
Wait, we got information on the new druid (Origin? NPC?) companion ?!?!?? I thought only the Druid class was introduced...
Link?

I don't think there's anything official yet but if the dataminers are to be believed one of the companions is a
a halfling druid named Helia
that is also a
werewolf
Posted By: mrfuji3 Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Dexai
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Link?

I don't think there's anything official yet but if the dataminers are to be believed one of the companions is a
a halfling druid named Helia
that is also a
werewolf
Thanks!
Also, very good spoiler notation. A bit ruined by my quoting of your message, revealing the hidden text in the editor, but that's on me. Oops
Posted By: BeeBee Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 05:09 PM
Okay, my turn:

"As a mature cheese wheel lover who just got here a month ago I'd like to denounce the blatant Cheeseism of the developers. Are all the devs lactose intolerant vegans? What is wrong with you people? Apples are overrepresented in the game in many varieties, while cheese is significantly harder to come by. And now, instead of expanding the range of cheese recipes, they introduce the Goodberry, A FRUIT. Are you kidding me? I don't want to eat more vitamins! Why isn't there a proper grilled cheese sandwich for us cheese lovers? I've quit playing the game as I am disgusted with the food!!!!!!!!!"
Posted By: Dexai Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 05:17 PM
Goodberry *is* probably the most hated spell in DnD though, at least among DMs xD
Posted By: Sadurian Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 05:39 PM
Just watch how you go with this thread, folks.
Posted By: Dexai Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 05:47 PM
I understand Sadurian no more talk of Goodberries frown
Posted By: BeeBee Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 06:02 PM
Also, Ifan-smchzan, everyone knows that the Red Prince is the superior paramour. ***defiantly chomps down a goodberry-infused Waterdhavian cheese canapé**
Posted By: andreasrylander Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 06:25 PM
Not all companions are revealed yet smile
Posted By: Chaotic Good Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 06:35 PM

Oh my, am I really observing a worthy great True Woman? On an English forum as well?...

Lady, you are so right, you have my respect, I am a male, and I, as well, so much, understand your point, as it works exactly the same for straight normal males: I want a cute and beautiful woman companion, whom I want to protect and have a potential romance relationship with, but now who do we have - ugly wannabe dominant aggressive ugly gith fighter and rude arrogant aggressive cleric. But, what we can do, it becomes more and more politicized and twitter-mob-approval-seeking, only few games don't go this route nowadays, and this is sad. But, there are always good old games to re-play (for example, DOSII you mentioned). You have my respect, lady, and even if you are 67, you have a fiery young heart. Cheers.
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 07:02 PM
I understand Sadurian no more talk of Goodberries frown

lol

A hijack onto the topic of goodberries would be be the best thing that could happen here smile Until the panel, I actually didn't know that Life cleric + druid multiclass was so powerful and didn't think the berries would have much of a purpose in game without a hunger mechanic.

I'm going to try that class combo once Larian introduces multiclassing.
Posted By: Drath Malorn Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 07:17 PM
Do the Druid's Goodberries rot if you won't eat them immediately ?

I'm wondering if a Druid with a sense for business could set up a small stall in the Druid Grove, near Trader Dammon and Auntie Ethel, to sell Goodberry jam, Goodberry pies, etc. I think Gale is a good cook, so he could prepare those from the Goodberries.
Posted By: BeeBee Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn

I'm wondering if a Druid with a sense for business could set up a small stall in the Druid Grove, near Trader Dammon and Auntie Ethel, to sell Goodberry jam, Goodberry pies, etc. I think Gale is a good cook, so he could prepare those from the Goodberries.

That would be an excellent way to make some extra gold with the companions that you don't need in your party at the moment, instead of letting them lounge around at camp all day while the others do the hard work.
As long, of course, as the Goodberry jams and pies are balanced out with a proper cheese selection. Maybe befriend some druids, milk them in cow wildshape, etc.
Posted By: BeeBee Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 07:21 PM
Baldur's Gate 3: The Stardew Valley Expansion Pack
Posted By: Umbra Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 07:31 PM
OP: Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells.
(Almost) Everyone else: Goodberries!

