Larian Studios
Today the EA of Solasta - Crown of the Magister released. Based on SRD 5.1 (the Open Game License version of the DnD 5E ruleset), with a a lot of design decisions and a clean (if visually somewhat 'basic') UI that well translates the ruleset into a computer game. Overall I find it already more mature than BG3 in its current state. Worth taking a look, and possibly get inspired by.
I mean, there are surely areas where BG3 should improve, but I played the Solasta demo and I absolutely LOATHED their UI and movement system out of combat, for a start.

P.S. Still planning to buy that one too, by the way.
Originally Posted by Tuco
I mean, there are surely areas where BG3 should improve, but I played the Solasta demo and I absolutely LOATHED their UI and movement system out of combat, for a start.

Purely from an aesthetic point of view, I find Solasta's UI unappealing, but the layout itself I find great - easy to grasp, and much less cluttered + overwhelming than what we currently have in BG3.
Not sure what you mean with movement out of combat tho? Same as BG3...outside of combat it's realtime, and as soon as combat starts, you go turn-based.
If you give a look at my signature in this very forum, you'll see I have plenty of gripes with how BG3 manages movement out of combat. I absolutely despise the chain/auto-follow system and I miss no chance to stress it over and over.
That said, Solasta manages to do almost as bad with their bizarre "block movement" on a grid even outside of combat
What's worse about it, I think it's way more easy to turn the party controls in BG3 in something decent (just copy Pathfinder, BG2 or any other title in the genre) than salvaging what Solasta is using.

Back to the UI, the developers of Solasta are people coming from Amplitude and apparently the borrowed their philosophy in terms of interface: minimalist, barren, that looks more like some sort of external toolset rather than something organic to the game.
I'm definitely not a fan. It doesn't help their case that it's not even as "snappy" as the premise would suggest.

Last time I played was back during Kickstarter.

UI in Solasta seems distractingly plain - I had the same impression when trying Humankind recently. I also agree that movement was really awkward.

From trailers I liked all the dice and modifiers being shown at all times - I have doubt how informative they will be (they seem to zip by rather fast) but is like the concept. Unfortunately, my laptop refuses to turn on, so I am unlikely to give it a go for a while.
Originally Posted by Tuco

I did not play the demo, started playing the Solasta EA today and the movement and UI seems fine to me, no idea if they made any changes since the demo. You can see it's a indy studio so does not resources that Larian has but overall, I am liking the feel of Solasta.
I've just played 2 hours of Solasta and for me it proves that trusting the 5E rules has paid off massively. It works brilliantly. No surface nonsense to constantly manage!
I love Solastas UI. It is simple, intuitive, and functional. Not a fan of fancy buttons which take ages to read or find(I'm looking at you "sort inventory"). And I absolutly adore the visualisation of dice rolls.
About grid movement outside of combat. That because the whole game is basically a square grid. It may look less immersive, but it makes coding of pathfinding and targeting a lot easier. And we all know that in BG3 those are not even close to be finished.
About rules. I kinda made my peace with the fact that in BG3 5e was modified to the point where i barely recognize it. It's not bad on its own. Problem is that the little semblance of balance that existed in 5e, is gone. And now time that could be spent on ironing out bugs or adding new features, has to be spent on balancing the game from scratch.
Just downloaded it, gonna give it a go. I heard it released today and see what it's about.

Originally Posted by Wrathbone
I've just played 2 hours of Solasta and for me it proves that trusting the 5E rules has paid off massively. It works brilliantly. No surface nonsense to constantly manage!

You had me at no surfaces.

Exactly the impression I have.
Ohhh it's mature! darker and better.
Originally Posted by Abits

Ok, "mature" was a rather... strange word to use. It does take it's world and the rules more seriously, though, and that's something Larian could definitely take a page out ouf. You don't need to razzle dazzle your players with pretty lights to make a faithful D&D game...

Take a look at the Fextralife first impressions video for the game, and then look what people complain about around here: It's basically a point for point list of mistakes Larian made and Tactical Adventures didn't.
Originally Posted by WarBaby2

Ok, "mature" was a rather... strange word to use. It does take it's world and the rules more seriously, though, and that's something Larian could definitely take a page out ouf. You don't need to razzle dazzle your players with pretty lights to make a faithful D&D game...

Take a look at the Fextralife first impressions video for the game, and then look what people complain about around here: It's basically a point for point list of mistakes Larian made and Tactical Adventures didn't.

