Larian Studios
Posted By: Sigi98 Dealing 1 dmg with bow despite DEX mod. +3 - 20/10/20 02:29 PM
ok, so here is something that bothers me, and I sincerely hope that this is a bug.
How in all 9 hells do I deal 1 damage with a shortbow, even though it deals 1d6 + DEX mod. damage? If my DEX mod. is +3, then the minimum damage (if the enemy doesn't have resistance) should be 4. And yet, I keep dealing lower damage than that with my shortbow.
Has anyone experienced the same?
Posted By: Nezix Re: Dealing 1 dmg with bow despite DEX mod. +3 - 20/10/20 02:38 PM
Take a look at the combat log (you open it around the bottom left of the screen) and see what it says.
whatever you shot had piercing damage resistance. look in the log.
like I indicated: i checked the resistances, and it did not have piercing resistance.
Is your character proficient with a shortbow? That could help explain things..?

It'd help if you posted what the combat log says. I theorize that it will say "Damage Roll: 1", instead of "Damage Roll: 1 (1d6)" like it *should say. If so, it's probably a bug. I've encountered the same thing where attacking with a quarterstaff (1d6+str) damage just does 1 damage, and it doesn't look like a d6 was actually rolled...
Posted By: Orbax Re: Dealing 1 dmg with bow despite DEX mod. +3 - 20/10/20 03:45 PM
race / class
armor / weapons used
What were you you shooting / how far
I've had the same issue- it does it with Lae'zel I know for sure and at least a couple of my player characters.
Posted By: Orbax Re: Dealing 1 dmg with bow despite DEX mod. +3 - 20/10/20 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by BeNexus
I've had the same issue- it does it with Lae'zel I know for sure and at least a couple of my player characters.

You need to provide information for troubleshooting. Post screenshots of gear, loadout, enemies, what elevations, darkness, what was your %to hit chance, were you dipping weapons. Saying "sometimes I hit for too low" is useless.
Originally Posted by Orbax

You need to provide information for troubleshooting. Post screenshots of gear, loadout, enemies, what elevations, darkness, what was your %to hit chance, were you dipping weapons. Saying "sometimes I hit for too low" is useless.

We’ve all seen it.
He’s asking why it happened, you’re asking for a bunch of information about his to-hit chance, which as far as I understand about the game is irrelevant to damage.

If you don’t have information just don’t respond. You’re not trying to help, you’re just trying to out nerd him and no one cares.
Posted By: Orbax Re: Dealing 1 dmg with bow despite DEX mod. +3 - 20/10/20 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Stray952
Originally Posted by Orbax

We’ve all seen it.
He’s asking why it happened, you’re asking for a bunch of information about his to-hit chance, which as far as I understand about the game is irrelevant to damage.

If you don’t have information just don’t respond. You’re not trying to help, you’re just trying to out nerd him and no one cares.

Chill out kid. Just because you don't understand the purpose of the information doesn't mean its irrelevant. There are cases where this is a legitimate effect and merely saying "I only got 1, help please" isn't an actionable request. Describe the situation and the answer very easily may be "yes, that is what is supposed to happen, that isn't a bug".
With a Dex mod of +3, a roll of 1 damage would be 4, so a target with resistance would still take 2 damage minimum, no?

And any modifiers to their ability to hit would have zero impact on the damage following a successful hit.
Posted By: Orbax Re: Dealing 1 dmg with bow despite DEX mod. +3 - 20/10/20 06:29 PM
Easiest way to find out - hover over the combat log for your damage, it will show the exact calculation used. Reverse engineer it from there. If you can't figure it out, provide more details. If combat says (1d4) + Dex Mod (3) = 2+3 = 1 then yes, thats a bug. Its impossible to tell, otherwise, what the issue could be without additional information.
Posted By: Kimo Re: Dealing 1 dmg with bow despite DEX mod. +3 - 20/10/20 06:30 PM
Ok if you have a bow with Dex and HIT and a damage roll is made. If you are allowed to do damage in this case (not immune to non-magical weapons).

1 for roll + 3 for dex = 4 BASE

Applying the following 5e rules:

Damage resistance cuts in half = 2 damage

Bard cutting words = -d6 or more damage depending on level of Bard.

Heavy Armor Master (feat), it reduces the damage by 3. So you would get a 1 in that case.

There are racial and class effects which also reduce damage, but so far that class/race is not in play. (Half Orc) if reduced to 0 reduce to 1 instead. So if character would have died from taking more than 1, it takes 1 instead. Barbarian spirit shield (not currently in play)

This sounds like one of two possibilities; resistance is halving damage, or some other modifier/die roll is influencing this. I think the only one that might be that I've seen is ray of enfeeblement (which actually shoulden't, but that's an easy programming oversight). If you're actually getting damage rolls of 1 then this basically has to be what's happening.

I will note that it's possible you are seeing resistance reducing it from 4 to 2, as Imps (a super common enemy at the start) are resistant to piercing. It might be worded as "resistant to non-magical weapons" or something instead, although I think BG3 breaks it down by type...If we knew what you were fighting we could say something more here.

Oh, and to answer the question-I haven't seen miscalculated damage yet, no.
Or it may be resistance effect wich is currently applying to BASE, and bonus, rounded down, like rolling 1 + 3 => resistance (1/2) + (3/2) => rounded down to 0.5 (=0) + (1.5=1) => 1, something like that.

But yes there are some weird bahavior in calculations sometimes. It will be fixed eventually.
Originally Posted by FenrisC
Or it may be resistance effect wich is currently applying to BASE, and bonus, rounded down, like rolling 1 + 3 => resistance (1/2) + (3/2) => rounded down to 0.5 (=0) + (1.5=1) => 1, something like that.

But yes there are some weird bahavior in calculations sometimes. It will be fixed eventually.

Under the circumstances this seems to be a real possibility. It may just be a badly implemented formula.
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Is your character proficient with a shortbow? That could help explain things..?

It'd help if you posted what the combat log says. I theorize that it will say "Damage Roll: 1", instead of "Damage Roll: 1 (1d6)" like it *should say. If so, it's probably a bug. I've encountered the same thing where attacking with a quarterstaff (1d6+str) damage just does 1 damage, and it doesn't look like a d6 was actually rolled...

Profeciency doesent effect damage tho. Only to hit.

But if more people are seeing it I think its safe to say that theres an issue somewhere...
© Larian Studios forums