Larian Studios
Posted By: Miek Shield proficiency - 22/10/21 02:18 PM
Unless it's solely for balancing issues, I'm wondering why the shield proficiency is locked to the fighter, cleric and ranger classes (not even druid?). Light and medium armor proficiencies can also be obtained through a few races, in addition to classes. Couldn't shield proficiency be merged to medium armor proficiency, or at least be somewhat extended?

For example, I would expect a shield dwarf to be able to use a shield.

It seems like a balancing issue because you could easily create a shield dwarf arcane caster with 19 AC in the tutorial (15 AC half plate + 2 shield + 2 Dex), but isn't the problem the overpowered half plate availability?

Edit: Removed edit, was correct the first time if the wiki is ok.
Posted By: JandK Re: Shield proficiency - 22/10/21 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Miek
It seems like a balancing issue because you could easily create a shield dwarf arcane caster with 19 AC in the tutorial (15 AC half plate + 2 shield + 2 Dex), but isn't the problem the overpowered half plate availability?

Where are you getting half plate?
Posted By: Miek Re: Shield proficiency - 22/10/21 02:56 PM
Lae'zel has a Githyanki half plate (AC 15) when you meet her in the tutorial.
Posted By: JandK Re: Shield proficiency - 22/10/21 03:03 PM
Lae'zel has a Githyanki half plate (AC 15) when you meet her in the tutorial.

Ah, I see. I never take her armor away from her. Wasn't thinking about that.
Posted By: polliwagwhirl Re: Shield proficiency - 22/10/21 03:41 PM
Unless it's solely for balancing issues, I'm wondering why the shield proficiency is locked to the fighter, cleric and ranger classes (not even druid?).
The druid does have shield proficiency in BG3 and 5e. Were you trying to equip a metal shield though?

For example, I would expect a shield dwarf to be able to use a shield.
Shield dwarves, which is another name for mountain dwarves, do not get shield proficiency in 5e:
https://5e.tools/races.html#dwarf%20(mountain)_phb
Posted By: Miek Re: Shield proficiency - 22/10/21 04:06 PM
Oh I took the information from the wiki, but it must simply not be up to date (was probably done before the druid was made available).

And you're right, I forgot shields also required a proficiency in 5e. Thanks.

I guess the best way to get it in bg3 for an arcane class is to take the moderately armored proficiency, at least for the time being.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: Shield proficiency - 22/10/21 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by polliwagwhirl
Were you trying to equip a metal shield though?
That is allready implemented? O_O
It was not when i last tryed ... my Druid was running around in Gith Half Plate with Flaming Fist Shield like its no biggy. laugh
Posted By: polliwagwhirl Re: Shield proficiency - 22/10/21 07:26 PM
I don't think it's implemented yet, I haven't played druid since the patch 5 launch though.
© Larian Studios forums