Larian Studios
Posted By: Miravlix Killing Gale after refusing to let him join - 14/04/21 01:31 AM
The Gale sequence about the resurrection comes up, but even while I got the scroll he is not a legal target for resurrection.

Since the entire point of the projection is to let people resurrect him, that seems a pretty strange to not allow it.

The system of only allowing to rez party members seems completely broken, either drop the rez scrolls if they can't be used according to D&D rules and just use the secondary way, that at least explain why it is limited to party members or allow us to rez everyone with scrolls.
Sounds like a bug
This brings up a thought, maybe they should allow us to use the scrolls on anyone who died recently, as in with the time since they are acting as revivify? It would add something to the world where you could actually bring back certain people by spending a valuable resource and it'd affect stories, like bringing back that Tiefling that gets pincushions with gobbos arrows at the gate.
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
This brings up a thought, maybe they should allow us to use the scrolls on anyone who died recently, as in with the time since they are acting as revivify? It would add something to the world where you could actually bring back certain people by spending a valuable resource and it'd affect stories, like bringing back that Tiefling that gets pincushions with gobbos arrows at the gate.
I would love that idea ...
It was mentioned several times around here in many topics, not sure how many permutations and new potential dialogues it would give to players. :-/

You know, there are things that are easy ...
For example you could Ressurect Halsin if you were so unlucky so he died while you were rescuing him ... or Kanon (that Tiefling you mentioned) ... or that Druid in secret passage ...
And many more who would be probably just gratefull that you ressurected them.

But then there is question how about potentialy hostile NPC?
It would be certainly interesting to be able to "torture the thruth out of Spike" (or those "paladins" in tollhouse) by killing him and ressurecting him over and over. O_o
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I would love that idea ...
It was mentioned several times around here in many topics, not sure how many permutations and new potential dialogues it would give to players. :-/

You know, there are things that are easy ...
For example you could Ressurect Halsin if you were so unlucky so he died while you were rescuing him ... or Kanon (that Tiefling you mentioned) ... or that Druid in secret passage ...

It would be certainly interesting to be able to "torture the thruth out of Spike" (or those "paladins" in tollhouse) by killing him and ressurecting him over and over. O_o

Something they might have to add is "willingness" like with speak with dead, so you can't revive enemies for experience or to abuse loot somehow. But also I think on the other hand sadistically reviving and killing someone for torture would really fit an Evil character and could be "fun" for those who play evil having that little bit of absolutely F-ed up-ness.
I would like to be able to revive NPCs that go down in combat as well. It doesn't make sense that we can use the scroll on a party member and not on anyone else who just died.

However, that would perhaps cause an issue with people who are scripted to die. Maybe NPCs who are helping you in combat (or who you are helping) could instead go through their saving throws and be revived like party members.

With regard to the scrolls not working when targeting party members, I have found the targeting very picky. I have to try a couple times (make sure I'm close enough, de-activate and re-activate the scroll, have the correct camera angle, make sure it's not targeting the body lying underneath my party member, etc.). However, if all that checks out and it's still doing it, then it definitely sounds like a bug.
Something they might have to add is "willingness" like with speak with dead, so you can't revive enemies for experience or to abuse loot somehow. But also I think on the other hand sadistically reviving and killing someone for torture would really fit an Evil character and could be "fun" for those who play evil having that little bit of absolutely F-ed up-ness.
Doesn't BG3 already have something like this, where enemies you've killed won't say anything if you "Speak with Dead" them?

I doubt they could make it to where you could use a scroll on NPCs, especially ones that are involved in a protect/bodyguard quest. That would basically eliminate the whole part of the quest of keeping him alive.
Something they might have to add is "willingness" like with speak with dead
That could complicate things ...
A lot actualy ... on one hand, it would be a tough call to accept or deny revive from your killer/enemy ... on the other hand, Hag allready threatened us with reviving and killing us again over and over ...
Also this would be the most fun part, so ... it would be shame to implement such feature and exclude its most juicy part. laugh

so you can't revive enemies for experience or to abuse loot somehow
I would not expect loot to abuseable (?) since when you loot someone, you are just reviving pennyless body ... but XP ARE actualy problem, i presume every single enemy would need some attribute "previously killed" ...

