Larian Studios
Posted By: GrinningRaven Quivers!! - 11/03/21 08:14 PM
I haven't played the early access yet, so I'm only going based on the gameplay video that's been released and both the Divinity games that Larian has made, which I played extensively.

PLEASE add quivers for the bows in the game. It was one of my largest annoyances in the Divinity games and I feel that it just kills the immersion for me. Not sure if it bothers anyone else, but I shoot bows IRL and it just seems wrong to not have a quiver of arrows, like a gun without a clip. I really wanted to play an archer in Divinity but never could get past the lack of arrows for archers.

Thanks!
Posted By: JoB Re: Quivers!! - 11/03/21 09:21 PM
I'm torn. It bothers me. I think I'd like it better if I had to get arrows.

But a part of me does appreciate the convenience of not having to worry about it. Overall though, endless ammunition would probably be better as a magic item trait.

And you know, now that I'm thinking about it, I hate the price of single shot arrows in this game. An acid arrow, a fire arrow... way too much money for something that's used once. What's that about?
Posted By: Frumpkis Re: Quivers!! - 11/03/21 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by JoB
IAnd you know, now that I'm thinking about it, I hate the price of single shot arrows in this game. An acid arrow, a fire arrow... way too much money for something that's used once. What's that about?

This is just a guess, but we know there will be some kind of crafting mechanic in the game (there is that one crafting interface in a cellar), and it might include magic arrows. It could be that the current high price when buying magic arrows from merchants is just to limit the supply, as a substitute for rare ingredients when crafting arrives.
Posted By: 1varangian Re: Quivers!! - 11/03/21 09:45 PM
Even with unlimited ammo, you should still have a "quiver" in the UI that would sort all your different special arrows for easy access.

I would like a finite number of arrows though, even if they would reset between encounters or some QoL thing like that. Say 20 arrows per fight. Or 40 if you want to carry the extra weight of two quivers. But unlimited arrows seems too arcade. It's cool that archers can run out of ammo which forces them to have some melee skills or throwing daggers or something as a backup plan.
Posted By: Saito Hikari Re: Quivers!! - 11/03/21 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Frumpkis
This is just a guess, but we know there will be some kind of crafting mechanic in the game (there is that one crafting interface in a cellar), and it might include magic arrows. It could be that the current high price when buying magic arrows from merchants is just to limit the supply, as a substitute for rare ingredients when crafting arrives.

This is probably exactly it.

You could make magical arrows in D:OS2 out of rather mundane things. Like having a regular arrowhead and a reusable source of water nearby like a water barrel sitting in another party member's inventory to make a water arrow, and similar things for poison and slowing arrows. You could even make charm arrows out of pots of honey (and basically initiate an infinite gold loop by crafting a bunch of those near a beehive to replenish your jars of honey, so long as you could find arrowheads to do it with).
Posted By: CJMPinger Re: Quivers!! - 12/03/21 03:54 AM
It might be good to just add them as the source of arrows and then a "special" quiver as a container to hold the unique arrows?
Posted By: Dexai Re: Quivers!! - 12/03/21 08:31 AM
@OP are you asking for quivers as in numbered ammunition or as in visual equipment on the character models?
Posted By: Roethen Re: Quivers!! - 12/03/21 08:56 AM
It only makes sense. Not everything in the BG universe is magical. Especially for characters who don't use magic at all - how do unlimited arrows make any sense? Limitations are important and valued.
Posted By: Madscientist Re: Quivers!! - 12/03/21 11:23 AM
Limited ammo makes no sense in a game with unlimited inventory.

Quivers as in special bags for special arrows: yes please.
Same for scroll cases and gem bags and so on.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Quivers!! - 12/03/21 03:19 PM
Well, there is second slot for ranged weapon, simmilar to two slots for meele ... it had to have some reason. O_o
Maybe it will be simmilar to Diablo, where we can use quivers for stats even if we still have unlimited ammo. :-/
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Quivers!! - 12/03/21 03:32 PM
I'd love to have to manage normal ammo but this is a very unpopular opinion.
I'd love finding a magical quiver that have unlimited normal ammo !

