Larian Studios
Posted By: BGforumlog (Bug) edge panning always resets - 04/08/23 10:21 PM
Final release bug:
Edge panning stops always after each cut scene or fight, only can be actiated when pressing w-a-s-d
Very annoying, please fix asap.

See also thead: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1086940/discussions/0/3808408328760742985/

Posted this a few times but also the forum seems to be buggy...
Come on guys, you should do better after 3 years of EA.
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 05/08/23 06:28 AM
I can confirm this. A lot of people complain about this. It is really annoying. Please fix it ASAP.
Posted By: Kerro Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 05/08/23 07:10 AM
Same here and not only that this was a known bug years ago. Three years in the oven and its released with a game breaking bug like this. Its literally unplayable at the moment it is so distracting. Honestly even ten dollar indie games can get edge panning right!
Posted By: VerSo Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 05/08/23 07:58 AM
Same issue here really annoying it really breaks the flow.
Posted By: The Red Queen Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 05/08/23 08:07 AM
I agree that the way edge panning is disabled when the camera is locked to a character is really annoying, and first having to unlock the camera by, eg, pressing a camera move key is frustrating as it means it's no longer possible to just use the mouse for camera and movement control which it was in EA. I have submitted a bug report directly to Larian about this one.

I think I find it most irritating actually in combat, when the camera jumps to the next party in the initiative order and edge panning locks, only for me to have to unlock it to survey the battlefield.

I wondered if it were an intentional change if play testers found it a problem losing the camera lock to their controlled character if they moved the cursor too close to the edge of the screen and having to keep reapplying it. I know that did sometimes happen to me in EA. But still, I'd rather that than have to constantly be pressing the movement keys.
Posted By: Kerro Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 05/08/23 09:01 AM
Its not perfect but if you have a gaming mouse mapping one of your extra buttons to the move right action allows you to turn panning back on with a quick click. Like I said not perfect but much better and easier. Terribly sad that what appears to be such a good game is marred by this. Cyberpunk really copped it for less than this.
Posted By: VerSo Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 05/08/23 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Kerro
Its not perfect but if you have a gaming mouse mapping one of your extra buttons to the move right action allows you to turn panning back on with a quick click. Like I said not perfect but much better and easier. Terribly sad that what appears to be such a good game is marred by this. Cyberpunk really copped it for less than this.
Welp why didn't I even think of that... thanks.. while not perfect it's a lot easier to cope with till it gets fixed.
Posted By: Gt27mustang Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 05/08/23 11:11 AM
Same here. Worked perfectly in EA, not anymore. Please fix.
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 05/08/23 04:53 PM
I reported the bug to Larian as well. Please do it too so that they now it is widespread and give it higher priority.
Posted By: TheInvoker Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 05/08/23 08:23 PM
+1
So annoying. Every time i switch character, it's locked again
Posted By: Kerro Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 05/08/23 09:36 PM
A number of updates have come down fixing insignificant things but a game breaking bug continues. Surely this game was play tested before release I mean what have they been doing for three years. I can't believe no one noticed such a bad bug.
Posted By: BGforumlog Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 06/08/23 07:35 AM
What bothers me is that this issue was not present in EA (i had a few panning edge issues though also in EA, but not this persistent) . This might indicate that this was done on purpose, so i am afraid that this was considered as a "feature" by Larian?
Seems it's best to stop playing for one month and then log in again and play the game after bugfix (if this is considered as a bug - if not, this would mean a real downgrade of the game for me)
Posted By: Drakemoor Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 07/08/23 05:16 PM
One can only hope they'll fix it asap.
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 07/08/23 06:54 PM
No way, this cannot be a feature. I think it is there because of consoles/gamepad. They implemented gamepad which doesn't need edge panning and forgot to remove that for KB+M. It's my theory.
Posted By: Kerro Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 07/08/23 09:16 PM
No word from the developers on fixing this. My guess is the next thing we'll get in someone trying to spin this bug as a wonderful new feature and the future of gaming. What a shame to completely stuff a game with such a stupid mistake. If it was easy to fix it would have already been implemented. Also amazing that so many of the glowing write ups just mention 'clunky camera' rather than calling it what it is, a game breaking bug.
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 08/08/23 12:59 PM
I believe it is easy to fix. It was not like that in EA. They just have to look what changes to camera they did to the full release build and find the code that caused this. I am not afraid it is a feature or it is hard to fix. I am just afraid they don't fix it soon because not many people complain about it.
Posted By: TheInvoker Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 08/08/23 04:45 PM
better fix sex scenes....yeaaaah
Posted By: avahZ Darkwood Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 08/08/23 05:04 PM
+1
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 08/08/23 07:18 PM
Unfortunately, it seems penis clipping has higher priority. They didn't fix the edge panning in the second hotfix. frown
Posted By: Kerro Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 08/08/23 09:37 PM
I think its time the developers made some sort of statement on this, just ignoring it isn't helping. Its a game destroying bug that is ruining an otherwise excellent game. Daily updates but still this hasn't been fixed tells me its not going to get fixed. This isn't like playing a game its more like playing against the game totally immersion breaking. Come on developers fess up and let us know what is being done about it. Do we need to shelve it for another three years while this gets attended to?
Posted By: Maap74352 Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 09/08/23 12:44 PM
Just Adding to the list. Same issue. Fine in EA. I did do the button thing on my Logi G502 mouse mapping an arrow button. Emersion breaking especially during combat
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 09/08/23 12:50 PM
The seriousness of this bug is that you have to face it even several hundred times per hour. That's why it is so annoying, and you should fix it ASAP. Every bug is bad but it is not so bad if you, for example, encounter one clothes clipping per hour than when you have to face Edge panning bug several hundreds times per hour. This bug drives me crazy. Please, fix it.
Posted By: Wolfenring Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 11/08/23 03:51 AM
Originally Posted by BGforumlog
Fehler bei der endgültigen Veröffentlichung: Edge Panning stoppt immer nach jeder Schnittszene oder jedem Kampf, kann nur beim Drücken von w-a-s-d aktiviert werden Sehr ärgerlich, bitte reparieren Sie es so schnell wie möglich. Siehe auch die Ade: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1086940/discussions/0/3808408328760742985/ Ich habe das ein paar Mal gepostet, aber auch das Forum scheint fehlerhaft zu sein... Kommt schon Leute, ihr solltet es nach 3 Jahren EA besser machen.
Totale Übereinstimmung, wie können Sie so etwas in der Release-Version veröffentlichen... unmöglich. Können Sie es nicht besser machen?
the camera management is completely free, happy camera it works look at the mods, learn how to do it.
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 11/08/23 07:28 PM
Hm, still nothing after third hotfix. frown
Posted By: VerSo Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 11/08/23 09:00 PM
Well at least they know about it and will fix it eventually..

