Larian Studios
Posted By: Tzelanit Performance Issues - 07/10/20 06:13 PM
I'm hoping to get some sort of megathread together where people can document issues that they're having specifically with performance.
I'm a bit concerned that although I'm right at about dead-center between the minimum and recommended specs that I'm getting performance for what would be considered "low" or "lowest" in other games with similar graphical demands.

I'm thinking maybe it could be set up something like this:

Specs: At or Around Minimum, Average, At or Around Recommended
Issues: Stuttering, Draw-In, Rubberbanding, General Framerate

I haven't heard much conversation about how much (if any) difficulty people are having with running the game, so I'm not sure if my issues are due to my hardware (which is just a few years old and would shock me if that's the issue) or if the problems are just part of the early access experience while optimization is being worked out.

You guys are great! Keep up the good work!
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: Performance Issues - 07/10/20 07:08 PM
Using MSI afterburner I see that Vulkan uses my gpu to the max -- 98 percent, DirectX uses it at about 64 percent with no performance loss. Temps climb rapidly on Vulkan -- I'm guessing that if anyone is seeing problems with Vulkan it is due to thermal throttling.
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: Performance Issues - 07/10/20 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Using MSI afterburner I see that Vulkan uses my gpu to the max -- 98 percent, DirectX uses it at about 64 percent with no performance loss. Temps climb rapidly on Vulkan -- I'm guessing that if anyone is seeing problems with Vulkan it is due to thermal throttling.

I'm having this issue where Vulkan is a slightly smoother experience, but there are these occasional "mini-freezes" that occur about once a minute where everything stops for 2-3 seconds.
DX11 doesn't have those lengthy hiccups, but there's more of a stutter and consistent drops in framerate.

At this point I'm not sure which is worse, honestly.
Posted By: Nyanko Re: Performance Issues - 07/10/20 08:02 PM
There are performance issues for sure. Heavy drops in framerate sometimes. The game is far less polished than DOS2 was in EA. But it's a much bigger project so it had to be expected.
Posted By: Wdude Re: Performance Issues - 07/10/20 08:08 PM
100% what im experiencing.

Vulkan :Is generally higher fps but I get these single random stutters (50ms spike) when I'm moving the camera around (especially when out in the world) Camera isa bit juttery too like you can see the camera is not doing a smooth pan when moving it around.

Dx11:Lower fps but it pretty much removes the random stutters when moving the camera around but you also have frametime issues when moving the camera around which makes the camera movement feel juttery/micro hitchy.In the dungeons/closed places I'v been the jutter/hitchyness is pretty much gone but it gets much worst when out in the world probably because there's much more stuff to load like trees,mountains.npc and etc...

This on a 1080ti/9900k/16gb 3200mhz/970 evo SSD.
Posted By: 519061367 Re: Performance Issues - 07/10/20 08:27 PM
Specs: GTX1060 with 6GB graphic memory, 16GB RAM, I7-8750 cpu

Issues: Only one issue, and that's is terrible fps, average 20 fps at best, sometime dip below 10 fps. Even I change all my setting to very low.
I don't have any crashes, only terrible fps.
Posted By: DANtifa Re: Performance Issues - 07/10/20 08:40 PM
Specs: Radeon Software Version - 19.9.2
Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin 2019
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 200 Series
Memory Size - 2048 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 945 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 14 GB
CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Issue: While I know I need a bit more RAM, the *obscene* amount the game is using makes it impossible to play for more than an hour without rebooting my whole system. 8 to 12 gb commit at any given time. Obviously higher in "populated" game areas. One chrome browser and the game is unplayable. If this is a me-problem, I'm happy to accept input.
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: Performance Issues - 07/10/20 09:31 PM
Great responses, everyone.
From what I can see in these responses, it looks like it's going to be a matter of optimization then?
Some of you have some great hardware that's more than capable of breezing through games with similar specs.
That gives me a lot of hope for things getting smoothed out if setups with an even higher than recommended baseline are bottoming out on performance.
Posted By: Markazzo Re: Performance Issues - 07/10/20 09:44 PM
Specs: RTX 2080 SUPER (8GB), i7 9700k, 16GB RAM.

