Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
Well basicaly all they need to do with rotten wound from swamp is to change it to "until long rest" ...
A bit extreme, true ... but functional.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
addict
addict
The official campaign (OC) for Neverwinter Nights was based on a disease plague and subsequent city lock-down. I have a feeling it will be quite some time before anyone tries a story like that again.

For the game, usually disease manifests as a reduction in ability scores like strength or constitution. I wonder if that could be extended to include loss of use for equipment slots as well? If you get hit with rot grubs in one arm, for example, you could lose your ability to equip a shield or off-hand weapon. If you have an ear infection, you might not be able to wear a helmet. If you get a foot fungus, then you can't wear magic boots.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
So that you can wear a mask and get vaccinated in the game

no thanks. I like playing because these games are an escape from day to day life. I don't think people really want anything like covid or politics or vaccinations showing up in the game. It would be super off putting. I get that there are diseases in the game but vaccines take it too far in the eye-roll direction. like whats next after that? declaring all the gold you find to the tax collector at baulders gate so he can register your income and issue you W2s to file your baulders gate taxes? An in game lipid test scroll to see if you cholesterol is too high so you'll have to use more vegetables instead of fatty food to rest at camp or you'll end up with high blood pressure and have to take your baulders gate lipitor pills to bring your blood labs down and remove the -2 disavantage to athletics checks for being overweight? nope nope nope.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by SOCombatMedic
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
So that you can wear a mask and get vaccinated in the game

no thanks. I like playing because these games are an escape from day to day life. I don't think people really want anything like covid or politics or vaccinations showing up in the game. It would be super off putting. I get that there are diseases in the game but vaccines take it too far in the eye-roll direction. like whats next after that? declaring all the gold you find to the tax collector at baulders gate so he can register your income and issue you W2s to file your baulders gate taxes? An in game lipid test scroll to see if you cholesterol is too high so you'll have to use more vegetables instead of fatty food to rest at camp or you'll end up with high blood pressure and have to take your baulders gate lipitor pills to bring your blood labs down and remove the -2 disavantage to athletics checks for being overweight? nope nope nope.

Besides which, Neverwinter Nights already did the "city struck by a plague" storyline.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Getting a "rot" disease for 60 seconds is ridiculous.

It's also mechanically not interesting as it doesn't add anything to the game. You just stand still for a minute and wait for it to go away before going in combat or initiating dialogue. So it actually creates player downtime rather than being an interesting mechanic. You don't actively avoid diseases or bring cures because it's only an annoying minor inconvenience if you get infected.

By changing diseases into quick videogamey debuffs, Larian also made their cures obsolete. You don't need Lesser Restoration when you can just wait 60 boring seconds instead and save the spell slot. You don't ever need the Medicine skill which exists precisely for this. A skilled healer won't have a purpose, so why even play one?

Disease per definition should be a long term debuff to be interesting and meaningful. Diseases work well together with the concept of Long Rests and time passing. If only Long Rest would actually work as intended instead of just being a free ability reset button. An meaningful consequence from being diseased would be to replace the diseased party member with another while they recover, or to seek a healer.

A good example of how Larian tweaking the D&D ruleset here and there to make it more "videogame" causes a domino effect where big chunks of the game are rendered weird and meaningless.

Agree completely.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
An Aboleth can give you a disease.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Getting a "rot" disease for 60 seconds is ridiculous.

It's also mechanically not interesting as it doesn't add anything to the game. You just stand still for a minute and wait for it to go away before going in combat or initiating dialogue. So it actually creates player downtime rather than being an interesting mechanic. You don't actively avoid diseases or bring cures because it's only an annoying minor inconvenience if you get infected.

By changing diseases into quick videogamey debuffs, Larian also made their cures obsolete. You don't need Lesser Restoration when you can just wait 60 boring seconds instead and save the spell slot. You don't ever need the Medicine skill which exists precisely for this. A skilled healer won't have a purpose, so why even play one?

Disease per definition should be a long term debuff to be interesting and meaningful. Diseases work well together with the concept of Long Rests and time passing. If only Long Rest would actually work as intended instead of just being a free ability reset button. An meaningful consequence from being diseased would be to replace the diseased party member with another while they recover, or to seek a healer.

A good example of how Larian tweaking the D&D ruleset here and there to make it more "videogame" causes a domino effect where big chunks of the game are rendered weird and meaningless.
That's why often the line of thinking/school of design "pen & paper are a poor fit for videogames, so videogames requires explicitly videogame-y things" is complete trash when it comes to CRPGs.
Because they go out of their way to be convenient and simple without a single care for maintaining that sense of danger, wonder and adventure you'd expect from the genre, while at the same time needlessly bloated in terms of numeric values just ot fuel that skinner box vibe.

Last edited by Tuco; 10/02/22 03:17 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
this reminds me of the 2 minute(might be longer) real time fear spell in Baldur's Gate. It was awful. Some things just don't translate well to a video game.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
this reminds me of the 2 minute(might be longer) real time fear spell in Baldur's Gate. It was awful. Some things just don't translate well to a video game.

AD&D 2e is awesome.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
On the one hand, it'd have been nice if that spell ended as soon as combat was over. On the other hand, your ally running ahead in the dungeon into traps/other enemies was an important part of that spell's effects, and could add a lot of tension to the game...mostly frustration though.

Web, on the other hand, fuck Web (at least in P:Km). 1 minute per level, Reflex save to not be webbed and then an Athletics/Mobility to free yourself. Oh, Valerie with her negative Athletics/Mobility due to her armor literally can't escape? Guess I just have to wait for ~5 minutes. And unlike Fear, there's no risk that a character wanders into the enemy; they're just stuck.

So yeah, thought should be put into what spells have lasting post-combat effects. Although actually, Fear should be less impactful in BG3 since it's a turn-based game. In BG1&2, your Remove Fear spellcaster would have to chase after the scared ally who'd be running away in real-time, and thus you're often unable to catch up. Whereas in turn-based the target is frozen during your turn so you can more easily get in range to remove the condition. Something to also take into account when implementing lasting effects.

old hand
old hand
[Linked Image from 1.bp.blogspot.com]

addict
addict
We already have a parasite, we don't need AIDS on top of that.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by virion
Maybe then I'd care what happens during romance scenes.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Flooter
Originally Posted by virion
Maybe then I'd care what happens during romance scenes.
Savage

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard