Larian Studios
Posted By: Dantrag28 Need More Masculine Characters - 23/12/20 06:22 PM
Where is the skull crushing Dwarf, and where is the racist Orc hating Paladin?
Posted By: VeronicaTash Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 23/12/20 06:24 PM
the dwarf sounds hypermasculine, but the racist paladin is just a shitty person regardless of gender. You can have a super feminine paladin who hates dwarves.
Posted By: YT-Yangbang Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 23/12/20 06:44 PM
I agree OP, our current ragtag of companions are...random. of all of them, Lae zel is the most macho. But of our 3 gentlemen. Gale is a edgy wizard teen about suicide, astarion is a pretty boy Casanova, and wyll is a theater drama nerd.

If Halsin could be a companion, now that is a chad to bring about to the fight and adventure with.
Posted By: spectralhunter Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 23/12/20 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by YT-Yangbang
I agree OP, our current ragtag of companions are...random. of all of them, Lae zel is the most macho. But of our 3 gentlemen. Gale is a edgy wizard teen about suicide, astarion is a pretty boy Casanova, and wyll is a theater drama nerd.

If Halsin could be a companion, now that is a chad to bring about to the fight and adventure with.

These are the types of companions you get when you try to make special companions with special problems. It’s a cover for bad writing. It’s harder to develop a plain character that’s interesting than a character with a special plot hook.

Halsin is a pretty plain druid. He loves nature and is concerned about a dark presence. He’s not edgy. He’s not insecure. He’s not weak. And he’s also interesting without the drama and someone I’d like to have in my party.
Posted By: VeronicaTash Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 23/12/20 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
It’s harder to develop a plain character that’s interesting than a character with a special plot hook.

That's more an issue that plain characters are not very interesting. This is basically a call to remove roleplaying from the game.
Posted By: spectralhunter Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 23/12/20 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by VeronicaTash
It’s harder to develop a plain character that’s interesting than a character with a special plot hook.

That's more an issue that plain characters are not very interesting. This is basically a call to remove roleplaying from the game.

Where did you jump to the conclusion that I want role playing removed from the game? You assume too much.
Posted By: Bruh Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 23/12/20 07:50 PM
the dwarf sounds hypermasculine, but the racist paladin is just a shitty person regardless of gender. You can have a super feminine paladin who hates dwarves.
Nah, hating orcs is not racism, it's a favor to Faerun.
Genociding goblinoids is a favor to the multiverse.
Posted By: Topgoon Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 23/12/20 08:25 PM

These are the types of companions you get when you try to make special companions with special problems. It’s a cover for bad writing. It’s harder to develop a plain character that’s interesting than a character with a special plot hook.

Halsin is a pretty plain druid. He loves nature and is concerned about a dark presence. He’s not edgy. He’s not insecure. He’s not weak. And he’s also interesting without the drama and someone I’d like to have in my party.

I don't think special plot hooks and a masculine characteristic are mutually exclusive. Just as an example, a "Han Solo" character can still be masculine and have an equally intriguing plot hook (i.e. owe the Zhents a bunch of dough, on the run).

I'm not sure if we need more masculine characters vs. just older, more mature and chill companions. I've noticed that the current companions all exhibits emotional struggles we commonly associate with younger adults (not to say older people don't do this). They just remind me of characters from Young Adult fantasy books:
  • Gale - handles rejection like an unhinged teenager
  • Wyll - trying way too hard to prove himself, still cares way too much about what others think (hence the boosting and self-aggrandizing)
  • Shadowheart - has no idea who she is
  • Lae'zel - covers up crippling insecurity by acting domineering
  • Astarion - supposedly 200+? But highly impulsive and self-absorbed like the stereotypical teenage rebel. Trying too hard to hide from his trauma with the snobbish persona

They're fine on their own, but as a whole, we can use a more mature companion to balance them out. Like a Keldorn in BG2.
Posted By: Nyloth Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 23/12/20 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Dantrag28

Well, we have an elf xenophobe who really doesn't like gnomes. and maybe some other races that he hasn't mentioned yet....
Posted By: spectralhunter Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 23/12/20 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Topgoon
I don't think special plot hooks and a masculine characteristic are mutually exclusive. Just as an example, a "Han Solo" character can still be masculine and have an equally intriguing plot hook (i.e. owe the Zhents a bunch of dough, on the run).

I'm not sure if we need more masculine characters vs. just older, more mature and chill companions. I've noticed that the current companions all exhibits emotional struggles we commonly associate with younger adults (not to say older people don't do this). They just remind me of characters from Young Adult fantasy books:
  • Wyll - trying way too hard to prove himself, still cares way too much about what others think (hence the boosting and self-aggrandizing)
  • Astarion - supposedly 200+? But highly impulsive and self-absorbed like the stereotypical teenage rebel. Trying too hard to hide from his trauma with the snobbish persona

They're fine on their own, but as a whole, we can use a more mature companion to balance them out. Like a Keldorn in BG2.

I agree with you. Han is a good character. He’s not uniquely special. He’s a smuggler so of course he may have issues with gangsters. It’s a realistic plot hook and conflict that works with a plain character.

And yes they need more mature characters to balance out the ones we have now.
Posted By: Dantrag28 Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 24/12/20 02:34 AM
I think Laezel fits the profile as a tough female character. I just don't think there is a balance of male characters who have that skull crushing toughness about them. Baldurs Gate 1&2 had a good balance of characters that were tough and others that I didn't want in my party.
Posted By: Innateagle Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 24/12/20 04:47 AM
I think Lae'zel's more rough than she is tough, tbh. She certainly pretends to be the latter, but it felt like time and time again we were shown she's just a mix of inexperience and sub-par gith evilness. Everyone but Astarion lowkey handled the ceremorphosis scare better than she did.