I love you guys hahaha
Posted By: fylimar Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 07:44 PM
Plus one for the good berry jam selling. Could become a mini game for BeeBee other thread (mini games in camp)
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 07:49 PM
Many people allready menitoned that ultimate bisexuality and the fact that nobody cares about races in matter romances with companions seems odd. :-/
So ... +1, letds hope this will be changed slightly.
Posted By: BeeBee Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by fylimar
Plus one for the good berry jam selling. Could become a mini game for BeeBee other thread (mini games in camp)

Adding the goodberry jam making mini-game to that thread, you are right hehe
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 08:10 PM
We demand sexy and revealing jam making mini-games.
Posted By: BeeBee Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 08:15 PM

Hehe, that was a plot point of Don't Trust the B**ch in Apartment 23.

Posted By: Arne Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Chaotic Good

Oh my, am I really observing a worthy great True Woman? On an English forum as well?...

Lady, you are so right, you have my respect, I am a male, and I, as well, so much, understand your point, as it works exactly the same for straight normal males: I want a cute and beautiful woman companion, whom I want to protect and have a potential romance relationship with, but now who do we have - ugly wannabe dominant aggressive ugly gith fighter and rude arrogant aggressive cleric. But, what we can do, it becomes more and more politicized and twitter-mob-approval-seeking, only few games don't go this route nowadays, and this is sad. But, there are always good old games to re-play (for example, DOSII you mentioned). You have my respect, lady, and even if you are 67, you have a fiery young heart. Cheers.

Relax guys. It's just a fashion and it is already becoming boring. Just play Witcher and you'll find exactly the classic 'strong hero'/'damsel in distress' trope teenage girls are fond of.

In fact, I somewhere read some talk about including Minsc. But I don't remember whether it was datamining or just speculation. And that 'nightsong' character also looks quite nice, but she might be an enemy.
Posted By: Innateagle Re: Druid Companion - 19/02/21 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by Arne

Relax guys. It's just a fashion and it is already becoming boring. Just play Witcher and you'll find exactly the classic 'strong hero'/'damsel in distress' trope teenage girls are fond of.

In fact, I somewhere read some talk about including Minsc. But I don't remember whether it was datamining or just speculation. And that 'nightsong' character also looks quite nice, but she might be an enemy.

I never got where that comes from. The one damsel in distress i can think of in W2/3 is a dragon, and she gets saved by getting impaled on a tree.
Posted By: Anfindel Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 03:25 AM
Originally Posted by BeeBee

Hehe, that was a plot point of Don't Trust the B**ch in Apartment 23.

+1 for this.

And Jessica Jones would be an awesome fighter or barbarian !!
Posted By: Chaotic Good Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 05:25 AM
teenage girls are fond of.
Well, if you imply that teenage girls prefer normal straight men to bisexual genderless "men", than, there is hope for western women of nowadays. I am not from the west, so I don't really care, women I have contact with are normal. Also, what a compliment you just gave to this 67 years old lady, calling her a "teenage girl", good job. And, it is not always "strong hero/damsel in distress", damsel in not always can be in distress, and strength of a hero can be first and foremost in his honor and will, not only in muscles. What you want to say, probably, is "honorable strong-willed man/beautiful caring maiden" trope, normal straight people, both women and men, are fond of.

But hey, Larian very clearly stated that they don't like normal "generic boring" White males:
https://boundingintocomics.com/2020...r-creation-option-is-a-white-human-male/
https://www.pcmag.com/news/baldurs-gate-3-players-choices-generate-the-most-boring-guy-ever
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/10/b...or-their-basic-arse-character-creations/

And now think how it correlates with the original post by the lady, who wants "a sexy, male like Ifan Ben-Mezd for us straight women players". Indeed.

P.S. Witcher? I played it, full game, it is good, not really get why you try to use this game as an example, as there is 2 options to romance, Yenn and Triss, and none of them is "damsel in distress", but strong sorcerers, but to be fair, you do help them, especially Triss. Didn't like the arrogance of Yenn, so said no to her, and chose Triss. Got the best ending as well, and, in every DLC. Good game but no re-play value at all, in my opinion.
Posted By: vometia Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 07:54 AM
Well, if you imply that teenage girls prefer normal straight men to bisexual genderless "men"

Let's steer the conversation away from this sort of rhetoric, thanks.
Posted By: Drath Malorn Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 07:58 AM
Adding the goodberry jam making mini-game to that thread, you are right hehe

With all the cooking utensils that we find in the game, we could get new cookings options as we bring them back to camp. Not to mention the over-abundant food items.

