Larian Studios
Posted By: ShaolinStoner Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 16/08/23 10:54 PM
I just updated to hotfix 4. When I loaded the game I was not in the place I was when I saved and quit earlier. I went into load save and the last two quick saves that I made are greyed out. When I try to click on them I can't. I have the option to delete them but that's it. Now this isn't the biggest problem in the world because they were relatively recent saves and it's not going to kill me to go back and do some stuff again. I just thought I'd post here letting people know that my last two saves don't work after the hot fix this afternoon.
Posted By: TheTechnobear Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 16/08/23 11:03 PM
yeah, they have rolled back hot fix 4.... so any saves made with it are currently 'incompatible', until presumably we get a re-release of hot fix 4, or a new hot fix 5.

a rollback is fine, im sure it was necessary, but Larian really should communicate this... with a timescale for its replacement.
its caused a lot of confusion, as its just been done quietly with no word from them
and some of us need to know, do we suck it up and go back to an old save .. or just wait for the re-release?
(i.e. are we talking hours or days?)
Posted By: Crimsomrider Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 16/08/23 11:03 PM
They're aware and working on resolving it as soon as possible as they had to revert the hotfix partially.

It's no big deal for me personally, will just wait until it's fixed.
Posted By: ZachATK Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 16/08/23 11:21 PM
I second this. An estimated timeline would be appreciated, or barring that, a simple way to recover the incompatible save would be nice.
Posted By: Plantemath Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 16/08/23 11:28 PM
Same problem. Last available save is 56 minutes earlier. No way im starting again.
Posted By: yourdead Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 16/08/23 11:32 PM
Would be awsome if they could just add a dummy build with the hotfix 3 game files that could accept loading up hotfix 4 save files
Posted By: Jdunn Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 16/08/23 11:34 PM
Same I got two updates today and all the save files between them are no longer functional after the second update came through.
Posted By: WebSpyder Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 16/08/23 11:36 PM
Yeah, would really appreciate some communication when they do this. I just lost an hour of progress.
Posted By: Jdunn Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 16/08/23 11:45 PM
Hope everyone submitted their trouble tickets.
Posted By: Taaaaan Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 16/08/23 11:47 PM
They should really post a message about this...If I didn't come to the forum to look for an answer (I suppose many people won't), I would have been devastated about my saves today...
Posted By: rvhausen Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 16/08/23 11:49 PM
Arg, had gotten Halsin in my party finally, and started act 3. Now he's gone frown
Fingers crossed for a saved game fix.
Posted By: Cirrus550 Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 16/08/23 11:56 PM
Steam has this info modified on hotfix 4 release notes:
NOTICE: Due to a build error causing new crashes, we’ve rolled back Hotfix 4 for the time being. We'll re-release it as soon as we’ve fixed the cause.

If you’ve saved since updating, you won’t be able to load those saves until we’ve re-published Hotfix 4. You can keep playing on your Hotfix 3 saves, you just won't be able to load saves from today’s Hotfix 4 until it’s pushed live again. Sorry about the inconvenience

(8/16/23 @ 3:40pm PDT)
Posted By: SirMoogle Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 17/08/23 07:45 AM
Oof, kinda glad that I didn't have time to do BG3 yesterday. Hope everyone didn't lose too much progress!
Posted By: Clubbe Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 17/08/23 09:29 AM
This sucks so much!
Tried to play today but when i pressed continue the game loaded a save that sett med back over 3 hours.

Larian you have to fix this,Not cool that patches ruin the saves you have.
Posted By: RonThal Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 17/08/23 09:29 AM
Yes agreed, one sentence to give us an estimated timeline (like X hours or X days) would be great!
In the meantime I can rekindle with Diablo IV which I have completely neglected since BG3 final release laugh
Posted By: Szityo Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 17/08/23 11:06 AM
It's really annoying... I won't do the
[/spoiler]Katheric fight[spoiler]
again.... not because it was too difficult, but because I don't want to do something in the matrix again and again that has already happened once. That's why I don't reload a single save, no matter how the fight at the end or a dialogue turns out. Fix this fast please...
Posted By: Twig Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 17/08/23 11:25 AM
I lost 4 hours worth of saves yesterday. It would be VERY nice if Larian would at least post a note on the steam page that they are aware of this problem and are working on it.
Posted By: Cirrus550 Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 17/08/23 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Twig
I lost 4 hours worth of saves yesterday. It would be VERY nice if Larian would at least post a note on the steam page that they are aware of this problem and are working on it.
I do not know what steam page you want, but there is a steam page where exactly that has been done:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1086940/announcements/detail/6199820457255582872
Posted By: Retrac47 Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 17/08/23 12:08 PM
I waited overnight to see if it would be updated again, but it hasn't been. Can you please re-release this as a branch build? This is insane. I'm not going to redo several hours of playing when I don't have that kind of time to put towards games every evening. Guess we just don't get to play until whenever this gets fixed. It's better to be able to choose to play with crashes I probably won't encounter than not be able to play at all.

Edit: the very least you could do is allow people to manually download the patch. That costs you nothing.
Posted By: JandK Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 17/08/23 12:20 PM
Yeah, the patch 4 debacle feels like a weird decision.

Because it crashed some games, the decision was to roll it back, which basically crashed every game. I would understand if they knew it could be fixed quickly and pushed immediately back out, but it's been a while without an eta. This is definitely souring the experience.
Posted By: Naginata Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 17/08/23 01:02 PM
If i have not played since last Sunday i should be fine correct?
Posted By: JandK Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 17/08/23 01:25 PM
This is Larian's newest tweet on the subject:

"We have a candidate for a build, which is going through rigorous internal testing before it’s released. If all goes well, we aim to release Hotfix 4 by the end of the day, EU. We’ll let you know if and when anything changes."

https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/1692158962437640530

Fingers crossed. I'm very happy that they've offered an idea of how long it might take. Getting information really goes a long way.
Posted By: Bill Sawyer Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 17/08/23 03:01 PM
OK, you rolled back Hotpatch 4. All my saves were on Hotpatch 4. Am I stuck? Is my only option to restart? This would be a major issue for me. I hope there is a plan
Posted By: Vithaar Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 17/08/23 03:02 PM
great to know thank you! i'm having withdrawals smile
Posted By: Vithaar Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 17/08/23 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Bill Sawyer
OK, you rolled back Hotpatch 4. All my saves were on Hotpatch 4. Am I stuck? Is my only option to restart? This would be a major issue for me. I hope there is a plan

yeah sadly you have to wait until they re push back hotfix#4
Posted By: Bill Sawyer Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 17/08/23 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Vithaar

Has Larian confirmed that the "new" Hotpatch 4 will have compatibility with the "old" Hotpatch 4 saved files? Have you read anything about an ETA?
Posted By: Vithaar Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 17/08/23 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Vithaar

Has Larian confirmed that the "new" Hotpatch 4 will have compatibility with the "old" Hotpatch 4 saved files? Have you read anything about an ETA?

From their twitterL
https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/1692158962437640530

this should put the games version to match your old saves
Posted By: excitingwasted Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 19/08/23 07:52 PM
i can still not load old savegame , even after rerolled hotfix 4 etc....still greyed out and deprecated version

and for me it is not incompatible version.. there it is saying deprectated version....
Posted By: excitingwasted Re: Saves don't work after hotfix 4. - 19/08/23 08:23 PM
ok found out, that this is save before release, so i must start this char new again laugh my fault then
© Larian Studios forums