Ah, I was in no way comparing narrative or storytelling, that's a different topic for me altogether.
Here, I was really only referring to rules implementation, systems, UI etc., and in the sense that they have spent quite some time on those things for it to be in a more 'matured' state compared to what my impression of BG3's current iteration is. smile
Originally Posted by endolex

Ah, I was in no way comparing narrative or storytelling, that's a different topic for me altogether.
Here, I was really only referring to rules implementation, systems, UI etc., and in the sense that they have spent quite some time on those things for it to be in a more 'matured' state compared to what my impression of BG3's current iteration is. smile

I see, my bad. (Also) true. wink
I'm actually getting that 100% once it's completed.
I feel the same, I played for 5 hours now and I enjoy the combat that stick to DnD 5e without the crazy poison, ice, fire surface everywhere... ALSO! The longrest and shortrest is well implemented (you need party ration to long rest, and a safe space) There is so more thing i can boast about how well they stuck to DnD 5e CORE RULES. Of course being a 17 people company their game does not look as pretty as BG3.

P.S. I LOVE their character design (the rolling for stats, choosing starting equipment, writing your own backstory for "flavor") A true DnD experience. I hope they have more character customization in the future.

I also enjoy not having range disadvantage or advantage.... today on my 5'th playthrough of BGS, I was fighting those Mesphrit and two of them hop onto the rock that leaves no room for any of my char. All of them had disadvantage against those two (26%) to hit, and i spent the next 20 mins trying to hit those two Mesphrit... In SOLASTA we don't have any of that, hooray, and they have the full cover, half cover, 1/4 cover rules like DND. They have shove, disengage, dodge as an ACTION! HOORAY, so you don't need to stand there when you could not do anything else on your turn, like a fighter for instance)

I think a part of it is Tactical Adventures had nothing so why not use the rules that WotC gave them where Larian had all this stuff already working so fell into the temptation of using what they already had and tweak it to fit 5e. BG3 is prettier but SCotM feels more like a true tabletop 5e experience.

It will be interesting to see if Larian will be willing to embrace the 5e rules to make BG3 a better game though that would be a huge amount of work for them.

I really hope SCotM is successful and would love to see what Tactical Adventures could do if they had Larian's resources.

I plan to play both games, 2021 looking to be a good year.
Originally Posted by Madoric
I feel the same, I played for 5 hours now and I enjoy the combat that stick to DnD 5e without the crazy poison, ice, fire surface everywhere... ALSO! The longrest and shortrest is well implemented (you need party ration to long rest, and a safe space) There is so more thing i can boast about how well they stuck to DnD 5e CORE RULES. Of course being a 17 people company their game does not look as pretty as BG3.

P.S. I LOVE their character design (the rolling for stats, choosing starting equipment, writing your own backstory for "flavor") A true DnD experience. I hope they have more character customization in the future.

I also enjoy not having range disadvantage or advantage.... today on my 5'th playthrough of BGS, I was fighting those Mesphrit and two of them hop onto the rock that leaves no room for any of my char. All of them had disadvantage against those two (26%) to hit, and i spent the next 20 mins trying to hit those two Mesphrit... In SOLASTA we don't have any of that, hooray, and they have the full cover, half cover, 1/4 cover rules like DND. They have shove, disengage, dodge as an ACTION! HOORAY, so you don't need to stand there when you could not do anything else on your turn, like a fighter for instance)

I felt the same only playing a couple hours of Solasta. Playing Solasta with close to recreation of DnD 5e has been a breath of fresh air for what I've been playing in BG3. I still enjoy BG3 for what it's right now but it's not faithful to DND 5e rules.
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
I think a part of it is Tactical Adventures had nothing so why not use the rules that WotC gave them where Larian had all this stuff already working so fell into the temptation of using what they already had and tweak it to fit 5e. BG3 is prettier but SCotM feels more like a true tabletop 5e experience.

It will be interesting to see if Larian will be willing to embrace the 5e rules to make BG3 a better game though that would be a huge amount of work for them.

I really hope SCotM is successful and would love to see what Tactical Adventures could do if they had Larian's resources.

I hope nothing but the best for this company who is making Solasta. They did not hit their kickstarter goal to include the sorcerer in their AE (my favorite class). I can only imagine right now what they could of done if they had resources like Larian. Them sticking to the DnD 5e rule almost 1:1 has been amazing and fun to play! Also, them showing use the dice roll for everything above our character is a great idea! (you can choose to turn this off). No more getting frustrated with 95% to hit but missing. YOu can see what what you roll. Brownies points all around.

I hope nothing but the best for this company who is making Solasta. They did not hit their kickstarter goal to include the sorcerer in their AE (my favorite class). I can only imagine right now what they could of done if they had resources like Larian. Them sticking to the DnD 5e rule almost 1:1 has been amazing and fun to play! Also, them showing use the dice roll for everything above our character is a great idea! (you can choose to turn this off). No more getting frustrated with 95% to hit but missing. YOu can see what what you roll. Brownies points all around.

