Larian Studios
Posted By: acatlas Patch 4.0 Needed - 13/01/21 07:10 PM
Actual new content is really needed for this currently I havent bothered to revisit or stream this since patch 2 because there was no content added really with patch 3 just not worth playing through when you already played through the game 9 times with 2 partial play through's. I get holding off releasing new content to the game with cyberpunk being released at that time. However were past the holidays and its long long long over due. We really havent had anything new at all added to the game and its a bit disapointing. When we have had content available in the files for a while like were long over due new classes / races / more story content items / gears there are like hundreds of areas could be improved. So far it feels the same contant was in the game day 1 as now there isnt enough of a change to warrant a replay at this point for such a good start and you got smaller studios with less of a budget showing you up on content it doesnt look good. There are so many areas for improvement it would be nice to see something added other than fixes or minor improvements to existing content. So far nothing has been released to expand from the base game which feels like a let down when your 1/3rd of the say through the games supposed live release date.

I have had very positive reviews so far and right now not very impressed we should at least be seeing some news updates leaking in currently in the new year.
Posted By: EstherEloise Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 13/01/21 07:15 PM
+1
Posted By: CJMPinger Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 13/01/21 07:21 PM
I know it is unlikely to, but it would be nice to see vague indications of when the next update will be, something that isn't concrete but like when they drop patch 4 they can say "patch 5 might be in x weeks or so"
Posted By: Scribe Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 13/01/21 08:12 PM
We need a roadmap. Full price for EA is...not a practice I'll ever support again.

We need a roadmap.
Posted By: DragonMaster69 Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 13/01/21 10:15 PM
I'm hoping that when they drop the next update it is in fact that an Update that not only has bug fixes but also more content as well maybe to take us to level 5 or 6 even would be nice.

@Scribe I fully agree with you I don't think that I'll ever pay full price for an EA game again
Posted By: grysqrl Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 13/01/21 10:40 PM
Keep in mind, we are testing; this isn't a finished game. This phase of game design isn't about them showing us what we want to see - it's about us running through what they want tested and giving feedback. Getting the fundamental building blocks right (at which I would say they are currently failing in numerous ways) is pretty important to nail before you start worrying about more content. By limiting the scope of what content we can see, there is less for them to have to rewrite every time they change the basic elements of gameplay.

Would I like to see more content? Eventually, sure. But I don't think that's where they should be focusing their attention right now. Maybe more classes, since some of the bigger issues that are being reported speak directly to class balance; but I think a lot of those issues can be anticipated and addressed without necessarily having to actually play with new classes right now.

Testing is totally voluntary. If you're interested in working on fundamentals, dig in - that's what needs attention right now. If you're not, step away for a while and come back when they release an update that interests you. If that model bothers you, maybe EA isn't for you.
Posted By: Niara Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 13/01/21 11:58 PM
I'm not expecting that we will get any more content at all throughout the EA; we will have this, Act 1, and that is all. That's what they're told us, I'm fairly sure (I don't have a quote, sorry), and it would be a bad idea for them to backtrack on that and show us more game, rather than spending their time and effort getting all of the issues that are currently problems, sorted out. We're not here to 'play the game early'; we're here to test and the give feedback, and generally to help them with our time and data, for free, because we want the game to be polished when it does come out in full.

I would absolutely support a roadmap, and more active communication form Larian about all aspects of this EA; both are fundamental to helping us help them.
Posted By: andreasrylander Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 14/01/21 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by grysqrl
Keep in mind, we are testing; this isn't a finished game. This phase of game design isn't about them showing us what we want to see - it's about us running through what they want tested and giving feedback. Getting the fundamental building blocks right (at which I would say they are currently failing in numerous ways) is pretty important to nail before you start worrying about more content. By limiting the scope of what content we can see, there is less for them to have to rewrite every time they change the basic elements of gameplay.

Would I like to see more content? Eventually, sure. But I don't think that's where they should be focusing their attention right now. Maybe more classes, since some of the bigger issues that are being reported speak directly to class balance; but I think a lot of those issues can be anticipated and addressed without necessarily having to actually play with new classes right now.

Testing is totally voluntary. If you're interested in working on fundamentals, dig in - that's what needs attention right now. If you're not, step away for a while and come back when they release an update that interests you. If that model bothers you, maybe EA isn't for you.

Yeah good points!
Posted By: Scribe Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 14/01/21 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by grysqrl

Yes, the EA model comically is having your user base become testers who have PAID YOU (in this case a full AAA price point) for the privilege of being a beta tester.

That's frankly unreal. I got sucked in by 2 things.

1. The Name.
2. A good search showing it was 'released' in October.

My bad, my poor research. I own it 100%.

We absolutely should be getting MEANINGFUL feedback around here, and a content roadmap.

Race options?
Classes?
Subclasses?
Model updates?
Spells?

That doesn't even touch the big one. Rules implementation.

It's actually comical to me that EA is even a thing, but hey, I'm the sucker that paid full price to beta test. :p
Posted By: DragonMaster69 Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 14/01/21 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by Niara
I'm not expecting that we will get any more content at all throughout the EA; we will have this, Act 1, and that is all. That's what they're told us, I'm fairly sure (I don't have a quote, sorry), and it would be a bad idea for them to backtrack on that and show us more game, rather than spending their time and effort getting all of the issues that are currently problems, sorted out. We're not here to 'play the game early'; we're here to test and the give feedback, and generally to help them with our time and data, for free, because we want the game to be polished when it does come out in full.

I would absolutely support a roadmap, and more active communication form Larian about all aspects of this EA; both are fundamental to helping us help them.

I've never seen anything posted that we would only see act 1 in the EA I do remember seeing that there would be bug fixes and game content added until the game was completed in a year. or so. If I knew that it wasn't' true I probably would have thought twice about an EA game
Posted By: Niara Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 14/01/21 12:16 AM
I don't know for certain, that's just in my mind as information that we have. I could be mistaken. Someone who is more certain may well correct me.
Posted By: IrenicusBG3 Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 14/01/21 01:15 AM
People don't learn what pressing developers do.

It is on the Steam official page the content will be Act 1 only through EA. We will get classes and that's all.

Let them finish the game.
Posted By: Scribe Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 14/01/21 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3

It is on the Steam official page the content will be Act 1 only through EA. We will get classes and that's all.

When?
Posted By: RUNICBLACK Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 14/01/21 01:54 AM
I would be ok with giving us access to some of the other classes (without having to use a Mod which may or may not be an accurate representation of the class) or give us the ability to multiclass. Yes I would of course like more content but giving us access to more of the classes and or the ability to do multiclassing would also allow for testing in other ways than we have available presently without compromising more of the story.
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 14/01/21 02:45 AM

I largely agree that we don't want to push for an early release. If it takes 2 years to create successor the best RPG ever made, it does. But:

1) dataminers have told us that there is a 1a and 1b. So I'm expecting 1b at some point
2) I think they should revisit the decision to only release 1. I enjoyed Arx in DOS2 but apparently that's only because I came to the game late -- apparently they needed to revise Arx after release. It would be better if they didn't repeat that.
3) they want to keep us playing. I've almost exhausted my ability to replay the same areas . . .
Posted By: Evandir Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 14/01/21 05:59 AM
I don't get why people keep bringing up the $60 for EA thing. For one thing, they were very upfront about it being EA. For another thing, you haven't even been swindled out of anything. You preordered the game. You own it. When the game releases, you won't have to spend another cent to play it.

Until it releases, you get to take what's ready to play, out for a test drive. If you aren't enjoying what's currently ready, you can give constructive feedback to help Larian fix it or make it better; or you can even just forget about the game and come back when it releases.
Posted By: Scribe Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 14/01/21 06:10 AM
Originally Posted by Evandir
I don't get why people keep bringing up the $60 for EA thing. For one thing, they were very upfront about it being EA. For another thing, you haven't even been swindled out of anything. You preordered the game. You own it. When the game releases, you won't have to spend another cent to play it.

Until it releases, you get to take what's ready to play, out for a test drive. If you aren't enjoying what's currently ready, you can give constructive feedback to help Larian fix it or make it better; or you can even just forget about the game and come back when it releases.

You used to get beta's for free. wink
Posted By: CJMPinger Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 14/01/21 07:19 AM
I think this case the EA is fine because they were upfront about everything, if they hid that the game was incomplete it would be bad.
but I think the EA should be extended to 2 years or so and involve us in more than just act 1
Posted By: Hilarian Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 14/01/21 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
I think this case the EA is fine because they were upfront about everything, if they hid that the game was incomplete it would be bad.
but I think the EA should be extended to 2 years or so and involve us in more than just act 1
I doubt it would be good to do it. You already see how impatient people are with patch when it's like a year or so. Make it too early would mean that the game become even more buggy and unfinished, making it even less playable for some. There are game breaking bugs and crashes when the game first released already. Plus, the long duration of EA vs full game would create a cool down and decrease the hype when the full game comes around. It's fine as it is for me. EA shouldn't be too long.
Posted By: grysqrl Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 14/01/21 08:06 AM
I do think that sharing a roadmap and details about "here's what we're testing right now, in particular" might help to set expectations of testers a little better.
Posted By: IrenicusBG3 Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 14/01/21 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit

I largely agree that we don't want to push for an early release. If it takes 2 years to create successor the best RPG ever made, it does. But:

1) dataminers have told us that there is a 1a and 1b. So I'm expecting 1b at some point
2) I think they should revisit the decision to only release 1. I enjoyed Arx in DOS2 but apparently that's only because I came to the game late -- apparently they needed to revise Arx after release. It would be better if they didn't repeat that.
3) they want to keep us playing. I've almost exhausted my ability to replay the same areas . . .

If they release the whole game at EA it will be even longer to address all feedback. Plus, the pressure to keep adding content by players will be the same. Will keep asking for DLCs, complaining there is no reason to play the full game at final release etc....

I think they have enough material for now and I really hope they keep what they said.
Posted By: acatlas Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 14/01/21 11:42 PM
It would be nice to have access to more of the classes and maybe a few extra levels in early access as well as races they had said we would be getting more content after the holidays in the prior patch which had expectations of classes and stuff being added so right now feels like were far behind. the original indication as well was there was alot to be added through out early access. So far there has been nothing added just like a demo of the game released. Early access indicates we are getting access and testing the content as it is released. But road maps like with dates even if they are pushed back would be nice. Companies do that frequently where they are like we dont want to provide dates cause the community will be upset if we cannot make that date. Personally Id rather hear hey we plan to release this on Febuary 2nd. They get to the 1st they realize they cant make the deadline. Hey guys sorry we have problems with releasing the barbarian class we have been running into some issues with a b c we will be another week or 2 before release as we do not want to release a product that is not functional or may impact your play. We thank you for your patience. We are also working on a release for the sorcerer which will be closer to march 29th. Lil things like that show a big difference and commitment to the community. It is nice seeing that stuff it was also nice seeing the demos for the content from the studio a little prior to it coming to us so we had something to look forward to like prior to the content release even when it is buggy. It was like a little teaser.
Posted By: Scribe Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 15/01/21 12:11 AM
All the Classes.
All the Races.

At that point I would like to see them correct some of the issues within the implementation of the rules, and allow for Buffs/Debuffs and such to be reviewed in that light.

I dont need to see every sub-class, or race variant, but some feedback being implemented would go a long way.
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 15/01/21 07:11 AM
I'll be glad if patch 4 introduce new items and if combats are reworked.

I'd definitely play the game again without all those highground/backstab advantages, without the need of always jump/disengage and a better D&D implementation.
A few new actions would be cool too (ready, dodge).
Posted By: EstherEloise Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 15/01/21 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I'll be glad if patch 4 introduce new items and if combats are reworked.

I'd definitely play the game again without all those highground/backstab advantages, without the need of always jump/disengage and a better D&D implementation.
A few new actions would be cool too (ready, dodge).

That's something a single patch can't "fix"
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 15/01/21 07:22 AM
Same s**t as last time ...
"I wanted to make money on streaming your game, but people are bored looking at my streams now ... create something new so i can start making money again without need to make any effort of my own." -_-

Funny that some streamers like Wolfheart are still interesting, even if there is no new content ... coincidence? I think not!
Posted By: Mat22 Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 15/01/21 07:29 AM
+1 waiting for combat rule tweaks, i would definitely replay/test the whole thing with revised action economy (already mentioned things like jump/disengage, swapping weapons and digging in inventory, hiding, shoving) and maybe some extra actions (ready, dodge, new reactions). Not expecting all of these implemented at once but a start and some kind of info which direction they want to go with these (i would be perfectly okay if rules could be altered by some toggles on a difficulty panel to satisfy both hardcore players and players who mostly play for the story).
Posted By: Nyloth Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 15/01/21 11:21 AM
You guys... Give them time.

I think I've already written about this somewhere, but I'm only waiting for fixes. The last patch, unfortunately, broke a lot of things.
Posted By: booboo Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 15/01/21 12:18 PM
It is now 'after the holidays' for most people I know...so some official news about Patch 4 and what it contains would be good. I have no desire to play through again until they fix their rules implementation at least (or the worst parts of it) and provide a level bump and more classes. I am resigned to what we have seen as being all of Act I (unless someone knows otherwise - which is disappointing), so I assume new quests/world content won't be arriving. It would be nice to see some response to the many many issues people have raised about the game rules systems, controls, UI etc - Solasta (yes, I said it again wink issues regular updates for their EA and justifies every little change (explains why they can/can't do things) and actually provides feedback on user suggesions (many of which they have implemented). That's real community engagement and transparency. Even though I'm disappointed at some things they can't provide, that is outweighed by these other aspects.
Posted By: fylimar Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 15/01/21 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Same s**t as last time ...
"I wanted to make money on streaming your game, but people are bored looking at my streams now ... create something new so i can start making money again without need to make any effort of my own." -_-

Funny that some streamers like Wolfheart are still interesting, even if there is no new content ... coincidence? I think not!

Uh, I love Wolfheart, how he brings in a lot of lore as background for his videos. His Lae'zel video is basically a githyanki crash course, for example. He reminds me a bit of Outstar, who does the same with Vampire Bloodlines and WoD lore. Those kind of videos never get boring.

As for the topic: I don't need more story atm, I think, they should rather adress the bugs and glitches. What I do want to try are new classes, druid and bard for example. I think the druids must already be implemented, because of the npcs. Probably the same with bards (Alfira) and paladins (Karlach and the one guy from the party that hunts her).
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 15/01/21 02:28 PM
I have a feeling.
In a few minutes the patch will be online.
Posted By: Dregnor Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 15/01/21 02:47 PM
I have a feeling.

The big question then, character purge again?
Posted By: flick40 Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 15/01/21 04:07 PM
I have a feeling.

I believe Patch days have historically been Tuesdays. But we could be surprised.
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 15/01/21 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by flick40
I have a feeling.

I believe Patch days have historically been Tuesdays. But we could be surprised.

Tuesday, wednesday and friday. I checked earlier.
But now it's too late. Larian's employees are at home for the weekend.

My cristal ball is broken.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 15/01/21 04:54 PM

I don't believe you nailed the prediction, anyway, but about being "too late" as far as I remember they always released their patches around 19:00 (or 7pm, if you prefer).
Posted By: Evandir Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 15/01/21 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tuco

I don't believe you nailed the prediction, anyway, but about being "too late" as far as I remember they always released their patches around 19:00 (or 7pm, if you prefer).

What timezone are you going by on that 19:00?
Posted By: EstherEloise Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 15/01/21 07:18 PM

I guess CEST, since that's Valve update time in CEST.
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 15/01/21 09:32 PM
I'm guessing sometime in early February. I think steam first updated around the 4th -- meaning the employees got a Xmas break and so it's only been a few a weeks of work time since the last patch dropped.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 16/01/21 05:11 AM

Oh yeah, I sort of forgot to mention the reference point.
Yes, I was going by Central Europe Time +1 (Rome, Paris, etc).
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 16/01/21 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by fylimar
Uh, I love Wolfheart, how he brings in a lot of lore as background for his videos. His Lae'zel video is basically a githyanki crash course, for example.
Exactly my point ... he is living proof that you can even now create interesting gameplays without next patch content.

He reminds me a bit of Outstar, who does the same with Vampire Bloodlines and WoD lore.
Yeah, loved her ... back in the days she was releasing regulary.
Then they hired her ... and it was end. frown

It seem funny when i see pople here complaining about Larian being "not transparent enough" ... and then i return to Bloodlines forum, where we didnt get even single update for more than half year. laugh

As for the topic: I don't need more story atm, I think, they should rather adress the bugs and glitches. What I do want to try are new classes, druid and bard for example. I think the druids must already be implemented, because of the npcs. Probably the same with bards (Alfira) and paladins (Karlach and the one guy from the party that hunts her).
As i allready said elsewhere, i believe that is right thing to do ...
First repair what you allready have ...
Then repair what your first repair broke ... (repeat few times probably laugh )
Then add another things to existing and at least somehow working world ...
And then, only then ... there is right time to expand that world.
Posted By: FelLich Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 17/01/21 12:59 AM
I'm looking forward to when they release their changes to the "evil" path, new classes/races will also be fine. After Cyberpunk though, I'm perfectly happy with them taking as much time as needed and not talking about hopes and dreams.
Posted By: MrQ Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 17/01/21 01:57 AM
I picked up Solasta last month and I am MUCH happier with the more frequent updates. They are also more open about what's going on, plus they respond to their customers on their questions about why some things aren't in the game yet and some that will not be in a detailed and respectful manner. (Plus their combat is a hella lot more fun for the more technical D&D player) I have had two updates since I bought that game, Baldur's Gate has had...none. And I bought it a month before Solasta and payed twice as much.

I feel that the devs here need to be more open with us on the roadmap, scheduled updates, and hotfixes for the game. It seems they were putting out updates frequently after the October release, but now, nothing.

Come on Larian, we need some communication on what's going on, you owe us that...
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 17/01/21 02:59 AM
If I could get my money back on BG3 I'd throw it at Tactical Adventures for actually providing a good EA experience that actually feels like a 5e D&D game.
Posted By: FelLich Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 17/01/21 03:29 AM
In defense of the current lack of communication Mid December to Mid January is pretty dead for most, on and off holidays, January in general is typically a dead month as things are just starting back up. Plus we have the added joy of the ongoing gift that is Covid.
Posted By: RUNICBLACK Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 17/01/21 04:49 AM
Originally Posted by MrQ
I picked up Solasta last month and I am MUCH happier with the more frequent updates. They are also more open about what's going on, plus they respond to their customers on their questions about why some things aren't in the game yet and some that will not be in a detailed and respectful manner. (Plus their combat is a hella lot more fun for the more technical D&D player) I have had two updates since I bought that game, Baldur's Gate has had...none. And I bought it a month before Solasta and payed twice as much.

I feel that the devs here need to be more open with us on the roadmap, scheduled updates, and hotfixes for the game. It seems they were putting out updates frequently after the October release, but now, nothing.

Come on Larian, we need some communication on what's going on, you owe us that...

While Solasta does look good you have to remember that they are not operating using the full Players Handbook they are using the Open Gaming License so unless that changes classes like the Warlock and races like Tieflings aren't happening and so far they have no plans to make it multiplayer or allowing multiclassing. If your ok with that going in thats great, after all it still looks like a decent game but don't expect those things to become available or complain when they aren't part of the game, now that being said they have commented that when Modding starts happening anything is possible but of course you are using those at your own risk per say
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 17/01/21 07:38 AM
I agree that Larian should give us some kind of roadmap.

The EA begin 3 months ago. Nothing really happen except a few tweak and fix. That's fine, but I'd like to know when we can expect new content, which content they plan for EA and what they plan to improve those bad combats and bad D&D rules/action economy implementation.
Posted By: Dexai Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 17/01/21 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by RUNICBLACK
While Solasta does look good you have to remember that they are not operating using the full Players Handbook they are using the Open Gaming License so unless that changes classes like the Warlock and races like Tieflings aren't happening and so far they have no plans to make it multiplayer or allowing multiclassing. If your ok with that going in thats great, after all it still looks like a decent game but don't expect those things to become available or complain when they aren't part of the game, now that being said they have commented that when Modding starts happening anything is possible but of course you are using those at your own risk per say

Sidenote, but both Tieflings and Warlocks are in under the OGL.
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 17/01/21 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by RUNICBLACK
Originally Posted by MrQ

Which means what, exactly? Larian is currently "operating using the full Player's Handbook" and there have been 10 threads a week for the past 4 months pointing out that the game still somehow doesn't feel like 5e, or D&D at all for that matter. Tactical Adventures did substantially more with Solasta only having a fraction of the resources, and that game is also in EA.

It's about design philosophy and community engagement. Make all of the excuses for Larian that you'd like, but 6 weeks without even a peep? A minor social media check-in to say "Hey, something's coming down the pipeline soon" would be keeping their reputation in better shape. At this point I'd sign an agreement that says that I could never play another Larian game again if I could get back my original $60, and I've been a fan of the company for two decades. The lack of updates around a holiday is somewhat understandable, but a complete lack of communication is unacceptable.

But hey, these things come in waves and we all know that the moment the next hotfix or patch drops, the "YOU SEE? THEY'RE LISTENING! DON'T YOU FEEL LIKE A FOOL?" camp is going to pipe up, and most of the people who are mad will get a reset on their complaints and will revisit that anger after another 6-8 weeks of silence.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 18/01/21 08:57 AM
6 weeks of silence, where at least 2 weeks was holidays ... oh you poor little sad thing. laugh
Im waiting for some update for Bloodlines 2 for more than 8 months, more than a year and half if you dont count irelevant developer diaries that have zero information value about game itself ... and there was even whole lead team fired and replaced with people with questionable reputation from other unsucesfull projects, like Mass Effect: Andromeda ... that game costs me 90$, and there is weekly stream of dozen other games released under the same studio ... so all they need to do is simply allow Outstar to tell us something there ... we were promised thrice the release date so far, and we dont even know why are they keep delaying it.

My point is: Believe me, it could be much, much, and even much worse. laugh
Posted By: Tuco Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 18/01/21 10:56 AM
6 weeks of silence, where at least 2 weeks was holidays ... oh you poor little sad thing. laugh
Im waiting for some update for Bloodlines 2 for more than 8 months, more than a year and half if you dont count irelevant developer diaries that have zero information value about game itself ... and there was even whole lead team fired and replaced with people with questionable reputation from other unsucesfull projects, like Mass Effect: Andromeda ... that game costs me 90$, and there is weekly stream of dozen other games released under the same studio ... so all they need to do is simply allow Outstar to tell us something there ... we were promised thrice the release date so far, and we dont even know why are they keep delaying it.

My point is: Believe me, it could be much, much, and even much worse. laugh
While I don't entirely disagree with the sentiment, I'm not sure it's a fitting comparison.
For one, Bloodlines 2 looks like it's going to be a complete trainwreck so far, so I wouldn't point it as a proper example of anything...
That aside, it's also not sold in early access (yet?) so they have definitely less obligations about keeping their audience up to date.
Posted By: gaymer Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 18/01/21 01:18 PM
I think patch will be in February due to time off for holidays. I wonder what small part of day 1 EA buyers are still playing this game now.

Larian has to have some of the remaining 6 classes or new subclasses added in every 2021 patch in a staggered rollout. EA testing is about finding bugs and glitches and we've only tested a very small part of skills and combinations and mechanics.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 18/01/21 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by gaymer
I think patch will be in February due to time off for holidays. .
I mean, that MAY be the case, but theoretically from this point on every day is potentially a good one for the release.
It could be in the next few hours for all we know.
Posted By: Capt.Wells Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 18/01/21 02:41 PM
I have no prior experience playing with early access games like this and do not even know if this type of thing is semi-common? I previously played rpgs on console and have played none at all on pc. I picked up Stadia and a Stadia controller to give BG3 a spin on my smart tv using Chromecast and I do like this game a lot. I see a very good and playable game in the offing and am trying to work through any and all difficulties that are a part of early access.

That being said, some things within the game are impossible for me on Stadia such as collecting the Druid Grove rewards from Rath for instance. I can not combine items on Stadia, supposedly since I do not have keyboard and mouse capabilities. To me that is something requiring a fix! I also find virtually no forum for support issues available to me for this game on Stadia? It's like "well, we'll gladly sell you this game for you to play around with on Stadia, but the testing feedback that we are considering is from the pc community and perhaps Steam or Gog .... not so much the few of you who foolishly opted to get this on Stadia?'