I experience full crashed and severe visual lag when playing in 'vulkan'. When I switch to Dx11 everything runs just fine.

I have similar stutters with vulkan when playing Ghost Recon Breakpoint. Those stutters were so bad I refunded the game via uPlay.

Not sure if this is a 'simple' optimisation issue or something else is causing many people to have these stuttering problems.

Other than that, the game in dx11 has impressed so far. Let's hope these little hiccups get ironed out!
Posted By: Wdude Re: Performance Issues - 07/10/20 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Markazzo

I experience full crashed and severe visual lag when playing in 'vulkan'. When I switch to Dx11 everything runs just fine.

I have similar stutters with vulkan when playing Ghost Recon Breakpoint. Those stutters were so bad I refunded the game via uPlay.

Not sure if this is a 'simple' optimisation issue or something else is causing many people to have these stuttering problems.

Other than that, the game in dx11 has impressed so far. Let's hope these little hiccups get ironed out!

You sure dx11 is fine or just better then vulkan?Personally for me vulkan gets you stutters but dx11 doesnt but dx11 you can kinda feel the frametime is off when moving the camera in the open world.Do you notice the camera a bit bumpy when moving it around alot?Imagine moving the camera (w,a,s,d keys) without any shock absorbers over a slightly bumpy road as an example.Mainly noticeable in the open world with lots of things rendering like tree,environment,buildings.

Posted By: Markazzo Re: Performance Issues - 07/10/20 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Wdude

You sure dx11 is fine or just better then vulkan?Personally for me vulkan gets you stutters but dx11 doesnt but dx11 you can kinda feel the frametime is off when moving the camera in the open world.Do you notice the camera a bit bumpy when moving it around alot?Imagine moving the camera (w,a,s,d keys) without any shock absorbers over a slightly bumpy road as an example.Mainly noticeable in the open world with lots of things rendering like tree,environment,buildings.

You are right, dx11 feels a little jagged and crude, but I was simply speaking in graphical stability terms smile
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: Performance Issues - 07/10/20 11:11 PM

I think that the difference between the two is going to depend on the particulars of everyone's setup, and some people will have more luck with one than the other.
I'd be happy with just one of those options ending up great down the line.
Posted By: CkNoSFeRaTU Re: Performance Issues - 07/10/20 11:40 PM
For me on my old computer built in 2014 (EVGA X99 FTW (150-HE-E997), i7 5820k, 4x8GB DDR4-2400 Crucial Ballistix Sport (BLS8G4D240FSA) in quad channel, EVGA 3GB 780TI Dual Classified (03G-P4-2888-KR), win10) current vulkan perfomance is much worse than dx11. It has constant microstutters when moving/rotating camera and fps numbers dipped to uncomfortable 20ish fps values after ship prologue in most areas. When on dx11 I have no issues on ultra preset with steady 50-55 fps:
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

For now it looks like engine hasn't been optimized with dx12/vulkan lowlevel differences in mind yet. And vulkan implementation was just slapped on top of already existing dx11 renderer implementation without required rendering pipeline redesign. As a result it currently don't give any perfomance benefits which you would expect from lowlevel api and on contrary has the worse performance akin to wrappers.

Though mileage will slightly vary for everyone as geforce drivers generally performing worse on vulkan than radeons, especially on old cards, but performs way better on old directx apis.

Posted By: Xilior Re: Performance Issues - 07/10/20 11:44 PM
I have a pretty old computer, win 7, nvidia 980 4gm, 8gb RAM and I7 4790. Tryed playing it in high spec and it was running with low fps and a lot of hiccups. Changed to medium spec and it was the same, no change in fps and amount of hiccups.
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: Performance Issues - 08/10/20 06:09 AM
Originally Posted by CkNoSFeRaTU
For me on my old computer built in 2014 (EVGA X99 FTW (150-HE-E997), i7 5820k, 4x8GB DDR4-2400 Crucial Ballistix Sport (BLS8G4D240FSA) in quad channel, EVGA 3GB 780TI Dual Classified (03G-P4-2888-KR), win10) current vulkan perfomance is much worse than dx11. It has constant microstutters when moving/rotating camera and fps numbers dipped to uncomfortable 20ish fps values after ship prologue in most areas. When on dx11 I have no issues on ultra preset with steady 50-55 fps:
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

