Larian Studios
Posted By: New Here ability skills turns NPC hostale - 10/08/22 10:01 PM
when taking the boat from "Underdark - Beach" and meet up with the DUERGAR
on the boat ride, and cast friend to improve your chances and successes you still get a hostile
reaction when you land on shore again, and dont know if this is a general bug but the third cutscreen to land on
shore is triggert after you land and move around.

Class Warlock - The Fiend
Race Thiefling - Asmodeus
Origen Charlantan
Crew Shadowheart - Astarion - Lae'zel

I hope i put this the right forum
keep up on the good work
Posted By: fylimar Re: ability skills turns NPC hostale - 11/08/22 12:20 AM
Getting hostile after Casting friend works as intended. If you cast friend, the npcs will know it, after the spell wears off and will become hostile. Same with Charm.
Posted By: Niara Re: ability skills turns NPC hostale - 12/08/22 07:27 AM
Bear in mind - the intention of Friends is to negatively affect the disposition off the charmed person once they realised you used magic on them. 'Hostile' in D&D is a dispositional state, meaning that they will generally not want anything to do with you, will not be inclined to listen to or believe you, may threaten or warn you away, and will generally be hostile; it doesn't mean "They will attack you".

Translating into a video game, where 'hostile' has a more tangible and hard-line definition, this is often misconstrued to the point were a creature charmed by such a spell will go 'red border' and literally turn combat-hostile at you once it ends, and that should not be the case unless they were already inclined to throw down with you. If this is happening here, I'd encourage people to submit it as a bug report to Larian's formal bug form (Here), and give the feedback that it shouldn't do this.
Posted By: The Red Queen Re: ability skills turns NPC hostale - 12/08/22 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Niara
Bear in mind - the intention of Friends is to negatively affect the disposition off the charmed person once they realised you used magic on them. 'Hostile' in D&D is a dispositional state, meaning that they will generally not want anything to do with you, will not be inclined to listen to or believe you, may threaten or warn you away, and will generally be hostile; it doesn't mean "They will attack you".

Translating into a video game, where 'hostile' has a more tangible and hard-line definition, this is often misconstrued to the point were a creature charmed by such a spell will go 'red border' and literally turn combat-hostile at you once it ends, and that should not be the case unless they were already inclined to throw down with you. If this is happening here, I'd encourage people to submit it as a bug report to Larian's formal bug form (Here), and give the feedback that it shouldn't do this.

Agreed, most NPCs who have been turned hostile by Friends and other attitude-changing actions of the player shouldn’t then throw their lives away by attacking a better armed adventuring party that outnumbers them four to one. Far better for them to refuse to interact with the party. Unless, as you say, they are inclined to/designed to be suitable for fighting you anyway. That arguably could apply to the duergar on the landing stage though.

I confess I’ve avoided casting Friends in BG3 just because I’ve been traumatised by poor implementations in the past. I also wish the spell would force a WIS save for the NPC to notice you’re influencing them, but that might make it too useful and anyway I suppose is about DND rather than BG3, not that I’m knowledgeable about the former.
© Larian Studios forums