BG3 Support <supportbg3@larian.com>
21:21 (1 uur geleden)
aan mij

Hi,

Thank you for your report, this issue is known and should be fixed in a future patch.

In the meantime, if you tap W,A,S or D and unhook the camera from a character, edge panning should work.
Posted By: Beechams Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 11/08/23 11:40 PM
The edge panning thing is, so far at least, my least favourite thing and there are quite a lot of things I do not like.
Posted By: TheInvoker Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 12/08/23 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by VerSo
Well at least they know about it and will fix it eventually..

BG3 Support <supportbg3@larian.com>
21:21 (1 uur geleden)
aan mij

Hi,

Thank you for your report, this issue is known and should be fixed in a future patch.

In the meantime, if you tap W,A,S or D and unhook the camera from a character, edge panning should work.

Good
But...it works for just 3 seconds until you switch character or talk to somoene or reload or do almost anything else
Posted By: Bg3 player Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 12/08/23 05:59 PM
The strange thing is... although there is an elephant in the room, noone of the youtuber enthusiastic gameplay analysts and content creators are mentioning this. Maybe they have other versions?
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 12/08/23 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Bg3 player
The strange thing is... although there is an elephant in the room, noone of the youtuber enthusiastic gameplay analysts and content creators are mentioning this. Maybe they have other versions?

I think they just use both KB+M a use WASD for panning camera. It's OK when you are near keyboard. But for me is much more comfortable to lean on backrest and play with just mouse.
Posted By: TheInvoker Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 12/08/23 11:51 PM
but i could use qwe asd for something else...there are so many things to bind
Posted By: Bg3 player Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 13/08/23 05:56 AM
Originally Posted by Pilda
I think they just use both KB+M a use WASD for panning camera.

Of course you CAN use it. And if there is no special fixed version circling around it seems everyone who is playing on PC has to use they keyboard every 20 seconds at least once to tap a key in order to unlock the camara again. If you dont, the view is just too limited. But do i WANT to be forced to press a key on the keyboard every 20 seconds when i could just use the mouse? This is something so big that i cant understand that it is nowhere mentioned, in no single review of this game. This is such an annoying big bug, frustrating and of course i would have returned that game on steam if i had bought it just now. The problem is, that i bought it a year ago for EA - and there it was ok. Now i can*t return it, and yes: for me, this bug is very negatively affecting my wish to play the game and i stopped playing it now in hope Larian will fix this bug with highest prio. But it seems they follow other priorities and this really sucks alot.
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 13/08/23 06:51 AM
I think the streamers and reviewers may not realize there is something wrong with it. They just use WASD and are not thinking about it.

I am also thinking about the devs. A week or two before release, Swen said that the build is locked and everyone is playing the game. So they also didn't notice it. It's ridiculous.

Edit: I edited the post, I didn't mean to insult anyone.
Posted By: Bg3 player Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 14/08/23 06:37 AM
Funny side note: a week ago a friend of mine was playing the game for the first time (no EA user) and told me, that the fights are insanely difficult and he can't see far enough to develop a ranged approach. After some asking forth and back it came clear that he didn't knew the camera can be moved further on (either with WASD or with edge-panning - which is deactivated by default and anyways not working). So only then he found fun in playing the game.
I wonder how many people are disappointed about the game because of exactly the same reason - and maybe even return it. In pathfinder or solasta i guess the edge panning is automatically enabled.
However, this game is more about movie-scenes than anything else i saw so far (which is a bit weired as the fan community of D&D might be exactly the opposite, not wanting to view a polished movie).
Anyways, very strange priorities are set here. Overall i enjoyed the feeling of game in Solasta much more, but i must admit the fighting-possibilities are better in BG3 - if you know how to get a view over the battlefield without mouse edge panning possibility.
Posted By: Banjomir Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 14/08/23 02:20 PM
Has Larian actually acknowledged that this is an unintentional bug, and not a "feature"?
Posted By: The Red Queen Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 14/08/23 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Banjomir
Has Larian actually acknowledged that this is an unintentional bug, and not a "feature"?

Yes, according to the info from Larian support posted by VerSo just above at https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=878929#Post878929.
Posted By: Hatelore Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 15/08/23 02:46 AM
I purchased the game on release, and I am level 3 and get bored/frustrated after 30 min because of the dumb camera panning issue. I tried to link W to my left mouse key and it was wonky but worked... That is until I tried to pick something up and my camera panned all the way to the right until I released the left mouse button. I bet its an amazing game, but life is too short for that kind of silliness. I would rather just play Div 2 or any other game.
Posted By: Hatelore Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 15/08/23 02:48 AM
That would be a silly feature, considering it ruins immersion after the 9000th time of hitting wasd to unlock the camera.
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 15/08/23 12:38 PM
As a workaround, I use macros for mouse. It is not ideal and it is still very annoying, but it is better than to use keyboard for fixing it. I hope, it will help you guys, till Larian fixes it.

One macro is just activating edge paning. It presses A and then D. You can see the macro settings here: https://ibb.co/m9yfqL7

Second macro is enhanced Camera Center control. It centers camera, zoom out and fix the edge paning. It presses Home, Page Down, D and A. Timing is important. Too fast presses can break the macro. You can see my settings here: https://ibb.co/y4WCXNp
Posted By: Bg3 player Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 15/08/23 08:35 PM
Hm... could you please elaborate more. This is new to me. I googled and only saw that there is a Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center existing, but as i have neither MS mouse nor keyboard this won*t help. Or do you use another tool?
Posted By: Kerro Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 16/08/23 03:44 AM
I've found as I've progressed further into the game the fights get more complicated and the edge panning issues starts to make them a complete exercise in frustration rather than enjoyment. If this was easy to fix it would have been implemented by now so I'm guessing its not. For me its game breaking and I really can't afford to have a game that's unplayable taking up so much space on my ssd. Time to retire this game and maybe come back to it if a fix is ever implemented or perhaps someone in the mod community fixes it for us. Such a shame but at the moment this game is no where near deserving of the 10/10 marks its getting from reviewers which I find very suspicious, it would seem none of them experienced this issue, were they supplied with a different version of the game than the one we downloaded?
Posted By: Pirlouit Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 16/08/23 09:00 AM
I'm on my second playthrough and it's starting to get on my nerves, especially in combat when casting or firing from distance, the camera always goes back to the caster / shooter, and you don't see what happen to your target.