But yeah, i need me some Korgan and Kagain. Oghren would be too much to ask.
Posted By: biomag Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 24/12/20 08:55 AM
I will take a male skull crusher. No need though to go too much into old washed out tropes... neither to repeat the special snowflakes that the current companions are... there is so much uncovered middle ground...
Posted By: Anfindel Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 24/12/20 09:21 AM

This sounds like a cross between a Personal Ad, and a song: "And he likes Pina Coladas, taking walks in the rain..."

Aside from that, I do agree that the cast of characters could use some more variety in personality (and of course race and class) - perhaps some maturity, some level of positivity, some more in the good to neutral, mix. While they no longer use the actual good/neutral/evil/lawful/chaotic labels, the current cast does seem to tend more to the lawful evil, chaotic neutral spectrum - I couldn't imagine having a close friendship with any of them thus far. Complex motivations are not a bad thing in general, but they should not consistently overpower other aspects of a personality.

Minsc got a bit nutso and dark in wanting to rescue Dynaheir, but it didn't stop him from being upbeat, outgoing, friendly and a bit bonkers - I used to partner him with the sword Lilacor, just to hear the two of the babble back and forth, with a rodent sidekick. Edwin's personality took on new dimensions once he was Edwina. If BG1 and 2 could manage such different personalities and character growth even on the basic level they pulled off, I hope Larian can manage similar range - though much of it might not appear until we get closer to full release. DoS2 certainly manages a cast that wasn't, on the whole, unlikable.
Posted By: zyr1987 Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 24/12/20 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by Anfindel

This sounds like a cross between a Personal Ad, and a song: "And he likes Pina Coladas, taking walks in the rain..."

Aside from that, I do agree that the cast of characters could use some more variety in personality (and of course race and class) - perhaps some maturity, some level of positivity, some more in the good to neutral, mix. While they no longer use the actual good/neutral/evil/lawful/chaotic labels, the current cast does seem to tend more to the lawful evil, chaotic neutral spectrum - I couldn't imagine having a close friendship with any of them thus far. Complex motivations are not a bad thing in general, but they should not consistently overpower other aspects of a personality.

Minsc got a bit nutso and dark in wanting to rescue Dynaheir, but it didn't stop him from being upbeat, outgoing, friendly and a bit bonkers - I used to partner him with the sword Lilacor, just to hear the two of the babble back and forth, with a rodent sidekick. Edwin's personality took on new dimensions once he was Edwina. If BG1 and 2 could manage such different personalities and character growth even on the basic level they pulled off, I hope Larian can manage similar range - though much of it might not appear until we get closer to full release. DoS2 certainly manages a cast that wasn't, on the whole, unlikable.
Just for the record, iirc they've only released the evil companions so far because in DOS II they couldnt get much data on them in ea because everyone picked the nicer ones. I would expect more personalities along the lines you suggest with future companions.
Posted By: Phea Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 24/12/20 11:57 AM
...and he's boring, because I saw billion druids like him before, just with smaller muscles x) Plus there is absolutely no place for character arc for him, no reason to change. Yay, interesting.
Posted By: JustAnotherBaldu Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 24/12/20 01:40 PM
You can have a super feminine paladin who hates dwarves.

Or just a general "high Drow female" who thinks of male Drow as toys and male non-Drow as a fetish. >snort

Originally Posted by Topgoon

Interesting. Never saw it from that perspective but there is some truth to it.

Wyll just appears like the tryhard heroic type. His backstory makes sense too for his current personality.
He is impatient and knows how quick and easy everything can go to sh*t.

He is like "Goblin Slayer" grin ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goblin_Slayer - very good Manga with an air of D&D around it and also has an Anime Adaption )
, when nobody acts, nobody feels responsible, nobody cares, then it is over!
So Wyll rather acts and fails as to not act and let happen.

^
Which is simply life in total.
You act, or you are passive.
You are either a maker, or a made one.
Posted By: spectralhunter Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 24/12/20 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Anfindel

LOL. Now that you mention it, I see it now. I'll just add to what others have said. We need more mature, confident companions. Halsin fits the bill. And it seems he's a pretty popular character and I'm not the only one requesting someone like him will be available for your group.

Originally Posted by Phea
...and he's boring, because I saw billion druids like him before, just with smaller muscles x) Plus there is absolutely no place for character arc for him, no reason to change. Yay, interesting.

Support characters don't need to have dramatic changes. They can be councilors and advisors to your character. And of course there's a character arc for him. That Druid Grove is begging for a rescue in future acts depending upon what happened in your run. If a story requires special snowflakes all the time, all it tells me is your world building and character development is boring because you need to come up with random outrageous special problems (see Gale) to maintain an audience's attention.

If Kagha is still alive in your run, then I can easily see her trying to manipulate the new druid that is supposed to take over. Her change seems awfully fake. And all this would happen because Halsin decided, yet again, to pass off his responsibility to the grove. His problem is overconfidence in his actions and decisions; a real and common character flaw.
Posted By: biomag Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 24/12/20 07:36 PM
Haslin so far was by far the most instresting character to me. I'm absolutely in the camp 'thanks, but no thanks to teenage drama'.

His stature also makes me hope that we might be lucky and able to pick more muscular characters - barbarians just look more fun when they can tower the others laugh
Posted By: spectralhunter Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 24/12/20 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by biomag
Haslin so far was by far the most instresting character to me. I'm absolutely in the camp 'thanks, but no thanks to teenage drama'.

His stature also makes me hope that we might be lucky and able to pick more muscular characters - barbarians just look more fun when they can tower the others laugh

Right? First time my character met him it was like, “this guy knows how to get stuff done.” Everyone else I feel like I’m babysitting them.
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 24/12/20 09:31 PM
Larian give us a character that

* dominates every conversation
* refuses healing because it make him seem weak
* views the world through a male / female binary
* insults the party using words like 'girly' or 'womanly'
* brags about sexual conquests
* flys into a rage when masculinity is threatened

please :p
Posted By: JustAnotherBaldu Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 25/12/20 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit

I would like to have at least two optional companion characters that do not feel like they pray to the Goddess Soy'alina please.

