Larian Studios
Posted By: Ormgaard Dear Larian. What is missing here ? - 27/10/20 01:31 PM
When you make a game that is so dense that every coner of the map reveals a new encounter and on top of that have things like fast travel, camp everywhere/anytime the game becomres more of a turnbased strategy game with RPG elements instead of a RPG with turnbased combat.
When you make a game that is filled to the brim with magical items, scrolls, potions, exploding oilbarrels and arrows, then the mystical and mythical just becomes mundane and not something of wonder but soley a tool for "completing" the tactical combat scenarious.
The sense of wonder, danger and exploration evaporises after a very short time
Sometimes less is more you know.

I would love to try this EA out with an option for the following.

1. tone down magical items to 1/10th of what it has now but make the items more meanigfull just like the necklace you can use for speak with the dead.
2. remove the go to camp from anywhere but a few select places like the druid cove feks.
3. remove the fast travel system or at least have it cost resources.
4. remove normal food healing properties, if normal food is just as powerfull as healing potions what is the reason for healing porions to exists at all? and why can't i just stack up on food in the city?
5. turn off exploding barrels.
6. turn off the groundeffect componenets on cantrips
7. make Jump mechanism as per 5e ruleset
8. make push as per 5e ruleset
9. make economy based on supply and demand, ie make alot of the trash drops unwanted by vendors and or lower the price they will pay.
10. turn off aoe effect on arrows.
11. Make encounters leve appropiate, not cool to meet a lv 4 red dragon.
12. make short rest more acessible but let it be impossible or very dangerous at certain places
Posted By: Ixal Re: Dear Larian. What is missing here ? - 27/10/20 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Ormgaard
When you make a game that is so dense that every coner of the map reveals a new encounter and on top of that have things like fast travel, camp everywhere/anytime the game becomres more of a turnbased strategy game with RPG elements instead of a RPG with turnbased combat.
When you make a game that is filled to the brim with magical items, scrolls, potions, exploding oilbarrels and arrows, then the mystical and mythical just becomes mundane and not something of wonder but soley a tool for "completing" the tactical combat scenarious.

1. tone down magical items to 1/10th of what it has now but make the items more meanigfull just like the necklace you can use for speak with the dead.
2. remove the go to camp from anywhere but a few select places like the druid cove feks.
4. remove normal food healing properties, if normal food is just as powerfull as healing potions what is the reason for healing porions to exists at all? and why can't i just stack up on food in the city?
9. make economy based on supply and demand, ie make alot of the trash drops unwanted by vendors and or lower the price they will pay.
12. make short rest more acessible but let it be impossible or very dangerous at certain places

2+5+6+9+11 will not happen.

The games storytelling depends on the camp. Having a fixed location you can have dialogues in.
Barrels and ground effects arepart of the combat system and Larian won't change it this late in development.
A functioning economy is wasted on a linear RPG and too much effort to invest. And Larian has already chosen the storyline and entire style of the game which they won't change now so you are stuck with epic level 2 combats etc.
Posted By: Ormgaard Re: Dear Larian. What is missing here ? - 27/10/20 01:44 PM
OK so its just a wasted effor to give feedback i guess as everythign but bugfixing is set in stone?
thats now what i recall form the EA of DOS 2 thou , alot of major things where changed even late ion development.

It's not that i expect tem to do anything i care for but i would still love them to reconsider the approach they have at the game atm, one thing is for ceartain thou if they dont get feedback good or bad only bugfixing will be done.
Posted By: Dulany67 Re: Dear Larian. What is missing here ? - 27/10/20 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Ixal

The games storytelling depends on the camp. Having a fixed location you can have dialogues in.
Barrels and ground effects arepart of the combat system and Larian won't change it this late in development.
A functioning economy is wasted on a linear RPG and too much effort to invest. And Larian has already chosen the storyline and entire style of the game which they won't change now so you are stuck with epic level 2 combats etc.

agree
Originally Posted by Ixal

And he’s serious! In an optimistic manner!
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: Dear Larian. What is missing here ? - 27/10/20 01:49 PM
That is just another post in a long list of "the game isn't realistic enough or faithful enough to 5e" posts.
And this is just another comment in a long list of "literal interpretations of 5e (or life in general) don't make for a very fun video game" comments on those posts.
Posted By: Ixal Re: Dear Larian. What is missing here ? - 27/10/20 01:49 PM
OK so its just a wasted effor to give feedback i guess as everythign but bugfixing is set in stone?
thats now what i recall form the EA of DOS 2 thou , alot of major things where changed even late ion development.