The sorcerer is being released as free DLC, other classes will be paid DLC if it sells well
Originally Posted by override367

The sorcerer is being released as free DLC, other classes will be paid DLC if it sells well

Exciting! I can't wait.
Although simpler, the engine runs smoother.

Loved the auto-jump feature and item interaction. Much better than BG3.

The visible dice rolls are exactly what I’d hoped for with BG3. Because it’s in Solasta, I really hope Larian won’t refuse to put that in just because they didn’t do it first.
Interesting game.

Good : lvl 6 included
Paladin in EA

Bad : party of 4 only
Not full dnd license (missing feats, classes, etc.)

Is it on steam only? I wish it were on GOG
Originally Posted by LukasPrism

The visible dice rolls are exactly what I’d hoped for with BG3. Because it’s in Solasta, I really hope Larian won’t refuse to put that in just because they didn’t do it first.

I hope so as well. I don't think Larian is a company that think like that (hopefully).

Yes, I also love that the die is being show to us for everything.
Looks like Swen definitely took note of the release smile

https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian/status/1318641976556855297?s=20

Nice. Maybe he can take some systems from them, especially the autojump during exploration.

It is impressive that a 17 people studio can implement day/night cycle and Larian with 350+ can't.
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
Nice. Maybe he can take some systems from them, especially the autojump during exploration.

It is impressive that a 17 people studio can implement day/night cycle and Larian with 350+ can't.

It's an engine issue... maybe Larian should have used Unity too. wink
Auto jump during exploration is a must.
Auto jump during exploration is a must.

Absolutely. Just clicking where you want to go is a joy compared to selecting each individual party member, clicking jump, then struggling to find an acceptable point for them to jump to, then moving them out of the way so your next party member can jump there, then discovering their jump distance is a few milimetres too short, then banging your head on the desk in dismay.
@Solasta

1 Euro on GMG 4 months after the full release. Calling it now.

They were able to have the swamp area transform visually. No reason they couldn't transform the rest of the map between day/night I think, even if their lighting system isn't dynamic enough to change in an instant
Originally Posted by denhonator

They were able to have the swamp area transform visually. No reason they couldn't transform the rest of the map between day/night I think, even if their lighting system isn't dynamic enough to change in an instant

True. I believe it's an issue of how the engine calculates the passage of time... not sure, though. Anywho, the change of scenere isn't the problem, it's the "dynamic" part is. Maybe they can implement a "wait" feature or something, at some point, so we can simply choose the time of day.
Solasta is a near perfect demonstration of how BG 3 should have been developed from the beginning.

Solasta started with the base rules, and figured out how to make them best work in their engine. Their top priority was clearly getting the mechanics to work, then building the world around that.

BG 3 was built by taking the engine *and rules* from another game, and doing the bare minimum to call it a D&D game.

If Solasta had nearly the team of Larian, it wouldn't even be close which game would be the true spiritual successor to the BG series. My gawd does Solasta need polish, better writing, etc. But the underlying mechanics are light years ahead of BG 3. So long as Solasta allows extensive modding and for creators to make their own campaigns, it has the true staying power that a more flashy, but less mechanically sound game, will end up having.
It would be a dream if BG3 had Solasta's system.

Larian should buy Tactical Adventures so they can do the gameplay for them.

I meaaaan it's not like Larian didn't just get something like a cash infusion of $40-50 million just from EA sales alone....
Originally Posted by Isaac Springsong

I meaaaan it's not like Larian didn't just get something like a cash infusion of $40-50 million just from EA sales alone....

Aw shtaaap you, you make me giggle like a schoolgril.
Tried Solasta 30 minutes. Then left it alone and came back to BG3. They cannot compare in terms of scale, dialogues, combat, everything basically. I don't see what the more mature comes from, but certainly not from the same definition I have of the word.
The majority of people who bought Bg3 don't really care about solasta. It's a simple fact. So I don't know for sure what Larian does better, but clearly they're doing something better
It is a better gameplay both in mechanics and optimization. Everything else BG3 is better.

Solasta EA also is way more polished, taking technologies aside.
Originally Posted by Nyanko
Tried Solasta 30 minutes. Then left it alone and came back to BG3. They cannot compare in terms of scale, dialogues, combat, everything basically. I don't see what the more mature comes from, but certainly not from the same definition I have of the word.