It does fit in the current political climate that our 3 male characters are as they are.
° One is a coward that is sneaky and needs finesse, even tho there are big spiky teeth in his sarcastic mouth too.
° The other one gave up lifting very early since you don't need muscles if you are tight with the weave.
° And the last one does not need his Rapier actually. He is mainly relying on infernal aid.

The most masculine character is a Spacepirat "strong independent Wamen".
While the other Woman is wearing medium Armor instead of light and she uses a Shield too, besides her magical attributes.
Always viewed magic more like the feminim way of fighting since lets face it, the average man will always dominate the average Women in pure physical ability.
^
It also makes Women valid fighters in a fantasy world in the first place.
The innate physical limit can be overcome by magical means. Or maybe race. ( Cambions baselevel seems higher as that of mortals, etc. )

The two female story characters have the most "open" and tanky speccs.
Looking back on it, that does feel very forced and politically correct.
At least they do not have horrible SJW like hair, rainbow colored and an "unhealthy bodytype". xD

But yeah a shame that even in a fantasy universe, nobody has started to get ripped that much yet.
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 25/12/20 03:44 AM
Originally Posted by JustAnotherBaldu
I would like to have at least two optional companion characters that do not feel like they pray to the Goddess Soy'alina please.

Good point! I forgot a fondness for right wing phrases in my list.

Okay how about this to add a bid more androgen to the game: Daddy Halsin's side quest.

The evol Goddess Soy'alina has polluted the local milk supply with a substance that is turning the frogs gay. The brave adventurers need to purify the milk with a hormone magical substance that will save the frogs from the horror of homosex. The brave men succeed and, after watching a tastefully rendered frog orgy, Halsin rewards us with special armor made out of lobster shell that can be used by any (male) party member. This armor gives a +1 to charisma and speeds the rate at which one can clean up the camp.
Posted By: YT-Yangbang Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 25/12/20 07:12 AM
Ain't nothing wrong with a bro companion who's a bro and not a whiney gaff.

But you did point out something that does bother me. "The Blade of frontiers"...the dude is useless as a melee fighter. Its like his 3rd considerable skill in my playthroughs. I hate hearing of his melee "blade" prowess and then seeing him look like a chump while my real melee fighter is hacking and slashing.

Hearing the companion comments about the tieflings just being fodder to goblins and not being fit to survive in this harsh world. I'm just like what actually qualifies the city vamp boy and the shielded emo girl to think they're good enough to take on a gobbo army and the wilds. Their story's don't really instill "adventure-esque" material. They sound just as out of place as the tieflings. The only people that sound fit to adventure out with is laezel, gale, and Wyll. Tho Wyll's over upped bravado makes his actual performance prove wanting.
Posted By: Innateagle Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 25/12/20 08:36 AM

Pretty sure that's the average female drow, only reverse.
Posted By: JustAnotherBaldu Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 25/12/20 07:38 PM
@KillerRabbit
Thx that gave me a good laugh. ^^

"The Blade of frontiers"...the dude is useless as a melee fighter. I hate hearing of his melee "blade" prowess and then seeing him look like a chump while my real melee fighter is hacking and slashing.

I wrote about that somewhere else too, yeah.
That Warlocks are totally range-exclusive fighters & their most powerful tactic currently is 'kiting'.

You can do so very well with the flying little Fiend companion. Fly in the back of an enemy, hope there is no red "I see you" field behind it, crouch down, even higher hitchance now and make auto-attack.
While your Warlock is simply falling back constantly, shooting Eldritch Blast.
It is truly... "very powerful" °cough°.

There is no reason for a more Melee oriented Warlock yet, which makes Wyll truly seem like a joke when just looking at how he is called "The Blade".

But then again it makes sense he would try to cover his abilitys up.
When he joins us in the fight over the Grove, he acts "normal" so to say. Appart from Featherfall, he is attacking only with his Rapier.

And I doubt that the effect of "Dark Masters Pact" is supposed to be visible for onlookers.
But people would start to doubt him, if he would use Magic all of a sudden.
He is supposed to be "a Hero that fights without spells" I believe.

And it could make problems when an experienced observer is seeing him using spells, more related to being a Warlock instead of something else.
Reputation is everything after all.
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 12:00 AM
@justanotherbaldu thanks smile

Originally Posted by Innateagle

I think you are right and I think that was intentional. While WotC has been handing on some (deserved) criticism of Gygax' insensitive comments, I do think Gygax was influenced by 70s feminism and made the drow matriarchy into a mirror image / photo negative of a patriarchy.

I don't know if any of the Forgotten Realms authors have really exploited this potential in the lore but it wouldn't be difficult to write a feminist novel using the drow -- want to convince some dude who doesn't understand what all this fuss about patriarchy is about? Write a novel about what it's like to grow up as a a dude in drow society.
Posted By: YT-Yangbang Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 12:11 AM
Drizzt Do'Urden?
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 12:18 AM
Hmm. I don't those novels really exploited that potential. I forget the name of the novel but Salvatore has used one of his novels to talk about wearing a white mask -- left that novel with mixed feelings.
Posted By: Dexai Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 12:18 AM
Egalia's Lolth's Daughters?
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 12:27 AM
I've not a read Egalia's daughters . . . gotta check that out
Posted By: Bruh Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 12:37 AM
made the drow matriarchy into a mirror image / photo negative of a patriarchy.

I don't know if any of the Forgotten Realms authors have really exploited this potential in the lore but it wouldn't be difficult to write a feminist novel using the drow -- want to convince some dude who doesn't understand what all this fuss about patriarchy is about? Write a novel about what it's like to grow up as a a dude in drow society.

Read R.A. Salvatore's books. He wrote extensively about drow society and he wrote a book about what it's like to grow up in drow society. It's called the Darkelf trilogy.
Also it's ridicolous to say that drow matriarchy is a negative photocopy of real life patriarchy, because IRL, men actually love women, while drow women fucking hate everything and everyone who is not them. The religious aspect is even more obvious. IRL, religion is all about cohesion, social values and community, while in a drow matriarchy it's senseless fanaticism, violence, and a pointless struggle for power and one-upwomanship only to appease an unappeasable lolrandom goddess, who will reward you by randomly abandoning you just to see if you can get out of the mess she encouraged you to make.
Posted By: YT-Yangbang Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 12:41 AM
The original trilogy of Drizzt the dark elf is literally all about the madness of the underdark and his home world of (menz-to hard to spell). It paints the literally imagine of the matriarchs and that its purely a world ran by woman and their faith to the spider queen. A book about a woman growing up in that society would have to be pretty good book about intrigue and evil wickedness. Otherwise it just be a gender bender Drizzt.
Posted By: JustAnotherBaldu Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 02:39 AM

Are you sure this new-age FREAKS understand the true core of female empowerment though? Or true female domination that is not just some kinky play?

Meaning: True Feminimity?

Drow females are highclass narcistic temptresses, seductresses and if else, dominatrixes.
But ultimately they understand the concept of feminim beauty and do not try the crazy shit we see in our modern world.
Which translates in all kinds of grotesque ways I do no even want to count here.

Appart from having Elven heritage, a heritage superior in visual beauty and allure as that of almost all other Races,
Drow females use their female allure to influence and conquer Males hearts and minds. For whatever purposes.

Drow society circles around how to have fun with the lesser mal sex or how to use it right. wink

While our real world feminism bullshit is founded on mentally ill hate and rejection of Men "because they oppress the poor Women".
Their beliefes are not based on female oppression or some kind of shady male system that rules in the shadows.
Drow Women would laugh at the idea that Drow males at least are somehow in power and control.

Or that they have to be chained, crippled or completely removed from society even. xD
Some of the demands I have seen on social media are so crazy you wouldn't believe it! grin
Posted By: YT-Yangbang Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 03:20 AM
But to bring it back to the game. I think all races should have a different sense of masculinity and femininity. And all in all, this game needs a health dose of masculinity in one of its companions at the least. Not to be confused with toxic masculinity.
Posted By: Bruh Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 09:53 AM
But to bring it back to the game. I think all races should have a different sense of masculinity and femininity. And all in all, this game needs a health dose of masculinity in one of its companions at the least. Not to be confused with toxic masculinity.
OK then can we remove Laezel for having toxic masculinity? Because she has it.
Posted By: YT-Yangbang Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Bruh
Thats not toxic masculinity friend. She's just racist lol.
Posted By: VeronicaTash Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 11:32 AM

I'm not sure it's racism - though DnD does have a tendency to ascribe a culture to an entire race. But what she brags about is more along the lines of ethnocentrism - to which we would need to have a world where there are multiple cultures for Githyanki to determine if it is couched racism or not. Shadowheart is definitely racist as she uses the slur "flatnose" to refer to githyanki, and Lae-zel shows similar racism in referring to Tieflings as Teeth-lings, but her overall personality strikes me as being focused upon her belief in the superiority of her culture due to her queen - and taught that way to her for control reasons - rather than her belief that her genes make her superior. She berates player Githyanki for not having the same understanding of how everything works - though it is possible her crèche taught her lies (rather than player githyanki not being aware of Githyanki culture). She definitely dominates people, but we see other Githyanki dominate others like that. It comes off as if Githyanki culture, being so focused on martial endeavors, is full of toxic masculinity.
Posted By: YT-Yangbang Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 11:56 AM
They are a ranked structured society as it seemed tho as the dragon knight was directing her as her superior by rank, not as a male to female. I dont think in her culture their is a distinction of male roles to female roles. They are all breed warriors (to what I figured) and its all about rank and prestige to their goddess. Different than in Drow culture where its about rank, prestige, and what sex you are born as. Toxic or tame masculinity or femininity by cultural standards for the gith I don't think exist by how they live. So if not racism than over zealous nationalism. Much like Helots to the Spartans, they were 2nd rate citizens. I figure the gith see all other races as 2nd rate races.

But back to the point, apart from laezel. I think most of the other races have a pretty standard "humanistic" standard of masculinity and femininity that Larian can bring to life(besides the drow and their matriarchies).
Posted By: Bruh Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 12:55 PM

Yes it is toxic masculinity. Laezal does everything that you people love to blame on men.
She constantly needs to dominate every situation, she has to prove herself all the time and show off how she is more competent and more fanatic and more devoted then everybody around her. She is violent, she is entitled and she is unpleasant.
Posted By: fylimar Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 01:46 PM
Why I don't have a problem with the companions we have now, I agree with some here, that Wyll should change class. Everyone is referring of him as the Blade and he is always bragging about his rapier skills. That just does not mix well with the warlock class. I would adjust his back story, that he na be made a deal with a demon for talent or something like that and make him a fighter or rogue. Astarion could as easily be the warlock, it would not change anything about him.
Posted By: biomag Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 02:02 PM
Not a warlock player myself, but wouldn't Wyll's issue be moot once Pact of the Blade is introduced? You could add on top of that a Paladin multiclass and he should be fine in that regard. It's not like you need to play him like a melee fighter, more in a skirmishing role, finishing enemies off with the blade.
Posted By: Bruh Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 02:35 PM
I think Wyll is very much an unfinished character. He is a fiend warlock though, and that's here to stay unless they want to rewrite the whole Mizora thing.
Posted By: Aishaddai Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 03:04 PM
I 100 percent agree. Laezel is the only one with testosterone. Gale is as weak as they come. He might as well hold a magic speaker over his head that only plays "baby come back" on repeat. It's pathetic. Wyll sold his soul to kill a goblin. Can't respect that. He should have sold his soul and become a Paladin of Vengence if was too lazy to do a training montage. I know Karlach is supposed to be the paladin, but she should have been a warlock with a pact with Zariel. It could have been a brand new Baldur's Gate exclusive warlock subclass. It would generate a lot of buzz. She already has a pact etched into her skin, but they want to act like it's paladin stuff. Astarion is a girl in a dude skin. I'm not sure if he chose to become a vampire or not, but if he did he is an idiot. Elf souls reincarnate for as long as the Elf god wants. I heard he was evil before turning so maybe he was already exiled cosmically.

I mean I'll play along, but if anything can be done I'm open to it. I want Baldur's gate to introduce new stuff in addition to the base things. Somehow I doubt WOTC is that cool though. They seem more concerned about political correctness than anything.
Posted By: Nyloth Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Aishaddai
Astarion is a girl in a dude skin.

No. Just no.
Posted By: BuckettMonkey Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 04:24 PM
I know Karlach is supposed to be the paladin, but she should have been a warlock with a pact with Zariel.
Warlocks aren't the only ones making deals with fiends. Oathbreaker and Paladins of Conquest also serve fiends, including the baatezu. Xanathar's Guide to Everything even mentions paladins of conquest serving Bel, the former overlord of Avernus.
a pact with Zariel. It could have been a brand new Baldur's Gate exclusive warlock subclass. It would generate a lot of buzz.
More like a description of a typical Fiend Warlock.
Posted By: VeronicaTash Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 05:13 PM
They are a ranked structured society as it seemed tho as the dragon knight was directing her as her superior by rank, not as a male to female. I dont think in her culture their is a distinction of male roles to female roles. They are all breed warriors (to what I figured) and its all about rank and prestige to their goddess. Different than in Drow culture where its about rank, prestige, and what sex you are born as. Toxic or tame masculinity or femininity by cultural standards for the gith I don't think exist by how they live. So if not racism than over zealous nationalism. Much like Helots to the Spartans, they were 2nd rate citizens. I figure the gith see all other races as 2nd rate races.

But back to the point, apart from laezel. I think most of the other races have a pretty standard "humanistic" standard of masculinity and femininity that Larian can bring to life(besides the drow and their matriarchies).

We define masculinity and femininity as they apply to humans - not other species. Humans and elves would be the same species - as half-elves aren't sterile - but Githyanki were born on another plane of existence and are unlikely to be mammals as they lay eggs - there is no reason to suspect you could have a human/Githyanki hybrid. But their society is very much based upon toxic masculinity - like the Spartans you mention - and if the stories about the Spartans are true and not simply made up by Athenians, then I wouldn't consider the ancient Spartans, not to be confused with their modern descendents who don't act like that, human either in terms of humanity rather than biology. These traits are excessive versions of those commonly caused by how testosterone affects most male human minds - if Githyanki hormones affect all members of their species in the same way it makes sense that none of them would object and they would soon develop it to a toxic nature. Someone like Lae'zel born human would likely consider themselves to be a trans man, but Githyanki biology being different, there is no reason to suspect that Lae'zel considers herself such.
Posted By: Bruh Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 05:16 PM

We define masculinity and femininity as they apply to humans - not other species. Humans and elves would be the same species - as half-elves aren't sterile - but Githyanki were born on another plane of existence and are unlikely to be mammals as they lay eggs - there is no reason to suspect you could have a human/Githyanki hybrid. But their society is very much based upon toxic masculinity - like the Spartans you mention - and if the stories about the Spartans are true and not simply made up by Athenians, then I wouldn't consider the ancient Spartans, not to be confused with their modern descendents who don't act like that, human either in terms of humanity rather than biology. These traits are excessive versions of those commonly caused by how testosterone affects most male human minds - if Githyanki hormones affect all members of their species in the same way it makes sense that none of them would object and they would soon develop it to a toxic nature. Someone like Lae'zel born human would likely consider themselves to be a trans man, but Githyanki biology being different, there is no reason to suspect that Lae'zel considers herself such.

>entire race liberated from slavery by a warrior womyn
>ruled by a lich queen for millenia
>culture somehow ruled by toxic masculinity
Well that just makes sense given how Laezel is just a dude with boobs.
Posted By: VeronicaTash Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 05:41 PM
>entire race liberated from slavery by a warrior womyn
>ruled by a lich queen for millenia
>culture somehow ruled by toxic masculinity
Well that just makes sense given how Laezel is just a dude with boobs.

Because we define masculinity by human standards, not gith standards. By human standards it is men who hunt generally, yet by lion standards it is the women who hunt. Different species have different standards - and when we talk about masculinity we are going to use human standards.
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 06:06 PM
Sure but we should note that the typical pattern, the standard, is not hard coded and so the word 'species' doesn't help very much. There are societies where women hunt more than men and societies where the typical pattern is inverted.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/684127?seq=1

https://ich.unesco.org/en/RL/culture-of-jeju-haenyeo-women-divers-01068
Posted By: JustAnotherBaldu Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 06:14 PM
Because we define masculinity by human standards, not gith standards. By human standards it is men who hunt generally, yet by lion standards it is the women who hunt.
Different species have different standards - and when we talk about masculinity we are going to use human standards.

The Githyanki are the Aliens though in the truest sense of the word. So they will "bow down" grin to our worlds, or rather Fae'run's standarts.
Dunno what those are though. LoL
Drow society is full of "toxic feminimity" too though. grin So its not just the Gith.

I wonder why we talk about this even?
Hopefully not to have a few forum-users (me included) say stuff like Lae'zel is the ideal, most feminim Woman, we want her to step on us and ooooh god is she hot and we love her "deep, brilliant design" so much. grin
Cause that... is not going to happen! grin

Also out of context, but... Alfira spills the beans.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Aishaddai Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Nyloth

No. Just no.