But this won't change so I don't expect this anymore.

I still expect quivers as other specific bags both to manage our inventory easily and to have more item management (quiver with different size/ more or less slots -quickslots you can use in combats, magical quiver/bow that gives unlimited specific ammo,...)

About ammo and quiver I also hope they'll add +1 or +2 arrows. Elemental things everywhere is really boring.
Posted By: mrfuji3 Re: Quivers!! - 12/03/21 03:48 PM
I could take or leave managing normal ammo. In Sol- another unnamed D&D game, there is ammo tracking but it kind of has no effect on the game? Given regular ammunition's ~negligible weight and cost, I never run out of arrows and it's only the slightest hassle to equip them. But it also doesn't really add anything to the experience except for a teeny bit of realism.

A dedicated special arrow quiver would be wonderful. Better inventory (and hotbar) management pleeeaaassseeee.
At the very least, let us name/somehow customize backpacks so we can visually tell our scroll vs arrows vs potions backpacks apart.
Posted By: Frumpkis Re: Quivers!! - 12/03/21 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Roethen
It only makes sense. Not everything in the BG universe is magical. Especially for characters who don't use magic at all - how do unlimited arrows make any sense? Limitations are important and valued.

Limitations are valuable yes, but so is reducing unnecessary micromanagement in a game. I'd rather have it this way myself, instead of having to stop what I'm doing and make a side trip to a merchant or a crafting station to make normal arrows after running out. Magic arrows should require that, of course.

As for unlimited normal arrows, I don't think it's too hard to imagine that characters in the game are gathering materials along the way, and making arrows while they're at camp. We just don't see it explicitly. The game thankfully avoids other real-world activities that would just be additional micro, and can be assumed to be a camp activity like repairing damaged armor and weapons.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Quivers!! - 12/03/21 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I'd love to have to manage normal ammo but this is a very unpopular opinion.
I'd love finding a magical quiver that have unlimited normal ammo!
Me too ... but, i wonder how to ballance them so they are actualy meaningfull ...
If every wendor will have at least 50 arrow to sell, even if they would cost 5 gold per arrow ... it seem kinda almost the same like if you have unlimited by default. :-/

So the only way would be to make them either quite rare, wich could criple ranged classes quite a lot. :-/ Or make them ridiculously overpriced, like elemental arrows, wich seem silly. :-/
Posted By: The Old Soul Re: Quivers!! - 13/03/21 03:48 AM
If nothing else there ought to visually be a quiver on our back when a bow is equipped. Have us be grabbing those infinite arrows from somewhere, not just manifesting them.
It would certainly be nice to have a quiver image on the hotbar, the opens a popup with our special arrows, similar to we choose what level to cast a spell at. Not that I ever use special arrows. Consumables *gag*
How are they going to add magic quivers if they don't even have quivers? Granted the only one I know of in DnD is basically just a bag of holding for narrow things, which translates to "weightless arrows", but magic quivers for the game could have stats or effects like gloves/boots/helms do I suppose.
A bow should only take up one of the two weapon slots, but lock the 2nd to quiver only.
Regular arrows I'm happy to keep as infinite. Most every bow user I've played DnD with never tracked their arrow count anyway.
Posted By: GrinningRaven Re: Quivers!! - 29/03/21 05:57 PM
Ok, wow so I see I am not alone in this. smile I mostly meant to show a quiver just for visual preference at least. If they could work an ammunition system in, that would be great but could be tedious. I liked the way Owlcat Games showed quivers on the characters in the Pathfinder Kingmaker game. There was no ammo count, but you could find magical quivers that added some kind of bonus to your arrows, like cold iron against fae, or elemental damage. I feel that small visual items like backpacks, belt items, quivers, sheaths just help to sell the immersion of being an adventurer out trekking through the magical world and not just a person that only has one set of clothes, apparently doesn't eat food and came equipped with a bag of holding from the start.
Posted By: Ankou Re: Quivers!! - 29/03/21 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by GrinningRaven
I haven't played the early access yet, so I'm only going based on the gameplay video that's been released and both the Divinity games that Larian has made, which I played extensively.