I have exact opposite feelings. Don't get me wrong I will gladly play both games after their respective release. But right now I enjoy Solasta a lot more. Yes, BG3 is graphically superior. But since I can't compare story right now (I havent advanced in Solasta enough) that is the only thing that BG3 is better at.
May be it is becose when I heard Sven say "We are making it based on DnD 5e" i was expecting DnD 5e. And in my opinion Larian changed it in too many ways, most of wich i can't justify.
Solasta -- hadn't even heard of it, but watching some videos... the UI looks horrendous, like a cyberpunk vibe UI in a fantasy game, no thanks.
The gameplay looks decent though.

Exactly how I feel so far. BG3 would benefit from following the 5e rules more closely, but I actually like the UI a lot and hope they don't change it too much. Only thing I would change is letting us select our party members, rather than having the odd chain link thing from DOS2.
Originally Posted by luciant
Solasta -- hadn't even heard of it, but watching some videos... the UI looks horrendous, like a cyberpunk vibe UI in a fantasy game, no thanks.

Yea, the UI isn't that great... I think the designers if that also worked on some of the "Endless" games, and it shows.
I must admit I don't understand the hate for the UI, unless it's changed a lot from early prototypes? I found it intuitive, useful and clear.
Looks like Swen definitely took note of the release smile

https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian/status/1318641976556855297?s=20

There room for two great D&D CRPGs so I hope both games go well. It's not like only one can succeed. I expect both companies are looking at each others works for ideas and stuff.
I must admit I don't understand the hate for the UI, unless it's changed a lot from early prototypes? I found it intuitive, useful and clear.

Yea, but it's too slick and modern for a fantasy RPG.
Originally Posted by luciant

Yea, the UI isn't that great... I think the designers if that also worked on some of the "Endless" games, and it shows.

IMHO the only thing not great about UI in Solasta is bland graphical style. Change some colors, add some textures - and it is perfect.
But for me the main aspect of the interface is functionality and convenience, and not pretty buttons. And in that regards BG3 interfase is not cuting it for me. It's just not comfortable to use.
Originally Posted by Isaac Springsong
Solasta is a near perfect demonstration of how BG 3 should have been developed from the beginning.

Solasta started with the base rules, and figured out how to make them best work in their engine. Their top priority was clearly getting the mechanics to work, then building the world around that.

BG 3 was built by taking the engine *and rules* from another game, and doing the bare minimum to call it a D&D game.

If Solasta had nearly the team of Larian, it wouldn't even be close which game would be the true spiritual successor to the BG series. My gawd does Solasta need polish, better writing, etc. But the underlying mechanics are light years ahead of BG 3. So long as Solasta allows extensive modding and for creators to make their own campaigns, it has the true staying power that a more flashy, but less mechanically sound game, will end up having.

I see all the issue you are seeing with SCotM but that because they are an indie studio and this is their first game. Look at the early Larian Studio stuff. I am willing to cut Tactical Adventures some lack for not giving me a AAA polished game when they do not have a AAA budget and resources.

I am more critical of Larian as they are a major studio now.
I hope the Larian devs go play Solasta and discover that D&D plays just fine without the changes they made to Disengage, Jump, Shove etc.

Yea, but it's too slick and modern for a fantasy RPG.

Fair enough - it would be nice if the buttons had nice wood or parchment textures, or something similar. Still, I'd take a bland, well-functioning UI over a pretty but useless UI any day!
Originally Posted by 1varangian
I hope the Larian devs go play Solasta and discover that D&D plays just fine without the changes they made to Disengage, Jump, Shove etc.

Looks like Svent is going to play it according to his recent Twitter post. laugh I hope Larian can take inspiration from Solasta.
Baldur's gate 3 obviously is nicer looking than Solasta, but the UI in Baldur's Gate 3 is horrific to actually use, the one in Solasta is very easy to use and a good deal more clear

And the combat is BETTER! In the first outpost mission we have 4 combats before a long rest, goblins don't need inflated hitpoints, they don't need to be given a 90% chance to hit our characters because of elevation - SOLASTA HAS COVER, THANK GOD - it copies the tabletop's cover system!

The fights feel a lot more weighty in Solasta than they do in BG3. The way they handle dice rolls popping over everyone's heads when they attack, and show us the dice and modifiers of the damage, before they merge together into a damage total - it's all wonderful

Graphically, the UI needs some redesign to match the setting, but functionally? It's much better

Let's look at casting a spell in the respective games: In BG3 I am going to need forty hotbars for a wizard by level 9, in Solasta, you click a spell, then click which level you want to cast it at.
Skill check: In BG3 I pick a lock and get a bar? no dc? In Solasta a dice pops cleanly over the character's head and tells me what I rolled, what my mods are, and if I succeeded
Advantage/Disadvantage? They copied the 5e rules, thank GOD! I have been tirelessly looking to see if I can modify BG3 to work this way, but have come up totally empty handed unfortunately.

