Larian Studios
Posted By: VeronicaTash Githyanki Conversation is Disappointing - 17/12/20 02:23 PM
I just started a playthrough with a Githyanki character to see how that would affect dialogue, and I'm disappointed. Now, a lot of characters do respond uniquely to it and so you have a great start there - but I am still dismayed that Lae'zel has, so far, said nothing that was related to my character being Githyanki. I got to pick a couple things myself special for being Githyanki when I saved her in the cage - but no special speech from her. Odd as it may be, that is more important than all the much more extensive work to get all those other character reactions. She still speaks of her people as if my character is not one of them.
I also find particularly infuriating that when you try to recruit Shadowheart at the grove she speaks to you as if you were not a Gith at all, as if the only Gith there was Lae'zel. At least in Patch 2. Don't know if something changed with patch 3.
That part did change. She tells you to stay away and calls you flatnose, though it is gith in the subtitles - at least if you don't try to help her. The tieflings that got Lae'zel in a cage also react calling you "another one." But nothing from Lae'zel herself.
But isn't that when you first meet her on the beach? I mean later, when you meet her at the grove and you can try to recruit her again.
I haven't ever seen her open for recruitment at the grove - perhaps because I always recruited her on the beach.
She ran away from my Gith when I first met her and I found her later at the grove. In that conversation my MC did not register as a gith at all. But I should check again, maybe they changed it after patch 3.
Shadowheart is probably afraid of the sun as well. Don't let it bother you too much.

I did not created a Githyankee yet but I knew it would be wishiwashi.
When the Githyanki character had no Gith styled clothes preview I knew that was barely finished.
See Lae'zel as the provider for your rightful armor too.

And if a Patch changes it and makes her more realistically clingy to it, remember her corpse will have no complaints. =)
Originally Posted by Kajsentlyha
She ran away from my Gith when I first met her and I found her later at the grove. In that conversation my MC did not register as a gith at all. But I should check again, maybe they changed it after patch 3.

Well, I played where I just called her bluff and ended up killing her and couldn't ressurect her - so I reloaded from the autosave and tried again. A successful intimidation check with an assertive "you will come with me" attitude got her to reluctantly come with me.
She has a few interactions, but you generally come across as a moron when interacting with her. Rather than assume you actually know anything from growing up a gith, the game has you ask basic ass questions. Your character SHOULD know about purification, and be able to discuss it with her. Instead you ask her what it is, and are chided for being stupid. Same with discussing Vlaakith. There's no "Another glorious day in the service to the Lich Queen!" but instead "Derrrr.. who is our god queen again?"

Also, she never gives approval for you giving Gith responses. This feels like a bug, as though they are dialogue she would give during an Origin playthrough and Laezel wouldnt give approval for herself. Regardless, it should be changed.
Posted By: Dexai Re: Githyanki Conversation is Disappointing - 17/12/20 11:13 PM
On the other hand, Lassie giving approval to herself for choosing her dialogue options should totally be a thing
Originally Posted by VeronicaTash
but I am still dismayed that Lae'zel has, so far, said nothing that was related to my character being Githyanki
You think you are the first Githyanki she met? Nope. Shadowheart reactions are fairly well done though. You will have troubles even recruiting her while being that green egg laying monster called "gith".
I am the first Githyanki she met on the ship. Certainly, surrounded by a sea of non-Githyanki someone who is so sure of Githyanki superiority is going to make some sort of deal about it.
I found the options pretty good myself. I do wish we could argue back against Lae'zel though. Our character seems older given they've been to the Githyanki capital and she's never been to the astral realm before, yet she starts talking about this "Purification protocol" our character has never heard of and we just go along with it?

No. Githyanki would argue. And be paranoid as Hell about a protocol they've never heard of. I get that they probably didn't want to tip-off the Gith player too much about further spoilers but it is always kind of annoying.

Beyond that though we have some great Gith dialogue. I enjoyed making that one tiefling kneel for Lae'zel and talking about eating cats with the couple. I also liked that we get two different Githyanki dialogue with the old woman who offers gruel so we can be a snooty Gith or an adventurous Gith depending on choice.

Unfortunately for Shadowheart she has a nasty habit of running her mouth and dying for it whenever I play one.
I am going to correct myself and say that it was just the early conversation that was weak. She does recognize you as being Githyanki later on the story, but not with your early interactions on the nautiloid or when you recruit her again.
© Larian Studios forums