Various companions could take turn preparing dinner in pairs. I'm all-in for Gale and a Druid PC, who could prepare a goodberry panna cotta. Gale could transmute the cheese into milk. Or we could simply ask the Druids if we can milk their cows.

That would be an excellent way to make some extra gold with the companions that you don't need in your party at the moment, instead of letting them lounge around at camp all day while the others do the hard work.
As long, of course, as the Goodberry jams and pies are balanced out with a proper cheese selection. Maybe befriend some druids, milk them in cow wildshape, etc.

Getting to that level of intimacy with the druids ... sounds like a different mini-game altogether. Then again, we can spend quality time with Abdirak (for players who are into this kind of quality time), so why not ?
Posted By: Drath Malorn Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 08:11 AM

We demand more sexy use of old forum memes !
Posted By: xnihil0zer0 Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 08:31 AM
Okay, my turn:

"As a mature cheese wheel lover who just got here a month ago I'd like to denounce the blatant Cheeseism of the developers. Are all the devs lactose intolerant vegans? What is wrong with you people? Apples are overrepresented in the game in many varieties, while cheese is significantly harder to come by. And now, instead of expanding the range of cheese recipes, they introduce the Goodberry, A FRUIT. Are you kidding me? I don't want to eat more vitamins! Why isn't there a proper grilled cheese sandwich for us cheese lovers? I've quit playing the game as I am disgusted with the food!!!!!!!!!"

You might not be looking hard enough. I think this game has way too much cheese, especially cheese with things like mushrooms and firewine. It's nearly limitless. I worry there's so much, the devs won't be able to remove enough of it. Though maybe I'll be surprised by patch 4.
Posted By: Drath Malorn Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by xnihil0zer0
[quote=BeeBee] I think this game has way too much cheese

Larian seems to love cheesy gameplay.

(Yeah, I'm sure somebody did that one someone, but I couldn't resist.)
Posted By: Arne Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 09:23 AM
teenage girls are fond of.
Well, if you imply that teenage girls prefer normal straight men to bisexual genderless "men", than, there is hope for western women of nowadays. I am not from the west, so I don't really care, women I have contact with are normal. Also, what a compliment you just gave to this 67 years old lady, calling her a "teenage girl", good job. And, it is not always "strong hero/damsel in distress", damsel in not always can be in distress, and strength of a hero can be first and foremost in his honor and will, not only in muscles. What you want to say, probably, is "honorable strong-willed man/beautiful caring maiden" trope, normal straight people, both women and men, are fond of.

The sexual preferences of women and men are completely clear. A book, movie or game that caters to them will be successful. If it doesn't, it will be unsuccessful. It's as simple as that.

Just take the muscle-bound, honorable heroes in World of Warcraft and the ridiculous 'female armor' which leaves everything exposed biggrin

P.S. Witcher? I played it, full game, it is good, not really get why you try to use this game as an example, as there is 2 options to romance, Yenn and Triss, and none of them is "damsel in distress", but strong sorcerers, but to be fair, you do help them, especially Triss. Didn't like the arrogance of Yenn, so said no to her, and chose Triss. Got the best ending as well, and, in every DLC. Good game but no re-play value at all, in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Innateagle
I never got where that comes from. The one damsel in distress i can think of in W2/3 is a dragon, and she gets saved by getting impaled on a tree.

Guys, you are literally *constantly* flirting with Triss. She acts like a child and looks like a model - not like someone who is living in the slums and being persecuted. The entire war/persecution story takes a backseat and is completely implausible - in one moment, you are sweeping Triss off her feet and kissing, in the next, you are beating up bad guys.

The entire trope of sorceresses/magic is so popular exactly because it allows writers & designers to depict cute and physically weak females that can still be 'powerful' and help you beat up bad guys.