It's not that i expect tem to do anything i care for but i would still love them to reconsider the approach they have at the game atm, one thing is for ceartain thou if they dont get feedback good or bad only bugfixing will be done.

You have to be realistic about what can reasonable be changes and still meet deadlines and what not. And those things are in my opinion already too integral to BG3 to simply change without massive rewrites which will push back the release and cost a lot of money.
Posted By: Ormgaard Re: Dear Larian. What is missing here ? - 27/10/20 01:52 PM
I seriously hope you're wrong, but what do i know! other than the game is not for me then
Maybe i can hope for a modder to change the ruleset somehow to make it more in my taste.
Posted By: Nyanko Re: Dear Larian. What is missing here ? - 27/10/20 01:55 PM
I seriously hope you're wrong, but what do i know! other than the game is not for me then
Maybe i can hope for a modder to change the ruleset somehow to make it more in my taste.

If you really want the game to be exactly what you are expecting from it, I suggest you start modding yourself. Cause modders will make changes according to what they want and it won't necessarily match what you want. So as the proverb goes: 'if you want something done, do it yourself'.
Posted By: Ormgaard Re: Dear Larian. What is missing here ? - 27/10/20 02:00 PM
I totally agree smile but alas i can't code for the life of me ....
Posted By: Argonaut Re: Dear Larian. What is missing here ? - 27/10/20 02:02 PM
@Nyanko
Have to wait for full release. It's a lot of work that I shouldn't have to do.
Posted By: Vekkares Re: Dear Larian. What is missing here ? - 27/10/20 02:05 PM

Reduce magic items? Dude STFU! Just dont use the items. Why do you want everyone else to suffer from YOUR playstyle? Most items are junk, which is how D&D is. Its fun to make use of a crappy item but finding some off the wall use for that ring of jumping or cloak of the manta ray.
Posted By: Ormgaard Re: Dear Larian. What is missing here ? - 27/10/20 02:10 PM
"I would love to try this EA out with an option for the following"

HOLY macaroni please calm down dude no need to be nasty, it was a suggestion for what I would like to try out in the EA like putting in and OPTION , please stop responding if you can't be civil about it, or try to read the post first.
Posted By: Emrikol Re: Dear Larian. What is missing here ? - 27/10/20 02:54 PM

I largely agree with all of these, though with a few slight modifications:

1. Fewer magic items as loot is fine; strip vendors of almost all of it
2. Resting limitations are a must. I doubt they will change the teleport to and from camp idea, but at least limit how often rest is possible
5. Barrel frequency can be toned down, not removed (Larian loves their barrels).
11. I just assumed some of the levels were just cosmetic and hence irrelevant (e.g. level 4 dragon). If it isn't, yeah bump them up

As for 2+5+6+9+11 not happening, I don't agree. Yes, (2) the campground area likely isn't going anywhere, but that says nothing about how often we should be able to access it. It isn't unreasonable to expect a reduction in barrel placement, nor for cantrips to be tweaked. (9) probably isn't happening, I agree.
Yes density overload. The game needs more <empty> areas with just atmosphere to chill and lose yourself into.
Stupid item overload. Yet again.
Yea meeting dragons at LEVEL 4 in a Baldurs gate/DnD game. Doesnt get any dummer than that. Talk about immersion/lore braking.
Not having fast travel is like asking a teen not use their smart phone for an hour. Will never happen in a modern game.
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Dear Larian. What is missing here ? - 27/10/20 03:24 PM
I also agree with OP but :

I don't think they have to turn OFF explodings barrels, but they have to tone it down.
About rest something has to be done but I'm not sure being able to long rest only when you're in a few location is a good solution.
About fast travel, it's important to be able to "fast travel", but there are more immersive ways to deal with it... These random MMORPG TP just sucks atm.

About items, I don't think it's necessary to have less items... But it's necessary to have MORE +1 items and MORE meaningfull items. Actually the magical items are not really interresting exept a few of them.
Posted By: Sharet Re: Dear Larian. What is missing here ? - 27/10/20 03:32 PM

+1000
© Larian Studios forums