Larian Studios
Posted By: Siliconhobbit Are Stats Capped in Early Access? - 09/10/20 06:09 PM
So far, of the 4 various characters I have created and tried out, all character stats have been capped at 15. For example, my first character was a Drow Wizard. Drow receive +2 to Intelligence. No matter what I did, I could not get that character's Intelligence above 15. In fact, none of that character's stats could be raised above 15 no matter how much shuffling of the 27 points I did.

Additionally, will there be other options for stat generation upon full release?

It seems to me that the current system for allotting points to one's Stats is anemic at best, resulting in slightly above average stats (15 tops) in some main stats and less then average (8 on the low end) for the rest of the stats.

I'm not sure of the overall intent regarding the current stat system but as a long-time DM for table-top games, I want my players to feel like they are the heroes. If a player cannot have more than a 15 in a stat, and on the low end they are looking at 8's and 7's...that's not heroic to me.

I'm all for a varying amount of diversity, but if a Mage is stuck with a 15 for an Intelligence, when they are striving for an 18 or better, that's not that good of a mage IMHO. Even with straight rolls of 4d6 - drop the lowest, you have a better chance of coming up with a roll of 14 or better over the current system in game.
Posted By: Crikk Re: Are Stats Capped in Early Access? - 09/10/20 06:27 PM
The point buy is per the PHB. It's one of the many ways of allocating your attributes (along with 3d6, 4d6 - drop lowest and the "standard set").

You should be able to get to a 17 by allocating points to 15 and then getting a +2 racial bonus (if it applies). Since no implemented race has +2 to INT, the best you can do is a 16.
However, 16 and 17 are both +3, so that shouldn't make any difference.

If you're a min/maxer, it does severely limit the "viable" race/profession combinations. Like, a Tiefling Ranger might be fun, but at best you're going to have a 15 DEX, so +2. Which is not ideal for your primary stat.
(Larian, if you read this, please implement Dispater or Glasya so we have a +1 DEX option for Tiefling!)

From a simplicity to implement and a "fairness" perspective (for multiplayer) I can see why they went with point buy. However, for single players games, there's no reason not to let somebody click "roll again" 400 times if that's what they really want to do.
Posted By: Siliconhobbit Re: Are Stats Capped in Early Access? - 09/10/20 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Crikk
The point buy is per the PHB. It's one of the many ways of allocating your attributes (along with 3d6, 4d6 - drop lowest and the "standard set").

You should be able to get to a 17 by allocating points to 15 and then getting a +2 racial bonus (if it applies). Since no implemented race has +2 to INT, the best you can do is a 16.
However, 16 and 17 are both +3, so that shouldn't make any difference.

If you're a min/maxer, it does severely limit the "viable" race/profession combinations. Like, a Tiefling Ranger might be fun, but at best you're going to have a 15 DEX, so +2. Which is not ideal for your primary stat.
(Larian, if you read this, please implement Dispater or Glasya so we have a +1 DEX option for Tiefling!)

From a simplicity to implement and a "fairness" perspective (for multiplayer) I can see why they went with point buy. However, for single players games, there's no reason not to let somebody click "roll again" 400 times if that's what they really want to do.

I'm well aware of the the numerous ways of generating/rolling/allocating points for stats within the 5e PHB.

What I am sating is, the system in which Larian specifically chose for BG3 is GARBAGE. It's not heroic and it makes for a pathetic character.

IN ADDITION, as I stated, no matter what I tried to do with 27 points, I cannot and have NOT BEEN ABLE TO set any stat above 15. I don't care what racial stat bonuses I have for any particular race, the stats that I can manipulate with 27 points, do not go above 15 during character generation.

Hope that clarifies my original post, for anyone that is unable to understand what I stated before.
© Larian Studios forums