And Geralt is the typical, classical female (and male) fantasy: A strong, muscle-bound, clever Hero, taciturn, loyal and honest to a fault.
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 10:00 AM

We demand more sexy use of old forum memes !

It's now step beyond old, it's become a classic. Kinda miss that thread, it was the trainwreck you just couldn't take your eyes away from.

@BeeBee that's hilarious! Kinda amazing to see how different that character was to Jessica Jones.
Posted By: Etruscan Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 10:14 AM

Oh this has made my forum-browsing day, thank you. Although I don't do in-game romances, I can't stand the current companions at all.

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Many people allready menitoned that ultimate bisexuality and the fact that nobody cares about races in matter romances with companions seems odd. :-/
So ... +1, letds hope this will be changed slightly.

I understand why Larian made everyone romanceable to everyone, regardless of race or sexuality, but I think it's a terrible idea. It's another coin in the immersion breaking jar.
Posted By: CJMPinger Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 11:04 AM
I do think we will get more uh masculine companions in the future. I am genuinely and whole-heartily hoping we can recruit non origin companions (that are not generic DOS:II Mercs) so we can get a real variety. They don't have to be as in depth as the origin ones but there would definitely be a possibility of some of them being stronger men types and some being "hunks" (and for those who prefer the opposite, more magical inclined females because I have seen that requested before). Essentially, I am hoping Larian gives us a varied and large cast to play around with so that most people are happy.
Posted By: Chaotic Good Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 11:21 AM
...that caters to them will be successful. If it doesn't, it will be unsuccessful. It's as simple as that.
Look at TLoU2, at what BG3 becomes, some other popular titles, to whom they are catering? Hmm? While factually (links above) commenting against White males. You know why only against them they dare make such statement, on the West. "It's as simple as that.".
It is indeed like you said, catering is needed for business, or, the product will be unsuccessful. Money talks. Some games now made not for gamers, but for "western twitter game-journalists".
Original post lady clearly sees it as well.

It would be good if we will be able to create our own party members, as I, as well, don't want to venture forth with any of the companions that are introduced for the moment. Can always go solo, though. More strategic and tactical thinking, hope they will add Lone-wolf mode like in DOSII.

She acts like a child and looks like a model - not like someone who is living in the slums and being persecuted.
The entire war/persecution story takes a backseat and is completely implausible - in one moment, you are sweeping Triss off her feet and kissing, in the next, you are beating up bad guys.
The entire trope of sorceresses/magic is so popular exactly because it allows writers & designers to depict cute and physically weak females that can still be 'powerful' and help you beat up bad guys.
And Geralt is the typical, classical female (and male) fantasy: A strong, muscle-bound, clever Hero, taciturn, loyal and honest to a fault.

You clearly didn't read the Witcher books.
Shortly, Sorcerers are the most powerful men and women (not only women, as you try to imply: "to depict cute and physically weak females") in that universe, there are many heroes of wars among them (including Triss, who actually uses illusion magic (and other treatment) to hide horrific scars from the war), they can choose how they look using magic ("looks like a model"). Yenn was a hunchback, if you did not know, she was blinded in war (her sight was later magically restored). You also clearly don't know anything about Witch hunts in this series.
"sweeping Triss off her feet and kissing" not because Geralt is ultra-chad, but because they have a very long relationship and story (in books), and in the game you have the opportunity to make them a couple, as well as with Yenn, with whom he is bound by Wish.
"And Geralt is the typical, classical female (and male) fantasy: A strong, muscle-bound, clever Hero, taciturn, loyal and honest to a fault." - not quite. Strong, yes, but a monster (mutated Witcher), not really muscle-bound, but agile and using special concoctions and techniques that were planted in his head by years of harsh Witcher trainings, clever only about how to kill monsters, taciturn as normal male, loyal and honest to a fault - hmm, where did you get this? Not really. Maybe only to Cirilla, basically, his daughter.
Posted By: Innateagle Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Innateagle

Guys, you are literally *constantly* flirting with Triss. She acts like a child and looks like a model - not like someone who is living in the slums and being persecuted. The entire war/persecution story takes a backseat and is completely implausible - in one moment, you are sweeping Triss off her feet and kissing, in the next, you are beating up bad guys.

Sorceresses in the witcher aren't 'powerful', they're a scheming and manipulative bunch without whom the 'strong hero' would have died in 50 different occations (even just in games).

Case in point, Triss' innocent act is mostly just that, an act, one she keeps up at all times. She's otherwise someone who had little to no problem taking advantage (sexually and otherwise) of the amnesiac strong hero (and indeed tries manipulating him again with the whole 'i'm so tipsy' thing).

And, again, the straight up nicest 'woman' in the games is the only one that gets straight up saved by a lonesome Geralt, and he does so by first fighting her to death and then impaling her on a tree.

Dunno, diminishing everything to mere tropes is easy, and might even yield a technically correct result, but i don't like it nor agree with it. Would certainly make it harder to enjoy stuff, highkey even BG3 itself xd
Posted By: Arne Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
I do think we will get more uh masculine companions in the future. I am genuinely and whole-heartily hoping we can recruit non origin companions (that are not generic DOS:II Mercs) so we can get a real variety. They don't have to be as in depth as the origin ones but there would definitely be a possibility of some of them being stronger men types and some being "hunks" (and for those who prefer the opposite, more magical inclined females because I have seen that requested before). Essentially, I am hoping Larian gives us a varied and large cast to play around with so that most people are happy.

As I said, I somewhere saw a model of Minsc and Nightsong. I think it was even on these forums or on GoG.

You clearly didn't read the Witcher books. [...]
"sweeping Triss off her feet and kissing" not because Geralt is ultra-chad, but because they have a very long relationship and story (in books), and in the game you have the opportunity to make them a couple, as well as with Yenn, with whom he is bound by Wish.

Chaotic, they are going to a *mask ball* to supposedly rescue a noble. Triss becomes *drunk* while they are on a life and death mission, they flirt and get tipsy. They even take their masks off, although they are supposed to be 'undercover'.

Let's simply agree that the games and the books are entirely different. Have you even seen Triss' so called "undercover" outfit? grin

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

...that caters to them will be successful. If it doesn't, it will be unsuccessful. It's as simple as that.
Look at TLoU2, at what BG3 becomes, some other popular titles, to whom they are catering? Hmm? While factually (links above) commenting against White males. You know why only against them they dare make such statement, on the West. "It's as simple as that.".

Ah, and what good did it do? The Last of Us 2 got review bombed, Life is Strange 2 failed completely. The designer of Vampire Bloodlines was maybe even fired because of something like this.

There is a simple rule for basically every single successful book, movie and game, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Pride and Prejudice, Romeo and Juliet - they are *always* the old, classical revenge and war stories, set in a completely ultra conservative world. Because that's simply what people like to read.
Posted By: Drath Malorn Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 12:59 PM
I hope we can improve our appreciation rating with Minsc if we feed Goodberries and cheese to Boo.
Posted By: Aishaddai Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 01:52 PM
I support OP's sentiment so +1 from me. A lot of derailing and shade being thrown so I don't know how far this topic will go.
Posted By: Chaotic Good Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 02:05 PM
Ah, and what good did it do? The Last of Us 2 got review bombed
Really? This is official 2020 Game of the Year... while Ghost of Tsushima, for example, is not.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...r-or-not-it-deserved-it/?sh=14c09ec22895
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IztpAim5...Last-of-Us-2-Metacritic-User-Reviews.jpg
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-last-of-us-part-ii
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/ghost-of-tsushima
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/god-of-war

Now TLoU2 has Metascore 93 (had 96 at some point) - from where? User Score 5.7 - clearly "adjusted" and not true, it was much much lower.

Ghost of Tsushima has Metascore 83(!!!) while User Score is 9.2(!!!), same as GOW (2018 GOTY), and it lost to TLoU2 garbage.

By real users it got honestly reviewed, but by "woke" game-jounalists and twitter it got praised. And, won GOTY. And what else developer who thinks about money and "good twitter publicity and reviews", but not players, need? Indeed.

And, it is quite disgusting how you try to just put some of the greatest stories with so many details, unique universes and characters to narrow "duh they are just old revenge and war" label, in mere disrespect... "set in a completely ultra conservative world"... To so disgustingly try to humiliate unique universes such as LoTR universe, which is absolutely unique (for its time) and free realm, that gave, for your information, base for Dungeons and Dragons universe BG3 is built on... disgusting.
TLoU2, by your logic is, as well, under the label of "revenge and war" story, but, seems like your argument shattered, and people didn't like it. But there is a great story, in the same universe - TLoU1, and it is indeed a great game, so your argument about "completely ultra conservative world" is shattered as well. Go read some books, before disrespecting the great.
Posted By: Sadurian Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 02:29 PM
Chaotic Good; you are currently skating on the thin ice of a final warning, as well as drawing unwelcome attention to yourself for your comments upthread.

If you wish to remain part of these forums, I suggest you dial back the aggression and offensive insinuations.
Posted By: CJMPinger Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 02:56 PM
To an earlier mention of Minsc, who is our big n strong but not bright, beloved ranger, doesn't he hate Vampires so would he hate Astarion and have a similar dynamic that Shadowheart and Laezel have where the two hate whatever makes the other happy?
Posted By: fylimar Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 03:05 PM
To an earlier mention of Minsc, who is our big n strong but not bright, beloved ranger, doesn't he hate Vampires so would he hate Astarion and have a similar dynamic that Shadowheart and Laezel have where the two hate whatever makes the other happy?

Maybe you will be forced to choose between Minsc and Astarion like you were forced to choose between Keldorn /Valygar and Viconia.

About the mentioned books: Lord of the rings was very progressive for its time and Tolkien singlehandedly made up many of the nowadays fantasy tropes. And Harry Potter and A Song of Ice and Fire are so much more than 'revenge and war stories'.

And yes for feeding goodberry pie to Boo for approval.
Posted By: CJMPinger Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 03:37 PM

Maybe you will be forced to choose between Minsc and Astarion like you were forced to choose between Keldorn /Valygar and Viconia.

About the mentioned books: Lord of the rings was very progressive for its time and Tolkien singlehandedly made up many of the nowadays fantasy tropes. And Harry Potter and A Song of Ice and Fire are so much more than 'revenge and war stories'.

Hmm, maybe, though I would like to finagle them both in the party, however tenuous. I didn't really like the fight to the death mechanic in the first BG BUT having some more noticeable conflicts could be interesting, especially if there were ways to navigate those conflicts with and without rolling AND they could reveal things about the characters. Laezel and Shadowheart should probably have a full on confrontation at some point, perhaps over the artifact Shadowheart possesses or how BS the creche idea actually is.
Posted By: Drath Malorn Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 03:48 PM

If I remember it correctly, in BG1 he had Gnolls as favoured enemy, and in BG2 he had Vampires. His reasons for that are long past, but he should still be quite unwelcoming of a Vampire in the party. If Astarion explains to Minsc that Vampire spawns are miniature Vampires not at all from the giant space, and thus not a danger, it may fly.
Posted By: CJMPinger Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 03:53 PM

If I remember it correctly, in BG1 he had Gnolls as favoured enemy, and in BG2 he had Vampires. His reasons for that are long past, but he should still be quite unwelcoming of a Vampire in the party. If Astarion explains to Minsc that Vampire spawns are miniature Vampires not at all from the giant space, and thus not a danger, it may fly.

Dumb half joke for them to be more friendly:
Astarion seemingly out of character treats Boo really really nicely because he is actually a nice guy who likes hamsters and the two bond and become best buds (In minsc's eyes. In reality astarion was debating eating the little guy as a snack but now hes stuck hugged by the big brute and having to play it off.)
Posted By: BeeBee Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 07:52 PM
Alright, let's put aside any insinuations of sexist undercurrents for a bit, decant some goodberry wine, share a slice of blue-veined cheese, pet our owlbears, hamsters, doggos and Abdiraks and take a deep breath.