Maybe that will change, but I've pointed out in a number of ways and forums that prior to patch #3, character creation worked like a charm for me and the patch utterly bollixed that whole menu up. My saves were erased by that patch too and ever since that patch, the most obvious thing that has plagued me is that my characters do not level up, with all of them still at level one, no matter where they are within the story. Right now I have a tiefling fighter that has utterly wiped out the goblin camp and killed their leaders freeing Halsin in the process and all other content in between. He's just breached the Underdark fort and gotten wiped out by the minotaurs, something that I have to believe would be a bit less impossible, if he were not perpetually a level one fighter?
Posted By: booboo Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 18/01/21 02:43 PM
I think patch will be in February due to time off for holidays. I wonder what small part of day 1 EA buyers are still playing this game now.

Larian has to have some of the remaining 6 classes or new subclasses added in every 2021 patch in a staggered rollout. EA testing is about finding bugs and glitches and we've only tested a very small part of skills and combinations and mechanics.

I stopped playing more than a month ago - and I joined the EA late. I won't return unless it's actually 'worth it' - why play essentially the same stuff over and over? Well, I mean it helps Larian, but I have other games to play and the Real World (TM) to deal with. 'ain't got time' They need to incentivize players if they want to get more feedback. The deafening silence is not reassuring - it's like they ignore the comunity until a patch/update is released. That's not the way to involve people , in my opinion, at any rate. And reliance of analytics to motivate game balancing/design is a poor substitute for actual people. It would be great to see some designated Larian interface person (redshirt? the community can be vicious, but with a title like this, that was always going to be the case...choose someone with a thick skin and AC20+) patrolling the forums to enage and answer questions, comment on suggestions/critiques, show us some of their thinking etc ....if they are here, they're being very discreet hehe
Posted By: Nyloth Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 18/01/21 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by booboo

I stopped playing more than a month ago - and I joined the EA late. I won't return unless it's actually 'worth it' - why play essentially the same stuff over and over? Well, I mean it helps Larian, but I have other games to play and the Real World (TM) to deal with. 'ain't got time' They need to incentivize players if they want to get more feedback. The deafening silence is not reassuring - it's like they ignore the comunity until a patch/update is released. That's not the way to involve people , in my opinion, at any rate. And reliance of analytics to motivate game balancing/design is a poor substitute for actual people. It would be great to see some designated Larian interface person (redshirt? the community can be vicious, but with a title like this, that was always going to be the case...choose someone with a thick skin and AC20+) patrolling the forums to enage and answer questions, comment on suggestions/critiques, show us some of their thinking etc ....if they are here, they're being very discreet hehe

To be honest, they have already a lot of feedback and it seems to me that they already have a lot of work to do if they want to change something. Big changes require more time, and guys ask for a patch every 15 days.... But I understand those ppl who want to see road map. Communication with the community is important, I would just like to know what they are working on, what they want to change.
Posted By: Hilarian Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 18/01/21 04:31 PM
I feel like even if they did say something, it would just be lips service. Externally, they can't address it outside of "we're listening". They have the right to remain silent. Anything they say can and will be used against them on twitter. Just look at Cyberpunk, people dissect every little statement. That's why even if they did say something, it's just gonna be "they're coming", "we hear what you're saying". At the end of the day, we're just ending up in the same place except hearing generic statements. It comes when it comes, even if they did say something, it still wouldn't change the speed. Many of the developers in general avoid road map. Road map creates expectations on the players as well as potentially rushing developers. We end up with a product that satisfy no one.
Posted By: Nyloth Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 18/01/21 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Hilarian
I feel like even if they did say something, it would just be lips service. Externally, they can't address it outside of "we're listening". They have the right to remain silent. Anything they say can and will be used against them on twitter. Just look at Cyberpunk, people dissect every little statement. That's why even if they did say something, it's just gonna be "they're coming", "we hear what you're saying". At the end of the day, we're just ending up in the same place except hearing generic statements. It comes when it comes, even if they did say something, it still wouldn't change the speed. Many of the developers in general avoid road map. Road map creates expectations on the players as well as potentially rushing developers. We end up with a product that satisfy no one.

This is also true. People are impatient ^ ^
Posted By: spectralhunter Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 18/01/21 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Nyloth

I am surprised people are demanding updates and patches. Now if this were a completed game I can understand the complaining and wanting bugs to be fixed.

The only expectation I had was perhaps a patch every few months and hopefully some changes due to suggestions by those who are playing in EA. I don’t expect Larian to cater to my every demand or expect regular updates to the game.

You are not obligated to test this game. Nor is Larian obligated to provide regular patches throughout EA.
Posted By: booboo Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 18/01/21 05:45 PM
I just think for a company this big and established, they could engage their community a little more. Tactical Games (Solasta) are tiny, so may be easier for them, but they make a concerted effort to engage their EA partcipants and it's a pleasure to see them take suggestons on board, even ones that had them redesign a major home-brewed part of their 5E game.

As it stands the things Larian have tweaked to date (beyond bug fixes) seem quite minor and there are serious issues with their current interpretation of 5E which concern many people. Isn't EA about gathering feedback from the EA participants? If so, surely they should acknowledge that feedback and provide some information on how they plan to improve the game, based on that feedback, through regular updates. That seems completely reasonable. Going silent for long periods does not inspire confidence - that, along with the small changes to date, suggest they aren't really paying serious attention to the player base, and perhaps looking almost exclusively at their player analytics. I guess we'll see soon enough if they have been listening to the more lengthy debates on these forums.
Posted By: Scribe Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 18/01/21 05:51 PM
I just think for a company this big and established, they could engage their community a little more. Tactical Games (Solasta) are tiny, so may be easier for them, but they make a concerted effort to engage their EA partcipants and it's a pleasure to see them take suggestons on board, even ones that had them redesign a major home-brewed part of their 5E game.

As it stands the things Larian have tweaked to date (beyond bug fixes) seem quite minor and there are serious issues with their current interpretation of 5E which concern many people. Isn't EA about gathering feedback from the EA participants? If so, surely they should acknowledge that feedback and provide some information on how they plan to improve the game, based on that feedback, through regular updates. That seems completely reasonable. Going silent for long periods does not inspire confidence - that, along with the small changes to date, suggest they aren't really paying serious attention to the player base, and perhaps looking almost exclusively at their player analytics. I guess we'll see soon enough if they have been listening to the more lengthy debates on these forums.

Design by analytics has to be one of the most mind numbing ideas I have ever seen.

"Players do what is effective, lets focus on that."

Anyone who has ever been a gamer can tell you what that does.
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 18/01/21 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by spectralhunter

I am surprised people are demanding updates and patches. Now if this were a completed game I can understand the complaining and wanting bugs to be fixed.

The only expectation I had was perhaps a patch every few months and hopefully some changes due to suggestions by those who are playing in EA. I don’t expect Larian to cater to my every demand or expect regular updates to the game.

You are not obligated to test this game. Nor is Larian obligated to provide regular patches throughout EA.

We're playing the EA to give feedback and to see how the game evolve before its release. Why shouldn't we demand update or, at least more communication...?

Isn't sharing and expectations the main purpose of a (60$) EA ?

But I'm sure the next update is going to come soon.
Posted By: spectralhunter Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 18/01/21 06:46 PM
We're playing the EA to give feedback and to see how the game evolve before its release. Why shouldn't we demand update or, at least more communication...?

Sharing feedback and suggestions is fine and is the purpose of EA. Asking for new content because you are bored of what's available, to me, isn't. This is not a complete game nor is it a slow rollout of the full game. It's a testing phase as well as an opportunity for Larian to showcase their product. Even if Larian decided not to patch further until full release, that'd be fine. Sure, they risk going forward with a lot of mistakes and systems a lot of players will hate but it's their prerogative.

I have been very critical of Larian and I can't believe I'm defending them right now. If they choose to ignore the forum posters (which by the way is a very very small minority) then it's up to them. Ultimately I can choose to stop reporting bugs and testing their game. There's plenty to do elsewhere. I hope BG3 becomes great but it's not a huge deal if it isn't. I'll just learn not to purchase another EA from Larian again.

I'm just saying Larian is not obligated to do anything right now.
Posted By: Scribe Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 18/01/21 06:58 PM
No of course not, but sitting behind the anti-consumer practice of a full price EA and saying 'we never said we would do anything after this' is...farcical.