It's not a "Better game", the story is not that great, the characters are... barely characters. It's more like Icewind Dale than Baldur's Gate, but BG3 has a LOT it could learn from it
Completely agree; Solasta has awesome implementation of the DnD 5th ruleset, and I surely hope a lot of that inspires Larian. I hope they do implement even more accurate 5e rules.
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Completely agree; Solasta has awesome implementation of the DnD 5th ruleset, and I surely hope a lot of that inspires Larian. I hope they do implement even more accurate 5e rules.

That'd be nice, actually: Let's make it a race of "who can create the more accurate and feature complete 5e adaption"! wink
On comparing the UI of both games.

SCotM UI is very very functional but needs to have the look polished which hopefully will be done at some point.

BG3 UI is barely usable but looks nice. It's going to take a lot of work to make BG3 really great and some of the art assets may need to be redone if Larian does revamp the UI.

Personally I think building the UI so it works great first then worry about the art assets is a better approach because in the end, used less developer time.
My initial impression by playing Solasta is, IF ONLY THERE WAS A WAY TO COMBINE THESE TWO GAMES!!!

BG 3 : 10x better graphics, 10000x better looking characters, voice acting, official Faerun license, etc.

Solasta : Easier/convenient interface, no surface nonsense = better combat, better DnD

For me, It's now proven : there should be an option/mod for "strict DnD 5e" rules mode in BG3.
Originally Posted by Lumign
For me, It's now proven : there should be an option/mod for "strict DnD 5e" rules mode in BG3.

Modders are already working on that.

DnD Rebalancing

I just hate that Larian seems to becoming another Bethesda, expecting modders to fix their games. I wish Larian would add a "House Rule" tab in options where we could turn off the various changes Larian is making to 5e rules.

DnD Rebalancing

I just hate that Larian seems to becoming another Bethesda, expecting modders to fix their games. I wish Larian would add a "House Rule" tab in options where we could turn off the various changes Larian is making to 5e rules.

unfortunately there's nothing modders can do about elevation at the moment, and until they do, fights won't play how you expect a 5e fight to play

DnD Rebalancing

I'm glad modder are working on the height elevation shenanigan BG3 have atm. Such as carrying a box around and putting it at your feet at no action cost, stand on it and have advantage... LOL what???

DnD Rebalancing

I'm glad modder are working on the height elevation shenanigan BG3 have atm. Such as carrying a box around and putting it at your feet at no action cost, stand on it and have advantage... LOL what???

It doesn't *look* like it's possible to change that with mods

I would love Larian to drop the height advantage and lower height disadvantage, but if they don't, I'd settle for giving us an ability modifier we can put in mods to ignore it
I watched a video on Solasta. Seems decent. Immediately envied the movement system and no surfaces.

There are a lot of games in this style that do things better than Larian IMO: Pillars of Eternity 2, Pathfinder Kingmaker, Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous, Tyranny... But so far Larian seems to be dead set on trying to make the square peg of Divinity fit on the round hole of Baldur's Gate. Sure, BG3 looks fancier, but basic stuff like controls, camera, and party management are terrible at the moment. I hope they are not so stubborn as to continue on this path, but I guess we have another year or more of Early Access to hope that they change their minds...
Agreed @KingNothing69

I also watched a video. Hard to love those graphics after BG3 and PoE and the grid seemed even cruder than the infinity engine.

*But* it also looked like you could easily move your party around and put them into good strategic position. Let's hope Larian takes notice but I also hope WotC is watching -- I'm still shocked that we don't have a D&D game that uses the PoE engine.
Too much popups during combat, feels like Internet Explorer back in wild 90s.

I do like party acting as a single entity in conversations and of course auto-jump is great.
Originally Posted by Gaidax

I do like party acting as a single entity in conversations and of course auto-jump is great.

I really, really like seeing my attack rolls and damage rolls pop up in combat

that would be the easiest thing in the universe to hide

I can see that, but you can turn these option off. What I also like is you can get different dice! My DICE addiction! XD

Just to clarify as I just recently learned this but in BG3 if you scroll over your combat log you can also see the dice rolls and modifiers.
Originally Posted by Jazhara202

Just to clarify as I just recently learned this but in BG3 if you scroll over your combat log you can also see the dice rolls and modifiers.

I think most people know this, but some people (now me after playing 10 hrs of Solasta) would like the option to see the dice roll on screen over our character head or somewhere not obstructive.
My initial impression by playing Solasta is, IF ONLY THERE WAS A WAY TO COMBINE THESE TWO GAMES!!!

BG 3 : 10x better graphics, 10000x better looking characters, voice acting, official Faerun license, etc.