I mean, this wasn't in EA in the weeks before launch, and I'm kinda wondering if that's an issue that could be tied to the controller implementation...
Posted By: TheInvoker Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 16/08/23 09:56 AM
Hm... could you please elaborate more. This is new to me. I googled and only saw that there is a Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center existing, but as i have neither MS mouse nor keyboard this won*t help. Or do you use another tool?

he has razer mouse
those screens are from synapse 3.

the problem is that you can't activate those macro when the mouse cursor is on the edge, you have to do it manually. so, at least for me, there is no improvement from the actual situation. forced to press keyboard or mouse the same thing since in this game i already use both. if a game is Mouse only, using the keybaoard would be a poroblem but i already have my left hand on the keybaord to press for: enlight things, stealth, jump, split group, switch weapons
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 16/08/23 12:23 PM
TheInvoker: Yes, the macros helps only for mouse only users. App AutoHotkey allegedly should support pressing keys when you move your cursor to the edge of screen. This could help. https://www.autohotkey.com/

But the camera moving sucks anyway. Exactly like Pirlouit wrote. You want cast a spell or so something and the camera goes back to the character. I would bet it was caused the impementation of controller.

Bg3: like TheInvoker wrote. It has sense only if you don't use keyboard at all and want only play with mouse. I used macros in mouse software. If your mouse software doesn't support macros, you can try to find a general app for macros, make the macros there and bind it to your mouse.
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 16/08/23 01:55 PM
This AutoHotkey script should theoreticaly fix the problem but it doesn't work for me. If there is someone who can write AutoHotkey scripts, please make it work.

#Persistent

; Get the current position of the mouse cursor.
MouseGetPos, x, y

; Check if the mouse cursor is at the right edge of the screen.
if x >= A_ScreenWidth Send {D}

; Check if the mouse cursor is at the left edge of the screen.
if x <= 0 Send {A}

; Check if the mouse cursor is at the top edge of the screen.
if y <= 0 Send {W}

; Check if the mouse cursor is at the bottom edge of the screen.
if y >= A_ScreenHeight Send {S}
Posted By: Bg3 player Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 17/08/23 06:25 AM
Yes, that would be the functionality you would wish a company with a team of 400 programmers could implement after years and years of programming. Really increadible. And still just silence on the official pages about this mess. Priorities are still on romance scenes it seems. I am so fed up with this hype about this game.
Posted By: TheInvoker Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 17/08/23 09:27 AM
This AutoHotkey script should theoreticaly fix the problem but it doesn't work for me. If there is someone who can write AutoHotkey scripts, please make it work.

#Persistent

; Get the current position of the mouse cursor.
MouseGetPos, x, y

; Check if the mouse cursor is at the right edge of the screen.
if x >= A_ScreenWidth Send {D}

; Check if the mouse cursor is at the left edge of the screen.
if x <= 0 Send {A}

; Check if the mouse cursor is at the top edge of the screen.
if y <= 0 Send {W}

; Check if the mouse cursor is at the bottom edge of the screen.
if y >= A_ScreenHeight Send {S}

if it dosn't work, it's not very useful...also i think it should have #IfWinActive, to make it work only with BG3
Posted By: Bg3 player Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 18/08/23 11:36 AM
Can anyone confirm that this workaround is applicable (and has no other drawbacks else than clicking on the extra button 100 times per hour - which i would prefer to reaching over to wasd on keyboard)?
If so, i would buy a multi-button (>2) mouse extra for this game.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1086940/discussions/0/3808408328760887569/?ctp=2

the author writes there:

SOLUTION:

I assigned my MouseButton4, to secondary "Move Camera Up" keybind. Or any camera movement shortcut in this case..
Now when the camera locks, I simply click that button and it moves the camera manually so the edge panning starts to work again.
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 18/08/23 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by TheInvoker
if it dosn't work, it's not very useful...also i think it should have #IfWinActive, to make it work only with BG3

It doesn't work because there is something wrong in the script, I have never programmed in this app. I just tried it now and I failed. If someone understand it, they could easily fix it and then it should work. This solution would be then a real fix for it.
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 18/08/23 02:36 PM
Can anyone confirm that this workaround is applicable (and has no other drawbacks else than clicking on the extra button 100 times per hour - which i would prefer to reaching over to wasd on keyboard)?
If so, i would buy a multi-button (>2) mouse extra for this game.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1086940/discussions/0/3808408328760887569/?ctp=2

the author writes there:

SOLUTION:

I assigned my MouseButton4, to secondary "Move Camera Up" keybind. Or any camera movement shortcut in this case..
Now when the camera locks, I simply click that button and it moves the camera manually so the edge panning starts to work again.

It may work but it is similar to the macros I made. You still have to click 100 times per hour.
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 19/08/23 08:07 PM
OK guys, I was able to fix the script and it is working now. It fixes the edge panning!

The only cons is that it applies to all windows if they are active so it is better to close the script if your are not playing BG and be aware if you ALT+TAB to windows. I tried hardly to trigger it only for BG but I was not able to do it. It also doesn't fix the automatic centering on the character.

The script does this: if you move your mouse cursor to the right edge of monitor, it presses D, if to the left, it presses A, if to the top, it presses W, if to the bottom, it presses S.

How to use it:
1. Install app AutoHotkey
2. Make a new text file, copy there the script and rename the extension to ahk
3. Run the file

If the script is running, you can see it near the clock with other icons of apps. Right click on it and Exit and you will close the script.

Here is the script:

WinGetPos, X, Y, Width, Height, A

#Persistent
SetTimer, WatchCursor, 10
return

WatchCursor:
MouseGetPos, MouseX, MouseY

if (MouseY >= Y + Height - 1)
{
SendInput, {s}
}

if (MouseY <= 0)
{
SendInput, {w}
}

if (MouseX <= 0)
{
SendInput, {a}
}

if (MouseX >= A_ScreenWidth - 1)
{
SendInput, {d}
}
return
Posted By: Kerro Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 19/08/23 09:57 PM
This is all very well to try and use macros or reprogram your mouse so you only have to click that 100 times an hour but how about this novel idea, wait for it. I think the developers should fix it, what about that for a solution? Obviously hasn't occurred to the brains (lack of) trust at larian. I've given up on the game, it feels to me as if the developers searched the internet and did their best to incorporate every known bug into this game. As well as the on going panning issue I've got a few other bugs, direct x crashes and lately my team have all gone bald for some reason. Its all so distracting I can't see how anyone rated this game above 5/10.
Posted By: Hatelore Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 19/08/23 11:50 PM
Agreed, I purchased the game but got sick of it in about 30 min after dealing with the panning issues. I tried playing over and over, but only last about 30 min at a time due to the issue. I am waiting until it is fixed, hopefully by then all the bugs are ironed out. Def would have torrented it, if I had known about the issue. Sorry not sorry, if that offends anyone.
Posted By: The Red Queen Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 20/08/23 12:17 AM
It's not a matter of offence, but talking about pirating the game is not okay on Larian's own forums. No more of that please.
Posted By: Mumf Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 20/08/23 04:59 AM
A big THANK YOU to pilda for your effort. I regret buying the game for alot of reasons, this was amongst the top (edge panning). At least the forum members care. Thank you
Posted By: TheInvoker Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 21/08/23 10:13 AM
OK guys, I was able to fix the script and it is working now. It fixes the edge panning!

The only cons is that it applies to all windows if they are active so it is better to close the script if your are not playing BG and be aware if you ALT+TAB to windows. I tried hardly to trigger it only for BG but I was not able to do it. It also doesn't fix the automatic centering on the character.

The script does this: if you move your mouse cursor to the right edge of monitor, it presses D, if to the left, it presses A, if to the top, it presses W, if to the bottom, it presses S.

