Larian Studios
Posted By: OneManArmy Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 12:33 PM
There is a "gold standard", the classic 4-person RPG party model. It was made by games such as Dragon Age and Original Sin, even in Neverwinter Nights they usually had a party with 4 companions (to get more you needed a special skill if I'm not mistaken)

I personally like 4 characters: the main character and three companions. But there are those who want to change this standard and set up an experiment on the players.

How about 3 party member? This will make our group more united, speed up the battles, and so on. Who has any thoughts on this? The player will not have the feeling that he is leading a small army. How it is done in Mass Effect!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Abits Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 12:37 PM
Are you trolling us? I'm for it. Go three! Like Harry Ron Hermione, gimli Aragon legolas, and the Powerpuff girls!

Oh yeah go Kotor
Posted By: Evil_it_Self Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 12:37 PM
dnd is balanced around a party of 6 , because the game have 6 stats and its impossible to cover all the rolls with only 4 party members.
Posted By: OneManArmy Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by Evil_it_Self
dnd is balanced around a party of 6 , because the game have 6 stats and its impossible to cover all the rolls with only 4 party members.

You can do two to the maximum, in the character creation editor. For a warrior - Strength and Endurance (although Laezel has them already high). To the Wizard - Intellect and Charisma. So this task can be solved with the help of three characters. Oh, and there is also an artifact in the game that makes a warrior's intelligence equal to 18
Posted By: Abits Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 12:50 PM
Just wanted to add the awesome animaniacs. Indispensable proof that three is best.

On a more serious note - the balance argument is kinda bs. Nwn had 2 party members as far as I remember and I don't see many people complaining about it. On the other hand it's nwn so...
Posted By: Dogmatis Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 01:09 PM
Why stop at 3? Black Friday is coming up, lets go for 1! Like the Witcher!!!!

Then you don't need to worry about shitty companions because you wont have any!
Posted By: Tuv Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 01:10 PM
you can always play with fewer characters if you want to unite more, speed up combat more and so on more. Maybe 2 teams of 3 united in one?

I generally like the idea though of argueing which number is the one true number
Posted By: OneManArmy Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Tuv
you can always play with fewer characters if you want to unite more, speed up combat more and so on more. Maybe 2 teams of 3 united in one?

I generally like the idea though of argueing which number is the one true number

I also have such an idea to remove the limit on the number of companions. It's realistic! The main character and his twelve friends. Then everyone will be happy.
You only need ONE group member.
Me - the f°cking god of everything, lol.

-
Or maybe two with extrem buffs like in DoS2.
Why not?

But five members would be very nice.
Posted By: Abits Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 02:36 PM
Me and scratch against the hordes of hell. That would be epic
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 02:38 PM
Not sure if it's a troll or not, but assuming it is... It would be so easier for them to read and hear players if this forum wasn't drowned in this kind of topic
Posted By: Tuco Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 02:48 PM
I wish I could slap you out of existence.
Posted By: Nyanko Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 03:12 PM
You can do it yourself. They don't need to change anything.
Posted By: Riandor Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 03:25 PM
2/10 must troll harder.
Posted By: OneManArmy Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Tuco
I wish I could slap you out of existence.

I didn't say that the third character in the group should be the cleric of Loviavar from the goblin camp, why are you angry
Posted By: Thrandarian Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 03:56 PM
There are peeps that did EA with 1....so it can be done.
Posted By: Zarna Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Thrandarian
There are peeps that did EA with 1....so it can be done.

Trust is a foolish thing. I like my party of one. smile
Posted By: Vortex138 Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 04:28 PM
Agree, this must be trolling... Grant it, I think that at some point, varying the number of party members would be awesome, but there would need to be extra balancing involved. Such as increasing the number of monsters, or buffing them if you have over 4 party members. Then debuffing or decreasing the number of enemies if less than 4. DoS2 had 2 mods for this to balance the difficulty.

And just for the record, the 4 person party concept started with Final Fantasy, way back in 1987. :P
Posted By: Lenggao Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 05:16 PM
I like one better.

Most game have one, it really gives you the importance of teamwork as an emphasis. It also makes you so much more important.

You don't need to micromanage because it requires too much thinking, you just do your own thing. A single player game, since most of us have no friends right?
Isn't that why we want low numbers for party members.
Posted By: mrfuji3 Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Vortex138
Agree, this must be trolling... Grant it, I think that at some point, varying the number of party members would be awesome, but there would need to be extra balancing involved. Such as increasing the number of monsters, or buffing them if you have over 4 party members. Then debuffing or decreasing the number of enemies if less than 4. DoS2 had 2 mods for this to balance the difficulty.

And just for the record, the 4 person party concept started with Final Fantasy, way back in 1987. :P

Minimal encounter balancing is necessary. Just divide encounter exp between characters who are actually present.
-Party of 2? The exp is only split two ways, meaning that each character levels up faster
-Part of 6? The exp is split 6 ways, meaning that each character levels up much more slowly.
The first 3-4 fights would be much easier/harder with a party of 6/2, but it would very soon auto-correct itself, at least to some degree. No need for any specific "lone wolf" mode.

To prevent companions left-at-camp from being underleveled to the point of uselessness, maybe auto-level them up to stay no more than 2 levels below the PC.
Posted By: Tuv Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Originally Posted by Tuv

I also have such an idea to remove the limit on the number of companions. It's realistic! The main character and his twelve friends. Then everyone will be happy.