Its actually comical, that we used to get better products for free as a Beta, than this full price Alpha.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 19/01/21 09:11 AM
While I don't entirely disagree with the sentiment, I'm not sure it's a fitting comparison.
I didnt compare games, just attitude of (absent?) marketing departments. wink

I believe that if gaming industry should learn anything from cyberpunk, its that marketing sells. And keeping in touch with your audience is allways good move.
I dont think that state of game, or "being in EA" is relevant in this case.
Some can deal with this task better, some not so good ... and some (yes, Paradox i look at you again) much, much and even much worse then horribly.

Also, lets be honest with each other ... even if we get update every month, there would be people who would demand it every 2 weeks ... and if we get update every 2 weeks, there would be people who would demand it every week ... and i presume you get the picture. smile

Two notes:
1) If it is, I don't know that they would prevent anyone from doing so.
2) I wonder why people keep repeating that cost ... it would make sence if that would be actualy cost only for EA and you would need to either pay more when its going to be released, or buy finished game again ... but you dont, you allready own the full game, you are just allowed to play beta before release for free. O_o
Posted By: feedback_wizard Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 19/01/21 12:34 PM
They should take all the time they need. Act I and Act 2 were great in DOS2, however Act 3 and Act 4, the quality dropped significantly. I fully expect the later acts to be a little less fleshed out than what we currently have, after all there aren't as many testers because we only get to play Act 1.

However keep in mind that the existing game already faces a lot of criticism since day 1:

The evil storyline is bad. Siding with the Goblins is poorly written, lacks any incentive, makes no sense and has terrible rewards and likely less content because you kill Tieflings that would otherwise make it to Baldurs gate.

They need to add more npcs favouring the evil storyline, why would anyone decide against helping the grove, after all thats where 99% of players end up going first? And unlike the goblins they won't need dice checks to not get attacked.

The balance is simply terrible:

Candle dip is free and unlimited dip in fire, makes poison bottles obsolete.

Food, Scrolls, healing potionts are too abundant. Food acts as better healing than healing potions during combat.
The game has way too many scrolls, Mages surpass all other casters because they can learn any spell. The headband of intellect is overpowered and causes players to cheat up to 10 stat points of intellect.

The magic items like Circlet of Scorchin ray uses intelligence instead of the Warlock casting stat Charisma, which means its terrible for Warlocks, which would really want an item for more spell casts. All magic items which grant spells should be equally viable by using your characters casting stat.

Shove, Jump is OP. Attacks of opportunity can always be negated and free backstab is always possible due to using jump behind enemy.

The entire resting system needs a big rework.

Short rests are obsolete because Long rests are still unlimited, which makes no sense. Long rests must be limited in some way. On the other hand, a ton of story is tied to long rests, some of these should maybe play out in short rests. At this point players are long resting not because they need to, but because they want to experiecne the story and they would miss out on it otherwise.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 19/01/21 09:28 PM
Oh my ... another one. -_-
Posted By: daMichi Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 19/01/21 09:42 PM

And rightfully so.
Posted By: Scribe Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 19/01/21 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by daMichi

And rightfully so.

Almost as if there are commonly identified faults that should be acknowledged and addressed.
Posted By: Lilybun Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 20/01/21 08:44 AM
Why shouldn't we demand update or, at least more communication...?
So you don't get upset when all the things they blabbered on about while communicating profusely don't end up making it to the next patch or the final product. Surely the fate of cyberpunk made the concept of overpromise and under-deliver very obvious to everyone. Pushing out half-baked updates doesn't help anyone and will make the development process less efficient, pushing out a patch is no small project on its own and neither is meaningful community interaction. Even if you hire a guy to do nothing but talk to the community you're taking time off of everyone else's day to find out what they're doing and how far along they are, and that's ignoring the first thing I said about giving false hope and empty promises/implications.

Better for them to take their time and meet their internal development goals, documentations and deadlines rather than bored forum users demands.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 20/01/21 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Scribe
Almost as if there are commonly identified faults that should be acknowledged and addressed.
Not sure about that ...
Especialy since its the same person repeating the same over and over.

We have few experts of CtrlC + CtrV technique around here. :-/
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 20/01/21 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Lilybun
Why shouldn't we demand update or, at least more communication...?
So you don't get upset when all the things they blabbered on about while communicating profusely don't end up making it to the next patch or the final product. Surely the fate of cyberpunk made the concept of overpromise and under-deliver very obvious to everyone. Pushing out half-baked updates doesn't help anyone and will make the development process less efficient, pushing out a patch is no small project on its own and neither is meaningful community interaction. Even if you hire a guy to do nothing but talk to the community you're taking time off of everyone else's day to find out what they're doing and how far along they are, and that's ignoring the first thing I said about giving false hope and empty promises/implications.

Better for them to take their time and meet their internal development goals, documentations and deadlines rather than bored forum users demands.

Don't get me wrong.

I totally agree that they should take their time.
I'm fine with a release in 2023 or more, the game has many things going wrong according to me so yes, take your time to create 1) the best game you ever made 2) the best following of the legend 3) the best rpg since and for 2 decades.

That said, communications, update, some kind of roadmap, ambitions for the game,... keep players hyped even if there are no new content.

I totally don't care about new content right now (new classes, races, levels, spells,...), but I'll be glad to know a bit what they're working on, what are their priorities and maybe what feedback they focus on after a few months of EA.
Posted By: Lilybun Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 20/01/21 12:20 PM
I'll be glad to know a bit what they're working on, what are their priorities and maybe what feedback they focus on after a few months of EA.

One thing about listening to feedback is that it implies your plans are still malleable and can be changed, which sort of restricts your ability to provide a roadmap especially in a project that doesn't have a set deadline such as this once. I assume a roadmap will come when we are closer to release and the day to day is less of a matter of what and how and more of a matter of when, fingers crossed.

Personally I would love to know how they allocate their time and resources internally and what their workflow is but that's never going to be public knowledge. This is the first early access title I've paid money for so I could at least see the end product unfold first hand patch to patch, backed by Larian's track record of actually finishing games. I gather that most people don't have the same angle on this early access and simply want to play the game, which is understandable :p
Posted By: Scribe Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 20/01/21 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Scribe
Not sure about that ...
Especialy since its the same person repeating the same over and over.

We have few experts of CtrlC + CtrV technique around here. :-/

I think you are selectively reading then.

There are multiple threads discussing similar issues that multiple individuals are coming to the same conclusion independently on.

As of this moment, many corrections are required and we need some updates.
Posted By: Bufotenina Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 20/01/21 04:12 PM

Sharing feedback and suggestions is fine and is the purpose of EA. Asking for new content because you are bored of what's available, to me, isn't. This is not a complete game nor is it a slow rollout of the full game. It's a testing phase as well as an opportunity for Larian to showcase their product. Even if Larian decided not to patch further until full release, that'd be fine. Sure, they risk going forward with a lot of mistakes and systems a lot of players will hate but it's their prerogative.

I have been very critical of Larian and I can't believe I'm defending them right now. If they choose to ignore the forum posters (which by the way is a very very small minority) then it's up to them. Ultimately I can choose to stop reporting bugs and testing their game. There's plenty to do elsewhere. I hope BG3 becomes great but it's not a huge deal if it isn't. I'll just learn not to purchase another EA from Larian again.

I could argue that in these days to think of releasing a beta testing of a game, one that has a big name, in a moment when people has more time to play because of the various lockdowns, when the platform of players is increased dramatically, when people is used, thanks to the politics followed by smartphone apps, to have content on almost weekly, when not daily, basis, without a time table, without considering the chance to add new content, in the area already developed, is a bit naive.

A bored player that get frustrated can become an hotspot of bad reviews, something like "why did you abbandoned the game?" "eh, they're lazy and don't care to put out new content". I know in my hypotethic dialogue there's no pointig out that this is an early release, but how many players, the ones that are casual players and are not so much in the technical stuff, really knew what early access means?

Videogame industry is one that has become incredibly competitive, specially since video gaming spread out the "geek" and "nerd" niches reaching wider and wider audiences, to be competitive in this area means to manage said audience, to take in count that to mantain the attention of people that doesn't belong to the hardcore players, specially since early access is, too, a way to increase funds, maybe give a candy every now and then, the risks is to loss potential players and to irritate people that has access to social media bullhorns to amplify their disappointment.

