Larian Studios
Posted By: benbaxter Thank you for making potions useful. - 26/11/20 05:29 PM
I just wanted to say something positive, since I often am only offering constructive criticism.

Thank you for making potions a bonus action. They are basically useless in combat in RAW 5E as full actions, and tend to get house ruled into bonus actions anyway.
Agree.
Posted By: Leuenherz Re: Thank you for making potions useful. - 26/11/20 11:10 PM
Yup.

While swallowing a whole pig's head in a turn is kind of a meme already, the availability of bonus action healing through consumables is a big boon for the game.
Posted By: Zellin Re: Thank you for making potions useful. - 27/11/20 12:08 AM
Actually they fixed a contradiction in original rules by that. D&D 5E states:
Here are a few examples of the sorts of thing you can do in tandem with your Movement and action:

<...>
drink all the ale in a flagon

...so a flagon of alcohol is ok, but not a healing potion? WoTC, I already know what you should take from the game in your 5.1E
It would be nice to also be able to expend a full action to down another potion. There's plenty of times when I've only had the lesser healing potions available and one hit in a fight wipes out the gains from it.
Posted By: nizanegusa Re: Thank you for making potions useful. - 27/11/20 06:48 AM
i disagree.
for some classes bonus actions are very important for some not at all. making some actions like potions, shove, and hide bonus actions just unbalances things further.
if i want to make potions useful as a DM i give out better potions so you have both a tactical choice and a strong option.
Posted By: benbaxter Re: Thank you for making potions useful. - 27/11/20 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by nizanegusa
i disagree.
for some classes bonus actions are very important for some not at all. making some actions like potions, shove, and hide bonus actions just unbalances things further.
if i want to make potions useful as a DM i give out better potions so you have both a tactical choice and a strong option.

Oh, I agree with you about shove. It is basically an attack, and makes sense as a full action.

Healing in low levels of RAW 5E is useless in combat (other than healing word, a ranged bonus action). You are almost always better off killing off an opponent than healing an ally. This game has increased the health of almost every enemy, and needs a counter balance that the BA potions supply.
Posted By: Zzealot Re: Thank you for making potions useful. - 27/11/20 08:37 AM
Using potions for a bonus action is ok, but I like the idea of limiting inventory actions much more. Changing weapons / equipment, like any other actions with items, must spend a bonus action too. And the use of food during combat should definitely be prohibited.
Originally Posted by Leuenherz
Yup.

While swallowing a whole pig's head in a turn is kind of a meme already, the availability of bonus action healing through consumables is a big boon for the game.

Yup.
Most common house rule here...

Like it.
© Larian Studios forums