Larian Studios
Posted By: whalesecrets Abjuration seems underpowered - 08/11/20 05:05 AM
This time around I decided to spec my wizard in abjuration, but I am regretting it.
For one thing, mage armor appears to be the only wizard abjuration spell, so it doesn't come into play very often.
I can learn some cleric abjuration spells (which is a little weird) but they don't seem to trigger the effect.

Also it's shield just seems fairly week given how much damage everything does and how many hit points everything has.
Suggest buffing it's shield value a little? I still don't think it would make the mage anywhere near a tank, although it would be cool if there was a way you could spec abjuration that was.

I particularly think this needs a buff given how useful the evoker buff is, shockwave that only hits enemies is pretty amazing in this game, especially with all the high ledges.
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: Abjuration seems underpowered - 08/11/20 09:36 AM
For abjuration to work, it really needs Shield spell to be in the game.
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: Abjuration seems underpowered - 08/11/20 10:25 AM
It is, especially considering that you cannot cast reaction spells.
Posted By: Baraz Re: Abjuration seems underpowered - 08/11/20 05:49 PM
On the tabletop, it is one of the best.

Currently in BG3-EA, I would definitely not choose the Wizard Abjuration school on my next playthrough.

nb : I cast Mage Armor to start the day, like a breakfast ritual, but almost never cast Protection from Evil/Good... Sigh.
( if the Abjuration Cantrip called Blade Ward worked with it, it would be nice, but it is not a spell technically. )
Posted By: Eugerome Re: Abjuration seems underpowered - 08/11/20 07:53 PM
Yeah, the way abjurers ward is implemented is weird. Lack of abjuration spells is also annoying.
Posted By: Merlex Re: Abjuration seems underpowered - 09/11/20 10:07 AM
And a 3 hp shield that doesn't stack with temporary hp (as it does in 5e), is very underwhelming. False Life, Aid, and Armor of Agathys, are much better options. In 5e Arcane Ward has hp = 2x level + Intelligence modifier.
© Larian Studios forums