For now it looks like engine hasn't been optimized with dx12/vulkan lowlevel differences in mind yet. And vulkan implementation was just slapped on top of already existing dx11 renderer implementation without required rendering pipeline redesign. As a result it currently don't give any perfomance benefits which you would expect from lowlevel api and on contrary has the worse performance akin to wrappers.

Though mileage will slightly vary for everyone as geforce drivers generally performing worse on vulkan than radeons, especially on old cards, but performs way better on old directx apis.

I have no idea what you just said, but if Larian reads this, I'm sure that it's going to be very helpful, lol.
Posted By: Nyanko Re: Performance Issues - 08/10/20 07:17 AM
So I guess we can all agree Vulkan is running really bad on most machines. My RTX2070 doesn't like it either. Had to switch to dx11 too.
Posted By: Cinderelli Re: Performance Issues - 08/10/20 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by Nyanko
So I guess we can all agree Vulkan is running really bad on most machines. My RTX2070 doesn't like it either. Had to switch to dx11 too.

Same here. My TRX2080Ti was struggling with Vulkan in 4K, getting about 23 fps. I switched to dx11, average fps now about 65-70.
Posted By: Xuntarus Re: Performance Issues - 08/10/20 07:24 AM
Not sure if this is useful to the conversation or not, but it sounds like a lot of the issues I've been seeing while running the stadia version of the game. I just assumed it was streaming lag, but maybe their servers are having some of the same problems.
Posted By: CkNoSFeRaTU Re: Performance Issues - 08/10/20 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Xuntarus
Not sure if this is useful to the conversation or not, but it sounds like a lot of the issues I've been seeing while running the stadia version of the game. I just assumed it was streaming lag, but maybe their servers are having some of the same problems.

Depends on the issues. But performance wise it can be related as stadia nodes are powered by custom linux based on debian and custom amd gpus. It is also uses vulkan exclusively.
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: Performance Issues - 08/10/20 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Nyanko

] was definitely bottoming out more with Vulkan than with DX, but I just assumed that it was my hardware.
Posted By: Ocean_Potion Re: Performance Issues - 08/10/20 01:49 PM
Jammed the game last night on 1440p everything on Ultra or high? Just default. I had no idea we could switch between vulkan or dx11 so I dont know what its on.
I havent had any issues. Apart from my PC expending heat like a mofo.

Gtx 1080 8gb
Ryzen 1700
16gb ram
500gb SSD

Do find some slight stutters during cutscenes though, but I chalked this up to optimization and to be expected. Nothing game breaking
Posted By: Storsorgen Re: Performance Issues - 08/10/20 05:49 PM
I noticed that when I start the game, I have a solid 100 FPS in the Nautiloid area, but later on it dips into 40 in certain areas ( like the Underdark) while only using like 40% of my GPU.
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: Performance Issues - 09/10/20 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Storsorgen
I noticed that when I start the game, I have a solid 100 FPS in the Nautiloid area, but later on it dips into 40 in certain areas ( like the Underdark) while only using like 40% of my GPU.