[Just to be clear, not my case. I am differently concise, social media don't have enough space for my terse style, seriously probably I am of the few that were able to have a facebook post not posted because the lenght was over the 3000 characters laugh laugh laugh ]
Posted By: spectralhunter Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 20/01/21 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Bufotenina

I could argue that in these days to think of releasing a beta testing of a game, one that has a big name, in a moment when people has more time to play because of the various lockdowns, when the platform of players is increased dramatically, when people is used, thanks to the politics followed by smartphone apps, to have content on almost weekly, when not daily, basis, without a time table, without considering the chance to add new content, in the area already developed, is a bit naive.

A bored player that get frustrated can become an hotspot of bad reviews, something like "why did you abbandoned the game?" "eh, they're lazy and don't care to put out new content". I know in my hypotethic dialogue there's no pointig out that this is an early release, but how many players, the ones that are casual players and are not so much in the technical stuff, really knew what early access means?

Videogame industry is one that has become incredibly competitive, specially since video gaming spread out the "geek" and "nerd" niches reaching wider and wider audiences, to be competitive in this area means to manage said audience, to take in count that to mantain the attention of people that doesn't belong to the hardcore players, specially since early access is, too, a way to increase funds, maybe give a candy every now and then, the risks is to loss potential players and to irritate people that has access to social media bullhorns to amplify their disappointment.

[Just to be clear, not my case. I am differently concise, social media don't have enough space for my terse style, seriously probably I am of the few that were able to have a facebook post not posted because the lenght was over the 3000 characters laugh laugh laugh ]

Sure. I didn’t say it would be a good decision. I just said it’s their choice. wink

I just don’t understand the “I demand” new content business. Everyone knew going into EA, there would be bugs and not all content would be available. Larian is not obligated to offer any more than what we see now. Sure, in a marketing standpoint it may be the wrong decision but it’s their choice.

$60 got you access to EA and the full game at launch. It didn’t give you the right to have regular updated content.
Posted By: Scribe Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 20/01/21 05:17 PM
I dont think its about content. At least for me its not.

I just want to know that the issues that keep being brought up are being looked at, and fixed.
Posted By: Naginata Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 21/01/21 12:48 PM
In my humble opinion, the EA should contain:

All races
All classes
Level cap at least 5 because there are relevant changes that have to be tested (level 3 spells, second action for fighter, paladin, etc.)
Posted By: Tuco Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 22/01/21 12:20 PM
Wonder if we'll get a surprise patch release before today is gone or if it will slip to the next week once again.
Posted By: booboo Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 22/01/21 03:14 PM
....a stealth patch?
Posted By: Tuco Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 22/01/21 03:19 PM
....a stealth patch?

...What are you asking, exactly?

Because there's nothing "stealth" about the upcoming patch.
We were told in December it would come in January, we can see on the SteamDB that it's getting daily updates recently and we know thanks to Larian's twitter that they are explicitly preparing to release it soon.
Posted By: gaymer Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 22/01/21 03:32 PM
....a stealth patch?

We were told in December it would come in January, we can see on the SteamDB that it's getting daily updates recently and we know thanks to Larian's twitter that they are explicitly preparing to release it soon.

Larian never said January. They said "after the holidays" to give themselves flexibility.
Posted By: booboo Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 22/01/21 03:40 PM
That was a joke...or an attempt at one wink They usually make a big fuss about a patch release. I don't follow their Twitter updates (or anyone elses) so I can't comment on that - if it is imminent, that's great. There's certainly a need for a substantial non-cosmetic patch that pays close attention to the broken rules implementation. That may even be enough for me to reinstall the game.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 22/01/21 03:44 PM
Larian never said January. They said "after the holidays" to give themselves flexibility.
Same difference, really.
Posted By: SerraSerra Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 22/01/21 03:49 PM
....a stealth patch?

almost two weeks ago they said something on twitter about patch4 being around the corner and more news coming soon. Again they created this problem themselves. The issue is not that people have unrealistic or demanding expectations, the issue is that Larian first sets expectations and then goes silent. If they wouldn't have posted two weeks ago that the patch was around the corner and more news would be available to us soon, then I wouldn't have had any expectation towards them at all. Obviously they do not owe us any updates but if they communicate towards the public it would be nice if they tried to be open, consistent and transparent about it instead of the sometimes ambiguous insinuating statements followed by complete communication black-outs.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 22/01/21 06:30 PM
Well, nope. Another week is gone and still no patch released.

I didn't really expect anything and I'm still disappointed.
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 22/01/21 06:58 PM
If watch this website --

https://steamdb.info/app/1086940/depots/

the new patches tend to drop soon after sumer2020 starts to update. I'm still saying Feb. It hasn't been that long in terms of work days.

I wants the patch but I also like know that I'm giving my money to devs who give their employees time off for the holidays.
Posted By: acatlas Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 23/01/21 11:49 AM
It comes down to just wanting something to change up the game a new class more levels new areas to explore doesnt need to be everything we just need something to shake it up more classes ideally would be the better thing as its better for game balancing.
Posted By: pageu Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 23/01/21 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by SerraSerra
almost two weeks ago they said something on twitter about patch4 being around the corner (...)
They said, that "Patch 4 isn't too far away.". It sounds much more flexible than "around the corner".
Posted By: Blade238 Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 23/01/21 02:56 PM
I'm rather curious how development progression is going. Are they simultaneously working on the other acts and regions? Are they building ground up?

They should be releasing content as they go or at least any act 1 progress, items or game mechanics. If it's unbalanced or buggy, then all the more reason since it's the reason many people bought the EA.

I haven't touched this game in months because there's no new content and no reason to keep playing. What's there to test has been tested, what feedback to give has been given. It's time to add all the new progress they've made to be broken and new feedback given.

My biggest concern is this: They do the EA for Act 1, but their release history says they should be doing so for the entire game. Once the final product is shipped they end up making an updated release shortly after with feedback. It's like they're charging for EA twice and double dipping.
Posted By: acatlas Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 25/01/21 05:31 PM
I doubt they would double dip to many games got major trouble for that to be worth the effort.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 25/01/21 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Blade238
no reason to keep playing
Good one. laugh
I have 268 hours played ... and yet i sometimes find some bits and pieces i missed in previous gameplays. laugh Also i almost certainly didnt tryed everything so far, at least i didnt tryed everything i want to. laugh
Posted By: Nyloth Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 25/01/21 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Blade238
I'm rather curious how development progression is going. Are they simultaneously working on the other acts and regions? Are they building ground up?

They should be releasing content as they go or at least any act 1 progress, items or game mechanics. If it's unbalanced or buggy, then all the more reason since it's the reason many people bought the EA.

I haven't touched this game in months because there's no new content and no reason to keep playing. What's there to test has been tested, what feedback to give has been given. It's time to add all the new progress they've made to be broken and new feedback given.

My biggest concern is this: They do the EA for Act 1, but their release history says they should be doing so for the entire game. Once the final product is shipped they end up making an updated release shortly after with feedback. It's like they're charging for EA twice and double dipping.

I am sure that we are playing on EA client version only with first act. And maybe another team is working on another client with full game completely. I wouldn't be surprised.
Posted By: Terminator2020 Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 26/01/21 04:56 PM
Well without quoting any special member.

First of all Early Access was meant to be included only Act1 and not Act 2 or Act 3. I do not know how they will fix testing for Act 2 or 3 but it could be example Closed Beta.