It might be that the issue here is not one of taste, but of focus. Larian has released an EA full of rich, conflicted characters who do not fit any comfortable molds, much like their version of D&D and D&D mechanics is close to, but not exactly like what veteran players were expecting. They have also tried to replicate a situation where abducted strangers are forced to work together to survive, regardless of their personal motivations. And, most importantly, they have given the player the tools to explore and advance their relationship with their party members as they like (or not) --either through dialogue, cutscenes, mini-missions or their decisions during basic questing. This mirrors how the player can explore the land of Faerun and battle its foes; there are a million approaches, and you can even skip entire sections.

And, just like Act 1A is unfinished, the romance and relationship paths are not complete. We don't even have all the companions as of yet. And we don't know where they might lead, or even who these companions were before they were taken. Given the situation they are in, and knowing that all your friends can turn into a manipulating mindflayer at any time, wouldn't anyone be a bit off-putting, deffensive and paranoid? I know that I wouldn't want to get too attached, just in case, (Shadowheart) or that I would swing the other way and go all YOLO romping in the woods (Astarion). In the same way that you wouldn't expect a drow battalion to roll over and admit defeat as soon as you entered the Underdark, you shouldn't expect a person you met yesterday to trust you implicitly, particularly if you have the ability to mind-rape them or if they think that you might slaughter them if you suspect them of "changing" -- regardless of their / your gender.

So, in a way, BG3 is doing a pretty good job at presenting the player with a realistic scenario of what a group like this would be. And, in a way, gaining the trust of your companions is a quest in and of itself, albeit one that is going on in the background, a bit like the hidden ending of Silent Hill. Isn't trust that is gained instead of glibly given better than dev-dictated "niceness" for the sake of it? For a game like this, I very much prefer the route that Larian has chosen. It feels meatier and healthier.

On the other hand, I also love some good smexy fantasy time that is easy on the eyes and the mind -- but that's what VNs are for, chock-full of nice ladies, strong men and everything in between and ready to give me the snack that I want when I crave it. It's just that BG3 is not a VN.
Posted By: spectralhunter Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 08:10 PM

Can you make a pie? You only get 10 per day. And I always thought they were kinda small, you know like berries, otherwise they'd be a pain to carry around.
Posted By: fylimar Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by spectralhunter

Can you make a pie? You only get 10 per day. And I always thought they were kinda small, you know like berries, otherwise they'd be a pain to carry around.

But they would be big enough for Boo, I'm sure.

BeeBee :great post, I totally agree. But petting Abdirak might be painful...
Posted By: Arne Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 08:25 PM
And, it is quite disgusting how you try to just put some of the greatest stories with so many details, unique universes and characters to narrow "duh they are just old revenge and war" label, in mere disrespect... "set in a completely ultra conservative world"

You completely misunderstood my point. To note that the large majority of bestsellers share common elements is not 'disrespectful' at all. It's simply an observation, without any kind of judgement.

And you can be sure that I like Lord of the Rings & Pride and Prejudice. Precisely because Aragorn is a hunk and Galadriel is cute.

Really? This is official 2020 Game of the Year... while Ghost of Tsushima, for example, is not.

I'm pretty sure there are internal sales figures which precisely note how much more successful the game could have been if Joel was still alive. And I'm pretty sure the designers of Life is Strange 2 are sulking and blaming the players for their failure. As for Vampire Bloodlines, we'll have to wait and see.
Posted By: Dexai Re: Druid Companion - 20/02/21 11:58 PM
Ten berries is enough for one muffin!

edit: Maybe we've finally found the reason druids live in circles instead of hermit lives
Posted By: spectralhunter Re: Druid Companion - 21/02/21 12:07 AM
Ten berries is enough for one muffin!

edit: Maybe we've finally found the reason druids live in circles instead of hermit lives

Total random thought. I always thought goodberries looked and tasted like cranberries. No idea why.
Posted By: Dexai Re: Druid Companion - 21/02/21 02:43 AM
good, goose, crane, it's all the same thing
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: Druid Companion - 21/02/21 03:24 AM
Laughing. Actually I always imagined gooseberries because the grow wild but when you go berry picking you are lucky to comeback with more than a handful. That and I really like gooseberry jam.
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: Druid Companion - 21/02/21 04:26 AM

The original post wasn't enough to shut this down immediately? Jesus Christ.
Posted By: Niara Re: Druid Companion - 21/02/21 04:41 AM

My curiosity is...