How to use it:
2. Make a new text file, copy there the script and rename the extension to ahk
3. Run the file

If the script is running, you can see it near the clock with other icons of apps. Right click on it and Exit and you will close the script.

Here is the script:

#Persistent
return

WatchCursor:

{
SendInput, {s}
}

if (MouseY <= 0)
{
SendInput, {w}
}

if (MouseX <= 0)
{
SendInput, {a}
}

{
SendInput, {d}
}
return

i told you that if you want it to work only on BG3 you have to add

#IfWinActive
https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/v1/lib/_IfWinActive.htm

but i don't know where exaclty. i only made 2 simple scripts for other things.
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 21/08/23 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by TheInvoker
i told you that if you want it to work only on BG3 you have to add

#IfWinActive
https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/v1/lib/_IfWinActive.htm

but i don't know where exaclty. i only made 2 simple scripts for other things.

I know, I tried it and it didn't work for me. I tried to add a condition that apply only if the exe is bg3 or the title is the title of the window, and so on. I tried many things and nothing worked. I don't know why. AutoHotkey contains an app - spy and it says exactly the title or right exe of the game when it is running. So I was sure I put the right title or exe. Maybe windows itself blocks it for me somehow.

If you copy the code to google bard or bing chat and ask to make it run only of the exe is aaa or title bbb, it will write it for you. But it doesn't work for me. Try it on your computer, maybe it will work for you.
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 21/08/23 03:19 PM
Fix version 2.0

I was able to change the script so that it triggered only for BG3. It works very well now. Only problem is that it works only for dx11 version. If you use Vulkan, you have to replace in the script bg3_dx11.exe with bg3.exe. I tried to do it compatible with both exes and I was not successful.

How to use it:
2. Make a new text file, copy there the script and rename the extension to ahk (if you use Vulkan, replace bg3_dx11.exe with bg3.exe)
3. Run the file

Here is the script:

#Persistent
return

WatchCursor:
WinWaitActive, ahk_exe bg3_dx11.exe
{
{
SendInput, {s}
}

if (MouseY <= 0)
{
SendInput, {w}
}

if (MouseX <= 0)
{
SendInput, {a}
}

{
SendInput, {d}
}
return
}
Posted By: Bg3 player Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 21/08/23 07:00 PM
Thumbs up ! I haven't tried it yet as on holiday, but will definately do so once i'm back home.
The company should pay you for helping out fixing the most annoying bug in release (not in-game).
Quite irritating for a 10/10 rated game.
Posted By: Hatelore Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 21/08/23 11:06 PM
Agreed, I give it 3/10 due to this issue alone. Can't believe they would release it with this active.
Posted By: TheInvoker Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 22/08/23 09:39 AM
it's working. good fix, even if i can't rebind WASD to something else. Still waiting for official fix
Posted By: SOCombatMedic Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 24/08/23 10:52 AM
Same issue here. I'm using the work around where I mapped an extra mouse button to a direction hot key so I can quickly unlock the camera but it is super annoying (and also steals a mouse button I could use for something else) but would like to see a fix soon.
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 24/08/23 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by SOCombatMedic
Same issue here. I'm using the work around where I mapped an extra mouse button to a direction hot key so I can quickly unlock the camera but it is super annoying (and also steals a mouse button I could use for something else) but would like to see a fix soon.

Check the fix of mine I posted on previous page. It is a real fix.
Posted By: Mumf Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 25/08/23 01:39 PM
Did it get fixed now? For me, after Patch, is still not working. Any other experiences?
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 25/08/23 02:47 PM
No
Originally Posted by Mumf
Did it get fixed now? For me, after Patch, is still not working. Any other experiences?
No, they didn't. It's ridiculous.
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 25/08/23 03:10 PM
Guys, you don't have to use AutoHotkey app to use the fix of mine anymore. I compiled exe files. So just download the right exe for your version, run and enjoy edge panning in BG3.

Fix for DX11 version is here.
Fix for Vulkan version is here.