There are here these things to consider:
A. From Act 1 there is released 1a but not 1 b. It means Act 1 still have some new areas though it could be that 1b is not as big area as 1a.
B. There will be more classes and maybe even races. "If not all at once they could example release 1-2 classes every second month until all classes are released that will bee in the game." I do NOT know this. I hope we get more classes in Early Access ,but I know that there will be more classes in this game.
C. Lots of movies story things we still have not get in Early Access in Act 1.
D. Spells and feats? I think they have already increased spells people have not simple noticed that.
E. More according to DD rules? Maybe that but I do not know what they will do about it. Only maybe and not sure.
F. More difficulty then only Normal? Yes that will be in game, but I do not know if we get them in Early Access.
Posted By: DiDiDi Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 26/01/21 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Terminator2020
Finally we do know this:
"
We are excited to announce that the World Reveal of Baldur’s Gate 3 Gameplay will be happening LIVE at PAX East on Thursday 27th February at 1500ET. Swen will be playing the game live on stage with a very special guest, revealing more about the story, mechanics, and the answers to much asked questions. Plus, we'll be streaming to YouTube so you can be involved no matter where you are in the world. Take a look at our announcement trailer for all the details about the gameplay reveal and to get a sneak peek at our new booth that we'll be unveiling at PAX East!
"
We will get some info maybe not much info but I do want to know this info.
That was year ago... smile
Posted By: Terminator2020 Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 26/01/21 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by DiDiDi
Finally we do know this:
"
We are excited to announce that the World Reveal of Baldur’s Gate 3 Gameplay will be happening LIVE at PAX East on Thursday 27th February at 1500ET. Swen will be playing the game live on stage with a very special guest, revealing more about the story, mechanics, and the answers to much asked questions. Plus, we'll be streaming to YouTube so you can be involved no matter where you are in the world. Take a look at our announcement trailer for all the details about the gameplay reveal and to get a sneak peek at our new booth that we'll be unveiling at PAX East!
"
We will get some info maybe not much info but I do want to know this info.
That was year ago... smile
Arghcrazy. Ok fine.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 26/01/21 05:12 PM
B. There will be more classes and maybe even races. "If not all at once they could example release 1-2 classes every second month until all classes are released that will bee in the game." I do NOT know this. I hope we get more classes in Early Access ,but I know that there will be more classes in this game.
Honestly i hope they choose "all at once, as soon as possible approach" ... otherwise there is danger that last class or race will have conciderable less feedback than all the others. :-/
Also i believe that i have heard that EA was suppose to last (At least, and not in total, i hope?) a year ... that seem impossible by now, since we would have almost first half of testing behind us and we werent even able to test everything so far. laugh
Posted By: Terminator2020 Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 26/01/21 05:18 PM
Honestly i hope they choose "all at once, as soon as possible approach" ... otherwise there is danger that last class or race will have conciderable less feedback than all the others. :-/
Also i believe that i have heard that EA was suppose to last (At least, and not in total, i hope?) a year ... that seem impossible by now, since we would have almost first half of testing behind us and we werent even able to test everything so far. laugh
Oh when this game is done? I guess BG3 is done something between: November 2021 - March 2022 that is my best guess and I do not know that. I do not know how or when I maybe get more classed in Early Access. I only know there will be more classes in the game.

Release date could also be later in year 2022. They did say Early Access should take at least a year like minimum.
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 26/01/21 06:08 PM
I guess the next patch will be very important both for players and Larian.

Now they had tons of feedback from players that had played a lot and from players that just tried the game once. They probably have analysed tons of data about how the game is played.

They showed us an early alpha build, then they adjusted surfaces and now they probably have to choose the direction they'll give to the game.

At the moment BG3 is a mixture and whatever our tastes, everyone agree to say that many things doesn't work well. I think the next patch will be the early beginning of the road to release especially about combats and game mechanics.
Posted By: IrenicusBG3 Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 26/01/21 06:21 PM
Don't worry guys, it will be a huge announcement trailer and community update when patch 4.0 is ready.

Mid February is my guess.
Posted By: BraveSirRobin Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 27/01/21 07:32 PM
Some news

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: nation Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 27/01/21 08:39 PM
this might just be me, but on one hand - great! glad we got some communication regarding the next patch. on the other hand, i wish larians style of communication/updates didnt make me feel like i was being patronized, lol.

excited and looking forward to more news tho!
Posted By: Lunar Dante Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 28/01/21 06:06 PM
LOL, on twitter they indicated that "Coming Soon" is a TM
Posted By: Dexai Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 29/01/21 09:46 AM
A "TM"?
Posted By: marajango Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 29/01/21 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Dexai
A "TM"?
Trademark™️
Posted By: acatlas Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 02/02/21 01:37 AM
news = in 2 months we will give you actual news
Posted By: Lunar Dante Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 02/02/21 06:13 AM
Well, in the list of topics we could add regarding improvements, it might be relationship and communication with the community. It is becoming really cold (and the argument of : "hey, they only did 60 millions dollars in sales for launching, they might loose some ressources on the development if they talk to us" or covid, or flood, well no, it is a choice they made. And it is a sad choice.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 02/02/21 09:02 AM
Disagree ... its a best choice they could made.
Dont say > show.

Golden rule of writing ... and its aplicable in here.
Why is there that urge, to see developers write "we hear you" when they create patches, based on our feedback and we can actualy SEE they hear us? O_o
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 02/02/21 09:09 AM
Dont say > show.

Why is there that urge, to see developers write "we hear you" when they create patches, based on our feedback and we can actualy SEE they hear us? O_o

At the moment they had only fixed 1 major thing asked by the community.
That's cool, but that doesn't mean anything nor give clues to what direction they take for the game.

A weekly summary of what they're working on or an "interview" of their employees (I'm one of the map designer and I'm working on act 2, what I like in my job is blablabla, I really enjoyed working on that concept art of a dungeon blablabla) could help us to stay hyped and could create a link between devs and community.
There are many things they could do to communicate without revealing things that shouldn't be.
Posted By: CJMPinger Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 02/02/21 09:19 AM
Personally, I would like them to be more open, at least like weekly tweets on progress or what the main focus is on. Keep us in the loop so this goes smooth for everyone. Not saying to make promises or tell us when an update is projected to drop cause likely they don't know, but maybe stuff like "Here is a sneak peak at one of the new companions we are writing" or "Here is us testing possible changes in party management"
Posted By: Lunar Dante Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 02/02/21 09:27 AM
Dont say > show.

Well, it is actually an interesting and seducing principle ("show, don't tell"), and I might even agree with you...
The problem is, when you say... "we can actually SEE they hear us"
Well maybe for some minor topics, it is true...
BUT for most major topics, such as D&D 5 rules, and many other subjects detailed on the forum, well, there is nothing to be SEEN and they are just offering silence, after 4 months... so not really an "urge"
So, in this case, the principle is rather :
On most major topics, show nothing, tell nothing during 4 months... (might also be "we do not care about that")
So, please understand it is a legitimate frustration, not an urge
Posted By: MyriadHappenings Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 02/02/21 10:16 AM
I don’t understand how the update is in any way patronizing... I mean their work space flooded, they’re working around covid regulations as well as just getting off the holidays, and they’re still putting out a patch relatively quickly. I get wanting a roadmap but for the most part it seems like larian have a decent handle on things.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 02/02/21 10:26 AM
At the moment they had only fixed 1 major thing asked by the community.
That's cool, but that doesn't mean anything nor give clues to what direction they take for the game.
What "one thing" you mean?
Improved character follower movement.
Added an option to hide your helmet in the equipment screen.
Added trajectory preview for force application when using spells.
All characters now correctly stop running when forced turn-based mode is activated.
Companions will now jump to follow the main player character.
Fixed and re-enabled Larian Cross Save between all platforms.
Assorted tweaks to companion approval ratings.
The Combat AI now accounts for falling from jumps.
Changed AI behaviour archetypes for the Boar, Intellect Devourer, and Tiny Spider.
Combat music no longer ends when a character joins combat.
Audio configuration now updates on selection of an option.
In multiplayer, other clients can now hear the dice roll events of a player in dialog.
Decluttered the hotbar UI by allowing selection of upcasted versions of spells with a separate widget.
Improved look of toggle-able Passives that can be added to the hotbar.
Improved some skill tooltips in Character Creation.
Added a tutorial for Inspiration points.
Cinematics: Adjusted emotions and lookats in certain areas.
Cinematics: Camera tweaks and lighting improvements in certain areas.
Cinematics: A large pass of improvements on emotions and attitudes.
Cinematics: Improved fade timings.
Cinematics: Improved blending between poses.
Any dialog associated with a mask will play before equipping it instead of after.
Jumping down a hole now teleports any following characters as well.
Overhauled the sheath/unsheath weapon logic for more consistent behaviour.
Experience is now awarded for avoiding combat and completing smaller side quests.
Added a new sound for rolling initiative in combat.

I wonder if you see what i mean ...
This is reason why i totally get why developers dont talk to us directly ... here are patch notes, and what we said?
"Thanks for almost 30 chages mostly based on our feedback." or "They only changed one major thing." as it seems, since the others was not on "my personal list of demanded MAJOR changes". -_- You are being selfish people. :-/

Originally Posted by Lunar Dante
BUT for most major topics, such as D&D 5 rules, and many other subjects detailed on the forum, well, there is nothing to be SEEN and they are just offering silence, after 4 months... so not really an "urge"
You managed to list one ... if tehre is so many i would expect to see more. laugh
And to be even funnier you choosed that one, that certainly takes a little more time to be implemented. laugh

Also:
DATE: 02.12.2020
COMMUNITY UPDATE #11
How did you manage to squeeze "4 months of silence" into litteraly 62 days? O_o

Originally Posted by Lunar Dante
So, please understand it is a legitimate frustration, not an urge
I dont ... they are working, they are showing us that they are working, and they are showing us that they are working on issues that we pointed out ...
And all you people are showing is complete ignoration of everything that isnt that single issue YOU have pointed out.
That is not legitimate frustration ... that is just being selfish. :-/
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 02/02/21 10:38 AM
Half of your list are bug fixes, necessary/obvious improvement and small things...

Not sure a lot of this were especially driven by player's feedback...

If thinking that a toggle to on/off the helmet is a minor tweak... Yes maybe I'm selffish. According to me that's probably one of the only thing that were added because players asked. (And probably the auto jump)....
Posted By: Lunar Dante Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 02/02/21 10:53 AM
Again, a personal attack : "selfish"
"They are working" : yes, we know. Thanks to our money. It is not the question.
You are listing almost only minor (or tiny) changes, not a "major" change.
Let's take an example : "Improved character follower movement" : how ? well, we don't SEE it.
"Major" : you can better understand the meaning with the size of the threads and the number of people asking for those changes : I have nothing to demonstrate to you : Larian knows.
Are you working for Larian ?
No ? : well, too bad, what is your constructive feedback ?
The request adressed to Larian is : some hours of empathy to make us feel there is a living community here, not that we are just buyers of the game.
If we are just buyers, then do not be surprised to be gradually considered just as workers, which would be sad.
Exchanging more regularly is also the possibility to build a better reputation among gamers.
Posted By: Nyloth Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 02/02/21 01:17 PM
I dont ... they are working, they are showing us that they are working, and they are showing us that they are working on issues that we pointed out ...
And all you people are showing is complete ignoration of everything that isnt that single issue YOU have pointed out.
That is not legitimate frustration ... that is just being selfish. :-/

I agree with you, but they also broke the whole game with their latest hot fix and haven't fixed it since. They made a good patch and then immediately a hot fix that broke it...
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 02/02/21 04:21 PM
Lunar Dante > Im not listing anything ... that was patchnote quote.
And if you wish to see "my constructive feedback" feel free to read all my 645 posts, i bet you find some. laugh

I agree with you, but they also broke the whole game with their latest hot fix and haven't fixed it since. They made a good patch and then immediately a hot fix that broke it...
True ... but that is part of the process, if you ever were working on some debuging you know what i am talking about ...
It would be nice to get some hotfix fast, but lets not forget about holydays that were there ... after all, we all agreed to play broken unfinished game, so we should not cry its broken and unfinished. :-/

All i say is that we should wait for Patch 4 ...
Swen specificly promised us more changes based on feedback ... then we will see. :P
Posted By: Syrelle Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 03/02/21 06:39 AM
I still can't look up with the camera it's really pissy to have someone work on a very well balanced and beautiful statue and
only give the players the ability to see the statue from a distance. I love the detail not the angle..
seems to be around a 30 degree angle. I zoom in still can't see the 2nd floor, press o for overhead and get lost in floors.
Really if you're going to limit that why have stuff we can't see, I feel like I spent more time fighting with the camera lately than actually playing the game.

Also, can you PLEASE put in a space bar finish to the NPC players sitting and waiting for a spider to decide what it's doing and it times out. I literally start groaning at 16 man fights because it's easily an hr.
Posted By: CopperCrate Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 03/02/21 09:13 PM
Based on comments in this thread I can't imagine why Larian wouldn't want to communicate more.
Posted By: acatlas Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 07/02/21 05:45 AM
Back when they released patch 3 and there was no new content "again new content" as in nothing was added that expanded from the content we already had seen in the game they had stated that content would be coming just after the holidays in the new year. Which would indicate mid January / early February and the idea being we would be seeing teasers of this already. So far we have nothing not 1 new thing has really been added to the game since launch which is a huge disappointment from the expectations they had hinted at without out right saying it. A large number of the signs that are going out indicate like the company bit off more than they can chew and that the game may never get a full release this kind of quiet nature is the same thing a lot of companies do when the company cant deliver on promises made.

I am not one to be skeptical but I am honestly starting to wish I had not bought the early access currently. As I personally am feeling like I probably bought something that may never actually be finished. Yes they have patched content fixed bugs fixed some of the general game problems but a lot of stuff has remained unaddressed and they are not expanding on that content at all even small things. When you compare it to other games coming out / having been released which are coming out with a lot more new content and adding content a lot faster. Solesta, the new pathfinder game. Hell even ashes of creation which is 1-2 years off a live release is showing more content and information than Balders Gate 3 is currently.

The original full game release date was Sept/Oct this year. Which was an expectation they set. Which I can get behind delays stuff happens. I've seen companies be like hey sorry were running behind schedule due to unforseen circumstances. I mean hell Covid-19 is a circumstance that would support the issues. However lack of communication on that is a major fault. No road maps. 0 and i mean 0 new content. In going on 5 months.

As for liking or agreeing with my opinion on it I honestly do not care if you like it dislike it don't agree with it factually during the last patch they said we would see new content coming in the new year. Where is it? Were well past the holidays were heading into mid February without so much as a word of hey were working on showing you any new content. If a studio with 9 people can present more content than a studio with 200 and interact with there own forums more clearly a problem of some sort is present.

Road Map // New Content is needed.

and as for RagnarokCzD - As far as im concerned your just a staff member or a kiss butt praising something clearly almost everyone else posting on the entire thread disagrees with. I don't know why any of you even acknowledge him. Every comment made is just this is great we don't need any new content or anything. No normal person says that stuff unless they are 1 trolling your 2 working for the company and trying to de-escalate opinions of people.

90% of the posts think that something needs to be added.

As for making the game mirror 5E they stated out that gate it wouldn't be exact before the game was released. To defend Larion they said to expect that and like wise to defend the concept its divinity 2 original sin just remade its not. Being built on that engine its going to have some similar feels again they said that before the game was released. There are bugs still as well thats expected not every bug is going to get fixed until after the game goes live and we see 6 months or so before a dlc or something is added. Which 0 Problem paying for DLC content even. However the game does need new base content added weather it be a class or 2 or a race. Or a couple of classes / couple races. More levels to base classes additional chapters something to expand on existing content. Honestly i would expect to see them impliment the full class list and more races before adding more levels or additional chapters first and probably a couple extra npc companions as well. This is again my opinion and its based on logical reasoning of balance testing.

However they want to do it we should be at least getting teasers info on whats being worked on whats done when we can expect possibly seeing more content with specifics instead of just let down expectations with no response at all. There should be someone from the developement team at least taking an hour a day to look at and respond a little on the forums. Giving small updates like hey guys no release date yet were currently working on level 5 of the druid and making it works sorry its taking us a bit but we dont want to release a bugged patch we hope we will have it release on February 18th if things change we will put up a notice on that date. 18th hits they cant release it ... hey we have been having bugs dont want to release a game breaking addition to the game were working on it at this time we will update you more in a week we are also working on the paladin and dragonborn for the next patch coming after this but dont expect more news on this till early april. The week after they release the druid but with a delay. That is the kind of communication you would expect from the company bring a little bit of excitement express concerns that you are sorry your not meeting expectations. I can understand if there are delays problems ect. But when they dont say anything honestly my opinion is not impressed.

----
On a Side note if i was writing a review on the product currently I would say the game has an outstanding base structure to the game however I would not recommend getting the game at this time due to poor communication on the forums from the company and that it may be an unwise investment as due to the lack of expanded content it looks like the game may not get finished based on the lack of communication I would not recommend picking up the game at this time as you might be paying for a game that never gets fully released and once your outside your initial refund period it wont happen. So wait till the developers actually start showing more investment in the game. I was really impressed with the game at release but since release its been gradually getting more and more like why did I bother paying full price for an unfinished product. It went from a 5 star rating to a 1-2 star rating for the game. For all the reasons above.
Posted By: Amitaya Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 07/02/21 08:31 AM
The lack of patches or even content is not a problem.
The lack of communication is.
Posted By: Sadurian Re: Patch 4.0 Needed - 07/02/21 01:30 PM
acatlas; do not make personal attacks on other posters or you will find yourself taking a short enforced break from the forums.
© Larian Studios forums