Solasta : Easier/convenient interface, no surface nonsense = better combat, better DnD

You will be able to do all that in BG3 with a mod at release, so that is 10 mins to do it yourself. You can already do a number of things now with a mod released yesterday.
Or BG3 also has room to grow to make it that way via options or core from here to release as well.

Now the dice rolling animations won't be something in mods and it is nice is Solasta. I'm sure Larian is taking a good look at their game.
Originally Posted by Horrorscope

You will be able to do all that in BG3 with a mod at release, so that is 10 mins to do it yourself. You can already do a number of things now with a mod released yesterday.
Or BG3 also has room to grow to make it that way via options or core from here to release as well.

Now the dice rolling animations won't be something in mods and it is nice is Solasta. I'm sure Larian is taking a good look at their game.

...and people wonder why Larian is already called the new Bethesda by some. laugh

Certainly some work and not all features are equal, but if a solo person can put out a list of 5e fixes in a mod this quickly, it is more of DB adjustment work, change some values. The Divinity Engine was setup really nice to make changes for things like this. We've heard they felt in-house it wasn't as fun as they like, but what they may not be weighing correctly is the audience that wants an authentic DnD implementation. I'm near certain this will become a public discussion once in future community updates.

I think things like surfaces can be amazing, but not every fight, not even half of the fights. Not triggered by cantrips etc. Imo there is a way to tone it down to the point people really appreciate them when they are available to use as clever moments. We'll see. Could even be high-level spell only triggers, something to make them special vs ordinary and over done.

...and people wonder why Larian is already called the new Bethesda by some. laugh

And that is a good thing when it comes to mods, but they still aren't close to Bethesda in that realm. Bethesda gets to laugh all the way to the bank while everyone else holds their spincters too tightly. For example DOS's you can't add content to the main game, they locked that out, Bethesda have at it. Just think what we could have today with DOS's if people were able to add/remove quests? Add/remove objects?

Larian did a nice thing with DOS2 where they would come out with official mods as gift packs or the like, that's a cool thing. Would love to see a lot of games do that, some gameplay alterations are always fresh to me.

And that is a good thing when it comes to mods, but they still aren't close to Bethesda in that realm. Bethesda gets to laugh all the way to the bank while everyone else holds their spincters too tightly. For example DOS's you can't add content to the main game, they locked that out, Bethesda have at it. Just think what we could have today with DOS's if people were able to add/remove quests? Add/remove objects?

Larian did a nice thing with DOS2 where they would come out with official mods as gift packs or the like, that's a cool thing. Would love to see a lot of games do that, some gameplay alterations are always fresh to me.

Hey, not complaining here... that's why I'm still here, to be honest. All I'm hoping for at this point is a well produced Baldur's Gate story, I wouldn't mind modding the rest to fit, however ludicrous the notion, that even as already as EA, it already looks like there will be a lot of modding needed for this AAA game, might be...

Hey, not complaining here... that's why I'm still here, to be honest. All I'm hoping for at this point is a well produced Baldur's Gate story, I wouldn't mind modding the rest to fit, however ludicrous the notion, that even as already as EA, it already looks like there will be a lot of modding needed for this AAA game, might be...

I hope we don't have to use a MOD to play BG3 with "faithful" DnD 5e Rules... like they said it would be (but it's not even close to 5E atm) Anyways, I usually don't use mods and if I do is for cosmetic.
I’ve played Solasta for a few hours today and I have to admit it is pretty decent. The UI feels clean and work properly. And I really like the Reaction Popup, you can even use reaction to cast a feather fall on ally to reduce their falling damage! And the dice over head is very clear, showing you of u miss or not. In general I think BG3 should learn a lot from it, it’s a good game.
Originally Posted by dunehunter
I’ve played Solasta for a few hours today and I have to admit it is pretty decent. The UI feels clean and work properly. And I really like the Reaction Popup, you can even use reaction to cast a feather fall on ally to reduce their falling damage! And the dice over head is very clear, showing you of u miss or not. In general I think BG3 should learn a lot from it, it’s a good game.

Yes! Feather fall is a reaction in DnD 5E and it's great to cast it when an enemy shove your character off the bridge (with an action, not this silly bonus action). With how much verticality BG3 have, it's strange they don't have these reaction for your character. Like causing attack disadvantage with your fighter with a shield as a reaction! Kudos to Solasta to implementing the 5E rule SO well!
Yeah Solasta is amazing for DnD 5th rules, I reaaaaaally hope Larian implements that even better! Not least reactions.
[quote=dunehunter]Yes! Feather fall is a reaction in DnD 5E and it's great to cast it when an enemy shove your character off the bridge (with an action, not this silly bonus action). With how much verticality BG3 have, it's strange they don't have these reaction for your character. Like causing attack disadvantage with your fighter with a shield as a reaction! Kudos to Solasta to implementing the 5E rule SO well!