Is Wyll not a handsome, moderately deep-voiced, heroically-inclined-but-with-a-dark-history, gallant man? Does he not count for some reason?
Posted By: spectralhunter Re: Druid Companion - 21/02/21 04:52 AM
Originally Posted by Niara

My curiosity is...

Is Wyll not a handsome, moderately deep-voiced, heroically-inclined-but-with-a-dark-history, gallant man? Does he not count for some reason?

It seems a lot of people see him as kind of a fake. All talk. No big action.
Posted By: Worm Re: Druid Companion - 21/02/21 05:02 AM
Originally Posted by Tzelanit

The original post wasn't enough to shut this down immediately? Jesus Christ.
Seriously. It's almost like people want the forums to be a hell hole.
Posted By: Chaotic Good Re: Druid Companion - 21/02/21 05:40 AM
Chaotic Good; you are currently skating on the thin ice of a final warning, as well as drawing unwelcome attention to yourself for your comments upthread.

If you wish to remain part of these forums, I suggest you dial back the aggression and offensive insinuations.
How so? Where did you see "aggression"? What "offensive" insinuations? Be more precise. So I would understand what exactly you mean, and wouldn't use such wording again on this forum.
And how it can be "final warning" if there was no "warning" at all. Interesting policy.

And you can be sure that I like Lord of the Rings ... because Aragorn is a hunk and Galadriel is cute.
Ahahah, alright then. I like the LotR universe for great and beautiful world-building, great characters and great story, but, you can like it for anything you like. Cheers.

Indeed.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Druid Companion - 21/02/21 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by Niara
Is he? O_o
He allways seemeed to me like bragging spoiled rich brat. :-/

And how it can be "final warning" if there was no "warning" at all. Interesting policy.
It seem to me you were warned at page 2, and then final warned at page 3 ...
Also i believe i have seen some warnings in other threats ... so maybe that is what they mean?
Posted By: DragonSnooz Re: Druid Companion - 21/02/21 08:01 AM
Gale comes across more like a used-car salesman than a heroically-inclined-but-with-a-dark-history gallant man.

I still don't know if he's telling the truth or pulling off the biggest grift in the Forgotten Realms.

On Wyll, he's always bragging about himself, like a pro baseball player.
Posted By: Arne Re: Druid Companion - 21/02/21 12:41 PM
And you can be sure that I like Lord of the Rings ... because Aragorn is a hunk and Galadriel is cute.
Ahahah, alright then. I like the LotR universe for great and beautiful world-building, great characters and great story, but, you can like it for anything you like. Cheers.

I would suggest to continue this discussion via PM/email. Then no one is listening in and we can be as offensive as we want wink
Posted By: Arne Re: Druid Companion - 21/02/21 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by DragonSnooz
Gale comes across more like a used-car salesman than a heroically-inclined-but-with-a-dark-history gallant man.

I still don't know if he's telling the truth or pulling off the biggest grift in the Forgotten Realms.

On Wyll, he's always bragging about himself, like a pro baseball player.

I thought Gale was the only one halfway acceptable.
Posted By: Niara Re: Druid Companion - 21/02/21 01:16 PM
I'm kind of with Arne on this score - In terms of males, I'd only really personally consider Gale as a long-term personal option (I'd probably indulge Wyll for a fling, maybe a FwB situation, but I wouldn't really consider him for anything long term. I'd tumble Astarion just for the experience of it, but it'd probably be a 'try-it-once' kind of deal). In terms of the females, they both rub me the wrong way on far too many points for me to ever consider sharing a bed with either them under more or less any circumstance. That's just me though, the player.... I tend to drop into the headspace of my characters when I play as them, and they each have quite varied and different tastes to me.
Posted By: fylimar Re: Druid Companion - 21/02/21 01:55 PM
I really like the Shadowheart romance, surprisingly, since I really didn't like her at first and she still sometimes annoys me.
Posted By: Sadurian Re: Druid Companion - 21/02/21 02:27 PM
Locked whilst under review.

Thread permanently locked.
© Larian Studios forums