Larian Studios
Posted By: vyvexthorne How do I disarm traps? - 07/10/20 09:05 AM
I'm playing a rogue, I passed a perception check and found a trap but disarm is greyed out. Clicking my thieves tools on the trap does nothing. Clicking the trap my character just says, "I can't see any way to disarm it." Also , object highlighting doesn't seem to work. I hold alt (or in my case tab because I switched the alt and tab keys around) and nothing is highlighted. The characters keep passing perception checks and saying.. "ooh, that's interesting" but I have no idea what they might be seeing because nothing is highlighted.
Posted By: Tomaface Re: How do I disarm traps? - 07/10/20 10:12 AM
Is this in the Crypt where you find shadowheart? I had the same problem. Also playing as a rogue.
Posted By: vyvexthorne Re: How do I disarm traps? - 07/10/20 10:32 AM
According to a thread on reddit I guess there are also trap tools or a trap kit or something? You'd think a rogue would start with these but apparently you find them somewhere. .. I currently can't really progress in the tomb as there's a button that when you press it revives a bunch of dead scribes that can pretty much decimate shadowhart and I with a couple spells. I can't win this fight so I guess I have no choice but come back later. I almost got them once but that was like ten reloads ago. Kind of unbalanced at the moment. Guess I'll go look for fricken trap tools. I'm not frustrated.. :p
Posted By: Aww_PooSnax Re: How do I disarm traps? - 08/10/20 03:49 AM
I have a trap disarm kit, perception kicked off for a chest, and it does have a trap on it, but no option for disarming it, and clicking "use" on the trap disarm kit doesn't do anything. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: How do I disarm traps? - 08/10/20 04:24 AM
I didn't have an issue with disarming traps yesterday. Astarion passed his Perception checks, I right-clicked on the trap to bring up the menu, and Disarm was an available option (not greyed out) and he disarmed everything.
It's possible that you were walking alongside someone else in your party that they passed the Perception check, but your Rogue failed it. As long as the character who passes the Perception check has the ability to disarm traps and you have a trap disarming kit it should work.
Posted By: vyvexthorne Re: How do I disarm traps? - 08/10/20 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tzelanit
I didn't have an issue with disarming traps yesterday. Astarion passed his Perception checks, I right-clicked on the trap to bring up the menu, and Disarm was an available option (not greyed out) and he disarmed everything.
It's possible that you were walking alongside someone else in your party that they passed the Perception check, but your Rogue failed it. As long as the character who passes the Perception check has the ability to disarm traps and you have a trap disarming kit it should work.

Nope.. I had separated from the cleric and was running around the crypt room by myself. I found all the traps on the floor (disarm greyed out.) Uncovered all the gargoyle heads (disarm greyed out) and of course the button.. which I could only switch off after the trap went off.
I haven't found another trap since I picked up the rest of the characters so I'll just have to wait until that happens. I also haven't found any sort of "trap kit." I've found plenty of thieves tools though.
Posted By: Nyanko Re: How do I disarm traps? - 08/10/20 07:49 AM
I had some issues as well to picklock doors and chests. It's not intuitive at all. If you don't have the thieves tools on your shortcut bar, you have to go into your inventory and right click on the tool to use it.

I will try to right click on a chest next time to see if it works that way.
Posted By: Madscientist Re: How do I disarm traps? - 08/10/20 10:19 AM

If that is true it makes no sense.
Not everyone who is good in perception is good in disarming traps and vice versa.
Once you found a trap every char should be able to try to disarm it, not just the one who found it.
So the cleric ( high wis ) spotts a trap and tells the rogue: "Hey dude, I just found a trap. Could you please try to disarm it?"
Posted By: Stabbey Re: How do I disarm traps? - 08/10/20 01:49 PM
I'm not sure trap disarming is in yet. Even with trap disarm kits in hand, I couldn't find a way to disarm the spike traps in the swamp or the explosive on the chest (and yes I did spot the trap with perception). I could disarm the fireball-shooting gargoyle heads, but there were so many compared to the number of hits I had that it wasn't worth doing.
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: How do I disarm traps? - 08/10/20 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Stabbey
I'm not sure trap disarming is in yet. Even with trap disarm kits in hand, I couldn't find a way to disarm the spike traps in the swamp or the explosive on the chest (and yes I did spot the trap with perception). I could disarm the fireball-shooting gargoyle heads, but there were so many compared to the number of hits I had that it wasn't worth doing.

I disarmed every single trap in the infamous crypt sludge/fireball room. I think there were something like 10-12 traps in there. Didn't run into any issue.
Posted By: HakkaStyle Re: How do I disarm traps? - 08/10/20 02:13 PM

I disarmed every single trap in the infamous crypt sludge/fireball room. I think there were something like 10-12 traps in there. Didn't run into any issue.

Might I ask how? I have clicked on trap, right clicked on trap, etc. Obviously I am missing something there. I got past that room by putting boxes and stuff on vents.
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: How do I disarm traps? - 08/10/20 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by HakkaStyle

Might I ask how? I have clicked on trap, right clicked on trap, etc. Obviously I am missing something there. I got past that room by putting boxes and stuff on vents.

I put Astarion in the lead since he was better with Perception checks and unchained him so that my character wouldn't follow him around and accidentally trigger something. Had Astarion walk up to each of the floor traps first to trigger the Perception checks to spot them to begin with, of which he failed none. Then right-clicked to bring up the contextual menu, selected Disarm, and he proceeded to disarm them. Then I walked him over to the gargoyle heads along the walls, got him close enough to trigger the Perception check, right-click, Disarm. He also had quite a few sets of thieve's tools and disarming kits, so I'm assuming that you'd need to have one or both in order for it to be an option.

If you've done all of the aforementioned things, you should be able to disarm anything without much of an issue. But of course, it's early access, so if you tried doing these things before the small hotfix yesterday, it may have broken something in that process that's prohibiting people from disarming traps entirely.
Posted By: Stabbey Re: How do I disarm traps? - 08/10/20 03:41 PM

I could disarm the gargoyle heads there as well. Can you disarm the spike traps in the swamp or the trapped chest which explodes? I couldn't see a way how, even with trap disarm kits.
Posted By: HakkaStyle Re: How do I disarm traps? - 08/10/20 03:52 PM
Ahhh I think when I tried to disarm i was still grouped. Maybe that is the issue. My Rogue never got a disarm option like I do for unlocking doors.
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: How do I disarm traps? - 08/10/20 04:32 PM

I could disarm the gargoyle heads there as well. Can you disarm the spike traps in the swamp or the trapped chest which explodes? I couldn't see a way how, even with trap disarm kits.

Haven't gotten to the swamp yet since I'm taking this playthrough slow so as not to burn myself out, but I'll try to remember to report back once I get there.
Posted By: Cedeos Re: How do I disarm traps? - 09/10/20 09:31 AM
I got an issue with disarming in the crypt as well. I was able to disarm two of the traps and failed the check on the third. Then on all other traps in the room the disarm was greyed out, as if I had failed the check on them as well. Maybe a bug? Fail one, fail all? Just my experience.
Posted By: vyvexthorne Re: How do I disarm traps? - 09/10/20 04:10 PM
I finally found a trap kit right next to a trapped chest.. (took me 15 hours to find a trap kit.. that's not right.) and it doesn't do anything. I unlock the chest, then a perception check follows which I pass and then the chest blows up if I do anything else, right clicking the chest gives me no option to disarm (not even a greyed out disarm) and clicking on the kit doesn't do anything.

Just wondering.. People not having problems are you using Astarion as your main rogue? I created my own rogue and maybe that's the problem. Maybe Astarion works as a rogue because they've obviously tested with him but on your own rogue it's not implemented yet. Or maybe it's by race, like implemented on elves but not other races? I'm currently playing a Teifling. I don't know.. at any rate something is broken and needs to be fixed.
Posted By: Baraz Re: How do I disarm traps? - 09/10/20 05:05 PM
In the crypt, you can place any item over the grates (the floor traps) to block them (I knew from my experience with DOS). The difference is DOS explained that to the player in the tutorial.

There is a way to stop traps in the Dark Crypt (do not want to spoil it).
Posted By: clavis Re: How do I disarm traps? - 11/10/20 01:11 AM
it's probably a bug, I've had it happen at random times with random characters. For the most part you have to have lockpicks (they only work to unlock things) and a disarm kit (to disarm things only) It may be you have the lockpick ones, vs. having the disarm kit. Once you fail the kit is gone and unless you have another one then the selection will either be greyed out, or not show up. Can't remember which. Some chests will pop a perception check when you unlock them, there is a reason for it. be wary if this happens.
Posted By: Loki the Cat Re: How do I disarm traps? - 11/10/20 04:08 AM
You do have to make a roll on Unlock / Disarm, and yes, failing = Tool is destroyed. You don't find many of the Disarm tools.
Use Guidance to help on your roll (Cleric).

I have seen some situations where a Perception pops up and I couldn't figure out the "Trap" (Tunnel behind Druid camp had one), with some Oil Barrels nearby. Out of paranoia, I just moved the Chest away from the Oil Barrels (Don't forget how "usable" the environment is) and opened it in a safer place.
Posted By: clavis Re: How do I disarm traps? - 11/10/20 06:00 AM
Originally Posted by Loki the Cat
You do have to make a roll on Unlock / Disarm, and yes, failing = Tool is destroyed. You don't find many of the Disarm tools.
Use Guidance to help on your roll (Cleric).

I have seen some situations where a Perception pops up and I couldn't figure out the "Trap" (Tunnel behind Druid camp had one), with some Oil Barrels nearby. Out of paranoia, I just moved the Chest away from the Oil Barrels (Don't forget how "usable" the environment is) and opened it in a safer place.

yeah I've had problems with that one recently not showing a disarm trap. Did the trap still spring when you opened it??
Posted By: BrianDavion Re: How do I disarm traps? - 11/10/20 08:28 AM
yeah they really need to do a better job of highlighting what your perception roll finds. I often have my character pass a perception roll nly to not see what they saw
Posted By: clavis Re: How do I disarm traps? - 11/10/20 04:38 PM
it is within 15 feet, not sure what that is in meters but roughly half of your movement in meters. Based on that you can usually just scroll around, or left alt (this I'm unsure about not having found need to try it) to see if something is brought up. Other times your rather close to it if your like me and are going through an area quickly. (which i'll admit can be dangerous, do to traps.) I find myself seeing the die roll begin and hitting space to stop my movement, and look for whats glowing. It tends to happen on successful rolls b4 the rolls confirmed, much the same as the die roll showing up red (i think since I'm color blind and it could be green. I'm switching what it is that I see, to what is the normal case. green being red to me)
Posted By: nickabbey Re: How do I disarm traps? - 12/10/20 07:11 PM
I had the same experience with this chest. Tried drag and dropping kit and tools to hot bars but they did nothing. Tried right clicking the kit and tools in inventory, neither changed the interface to pick a target for disarming. If you close the inventory window after doing so, clicking the chest just opens it and the explosions go off. I looked around for a key thinking unlocking it might bypass the trap, but didn't find one.

Incidentally, despite this issue on the chest and one or two other chests/doors with the same behavior, I WAS also able to spot and disarm every single trap in the crypt. I had to save scum to disarm them all without burning through my available kits, but it worked. This chest and others like it seem to not be working right. I noted others during first play through, but didn't keep track. I will try this time.

Best guess on this is that there's a mix of things not WAI and players not knowing what to expect. This specific chest (and one or two others like it that I encountered) may be bugged in a way that you don't get a "disarm" option when you right click. Could just be a bug here. That mechanic worked fine for me in the crypt and other places where traps worked similarly. IE) Disarming the trap directly or finding a button to do it. In terms of not knowing what to expect I mean that all traps aren't handled the way I just mentioned. I like what Larian is doing, there. It's another layer of gameplay that I find enjoyable. I figured out that, for example, the floor grates in the swamp can't be disarmed (at least, I didn't find a way, maybe there was a passive I missed for a button or lever). They had to be covered so they couldn't trigger, and that was just as satisfying as finding a button to turn them off.
Posted By: Newtinmpls Re: How do I disarm traps? - 12/10/20 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by BrianDavion
yeah they really need to do a better job of highlighting what your perception roll finds. I often have my character pass a perception roll nly to not see what they saw

Oh please yes!!
Posted By: clavis Re: How do I disarm traps? - 12/10/20 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by nickabbey
I had the same experience with this chest. Tried drag and dropping kit and tools to hot bars but they did nothing. Tried right clicking the kit and tools in inventory, neither changed the interface to pick a target for disarming. If you close the inventory window after doing so, clicking the chest just opens it and the explosions go off. I looked around for a key thinking unlocking it might bypass the trap, but didn't find one.

Incidentally, despite this issue on the chest and one or two other chests/doors with the same behavior, I WAS also able to spot and disarm every single trap in the crypt. I had to save scum to disarm them all without burning through my available kits, but it worked. This chest and others like it seem to not be working right. I noted others during first play through, but didn't keep track. I will try this time.

Best guess on this is that there's a mix of things not WAI and players not knowing what to expect. This specific chest (and one or two others like it that I encountered) may be bugged in a way that you don't get a "disarm" option when you right click. Could just be a bug here. That mechanic worked fine for me in the crypt and other places where traps worked similarly. IE) Disarming the trap directly or finding a button to do it. In terms of not knowing what to expect I mean that all traps aren't handled the way I just mentioned. I like what Larian is doing, there. It's another layer of gameplay that I find enjoyable. I figured out that, for example, the floor grates in the swamp can't be disarmed (at least, I didn't find a way, maybe there was a passive I missed for a button or lever). They had to be covered so they couldn't trigger, and that was just as satisfying as finding a button to turn them off.

I agree with you and think that players (those new to 5e) aren't aware of the intricate details wrapped up in D&D, though 5e is far more basic then those before it, or most of those. Still it's a lot to learn, and the lack of quality tutorial is only hindering a great game (so far)
Posted By: nickabbey Re: How do I disarm traps? - 13/10/20 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by nickabbey

Just had more evidence for this not WAI on this specific chest.
Whole room was adjacent to chest and all rolled passive investigations. mixed pass/fail but astarion def failed. Selected him, right clicked the chest and had the disarm option. Passed first try. failed lockpick once, got all the goodies in the chest. This was in the secret room next to the
"Underdark - Fort" waypoint
© Larian Studios forums