Studies with anectdotal sample sizes show that balance is fine up until you reach 27 party members.

Also it appears that this configuration adds the left side of Baldur's Gate back into the game. Larian thought of everything

On a side note, this is actually not that cumbersome to control and having a train of so many goons works and looks great. wouldn't work this easily with a non-larian-chained approach.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: vometia Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 06:23 PM
They do say two's company, three's a crowd. I'm scared of the growly yellow elf thing though, I need a handy Gale to take all the aggro.
Posted By: Soul-Scar Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 06:48 PM
I am hardcore I prefer 0 players.
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 08:57 PM
I'd actually be fine with 3-person party. Fewer people to get in each other's way and have to individually jump with.
Posted By: Dogmatis Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
I'd actually be fine with 3-person party. Fewer people to get in each other's way and have to individually jump with.

This says a lot about the state of the games pathing and character control.
Posted By: fucking wizard Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 09/11/20 09:15 PM
В divinity original sin 2 я играл в кооперативе с одним другом(из моих друзей и подруг, к сожалению, больше ни у кого не нашлось времени и желания к нам присоединиться), отыгрывали за двух персонажей используя за обоих навык "волк одиночка", удваивающий характеристики. Хотелось бы увидеть подобный навык и в Bg 3, так как скорее всего играть я буду в компании с тем же человеком.

Во время сольной игры, я напротив предпочел собрать команду из 4 персонажей, желая раскрыть за одно прохождение как можно больше сюжетных элементов. И если число персонаже в команде возрастет до 6 или более, по моему мнению, это создаст более насыщенный сюжет, создаст больше конфликтов, казусов или нелепостей и прочего. Сюжетная составляющая обогатится, да и гейм-плейная тоже, хоть и станет сложнее.
Posted By: JonasC Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 12/11/20 09:27 AM
Six characters in the party is preferred.
Posted By: pinklily Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 12/11/20 11:30 AM
I'm actually fine with the 4 person party but I could go for a 3 person party under one particular circumstance--if the two party members you bring actively engage in conversation cutscenes. And I don't mean the odd comment here and there, I mean they give their input and even debate with the other party member/player/npc. Something like that would be easier to pull off with a smaller party than a large one and I will always--always--take dialogue immersion over anything combat mechanics related. As it stands, usually one companion makes a comment at random so you'll likely miss what other characters may have said.

So, OP, I don't think you're crazy or trolling.
Posted By: Thrythlind Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 12/11/20 02:27 PM
This is actually a much harder sell than a 6 person party. D&D is based around 4 basic roles and has been for quite a while and lacking one of those roles can be problematic. 5e makes it possible to approach the basic roles in a couple of different ways, but it's harder to hit all of them in just 3 party members. I'd be fine with a party that size on tabletop, but it would make designing challenges for a CRPG a bit too erratic as it would be harder to predict what abilities a party wouldn't have. Also it would cut off access to storylines and thus XP.

There's very little in favor of reducing the party minimum.
Posted By: Divine Star Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 12/11/20 03:12 PM
You can choose to have a 3 party team by leaving someone behind at the camp or not recruiting them. There's no reason for this to be implemented at all.
Posted By: OneManArmy Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 12/11/20 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Divine Star
You can choose to have a 3 party team by leaving someone behind at the camp or not recruiting them. There's no reason for this to be implemented at all.

People want to change the size of the party by 6 people, but I'm happy with 4. For this I created this topic as opposed to them cool
I observe how everyone is already satisfied with 4 people, and how everyone does not want the 3rd
Posted By: alice_ashpool Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 12/11/20 03:22 PM
change the party size to 69
Posted By: nation Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 12/11/20 03:29 PM
this - but idk if the intention of this thread is supposed to be taken seriously or provide meaningful feedback lol wink .

respectfully, as ea has gone on without any real pointed larian response to items cited in these forums the more and more i feel like posts found here are just for the memes which tbh is discouraging as someone who jumped into ea thinking to provide feedback for a long awaited IP
Posted By: Divine Star Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 12/11/20 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by OneManArmy

People want to change the size of the party by 6 people, but I'm happy with 4. For this I created this topic as opposed to them cool
I observe how everyone is already satisfied with 4 people, and how everyone does not want the 3rd

I admit when I first started playing the game I wanted 6 party members. Then the more playthroughs I went through, I only recruit one companion. But if you're not serious with the Topic I shall say no more. XD
Posted By: Divine Star Re: Change the party size to 3 people - 12/11/20 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by nation
this - but idk if the intention of this thread is supposed to be taken seriously or provide meaningful feedback lol wink .

respectfully, as ea has gone on without any real pointed larian response to items cited in these forums the more and more i feel like posts found here are just for the memes which tbh is discouraging as someone who jumped into ea thinking to provide feedback for a long awaited IP

Be careful about complaining about EA. The Larian keyboard warriors will come and attack you and the moderators will back them up even if they're toxic about it. But I do hear you on that. It's been quiet since we've gotten patches, hotfixes and even a response regarding the feedback. I long stopped sending feedback emails and just started playing out of a beta-tester mindset.
© Larian Studios forums