Some areas definitely do better than others. The sheer drop-off is really staggering in some cases though. It's like the game is trying to draw literally everything from every area at once no matter where your party is.
Posted By: Choosen of KEK Re: Performance Issues - 09/10/20 04:16 PM
Anybody has the issue when the game is running semi-smoothly until it just totally freezes for 2-3 secs, then unfreezes and proceeds to work smoothly until the next freeze? I have a slightly below spec GPU (R9 270) that I am going to replace with RX 580 soon. I wonder if GPU is the real issue here though, can it bottleneck on the CPU? I have i7-10710U, which is newer than what they have in min. spec, but basically the same in benchmarks. The freezing issue is specific to BG3, I played a few other games on the same hardware without any freezing. While it freezes, I still can move my mouse around, it just doesn't change pointer shape when you move it over controls.
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: Performance Issues - 09/10/20 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Choosen of KEK
Anybody has the issue when the game is running semi-smoothly until it just totally freezes for 2-3 secs, then unfreezes and proceeds to work smoothly until the next freeze? I have a slightly below spec GPU (R9 270) that I am going to replace with RX 580 soon. I wonder if GPU is the real issue here though, can it bottleneck on the CPU? I have i7-10710U, which is newer than what they have in min. spec, but basically the same in benchmarks. The freezing issue is specific to BG3, I played a few other games on the same hardware without any freezing. While it freezes, I still can move my mouse around, it just doesn't change pointer shape when you move it over controls.

I notice that total freeze when using Vulkan. In DX11, the total freeze is more of a rough chop.

I've kept an eye on my particulars while running the game, and the consistent problem seems to be massive 100% usage GPU spikes that are causing the freezing in Vulkan and harsh stuttering in DX11.
Even if I turn my settings down to the lowest of the low, the GPU is still spiking very high using either V or DX.
I really, really hope that these are just things that need to be optimized because although I clear minimum specs, this game is making me feel as though my entire setup is garbage despite the fact that other relatively demanding games play fine on decently high settings.

My biggest worry is that I'm not seeing a lot of people specifically talking about performance issues, and these problems may get sidelined and written off as a minor inconvenience for a small handful of players that's not worth focusing resources on.
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: Performance Issues - 09/10/20 08:53 PM
Curious as to how everyone's doing after today's hotfix. Anyone notice any discernible bumps in framerate?
I don't seem to be getting quite as much stutter using DX11.
Posted By: Perpentach Re: Performance Issues - 09/10/20 09:13 PM
After Hotfix 2, I can´t play annymore. At the end of the loading screen the game crashes every time. Sadly, for me it´s getting worse frown

Before it was kinda playable with crashes after 20-40 minutes with DX11.
Posted By: Storsorgen Re: Performance Issues - 09/10/20 09:44 PM
I'm doing some investigation regarding the frames, since the game starts out with very good performance, but right before the introduction fight at the Grove my fps takes a noticeable dip.
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: Performance Issues - 09/10/20 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Perpentach
After Hotfix 2, I can´t play annymore. At the end of the loading screen the game crashes every time. Sadly, for me it´s getting worse frown

Before it was kinda playable with crashes after 20-40 minutes with DX11.

A few of my friends have mentioned that as well. They went from playing, to seeing Hotfix 2 was released, downloading it, and then not being able to play again loading right back in because of crashes.
Posted By: Tzelanit Re: Performance Issues - 10/10/20 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Storsorgen
I'm doing some investigation regarding the frames, since the game starts out with very good performance, but right before the introduction fight at the Grove my fps takes a noticeable dip.

Same thing happened to me. It feels as though the engine is trying to draw in waaay too many things that aren't relevant to what's going on in your main focus on-screen. It's a bit maddening.

Really hoping that the next hotfix focuses less on multiplayer and more on performance. I figure that more people being able to play the game at a proper pace would provide more valuable metrics, so I guess I don't understand why this hasn't taken a touch more priority. But of course, it's Early Access and we're early on in that process as well, so I understand.
Posted By: Vindraxyl Re: Performance Issues - 10/10/20 06:30 PM
A HUGE problem I had with Div 2, was this new feature MS added to Windows a few months ago. Yer gonna wanna make sure this is OFF, it's garbage. :P
Settings Image
Posted By: Mclyde Re: Performance Issues - 10/10/20 09:43 PM
I'm in the same situation as you. The introductio chapter is doing very well even in hih settings, but after that it's quite horrible.

I think the game is almost only using my Ram instead of using the processor and graphic card.

Did you find a resolution ?