But also I think on the other hand sadistically reviving and killing someone for torture would really fit an Evil character and could be "fun" for those who play evil having that little bit of absolutely F-ed up-ness.
Its even fiting the world ...
Its exactly what Hag is promising you. laugh
Also Tieflings kids, who want you to steal druidic holy symbol tells you that they want it to sell it in city, hoping they make enough money to ressurect arabella. wink

Originally Posted by Maiandra
However, that would perhaps cause an issue with people who are scripted to die. Maybe NPCs who are helping you in combat (or who you are helping) could instead go through their saving throws and be revived like party members.
Disagree ...
Even if you NEED someone to die for story purpose, and yet you allow player to revive him ... all you need to do is raise cost of reviving, for example ... right now the scrolls cost is pretty low (400g if im not misstaken) and are quite easy to steal (dif. 7 without proficiency or dex. bonus if im not misstaken) ...
Raising both in full release is inevitable, since right now death in combat is pretty common, but also no big deal, since even if you dont stack them anytime you can, you are totally able to cary around 10 scrolls all the time.
That would also reduce player's willing to use it on "non esential targets" ...

BUT!
Even if there will be someone who will use it, just bcs he can (and there is allways such people) even that situation can be handled. All you need to do is make ressurected NPC that was suppose to die thraumatized by experienced death (quite understandably imho) ... and left the whole story.
I dunno, just something like:
"What ... what happened to me? ... Was i ... was i dead? Oh my. I ... i just need to go. Sorry." *NPC* Sprints away.
And voila! Problem solved ... NPC is living, but will not participate in story any longer. smile

Originally Posted by Maiandra
With regard to the scrolls not working when targeting party members, I have found the targeting very picky. I have to try a couple times (make sure I'm close enough, de-activate and re-activate the scroll, have the correct camera angle, make sure it's not targeting the body lying underneath my party member, etc.). However, if all that checks out and it's still doing it, then it definitely sounds like a bug.
Since Patch 4 you should be able to ressurect people by clicking on party frame. O_o

Originally Posted by Pandemonica
I doubt they could make it to where you could use a scroll on NPCs, especially ones that are involved in a protect/bodyguard quest. That would basically eliminate the whole part of the quest of keeping him alive.
Well, same as abowe ... it all depend on point of wiev ...

That NPC could quite simply refuse to pay you your reward, since you obviously "failed" in this part ... the ressurection of such NPC should be followed by conversation, him being angry at you and then leaving you without any reward.
Something like:
"You let me die?! YOU LET ME DIE! Our agreement mentioned SPECIFICALY that you were suppose to keep me alive! This whole boyguard thing was misstake, i have better chance on my own. The contract is canceled!" *NPC* Sprints away.
And voila! laugh

Honestly im more excited the options that would this situation gain you ...
Just imagine:
You could kill Halsin, so goblins are not suspicious about you, yet you could revive him afterwards and still follow good path.
You could kill that prisoner Spike was torturing, to spare him pain, and when Spike leave ... ressurect him and follow good path.
You could revive Kanon, so the Tiefling woman dont go killing spree for revenge.
You could revive Nettie, if you just were generating unlucky numbers ... when trying to persuate her, or while stealing the antidote ...
As i mentioned early, it would be perfect torture tool for evil characters. >:]

But im affraid THIS is actualy the reason why they never implement it ...
This spell gives tremendous amount of possibilities, and that would mean even more tremendous amount of work. laugh
Honestly im more excited the options that would this situation gain you ...
Just imagine:
You could kill Halsin, so goblins are not suspicious about you, yet you could revive him afterwards and still follow good path.
You could kill that prisoner Spike was torturing, to spare him pain, and when Spike leave ... ressurect him and follow good path.
You could revive Kanon, so the Tiefling woman dont go killing spree for revenge.
You could revive Nettie, if you just were generating unlucky numbers ... when trying to persuate her, or while stealing the antidote ...
As i mentioned early, it would be perfect torture tool for evil characters. >:]

But im affraid THIS is actualy the reason why they never implement it ...
This spell gives tremendous amount of possibilities, and that would mean even more tremendous amount of work. laugh

Currently, you can use res scrolls on both Halsin and Glut, if they die while they are on your team. But their deaths permanently ends their associated quests. Even though this isn't perfect, I agree the number of possibilities become far too great if you can undo, redo and undo any deaths, and expect the story to remain coherent.
It's super weird reviving Halsin though. Like the quest says he's dead, but Halsin will party with you and hang out in camp.
On the item itself...
I find it strangest of all, you can't kill Gale... take the scroll and revive literally ANY DEAD PERSON along the way. Especially Kanon.

For once I'd like to see Arka survive until I kill her myself.

*cough* I mean ... let them live happily.
Originally Posted by xnihil0zer0
and expect the story to remain coherent.
And here is where i get the impression that you didnt read what i writed. :-/
The point was that you can make people live again, yet let their "temporary death" affect story just the same as if they stayed dead ... its still a lot additional work for sure, but it certainly IS possible.

It would be useful with the bug when you get attacked at your camp and the characters who are not in your party start to attack you as well. Would solve the problem of having to restart from an earlier save.
© Larian Studios forums