PLEASE add quivers for the bows in the game. It was one of my largest annoyances in the Divinity games and I feel that it just kills the immersion for me. Not sure if it bothers anyone else, but I shoot bows IRL and it just seems wrong to not have a quiver of arrows, like a gun without a clip. I really wanted to play an archer in Divinity but never could get past the lack of arrows for archers.

Thanks!

If we're being pedantic, it's a magazine not a clip.
Posted By: Dexai Re: Quivers!! - 30/03/21 07:28 AM
Ok, wow so I see I am not alone in this. smile I mostly meant to show a quiver just for visual preference at least. If they could work an ammunition system in, that would be great but could be tedious. I liked the way Owlcat Games showed quivers on the characters in the Pathfinder Kingmaker game. There was no ammo count, but you could find magical quivers that added some kind of bonus to your arrows, like cold iron against fae, or elemental damage. I feel that small visual items like backpacks, belt items, quivers, sheaths just help to sell the immersion of being an adventurer out trekking through the magical world and not just a person that only has one set of clothes, apparently doesn't eat food and came equipped with a bag of holding from the start.

See I wanted to ask because I got the feeling the thread went off topic from the start. I too would like to have visual quivers on characters, it just doesn't look right without them when you're an archer, but I'm not particularly interested in having an ammo count for basic arrows/bolts/bullets.
Posted By: Maximuuus Re: Quivers!! - 30/03/21 07:48 AM
If you have a bow equiped yes, we should definitely have a quiver on our characters models.

What would also be cool is two "quiver slots" in the equipment screen in which you can equip special arrows.

We could have somewhere toggles for every arrow type equiped.
- Normal ON/OFF (Auto ON)
- quiver slot 1 ON/OFF
- quiver slot 2 ON/OFF

If you toggle ON quiver slot 1, your ranged attacks are made with arrows equiped on this slot.
Same if you enable quiver slot 2 or normal arrows toggle. Normal arrows Auto ON if you have nothing in your quiver slots.

Ofc this could only be usefull if they gave us many more special arrows and this could only be possible if surfaces arrows wasn't the only special ammunitions available.

Why don't they gave us +1 (+2/+3 for higher levels) arrows ? Having 20 fire arrows would be a problem because of surfaces but it wouldn't be at all with +1 arrows.

Looks like missing is a problem in this game... Allow us to find items that increase our %to hit... Let us find or buy those arrows. People don't know what to do with their money... Just add the possibility to buy (or find) special arrows that are not surfaces arrows.

Even arrows than only deal small poison/fire damages wouldn't be a problem if there's not surfaces all the time. It would make way more sense than coating our bow with fire/poison...

More immersive, more choices, more control of our %to hit, more things to do with our money, more possibilities to play in combats, more D&D items,......
Posted By: Dez Re: Quivers!! - 30/03/21 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Even with unlimited ammo, you should still have a "quiver" in the UI that would sort all your different special arrows for easy access.

I would like a finite number of arrows though, even if they would reset between encounters or some QoL thing like that. Say 20 arrows per fight. Or 40 if you want to carry the extra weight of two quivers. But unlimited arrows seems too arcade. It's cool that archers can run out of ammo which forces them to have some melee skills or throwing daggers or something as a backup plan.

+1 for the quiver for special arrow sorting. As of finite arrows, I am pretty sure that it would require a re-scaling of the Ranger's arrow attacks since it, according to a lot of players, is mediocre at best atm. Further limiting them by cutting down their ammunition would only make them even more sub-par versus casters and melee characters. I do not personally mind, but I prefer not to micromanage regular arrows on top of the (most definitely) coming magical / special arrows.