Posted By: Druid_NPC Re: Performance Issues - 10/10/20 10:34 PM
On DX11 it runs smooth when first opening but a few minutes ingame and the fps start getting worse and worse. Reducing the graphics didn't help much, its definitely an optimisation problem.
Posted By: Wdude Re: Performance Issues - 12/10/20 06:39 PM
Yea the patch did nothing fps wise.The grove and anywhere remotely dense the performance is very much still erratic.Wierdly enough it only mainly happens when you manualy move the camera with the w,a,s,d keys that the frame time (fps) flactuates.If you follow the camera stuck to the character (which is slow and steady) its an ok experience but the moment you manually look far away the camera becomes blurry/juttery.
In closed spaces the issue is reduced greatly.

Oh and crashing wise I did get 3 crashes in a row the same way on dx11 after the patch.Basically I was in the underdark and threw a fireball at a grease spot and the game closed 3 times in a row when it exploded.Wierdly on the 4th time it didn't happen anymore.

Posted By: ExReey Re: Performance Issues - 12/10/20 06:56 PM

Vulkan :Is generally higher fps but I get these single random stutters (50ms spike) when I'm moving the camera around (especially when out in the world) Camera isa bit juttery too like you can see the camera is not doing a smooth pan when moving it around.

Dx11:Lower fps but it pretty much removes the random stutters when moving the camera around but you also have frametime issues when moving the camera around which makes the camera movement feel juttery/micro hitchy.In the dungeons/closed places I'v been the jutter/hitchyness is pretty much gone but it gets much worst when out in the world probably because there's much more stuff to load like trees,mountains.npc and etc...

What kind of frame rates are you getting?

I have a similar system, and performance is really TERRIBLE:

I'm on a GTX 1080Ti and 16GB RAM and @ 1440p high detail I get ~25-30 fps:

https://i.imgur.com/y5iClQY.jpg

Check the framerate counter in the corner.

Even worse: dropping down to 1080p gives me only 35 fps:

https://i.imgur.com/wFDaCfi.jpg

This is on a 1080Ti ffs!

I 'm running the latest nvidia drivers, and all my other recent AAA games run at normal framerates.

I'm really getting desperate.

Edit: this is in DX11; in Vulkan I get the same extreme random pauzes every 30 seconds or so, which renders it completely unplayable.
Posted By: Wdude Re: Performance Issues - 13/10/20 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by ExReey

What kind of frame rates are you getting?

I have a similar system, and performance is really TERRIBLE:

I'm on a GTX 1080Ti and 16GB RAM and @ 1440p high detail I get ~25-30 fps:

https://i.imgur.com/y5iClQY.jpg

Check the framerate counter in the corner.

Even worse: dropping down to 1080p gives me only 35 fps:

https://i.imgur.com/wFDaCfi.jpg

This is on a 1080Ti ffs!

I 'm running the latest nvidia drivers, and all my other recent AAA games run at normal framerates.

I'm really getting desperate.

Edit: this is in DX11; in Vulkan I get the same extreme random pauzes every 30 seconds or so, which renders it completely unplayable.

In the grove if I dont move my camera its around 80 fps.The moment I looking around in circles with the w,a,s,d keys the fps flactuates wildly from 50-80fps.I've seen it drop to the low 50s.(lowest I've seen)
Posted By: Lordsamuel45 Re: Performance Issues - 13/10/20 01:28 PM
just letting know from the steam forum i talked with some person who have performance issue that may be the CPU usage the game use since my CPU get max out for nothing
Posted By: Falagar Re: Performance Issues - 14/10/20 11:23 PM
So I read how someone was getting 100% GPU usage. For me it is not so much that, but I am getting 100% Hard Drive (SSD) usuage. When that happens, the game freezes (audio usually cuts out, but not always) for about 20 or so seconds......AND then resumes. The 100% Hard Drive usuage goes back down to normal around 0% up to around 50% or so. This can happen seemingly at random. Sometimes it'll go about 20 or 30 minutes before another freeze/100% SSD spike, and other times, the next minute. Like I said, totally at random. This is the only game this happens too. I'm not sure if this is related, or if anyone else is experiencing this? But I tried Googling a fix and have come up with nothing. Lastly, it does not matter what resolution (1080p, 1440p, whatever), what graphics settings, Vulkan or DX11, all this matters not. It just keeps on doing this. Hell, even on the Main Menu screen, it'll do it! Just sitting there in the Main Menu screen. 100% SSD usage and all. Thanks for any help anyone can provide. This is my Rig and my Youtube video showcasing this:

MD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
GeForce RTX 2060
16 GB Ram
2560 x 1440, 59Hz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WkdN11KNiU
Posted By: Blade238 Re: Performance Issues - 15/10/20 12:24 AM
I'm also having issues with performance. Was running smooth and 60 fps for a while, then after a dialogue it jumped to 100% GPU usage and dropped my game to a consistent 18 fps slideshow.
Posted By: Wdude Re: Performance Issues - 15/10/20 07:48 PM
I wonder if it could be the background data capturing they are doing.We know they have maps of where ppl died most so I'm assuming they have trackers in the background constantly to catch everything we do.I've heard of others game suffering similar issues when there was data collection constantly running in the background.
I've also heard of a single user who said he got better fps after he disconnected his internet which would align with my theory but it's all mainly speculation.

Posted By: gekkoe Re: Performance Issues - 15/10/20 08:44 PM
I get seriously lagged out when killing the hobgoblin boss. Seems that as soon as the fights get a bit large my 16gb i7 with nvidia 1070 and a fast SSD are just not enough for NPCs that are "Planning their next move." The fight takes approximately 5-10 times as long as it would if there weren't these long pregnant pauses.

Edit: Note all antivirus and other background software have been disabled, video has been turned down to medium to lower the number of seemingly-resource-leak-related crashes, but these pauses are still a problem.
Posted By: Falagar Re: Performance Issues - 16/10/20 06:54 AM
"I wonder if it could be the background data capturing they are doing.We know they have maps of where ppl died most so I'm assuming they have trackers in the background constantly to catch everything we do.I've heard of others game suffering similar issues when there was data collection constantly running in the background.
I've also heard of a single user who said he got better fps after he disconnected his internet which would align with my theory but it's all mainly speculation."

This all DOES in fact seem to track. I'm going to think that this could very well be the possible reason for the freezing for 20 seconds, then resuming, as well as the other related issues. And if that was the case, it makes me feel a lot better that it is nothing on my end, or rather how I have my settings. Thanks for the insight, dude laugh!
Posted By: PNWolf Re: Performance Issues - 16/10/20 09:27 AM
On Oct 13/14 I installed a new driver, received a windows update, and "patiently" waited for the latest BG3 patch to download through steam. I've been experiencing performance issues since receiving these updates.
My FPS drops or stutters while moving in and out of combat, and the game freezes for 30sec - 1min randomly while in combat.

- I uninstalled all/any older drivers
- Reinstalled the game
- Changed the graphics settings (which I can run at ultra) and disabled vsync
- Disabled Steam overlay and I'm playing on DirectX12

No solution. Then I tried playing in offline (and disconnected from wifi for the hell of it) and the game runs more smoothly. No freezes in combat and gameplay runs quicker. This is just a hunch, and with no solid proof, but this issue may be due to Larian's monitoring (as highlighted in their latest update).
Gameplay still doesn't feel right, so I'm using MSI Afterburner. Here is a screenshot of my performance:

https://imgur.com/a/Yw43KOU

- CPU is fine but GPU idles between 60 - 70% (no overheating), then drops to 30 - 60% while moving
- FPS is always 20 - 40
- RAM is 5000 - 7000mbs (I don't know if this is good or bad, but my gut says bad)
- I've cleared my cache, cleaned up disk space, and ended unnecessary tasks
- Changed Power Management settings

My rig:

- Windows 10 64 bit
- Geforce GTX 1060
- i7-7700
- 7.86 GB RAM

Sorry, I'm a noob and figuring this out as I go. I'm dropping this here as an FYI for anyone experiencing the same issues and for anyone who can give advice. This could be a problem with my rig, or this may be due to Larian's latest patch and/or poor optimization on their end.
Posted By: pfrgamer Re: Performance Issues - 17/10/20 04:31 PM
First of all thank you for creating this thread. Couldn't find any discussion about this topic anywhere else.