I mean if you are a fan of him then you are a fan of him, but yes he is all feminine. Not a single thing right down to the way he speaks, acts, and carries himself is masculine.

@BuckettMonkey I guess since the franchise has been around for so long they ran out of ideas and decided to just make everything evil. Evil clerics, evil paladins, evil druids(who I thought were suppose to remain neutral), etc. It's whatever I guess. Disappointing really to be quite honest. Is Zariel not special? I know she is not the first angel to join hell but I thought they were different. Like the Difference between and Erinys and a fiend. I know the fallen angels are succubi, Erinys, and Asmodeous(maybe since he is all about lies). I know that they have a choice to turn into true fiends. Are there any more? I'm curious. I've only been following Dnd for like a year or so on and off. I've read a lot of lore but Bg3 has made me pretty distracted to I put my research on hold to focus more on things related to Bg3.
Posted By: Innateagle Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 07:32 PM

No. Just no.

I mean if you are a fan of him then you are a fan of him, but yes he is all feminine. Not a single thing right down to the way he speaks, acts, and carries himself is masculine.

When i played i thought he was a strictly gay romance, to be honest. It'd be kind of interesting if he was, strictly because i wonder if his hyper-effiminate characterization would be seen as offensive then.
Posted By: BuckettMonkey Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 07:33 PM
@BuckettMonkey I guess since the franchise has been around for so long they ran out of ideas and decided to just make everything evil. Evil clerics, evil paladins, evil druids(who I thought were suppose to remain neutral), etc.
And what's the problem with evil druids and priests, for example? The same druids, for the most part, worship nature and the Gods associated with it. And the list of these Gods often includes Talos and Malar. Also, nature itself can be cruel.
Is Zariel not special?
She is as special as Mammon or Baalzebul (By the way, he was also a celestial). The fact that she was once an angel does not distinguish her from the other Lords of the Nine.
Like the Difference between and Erinys and a fiend.
Erinyes are baatezu, fiends. I don't know what difference you are talking about. Of course, in the third edition, the legend was told that the first Erinyes were fallen angels, but now they are only devils. They also had good career opportunities, up to pit fiends. I cannot remember any other unique qualities of Erinyes.
Posted By: A_va Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 08:05 PM
What is this thread, even?

I understand that some people might prefer the standard, stereotyped character over the full-of-nuances one and that's fine. I agree too, having a stereotyped masculine character could add to the story as much as the other companions do. However, I see absolutely no point in complaining about characters having too much backstory, being too feminine or too masculine. What the hell?
First of all, most characters are gonna have their own issues. You can't write a story with only one dimensional beings, otherwise it feels flat and outright bad. That's just not going to happen. Second, being too masculine or feminine is just a matter of perspective - and in the d&d universe I suppose that also varies a lot depending on one's race. Yes, discussing whether the characters presented so far should me more likeable is absolutely right, even though Larian has already said they have only released the 'bad guys' first, and that their alignment will also change in the course of the story. But my point is that this is a sugestions & feedback subforum and there are some heavy personal nitpickings on this thread. This discussion seems pointless and bait-y.
Posted By: Aishaddai Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 08:29 PM
@BuckettMonkey To me the problem is it shifts the balance between good and evil quite a bit in favor of evil. It use to be as a player you play for the good side and you face off and defeat evil. Clerics and Paladins being the pinicle of good. In order to play as evil-ish you had to be a warlock or necromancer. Then it's like you're playing evil against evil. In the end it's a sour victory. Now more evil options are up and it feels wrong. Now some want evil to be everything and fight other evil. To me it's kind of depressing. No more new good classes but many new evil ones. While the adversarys only grow darker. A lot less room to be good these days is all i'm trying to say basically. Hell tieflings(literal hellspawn) have the loudest fan base. Again it's whatever. I'll stick to what Iike.

Being neutral included some cruelty. At least in older editions.

So Zariel is plain then. Its just a recent story but she is nothing special. Ok got it. Disappointing. I thought she was more... something. Oh well.

At least in early editions they had a choice to become devils. They have a high rank but never desire to rise. I know they also can freely realm hop which was a huge boon in hell. If an Erinyes chooses to become a devil they transform to something else and lose that ability. I forgot the name of the fiend. I know they are also the only lawyers who wont cheat you in hell due to the angel part of them. They aren't nice and if you run from hell they are the ones most likely to chase you if you manage to leave hell. Don't know if 5e changed any of this. I wouldn't be suprised really.

The more I learn about 5e the less I like.
Posted By: Bruh Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 09:08 PM
Because we define masculinity by human standards, not gith standards.

As we should. Males of other species are not men, they are males. There is a qualitative difference between males and men.
Also if it's wrong for a man to do X then isn't it also wrong for a woman to do it?
Does gender really matter here? I mean Laezel is a toxic bitchbaby no matter how you slice it but you still somehow insist that men are the problem, when in fact they are the solution that this game so badly needs.
Posted By: Bruh Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by A_va
What is this thread, even?
People telling Larian what they want, and whiny babies shouting them down because they hate men.
Posted By: VeronicaTash Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 10:11 PM
@BuckettMonkey To me the problem is it shifts the balance between good and evil quite a bit in favor of evil. It use to be as a player you play for the good side and you face off and defeat evil. Clerics and Paladins being the pinicle of good. In order to play as evil-ish you had to be a warlock or necromancer. Then it's like you're playing evil against evil. In the end it's a sour victory. Now more evil options are up and it feels wrong. Now some want evil to be everything and fight other evil. To me it's kind of depressing. No more new good classes but many new evil ones. While the adversarys only grow darker. A lot less room to be good these days is all i'm trying to say basically. Hell tieflings(literal hellspawn) have the loudest fan base. Again it's whatever. I'll stick to what Iike.