Originally Posted by CJMPinger
It might be good to just add them as the source of arrows and then a "special" quiver as a container to hold the unique arrows?

YES.

+1 for visuals too. I also enjoyed Kingmaker's solution for special arrows. But I did also enjoy DOS2's special arrows and the way that they were rare as **** early-mid game, and later on you could craft a fair amount of them, certainly enough to use a special arrow for each encounter.

Imo, the way that special arrows worked made me feel a little bit like an arcane archer in PoE2 (which I adored so badly that I'd wish to have it implemented in every single game I play). It just felt like an extremely nice touch, and I am excited to see what Larian has in store for rangers when we hit full release!
Posted By: grysqrl Re: Quivers!! - 30/03/21 05:45 PM
I like a button on the UI that lets you select which ammunition you are using - it shows what you have in your quiver with little radio buttons to show which type is active. It makes sense to have a quiver on the character model, but I'm not going to be too upset if that doesn't happen. I can imagine it being there and that's fine for me.

That said, this draws me back to the "if everything is special, nothing is special thing". I tend to be very against most of the consumables that Larian has created - strongly dislike the abundance of elemental arrows (among other things) that are available from the get-go. I would love for them to be gone.

From a PnP perspective, I find it's very rare to see +1 weapons at all before level 5 or so. I'm all for adding +X ammunition and having them be selectable from the quiver instead of normal arrows, but you ideally wouldn't see them within the scope of the EA. This is fine. I like spending the first few levels getting to know my characters skills without all sorts of magical enhancements. Then as you notice the enemies starting to ramp up, a few magical items start showing up to give you that little bit of edge that you need; this makes them feel really special and you have to pick your moments when to use them (with consumables, like arrows and bolts, at least). If you just have magical arrows right away without feeling a little bit of a desperate need for them, it devalues them - makes them seem less cool.

So, I'd love to see all of the existing fancy arrows removed from the game entirely. Have the players find a few walloping arrows/bolts somewhere in the scope of the EA. Maybe there's a vendor that has a few to sell or you find a cache of them hidden somewhere. They're rare, and they might not work (you might miss and there's a save involved), but if you can land that perfect shot at just the right moment against an enemy that you absolutely need to knock down, it's going to feel incredible! Then start introducing +1 ammo (still rare) in the second part of act 1.

This shifts the focus from "check out all of this powerful ammo I just got" to "check out these amazing things that my character can do", and the fancy ammo is there for you when you need a bit of an edge. If you want you skillset to be about being an elemental archer, include that as a subclass in the game (it already exists in 5e).
Posted By: Arsifal Re: Quivers!! - 10/07/21 06:20 AM
I will go in the direction of my comrades.
Please Larian Studio, however you use arrows, at least visually add a quiver on the character when he is wielding a bow.
On the back, lower back or hip, but the archer absolutely needs a quiver otherwise it doesn't make sense.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Quivers!! - 10/07/21 06:31 AM
Just as it dont quite make sence that Fighter is shoving shield up to his ass ... when you sheat weapons. -_-
Posted By: CJMPinger Re: Quivers!! - 10/07/21 06:58 AM
Honestly, having both weapon sets visible on a character would be very nice. And a quiver if one has a bow. Visually it'd make it feel like we are wielding actual weapons. I could see an argument that if one is using Pact of the Blade though or a similar ability then there shouldn't be a sheathed weapon but that should be something distinctive for that.
Posted By: Alexandrite Re: Quivers!! - 10/07/21 08:54 AM
I shoot bows iRL too (target archery, and SCA combat archery)

The lack of quiver in BG3 did bother me but only a little, and only at the beginning of the game. It's not a big deal, though it would be NICE to see characters with bows have quivers visible on the character model, I quickly got immersed in everything else in the game and honestly forgot about the lack of quiver thing. Most games don't account for quivers so I'm used to it. BTW side or hip quivers (going across the lower back) are more practical in real life, than the back quivers that we see in games/movies all the time. Taking arrows out over your shoulder is awkward smile

However, I would HATE to have arrow management become another resource management thing in game (and for the record I approve of food/supplies for long rests in BG3!)
If you've ever played a game of combat archery, you know the pain of wandering around collecting lost arrows (while swearing under your breath at the heavy fighters who stepped all over your arrows on the field!) and having to sit a battle or two out checking arrows while the heavy fighters continue to have their fun. Arrow management in real life combat scenarios is a necessary evil, but it IS NOT FUN and I wouldn't want it in BG3.

