Larian Studios
Posted By: m.c. andrii "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 08/10/20 03:50 AM
Windows, Steam Edition

The quest "Save Mayrina" is bugged out for me. After lowering her from the cage, she does not talk with me, and the dialogue seems bugged. I click on her, and no conversation ensues. She doesn't move or anything, and no matter which party member tries to talk with her, nothing happens. Upon leaving the cave and restarting the game, she is still there and still unable to begin dialogue. If a dev sees this, the game is amazing so far and I can't wait to see it all polished up!
Posted By: EzKarn Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 08/10/20 01:48 PM
I ran into the same issue my friend you are not alone
Posted By: Waffle Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 08/10/20 02:04 PM
Seems the only way to finish this quest when you get this bug is to kill her and take her locket. Other people on other forums have said walking into the cage triggers the hag fight - but all it did for me was drop a character through and kill them.
Posted By: Ariannel Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 09/10/20 04:07 AM
Yep this happened to me, too. I lowered Mayrina and she walks out of the cage but I can't talk to her and going into the hag's room does nothing because it's completely empty. Not sure what to do at this point.

Edit: I'm wondering if the reason why this got hosed is because I

1) went straight through the fireplace and didn't get entangled with the bloodthirsty goblin dudes
3) figured out that the door was fake without putting on one of her masks
2) snuck past all the thralled people with masks on and didn't engage with them either

Maybe if I hadn't tried to be sneaky and followed the script it would have worked? I don't know....
Posted By: maxoverload Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 09/10/20 05:21 AM
I think I completely bypassed the script - Astarion killed Auntie Ethel in two hits with Wyvern poison, and I'd already killed her little fey sheep. This early in the game wyvern poison is a real nuke, good thing I've only found two of them. Fortunately I didn't encounter any real "bugs" per se, but Ethel's body ended up teleporting down to the room with the cage. I did manage to speak with Mayrina, and she acted is though I'd killed Ethel right in front of her. I thought I wouldn't be able to complete the quest (because I told the brothers "good luck" to avoid making my party mad) but I ended up finishing this section when I found the wand and used it.
Posted By: Farsalis Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 09/10/20 05:57 AM
just posted same question for this, was really confused since I also followed script (no chance to kill ethel, ran away)
Posted By: killerdude78 Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 09/10/20 06:23 AM
i killed her in the house with some good rolls and clever item usage but it did kinda screw the game up a bit, cant finish the quest to save her even though i used the wand and everything.
Posted By: mahe4 Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 09/10/20 07:31 AM
Same for me.
After my first confusion, i looked for a guide, to know, what i'm missing.
but it seems that a fight should trigger in front of mayrina, but it never triggered for me.
Posted By: isrzanza Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 09/10/20 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by Ariannel
Yep this happened to me, too. I lowered Mayrina and she walks out of the cage but I can't talk to her and going into the hag's room does nothing because it's completely empty. Not sure what to do at this point.

1) went straight through the fireplace and didn't get entangled with the bloodthirsty goblin dudes
2) snuck past all the thralled people with masks on and didn't engage with them either

Maybe if I hadn't tried to be sneaky and followed the script it would have worked? I don't know....

I followed the same steps (except I killed all the masked guards) and got the same result. (Mayrina is bugged and can't be interacted with)
Posted By: Amnixx Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 09/10/20 06:11 PM
I fought the masked thralls never used the mask but can't trigger Ethel fight either. Mayrina in the cage yells at the Hag and tells me to bash her head in but no Hag to be found.
Posted By: BiteyMcChomp Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 09/10/20 07:06 PM
Another Person with the same bug. Ran from the Redcaps, but did a chunk of Damage to Ethel first. Ran through the fireplace and down the stairs after her. Fought the confused mask wearers, then ran through the gas taking the least damaging path (and eating food to regen). Entering into cave, no Ethel, and talked to Mayrine in the cage (spouting lines about killing the hag. I couldn't bring myself to kill May though, so had Wyll pickpocket the quest item instead. not sure if that will count as complete, but can't be doing with redoing the entire thing.
Posted By: blindbeat Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 09/10/20 07:27 PM
Hello here! I'm in your party guys. Fought redcaps before meeting witch, went through door without wearing masks, passed behind masked buddies. And that bug happened.
Posted By: m.c. andrii Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 09/10/20 07:57 PM
That's so interesting, I never even heard that dialogue. I fought the redcaps, went inside, went through the door WITH the masks, killed the masked folks, and Mayrina does nothing.
Posted By: alexawow2006 Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 09/10/20 08:37 PM
i killed the hag upstairs before she ran away, but i had to realod a bit, and in one of the attempts i noticed she disappeared and i thought i would give a try and i smacked some aoe "area of effect damage" around , surprise the old lady was invisible laugh and i got just the right spot, so i took her out of invis and finished her,then killed ot the redcaps then i went downstairs long story with saving masked people but in the bottom i saw Marry in the cage and hags body was laying there too ... maybe teleported?? maybe i wasnt supposed to be able to kill her upstairs , who knows , i released Marry and looted everything when i went out of the cave she was there by the body of her husband and i had option to say that i can resurrect her husband, she said do it, and i did and then they both went the f. out of there, and i decided for just this one time i will let the undead walk away ))
Posted By: SirYounger Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 10/10/20 12:02 PM
Same bug here. I passed the initial perception check in swamp, so I never even saw the red caps as sheep, but I just left them alone when they baa'd at me. Got to the hut and when I insisted on talking about Mayrina the fight triggered. Ethel immediately went behind the fireplace and disappeared. I killed all the Red caps, went through the fireplace, went through the door without wearing the masks, killed all the mask wearers, and when I reached the cage room the bug happened. I never even really had any combat with Ethel. She changed, fled downstairs, and I never saw her again.
Posted By: mattimusprime Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 10/10/20 12:24 PM
Same bug here. I killed the redcaps, Gale saw through the fake door so didn't need the mask, killed the masked people then reached the cage room. When Mayrina is in the cage before it is lowered she is telling me to leave etc but as soon as it is lowered she stops talking. Can't start the conversation with her and the Hag never appears.
Posted By: nebelstreif Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 10/10/20 01:15 PM
The hag is invisible in the room with Mayrina. It seems she doesn't initiate combat. you can find her with Faerie Fire or other invisibility seeing effect. Otherwise, yo can try to hit her with area of effect spells to break the invisibility. She won't fight back, but if you kill her you can then finish the quest with Mayrina.

https://imgur.com/gallery/maTWucu
Posted By: Shield Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 10/10/20 01:20 PM
yeah, same thing happened to me, hag's lair was my favourite place in the game, bummer the final fight bugged out (also there is an arcane barrier outside the teleporter on the swamp?? by connor's grave) hope they fix it soon
Posted By: Haxzploid Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 10/10/20 02:01 PM
I have tested this for 6 hours.

The only way I have been able to trigger the regular fight with the hag, Is if I have let her have my or one of my party members eyes! This will trigger a cutscene just as you enter her "gallery"? the place with the wooden door, screaming person, cauldron and mirrors. I tried for ages making it work in different ways, but no..

Also when she reaches 10hp and gets her turn, she will negotiate for her life, and offer an ability point. I guess this is also broken, you just receive a clump of hair, you also receive a clump of hair when leaving the lair using the teleporter. Neither gives any ability points.. Did she just fool me? I guess it's meant to actually give an ability point, cause when you exit the lair using the teleporter, a placeholder "mission accomplished" pops up, and you get to choose from 6 rewards, I'm guessing 1 for each ability score type.

Posted By: HeavensBells Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 10/10/20 07:07 PM
+1
Actually Aunt Ethel just disappeared to me so I get no fight and I can free Mayrina from the cage but I'm unable to speak to her.

Loaded many saves, teleported around and went to camp and back from outside and nope Aunt Ethel went to limbo for me.
Posted By: Gabriel AT Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 10/10/20 07:44 PM
Yeah me too - cannot find the hag and cannot speak to Mayrina as well.
Posted By: Kwetcher Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 11/10/20 05:47 AM
Originally Posted by nebelstreif
The hag is invisible in the room with Mayrina. It seems she doesn't initiate combat. you can find her with Faerie Fire or other invisibility seeing effect. Otherwise, yo can try to hit her with area of effect spells to break the invisibility. She won't fight back, but if you kill her you can then finish the quest with Mayrina.

https://imgur.com/gallery/maTWucu

Thank you for this. I was able to finish the quest.
Posted By: Dragonlords Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 11/10/20 06:25 PM
Big thanks, Kwetcher, this worked for me too! I used fire bolt with Wyll's cantrip spell... attacking randomly near Ethel's spot as this showed on the map, found her and killed her easily. She was simply frozen and waitin on her last dying wish.
Just wanted to say that I did as above and used AoE effects to make her visible and then killed her. The quest log did update but when I talked to Mayrina the game just crashed. I filed a bug report but wanted to post just in case anyone else is having the same issue and searches the forums.
Posted By: ReyDSwords Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 12/10/20 05:58 AM
Now, is there an option to destroy the wand that can "resurrect" Mayrina's husband? You can destroy it in her dialog, sure, but I am not that heartless... The wand has infinite health, so is this really the only option?
If so, it doesn't feel right. If you can snap it in two in front of a grieving mother to be, you should be able to snap it in two in your camp or around the corner.
Same bug here. I saw red caps as red caps. Talked to Autie but didn't agree to give her my eye. Discovered that fire is a gate. Got out. Killed all four red caps and then returned to cross the fire. Put some hits on Autie but he escaped. Discovered with Astarion that gate was fake and crossed it. Crossed gas. Got into autie's room and saw Mayrina screaming. Hag appeared and cursed me and threated me but nothings more happened. I hit her to death and save Mayrina. She screamed to me about her baby and husband and leave. No combat at all...
Posted By: Albi Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 12/10/20 11:59 PM
I have another problem. I reached the Hag house from the Underdark by chance. I avoided the Hag and Mayrina and went sneaking (crouching) into her lair, pickpocketed the fake door, killed her minions and then she spawned when i stopped sneaking. I fought her near the final room and killed her. Went back up to check on Mayrina and she's fine, i told her i've killed the hag and she wanted to give Connor a proper burial. She even gave me an amulet so i thought ok the quest is over, GG. Well...nope now it's forcing me to use a wand to resurrect Connor. Beside the fact that is clearly a stupid thing to do, i don't understand why i don't have a choice. So i went near the coffin, used the wand, he turned hostile and i had to kill him. After that Mayrina got pissed and told me to get away. Meh.
Posted By: vicl450 Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 13/10/20 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by Ariannel

From the start, I told Mayrina that her brothers were dead outside. Then went through fireplace but fought the mask wearing folks. Figured out the fake door via Gale's arcana saving throw. Went down to where Mayrina is in the cage but no hag showed up. Mayrina kept telling me to burn the hag but nothing. Brought her down from cage then she doesn't talk with me.

I had restarted from the save when I was about to go through the fireplace. Same result. No hag. No Mayrina responding to talk.

Posted By: Feud Raultha Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 18/11/20 04:06 PM
My bug is different than most. I killed Auntie in the Tea room in 2 rounds flat. Guess I killed her too fast because even though I went and found the wand Mayrina only responds in the conversation with, “Come back soon!”. The wand doesn’t even come up in the convo. I can resurrect Connor but then he attacks and when we kill him she gets mad and storms off. And now I can’t get a “Complete” on this quest. Can’t, (won’t), reload to an older save. Any advice folks?
Posted By: Feud Raultha Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 18/11/20 04:15 PM
That’s my bug as well. Killed Auntie in her cabin too fast and now Mayrina won’t let me show her the wand. Any work around you’ve found? Do the devs ever step in here to help!?!
Posted By: Verte Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 18/11/20 04:16 PM
If nothing works then shove her into abyss, hopefully quest should update.
Posted By: Padzi Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 18/11/20 04:43 PM
This quest is bugged like oblivion.
No matter how I try to solve this, I always encouter a bug.
Posted By: Elaphros Re: "Save Mayrina" Quest Bug *SPOILER* - 13/10/21 05:47 PM
I killed the goblins, camped, almost killed the hag by stunlocking her upstairs before she finally got invis off and ran, went through the guards, went back up and outside, slept, then went all the way back down, snuck around, used invis to lower Mayrina, she wouldn't talk, fought the hag (get as many multi-target ranged as possible, like magic missile and scorching ray to clear the grand illusions) she'll start her dialogue when the hag is dead, and all the items in the Witch's final grotto will be available.

Maximum XP gains laugh

I think the devs need/intend to make Mayrina pass out or something after leaving the cage, and then have an unbreakable spell tied to the hags death on the room door.
© Larian Studios forums