Here is what i did so far: My rig when i bought BG3 and tried the game for the first time was:

windows 10
gtx1080
intel i7 6700
8gb ram

The game was essentially unplayable with frequent huge fps drops and basically freezes every couple of seconds as i moved my camera. As i had suspected, 8gb was just not enough so i bought an extra 8gb of ram.

My current rig:

windows 10
gtx1080
intel i7 6700
16gb ram

Dramatic improvement from 8gb of ram. Game is now playable and the first section (in the alien ship) runs at a constant 60 fps.
As soon as i reach the camp or druid grove performance drops a lot. Every time i move my character or move the camera or both i get drops that can go to as low as 40 fps. These are very momentary and generally its in the high 50s but rarely at a constant 60 fps.

Changing the graphic settings does almost nothing as well as resolution. Anyway thanks again for this thread, hope performance improves as more updates are released.
Posted By: Abits Re: Performance Issues - 17/10/20 05:11 PM
Yeah performance right now are terrible. But to be fair dos 2 works great as opposed to other recent crpgs on my rig so I believe it will get better
Posted By: feylis Re: Performance Issues - 17/10/20 06:36 PM
GeForce GTX 1080, i5 8600K, 16GB RAM, game installed on SSD -- I am also getting the stutter for 2-3 seconds on Vulkan. I have yet to try the same problem areas on DX11.
Posted By: KernelPanic Re: Performance Issues - 18/10/20 03:18 AM
So far personally I've only had one really bad performance problem. I went into a cut scene and my FPS tanked. I quit the game started it over and Everything was fine.

That being said I'll talk a bit about my set up and specs. I'm running Linux, I use Pop!_OS and I'm running TK-Glitch 5.8 custom kernel for gaming.
I'm running the game in Steam with GloriousEggRoll latest proton. I'm running the game in Vulkan so I don't have do lose performance doing DX to Vulkan translation.

If none of that makes sense sorry, It's not as confusing as it sounds and all I had to do to play the game was install it and pick the GE proton setting in Steam.

My specs are
Ryzen 5 2700x using XFR to overclock
EVGA 1660 Super
16 gigs of Ballistix sport 3200mx with custom timings
Game is running on an inland NVME ssd.

I'm running in Ultra settings. I don't ever experience a 2-3 second freeze in Vulkan like others have experienced. I do have some microstutter when turning the camera.
To be honest I'm pleasantly surprised how well the game is running before optimizations have been made. Here is a screen shot of what FPS I'm getting here and what resources are being used.
I think the lowest I've ever dropped was low 50's besides that one time in the cut scene they tanked.
[img]https://ibb.co/hgjYP3L[/img]
Posted By: ConstantK Re: Performance Issues - 21/10/20 11:41 PM
Vulkan: high fps (~60fps) / less input lag (screen rubber banding when panning) but frequent full game client pauses of 3-8 seconds about once every 30 seconds to a minute. Similar to most other complaints about freezing / pausing. Definitely seems worse in big open areas.

DX11: much lower fps (~25), but huge input lag while panning screen, but no 3-8 second pauses.

Certain areas don't seem to be affected, such as small tight areas like a house basement.

Hope this thread stays alive so that Larian gets visibility on the performance issues.

System:
i5-8400
32 GB RAM
Msi GTX 1060 6GB
m.2 nvme SSD storage
Windows 10 Pro
Posted By: Cirrus550 Re: Performance Issues - 28/01/21 09:04 PM
I can confirm some of the earlier performance degradation issues. Game ran smoothly early gsme. Now I am getting these full stucks where even music pauses for a moment.

1440p medium on vulkan.

Intel I5-9600k
16gb ram
Asus dual 1660ti
Adata 8200 pro nvme ssd
Posted By: Lynoa Re: Performance Issues - 17/05/21 04:15 PM
Does anyone else still have these freezes? I can not really enjoy playing since ever so often the game freezes. Not only in combat but anywhere.
© Larian Studios forums