Larian Studios
Posted By: Thapelo Larian.....don't be scared of the dark side - 29/10/20 06:50 AM
Since the game is more mature give us a gore option in the menu, I want my killing blows with a 2h sword to dismemberment, right now arrows feel like throwing stones at enemies, the arrow is floaty, the impact has no real reaction, tossing a fireball is like throw a lit match at someone, they don't flinch, the shove mechanic has floaty mechanics, everything needs a bit more weight, more impact, more visceral sound, combat can feel a bit mundane. I loved getting decapitations in the Witcher 3 or seeing foes reeling on fire. The problem is we are carrying over physics from DO:S2 where it's fine to be goofy or for characters to stand in fire and not flinch.....let's ramp things up
I have to sign up for this one. I imagine it will boil down to a fan made gore mode since Larian clearly wants to appeal to a larger public and let's be honest. We don't need the above to enjoy the game.

But it's true. In BG2 you could enable/disable gore mode on critical strikes with the body falling apart. It was 2000 and the gore mode consisted of 5 pixels flying around in different directions. But damn, would love to see a critical strike with a sword or spell result in a zoom in with horrible details shown. Especially with mind flayers. The amount of things to cut off raises drastically and with it : the fun.

I'm afraid not everyone is fan of this though xD
I'm not a fan of gore, violence, and especially dismemberment in games.

I won't object to them adding extra gory detail, but if they do, I hope it's totally optional.
Originally Posted by Thapelo
Since the game is more mature give us a gore option in the menu, I want my killing blows with a 2h sword to dismemberment, right now arrows feel like throwing stones at enemies, the arrow is floaty, the impact has no real reaction, tossing a fireball is like throw a lit match at someone, they don't flinch, the shove mechanic has floaty mechanics, everything needs a bit more weight, more impact, more visceral sound, combat can feel a bit mundane. I loved getting decapitations in the Witcher 3 or seeing foes reeling on fire. The problem is we are carrying over physics from DO:S2 where it's fine to be goofy or for characters to stand in fire and not flinch.....let's ramp things up

I would gladly trade the ridiculous pools of blood for what you’re describing.
The problem with dismemberment is that they'd have to create a system for it and support all the different character models. It's a lot of work for a totally unneeded feature
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
Originally Posted by Thapelo

I would gladly trade the ridiculous pools of blood for what you’re describing.

+1
Oh, that desired bloody mess from fallout 2 - shot with a small gun > mortal kombat fatality.
I'd be good with a bit more rag doll effects and arrows that stick into the body and don't just disappear + burning, electric effects on the body.

I feel like dismemberment has became a cheap, stupid thing for teenagers, I haven't seen any good examples outside of Witcher 3.

Like in Fallout 3 you could shoot off a head with a pistol, sadly it seems that in Cyberpunk we will be able to dismember people with ... guns, lets not go this teenage gore fetish direction unless its done in a realistic way.
Certainly I feel some of the critical hits that lead to deaths could be more varied. Backstab could be a nice knife plant between the ribs or a slit throat... it doesn't have to be overtly graphic, but yeah I kinda suppot the OP here that Death shouldn't be sanitized. Heck some of the spell deaths are a little toasty grim, lol
Originally Posted by Riandor
Certainly I feel some of the critical hits that lead to deaths could be more varied. Backstab could be a nice knife plant between the ribs or a slit throat... it doesn't have to be overtly graphic, but yeah I kinda suppot the OP here that Death shouldn't be sanitized. Heck some of the spell deaths are a little toasty grim, lol

Ah, yes. I'd say an "appropriate" level of gore should be implemented; so a backstab would be subtle and a killing blow with a greatsword - quite spectacular. Falling to bits after being gently bonked with a quarterstaff would be bad too.

As a side note, while I'm 100% on board with gore, a toggle for "bloody mess" would be welcome (and I think quite easily implemented).

(I like the current crispy spell crits... and the combat log: "Bugbear saw the light" on Guiding Bolt kill.)
© Larian Studios forums