Evil fights evil all the time - there was a whole alignment system and sometimes you don't want to play the good guy - it gets stale. I've played BG1 and BG2 as both good and evil. I played KOTOR as good, as evil, and as each switching at the midpoint revelation. You don't want to limit people and actual DnD games have mixes of characters.
Because we define masculinity by human standards, not gith standards.

As we should. Males of other species are not men, they are males. There is a qualitative difference between males and men.
Also if it's wrong for a man to do X then isn't it also wrong for a woman to do it?
Does gender really matter here? I mean Laezel is a toxic bitchbaby no matter how you slice it but you still somehow insist that men are the problem, when in fact they are the solution that this game so badly needs.

No one is saying that men are the problem. No one has said that anywhere in this thread nor in any I have seen. You keep throwing that straw man out there - speaking to a fragile masculinity. What this thread is would be people complaining that there aren't enough macho men - the characters don't exude power and dominance except for Lae'zel. Normal people aren't hypermasculine or hyperfeminine - there is a mix. Astarion is an entrenched low noble who dealt with non-manual labor for years before being turned into a puppet - he isn't a warlord noble - this is not a controversial character. Gale is an intellectual and uses his mind rather than body and intimidation. Wyll is plenty masculine in a traditional way. These are realistic personalities. Shadowheart is a bit bitchy, but most of that comes from her being a priestess of Shar and being extremely secretive.
Posted By: Nyloth Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 10:43 PM

It's not that I'm a fan, it's that he's not feminine. He's emotional. It's not the same, I don't see femininity in him. And even if Astarion has some feminine traits, it's not the same as saying "a Girl in a man's skin". Choose your expressions, he is still a male character, and this can be seen not only in his body type.
Posted By: Bruh Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 10:50 PM
snipĐ
Look at that backpedaling lmao.
Stop denying that you hate men, no-one is going to buy it.
Posted By: VeronicaTash Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 10:55 PM
Very mature, Bruh.
Posted By: DragonMaster69 Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 11:14 PM
@justanotherbaldu thanks smile

Originally Posted by Innateagle

I think you are right and I think that was intentional. While WotC has been handing on some (deserved) criticism of Gygax' insensitive comments, I do think Gygax was influenced by 70s feminism and made the drow matriarchy into a mirror image / photo negative of a patriarchy.

Maybe you should take the time to read the first book in R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt series. The first one "Homeland" does a great job of how women are superior to the males and males are used for nothing more than mating, and doing all the menial work and for warfare and such. The women are the rulers. Great book.

Bur now as for the Oriinal topic I couldn't agree more we need more masculine males
Posted By: Zellin Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by Dantrag28
I'm ok with more masculine characters, but not this exact 2. We had this 2 stereotypes hanging around way too long, and I'm quite happy Larian aren't using them.
Posted By: Aishaddai Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 11:34 PM
@Veronicatash See now why do you get bored of being good? It's not about options. Being good is not really something to excite or be bored of. Well......I don't know what to tell you. Anything I say beyond that is pointless so lets agree that we are very different on that front.
Posted By: DragonMaster69 Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 11:38 PM
I 100 percent agree. Laezel is the only one with testosterone. Gale is as weak as they come. He might as well hold a magic speaker over his head that only plays "baby come back" on repeat. It's pathetic. Wyll sold his soul to kill a goblin. Can't respect that. He should have sold his soul and become a Paladin of Vengence if was too lazy to do a training montage. I know Karlach is supposed to be the paladin, but she should have been a warlock with a pact with Zariel. It could have been a brand new Baldur's Gate exclusive warlock subclass. It would generate a lot of buzz. She already has a pact etched into her skin, but they want to act like it's paladin stuff. Astarion is a girl in a dude skin. I'm not sure if he chose to become a vampire or not, but if he did he is an idiot. Elf souls reincarnate for as long as the Elf god wants. I heard he was evil before turning so maybe he was already exiled cosmically.

I mean I'll play along, but if anything can be done I'm open to it. I want Baldur's gate to introduce new stuff in addition to the base things. Somehow I doubt WOTC is that cool though. They seem more concerned about political correctness than anything.

Now I will have to admit that I agree with you when it comes to Astarion and his being a female in dude skin. He's as sweet as they come. Lae'zel isn't afraid to say what's on her mind and that could be a good thing at times. I've yet to see a true Alpha male for a party member. But I guess that is the way for which things are going these days.
Posted By: Bruh Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 26/12/20 11:38 PM
Very mature, Bruh.
Writing walls of text about how you dont really hate men you just hate everything about them isn't really mature either. Maturity would mean you have the spine to just say what you think without the bullcrap.
Posted By: VeronicaTash Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 27/12/20 12:38 AM
@Veronicatash See now why do you get bored of being good? It's not about options. Being good is not really something to excite or be bored of. Well......I don't know what to tell you. Anything I say beyond that is pointless so lets agree that we are very different on that front.

Doing the same thing over and over again is naturally boring to people who have gone beyond the age of toddler. Video games and DnD both provide you an opportunity to explore evil without actually doing evil - and it can be quite entertaining.

Very mature, Bruh.
Writing walls of text about how you dont really hate men you just hate everything about them isn't really mature either. Maturity would mean you have the spine to just say what you think without the bullcrap.

Quote me, word for word, where I actually did that. I did attack toxic masculinity and chauvinism, but never men.
Posted By: Aishaddai Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 27/12/20 12:39 AM

It's not that I'm a fan, it's that he's not feminine. He's emotional. It's not the same, I don't see femininity in him. And even if Astarion has some feminine traits, it's not the same as saying "a Girl in a man's skin". Choose your expressions, he is still a male character, and this can be seen not only in his body type.

I saw your edits lol. Stop. You are making feel like i'm telling you santa does not exist. Let me guess the water godlike was your favorite character from poe since you brought that up? All feminine. You already admitted it and thought I wouldn't catch it. Lol. It's fine. You like feminine traits and find them attractive. I'm not going to torch you, but lets stop with the lies yeah? Otherwise I guess their will be no reason to respond.

@Veronicatash my how condescendingly evil of you. Who said anything about good being monotonous? Seems like you just want an excuse. You do you. You look for evil and you will find it. Last place anyone expects is in a mirror.
Posted By: Bruh Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 27/12/20 12:40 AM
Quote me, word for word, where I actually did that. I did attack toxic masculinity and chauvinism, but never men.
Right here. You associate masculinity with toxicity. You never do that with women even though there are plenty of reasons to do so. This clearly betrays your bias and hatred of men.
Posted By: VeronicaTash Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 27/12/20 12:47 AM
No... that's just your fragile masculinity talking.
Posted By: The Composer Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 27/12/20 01:15 AM
Guys, reel it in - Entirely.

Next one to continue this non-sense (in any shape or form, even if just to agree with this warning) gets a 7-day suspension.
Posted By: Wyrmblade Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 28/12/20 12:58 PM
Couldnt agree more with the OP the companions are one of the biggest flaves in this game. So boring 3 over the top flamboyant bisexuall males whos just trying to get in my pants. The females are a bit better (SH needs a better hairstyle tho). Maybe we could have some characters who are intressting? The vampire needs to be scraped asap guess one of the writers is stuck in her/his/its twilight fantasys.

Rewrite the mage use Xan or Edwin as inspiration so much better then heartbroken teenage fresh woke excuse we got now. Give me mad or powerhungry something i can understand.

Wyll? Worst warlock ever MUHA I AM FAMOUS HERO, WHO WILL SAVE ALL! im also lvl 2 and missplaced my mistress plot twist im a WARLOCK! not a swashbuckler fooled you even tho you have complete controll over me and my abilitys and even leveled me up TWICE! (no plot twist just annoying that he was trying to hide it) Oh and im black so you cant hate me then you are racist. Everything about this character feels so forced.

Next playthrough ill probably never pick them up at all just cant stand them.
Posted By: LukasPrism Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 28/12/20 11:19 PM
Is it likely we’ll have a companion for each class? Hopefully we’ll get a more classic barbarian or paladin to fit OP’s request. I’m down for some good old slightly dense but heart of gold beefy warrior.
Posted By: JustAnotherBaldu Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 29/12/20 01:31 AM
Hahahahahahahahahaha.
Damn this escalated (not) quickly but amusingly.
I think secretely or subconsciously we crave true masculinity after all - as people.
And when not a single person is present to have our fill on it, we end up grumpy and unsatisfied sooner or later.

No... that's just your fragile masculinity talking.

You know what scares me the most about you in particular? The fact that I never know if you write something in honesty or if you are just trolling? xD
Muahahahahahahahahaha.
But seriously sometimes you write such clichee things I see sometimes in the internet in certain circles, I cannot take anything serious anymore. ^^

Hmmmmm, meh.
I think all of the story-male's are kind of a pixie and wanted to become a more feminim race or being in general, yeah.
But they just so happened to end up male and allthough struggeling, I think they are doing the best to come to terms with their biological heritage. grin

Wyll is a polite Noble and you feel it.
Gale is very intellectual Man and you feel it.
Astarion is used to being a pawn of fate and he accepts in a cynical, sarcastical way.
^
If you see it like this, they seem all 100% genuine and correct.

The cringe starts only when you think about how the lack of less empathic and more "naive" masculinity is lived about by Lae'zel of all people. That is when the cringe starts.
Yeah.
And this is why I kill her as soon as I can.
With her around, everything feels like I am chained somewhere in the nine hells for torture.

Cannot accept this kind of behaviour, of a female especially.
Yeah I am kinda sexist.
I want females to be "nice, goodhearted Princesses" of sorts.

Lae'zel is an abomination and
Shadowheart is just annoying and a "Mary Sue" of sorts.
I bet Sassyheart has all the good reason to act the way she does <- and I just couldn't care less.
Posted By: Zarna Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 29/12/20 02:13 AM
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
Is it likely we’ll have a companion for each class? Hopefully we’ll get a more classic barbarian or paladin to fit OP’s request. I’m down for some good old slightly dense but heart of gold beefy warrior.
This is probably something they can easily do, hopefully an origin companion for each. I am hoping for 3 of each class, one of each base alignment as options at some point in the game.

Wyll is a polite Noble and you feel it.
Gale is very intellectual Man and you feel it.
Astarion is used to being a pawn of fate and he accepts in a cynical, sarcastical way.
^
If you see it like this, they seem all 100% genuine and correct.
Agreed.
The cringe starts only when you think about how the lack of less empathic and more "naive" masculinity is lived about by Lae'zel of all people. That is when the cringe starts.
Yeah.
And this is why I kill her as soon as I can.
With her around, everything feels like I am chained somewhere in the nine hells for torture.
This made me laugh. smile One of my characters would probably agree with you. Another would really like her, the rest probably don't care one way or the other. I think her behaviour is more cultural rather than being "masculine" but I can understand how it would irritate people.
Cannot accept this kind of behaviour, of a female especially.
Yeah I am kinda sexist.
I want females to be "nice, goodhearted Princesses" of sorts.
Nothing wrong with having this opinion, a lot of guys do. I think princesses are overrated and kind of boring though. Never wanted to be one even as a child, wanted to be the assassin or the advisor. laugh Hopefully you will get at least one of these "princess" type companions at some point in the game. No way I would use these ones but the option would be there for people like you.
Posted By: Bruh Re: Need More Masculine Characters - 29/12/20 07:08 AM
I think that Halsin will end up being our druid companion. I just don't see avoiding that, and it makes me quite happy. I just don't know how they will turn him into an origin character if he wasn't tadpoled.
© Larian Studios forums