The thing that really gets me about feather fall, is that because it's a bonus action in BG3, you can't feather fall and jump i nthe same turn.. which is the main thing you'd want to use feather fall for in this game.
Originally Posted by Muldeh
[quote=dunehunter]Yes! Feather fall is a reaction in DnD 5E and it's great to cast it when an enemy shove your character off the bridge (with an action, not this silly bonus action). With how much verticality BG3 have, it's strange they don't have these reaction for your character. Like causing attack disadvantage with your fighter with a shield as a reaction! Kudos to Solasta to implementing the 5E rule SO well!

The thing that really gets me about feather fall, is that because it's a bonus action in BG3, you can't feather fall and jump i nthe same turn.. which is the main thing you'd want to use feather fall for in this game.

It's very strange system they have for spells right now in BG3.
You guys know you can see your dice rolls if you open the chat window and mouse over the combat entries. States formula being used, what the bonuses that applied were, and the dice used as well as result? (not visible over head, but thats just cosmetic at that rate)
Originally Posted by CMF
You guys know you can see your dice rolls if you open the chat window and mouse over the combat entries. States formula being used, what the bonuses that applied were, and the dice used as well as result? (not visible over head, but thats just cosmetic at that rate)

Which means extra work, not user friendly and overall wastes time.

Why be complicated when it van be simple?

Put the feature in with option to turn on/off. Everybody happy.
Hmmm. Haven't tried Solasta myself yet but in accordance with what people are sayin in here, I wish Larian would play it and get some inspiration. What worries me though is that now when there already is a game more closely following the 5e rules, although not as polished as BG3, is that Larian will see this as an opportunity to stray further away from the core rules to diversify their game from Tactical Adventures. After all, the people that would prefer Solasta over BG3 based on their experience from the EA has already paid the full price for BG3 so Larian has nothing to lose.
Originally Posted by CMF

Which means extra work, not user friendly and overall wastes time.

Why be complicated when it van be simple?

Put the feature in with option to turn on/off. Everybody happy.

It's a design decision I think at that point. Less or more clutter. Option to have it would be fine though. Not game breaking to me and seeing a dice roll doesn't make me feel better or worse about combat, that's just a psychological feelgood moment people are trained to enjoy.
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon
Hmmm. Haven't tried Solasta myself yet but in accordance with what people are sayin in here, I wish Larian would play it and get some inspiration. What worries me though is that now when there already is a game more closely following the 5e rules, although not as polished as BG3, is that Larian will see this as an opportunity to stray further away from the core rules to diversify their game from Tactical Adventures. After all, the people that would prefer Solasta over BG3 based on their experience from the EA has already paid the full price for BG3 so Larian has nothing to lose.

If by "more polished" you mean better graphics, than yes. But in my book this words mean "closer to the finished product". And in this case it's actually the other way around.
Originally Posted by CMF

Yes we can see numbers. But we want to see the dice.
I didn't try solasta yet but from what I saw, it's UI looks more appropriate to me.

The general UI design fit better to such a game than BG3's random MMORPG UI. I don't find Solasta's UI perfect and I don't especially like the "too modern tone". It looks like the UI of a space game with alien and so on but anyway, it's still better to me.

BG3's UI is really undistinguished and very random. I'd like something a little bit more poetic and a little bit more specific to the theme and the world.
I don't like Solasta's UI at all personally. It looks too web design and kills my immersion. I much prefer a UI grounded into the game like in BG3.

This kind of UI works well with games like Endless Space but certainly not with fantasy rpgs in my opinion.
I don't like Solasta's UI at all personally. It looks too web design and kills my immersion. I much prefer a UI grounded into the game like in BG3.

This kind of UI works well with games like Endless Space but certainly not with fantasy rpgs in my opinion.

I agree regarding the colours, texture etc. - but I'm relating more to the UI "logic": where do you find which action, how are spells and actions organized, etc., which in Solasta makes a lot more sense to me than in BG3.
So basically, imagine the Solasta UI with wooden panels, nice sounds and all that, of course, but with its current logic behind. I believe that would be a good starting point to be both immersive and user-friendly.

I agree regarding the colours, texture etc. - but I'm relating more to the UI "logic": where do you find which action, how are spells and actions organized, etc., which in Solasta makes a lot more sense to me than in BG3.
So basically, imagine the Solasta UI with wooden panels, nice sounds and all that, of course, but with its current logic behind. I believe that would be a good starting point to be both immersive and user-friendly.

+1
Originally Posted by Dastan McKay
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon

If by "more polished" you mean better graphics, than yes. But in my book this words mean "closer to the finished product". And in this case it's actually the other way around.