One thing that DID bother me (only slightly!) is the gigantic nocking points on the in-game bowstrings. They look like they're the size of hazelnuts. Honestly, nocking points do not need to be that big smile
Posted By: Tuco Re: Quivers!! - 10/07/21 09:04 AM
I'm not particularly invested in getting "ammo counting" back into the game (meaning I wouldn't mind if it was added but I genuinely don't feel like its absence is particularly relevant) but count a big +1 from my part on the appeal to at least get quivers as an aesthetic detail.

Also, fucking weapon sheaths/scabbards, as we are on it. Pretty please?

And as we are on the topic of bows, I absolutely hate these "floppy" shooting arcs. What are we even shooting with these bows and crossbows? Rubber darts?
Posted By: Alexandrite Re: Quivers!! - 10/07/21 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Tuco
...at least get quivers as an aesthetic detail. Also, fucking weapon sheaths/scabbards, as we are on it. Pretty please?

Yes those would be good to have, but I imagine both quivers and weapon sheaths would require a fair bit of animation (how they move with the character during a walk cycle, etc). I'm sure they could do it if they wanted to.
And while we're at it we could also ask for bow quivers...
But again, it is a game, many games ignore the existence of quivers/sheaths, and in the grand scheme of things this is not a game breaking detail. smile

Originally Posted by Tuco
And as we are on the topic of bows, I absolutely hate these "floppy" shooting arcs. What are we even shooting with these bows and crossbows? Rubber darts?

LOL, yes. Annoying as an archer, but I understand it from a visual/design point of view. I'd imagine it's a question of visually showing people what is happening, and for some reason, the floppy shooting arc is what people think arrows do.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Quivers!! - 10/07/21 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Alexandrite
Yes those would be good to have, but I imagine both quivers and weapon sheaths would require a fair bit of animation (how they move with the character during a walk cycle, etc). I'm sure they could do it if they wanted to.
I said it when the early access was just starting and I'll say it again: as a compromise I would be fine even with doing it "the cheap way" with weapons that are just "teleported" out of the sheath/scabbard in the hands of the character.
It's not like now it's particularly more elaborate to begin with and it still beats having "naked" weapons floating glued to the back of the characters, which by the way is particularly ridiculous for short weapons like daggers and short swords and it's so tragically "early 2000" in videogames standards.

LOL, yes. Annoying as an archer, but I understand it from a visual/design point of view.

I'm not sure I do, frankly. It's not like it looks better. It makes playing an an archer/crossbowman feel... lousy, for the lack of a better term. It lacks proper "kick".
I genuinely think that "mechanics" aside, it would look better to have projectiles moving in a (mostly) straight line and a bit faster, too.
Incidentally it would also (once again) match the rulebook better, since projectiles' lines of sight in D&D are in fact traced/calculated with straight lines from marksman to target (especially given the short distances involved here).
Posted By: JackNeptune Re: Quivers!! - 27/05/23 04:35 PM
We need quivers! We need scabbards, especially for all the daggers(maybe in scout carry position?) Come on, Larian. You guys can do it! Don't be lazy.
Posted By: The Red Queen Re: Quivers!! - 27/05/23 04:57 PM
Locking old thread to avoid multiple concurrent discussions on the same topic. Please continue this discussion at https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=850786 if required.

Please PM me if you think there is good reason to reopen this thread instead.
© Larian Studios forums