Edit:
Please, guys, like the fix or add it to bookmarks on steam so that it was more visible for other guys. It's here.
Posted By: flloyd Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 25/08/23 10:13 PM
Really now? 4.5 hotfixes and a huge patch and still edge panning is not fixed and broken? Can Larian comment on that? When will it be repaired?
Posted By: Kerro Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 26/08/23 02:53 AM
Incredible a huge patch but the game breaking bug continues. Yes they fixed being able to dye someone's underpants but never mind about the game breaking bug that prevents so many people from playing the game. Takes your breath away. Oh well maybe in 3 years.
Posted By: Mumf Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 26/08/23 06:08 AM
It shows their prios. Immature , prepubertary focus on digital romance scenes. Definately i will not buy anything which comes crawling out of the lower back of this company in future, no matter how hyped it is by youtubers. What they are very good is, is marketing obviously.
Posted By: Bg3 player Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 26/08/23 08:53 AM
> 3000 views alone here in the forum, but no single reply from Larian when they have the kindness to fix this.

Over all: a very disappointing situation.
I'll go with Solasta DLCs in the future.
Book it on lessons learned.
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 26/08/23 09:06 AM
I just don't understand their priorities. Someone writes them that they have to 200x per hour solve the edge panning bug and the game is hardly playable for them and they set the priority for fixing the bug lower than a clipping penis or coloring panties. It's not normal.
Posted By: Beechams Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 26/08/23 09:16 AM
I agree with everything you folks are saying. I use this mod:
Native Camera Tweaks
https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/945

Installation and demonstration video here:
Posted By: JustMeHere Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 26/08/23 10:39 PM
Bump
Posted By: Kerro Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 27/08/23 12:30 PM
The mod really doesn't help at all with the edge panning issue. I also think WASD pretty much worked already as its what you need to do to get the edge panning to work. Most of us don't want to use wasd just want the edge panning to work correctly. I agree that it seems some of the developers seem to be representative of pre pubescent teenagers with their fixation with genitals and women's underwear whilst ignoring this game destroying bug. I've got one message for those developers 'Grow up'.
Posted By: JandK Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 27/08/23 02:35 PM
What I find odd about the edge panning is that it worked fine in early access. I'm not sure why it was locked in full release. There had to be some reason. Maybe some people were getting annoyed with it because they kept accidentally triggering it? I don't know. I do miss being able to use it without having to reach for the keyboard, though.
Posted By: Hatelore Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 27/08/23 09:12 PM
Yeah, I pretty much gave up on the game, the sexualization alone was dumb, but then to deal with a terrible camera. Just easier to go back playing Div 2 if I want a good rpg. Or many other games. I had no idea nerds fixated so much on animated sex, that was surprising to realize for me.
Posted By: The Red Queen Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 27/08/23 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Hatelore
Yeah, I pretty much gave up on the game, the sexualization alone was dumb, but then to deal with a terrible camera. Just easier to go back playing Div 2 if I want a good rpg. Or many other games. I had no idea nerds fixated so much on animated sex, that was surprising to realize for me.

I’d prefer folk weren’t so hung up on animated sex, too, and particularly that they’d not bring it up in threads that it has absolutely nothing to do with! Please let’s stay on topic.
Posted By: Kerro Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 28/08/23 02:14 AM
I think to be far Hatelore was mainly referring to the priorities of the developers in fixing colored panties and penis clipping rather than a serious bug that is preventing many of us from playing the game. Come to think of it given the demonstrated obsession with all things sex based one would have thought the devs would have fixed this immediately leaving on hand free for 'other things'.
Posted By: Bg3 player Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 28/08/23 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by Kerro
one would have thought the devs would have fixed this immediately leaving on hand free for 'other things'.

that was a good morning laugh for me!
Posted By: Bg3 player Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 28/08/23 04:52 PM
To Pilda : just came home from holiday and your ahk script is working like a charm. Thank you so much!
To the developers : shame on you.
Posted By: Hatelore Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 29/08/23 10:30 PM
I can see reading comprehension is not your strong point. I was referring to the priorities of the developers, and how they choose something so unimportant over a game breaking issue.

Additionally, last I remember; we kicked your Country back into the ocean for our freedom of religion and fair taxation, and in so doing we solidified a God given right of freedom of speech through our Constitution, namely in our Bill of Rights. You want to be a cop? Go be a cop IRL, this is a game forums where we can freely discuss technical issues at our leisure.
Posted By: The Red Queen Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 29/08/23 10:47 PM
Okay, being rude to anyone on these forums isn't okay. Being rude to moderators is even more unlikely to end well.

Hatelore will be taking a break. For anyone else, if you have any issues with moderator requests, I'm always happy to clarify by private message, or even to retract if you can convince me I've been overhasty. Arguing in thread isn't something we can tolerate.
Posted By: flloyd Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 30/08/23 11:17 AM
Can we please at least get some feedback from Larian on this? :-(
Posted By: Beechams Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 30/08/23 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by flloyd
Can we please at least get some feedback from Larian on this? :-(
Larian have just released another Community Update and it doesn't mention the camera.
Posted By: flloyd Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 30/08/23 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by Beechams
Larian have just released another Community Update and it doesn't mention the camera.

Yes I saw that and it was very disappointing. Especially when it says:

"First: we'll keep on monitoring what bugs you encounter and we'll make sure to patch them as fast as we can."

Edge panning has been broken for almost 1 month now and there hasn't even been any feedback about it. A signal that this will be fixed and that people are working on it.
Posted By: Sergey Butsenov Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 30/08/23 02:16 PM
yeah that's pretty annoying for me too
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 30/08/23 07:27 PM
Most hilarious is the loading screen text "Do you know you can set speed of edge panning or disable it in the settings?"
Posted By: Mumf Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 30/08/23 10:41 PM
This is really concerning me, maybe they don't see the ugency.
@ Red Queen : could you please get in contact to the "Community Manager" Salo and check back if they are aligned somehow with the felt urgency in the community concening this bug?
Just maybe, although they have a "community manager", they somehow don't understand that this is really something that older people, who are not in the Fortnite or ego-shooter fanclub are really taking a big issue with always need "surfing" with wasd keys. Maybe for them it is so normal, but for me (as older player) it is extremely annoying. But thanks to Pildas workaround, it is not a hot topic for me anymore, but it might be for many, many other players, who don't read this forum. And i guess there is a huge amount of "old" guys playing a D&D game, who don't like to surf with wasd permanently and might have a negative attitude about this game, although it could be such a good experience imho to play (i'm having more fun now, much more, with the workaround).
Posted By: The Red Queen Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 31/08/23 12:09 AM
I'm afraid I can't start acting as a go-between on specific technical issues. I know it's frustrating not to get an answer on an item you're personally invested in, but if you have reported the issue to Larian support (as I know I have) then it is will be logged and tracked. Unfortunately and perhaps unsurprisingly Larian's support team seem to be flat out at the moment as they're taking much longer than usual to reply. We also know that the community management team do keep an eye on the forums, though they don't tend to comment outwith community updates.

(Personally, while the edge panning issue bugged me a lot to begin with, I've pretty much stopped noticing it now. I'll still be glad when it's fixed, I'm sure, but my brain and hands seem to have adjusted to its lack for now. Though I should make clear that’s not why I’m saying I can’t act as go-between: the latter is a general policy about maintaining the boundaries of what my role here is, versus what is Larian’s job.)
Posted By: Pilda Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 31/08/23 03:59 PM
Finally, they fixed it today. Hurray!
Posted By: Maap74352 Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 31/08/23 04:10 PM
Yep. Edge Scrolling works again !!!
Posted By: The Red Queen Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 31/08/23 04:30 PM
Now I just need to retrain my reflexes again grin

Btw, I'll just say while I'm here that I know the Larian community management team are aware that we don't have info on the patch 2 accessible on this forum. They are having issues and will get it properly posted here asap.
Posted By: flloyd Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 01/09/23 11:14 AM
Finally, they fixed it today. Hurray!

Just saw it and spontaneously cried a little (with joy) ;-)

This is good news and a surprise. After a 3 week break I can finally continue playing!

Thanks!
Posted By: JandK Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 01/09/23 03:27 PM
I feel like an old friend is back. I forgot how much better it is to play with edge panning.
Posted By: Kerro Re: (Bug) edge panning always resets - 07/09/23 08:16 AM
Yes well done devs its finally fixed. Now we can enjoy the game as its meant to be and my word isn't it good. Unbelievable such an easy thing to fix could have spoiled a game so much but all is forgiven now. Won't be writing again too busy enjoying the game.
© Larian Studios forums