Yeah, I meant graphics. Maybe "polished" wasn't the right word to use. Sorry smile
I didn't play Solasta (yet) but I watched some streamers. My opinion is just another coin in the jar so what I observed is:

- the 3D overlay map of the zone as well as the world map looks phenomenal; even shows your party moving across the world map with quirky updates of that adventure

- pathing looks precise and smooth; although in what I saw here some say it just looks that way and maybe it's not the case... the streamers didn't complain about it

- spell visuals blow BG3 out of the water. Looking at that they did makes me wonder if Larian fell asleep on that creative front when it comes to spells

- cutscenes look really bad by todays standards, but although BG3 cutscene visuals look great, the animations are bizarre (chars looking who knows where in a convo, over the top gestures/emotions, etc.) A for Effort to Larian for trying to do what they are attempting to do but it's not there yet. The appreciation for superb 3D chars is broken by glitchy or goofy facial gestures and whatever else.

- overall UI is - as some have said - minimalistic and does not match the game at all so Larian has the upper hand there on the artistic front. I doubt Solasta wanted to do it this way and my guess it was probably a budget/scope issue/team size issue.

That's all I got so far until I play the game.

Originally Posted by cgexile
I didn't play Solasta (yet) but I watched some streamers. My opinion is just another coin in the jar so what I observed is:

- the 3D overlay map of the zone as well as the world map looks phenomenal; even shows your party moving across the world map with quirky updates of that adventure

- pathing looks precise and smooth; although in what I saw here some say it just looks that way and maybe it's not the case... the streamers didn't complain about it

- spell visuals blow BG3 out of the water. Looking at that they did makes me wonder if Larian fell asleep on that creative front when it comes to spells

- cutscenes look really bad by todays standards, but although BG3 cutscene visuals look great, the animations are bizarre (chars looking who knows where in a convo, over the top gestures/emotions, etc.) A for Effort to Larian for trying to do what they are attempting to do but it's not there yet. The appreciation for superb 3D chars is broken by glitchy or goofy facial gestures and whatever else.

- overall UI is - as some have said - minimalistic and does not match the game at all so Larian has the upper hand there on the artistic front. I doubt Solasta wanted to do it this way and my guess it was probably a budget/scope issue/team size issue.

That's all I got so far until I play the game.

I agreed that Solasta spell animation is really good. Especially magic missiles. The story seems interesting, I finished the EA last night and I still enjoy their COMBAT immensity because it stuck to DnD 5E mechanic and rules (it's not slow or clunky imo). I do like BG3 for what it is (DOS) combat... This is not what I was looking for. DOS should stay in DOS and Baldur gate should stay in DnD 5e like Larian stated "faithful to DnD 5e. Anyways, I can go into all the detail that Solasta did so well combat, resting wise. Solasta is only a team of 17 people and with very small budget, their Kickstarter goal is 250K. While, Larian have millions and 350+ people. I'm amaze what this small indie have accomplished.
+1 on most of the stuff i've seen on the thread about the rules and etc.

UI...can be better in terms of design, and making making it a little bit smaller? But it serves it purpose.
Faerie Fire feels really useful in Solasta, because advantage is rare. In BG3? Go behind enemy and get some backstab! Bah!
Originally Posted by CMF

And do you know in BG3 sneak attack is calculated by 1d6 x multiplier? So if you are level 3 rogue and u dice 1, your SA dam is 1 x 2 = 2. Lamest implement ever.
Solasta has some jank but straight away the combat feels better. Agree with a lot of what has been said here about why. I actually think the interface is a bit ugly but the interactions are better (for example prompts you more clearly on available actions before yielding turn). Also not making the first encounter an enemy type with a laundry list of resists doesn't create the feel bads. Just not trying to plan on two different systems at the same time makes combat more enjoyable.
Let's just hope they really take a good look at it, and realize sticking close to the ruleset can be a good thing and we don't need all this flashy it worked in D:OS so lets try to bring it into a DnD game, and not let pride get in the way of adapting.

Don't get me wrong I think having a highly interactive environment is a good thing and tickles my DnD senses, and the potential BG3 has is honestly at the stratosphere. But these crazy surface effects are not needed and when you start having to adjust the balance of a system that your using as a basis to support them, something that has been play tested for years.... and is already highly successful and proven. You don't reinvent the wheel from the ground up.

However in regards to Solasta... SRD is very unappealing to me personally.
Originally Posted by Fistandilus
However in regards to Solasta... SRD is very unappealing to me personally.

They filled the blanks pretty well. I can't vouch for balance but it seems reasonable.
And they stated that just like any other unity game it support modding. So giving time your favorite subclasses will be available.
© Larian Studios forums