Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Ok. Even this would be better than what we have now:

You kill everything in Moonhaven. Long rest. Next day, chance Random Encounter as you head back through the town. So, not a reset of enemies, like you have to clear an area all over again, but a chance that because a day has gone by, more enemies MIGHT be lurking in the area.

Though I still think the best would be random chance scenarios as described in my last reply.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Brainer
What BG3 could and should perhaps have instead are premade fights that happen if you long-rest in specific areas, like the Underdark. Carefully designed ambushes that make the player consider their camp as a combat map.

IMO it would be super interesting to have various options or outcomes indeed. So let's say that around the crypts when you rest you get the random encounter animation showing your party or someone on watch noticing bandits before they notice you. The game could then give you various skill checked option on how to proceed:
- try to hide (on success nothing happens this time, but bandits will show up next time)
- spy on them (they will be surprised if you attack, or you will have advantage on rolls if you speak to them)
- introduce yourself (possibility to influence outcome by dialogue)
- attack them (combat).

Would be fairly easy to even implement a kind of 'mini-bos' thing, let's say after 3 encounters in the same area with npc's from the same group (bandits, goblins, brain eaters, wildlife) you succeeded at passing, a mini-boss has to be dealt with after which the map goes 'quite' and you only have an extremely small probability to trigger a new random encounter. That way, at least the map's empty feeling and staticness makes sense in terms of narrative and it would be less immersion breaking.

I think if Larian were to approach these as a kind of mini-game on top of what is already there, it should be doable and add an extra 'unknown' layer of events that the current open (no fog of war) and static world desperately needs. Simply dividing the overground map in lets say four area's (excluding undark) and add one of these crafted random encounters to each area with NPC's/enemies that fit that area (e.g. goblins for North West corner, Brain eaters around nautiloid SW area , bandits for SE corner, and those orc like creatures i forgot the name of in the South west area) would mean 4 only need to be designed.

Variability can be introduced by randomizing the enemies that appear (e.g. 1 goblin mage, or two archers) but fixing it to a certain power level and making it progressive in terms of spawns, e.g. :
first time: 3 melee bandits
second time: 1 heavy armoured bandit with a bandit cleric
third time: bandit leader with 1 archer, 1 mage, one cleric
While also making it a 'progressing event' in terms of narrative, e.g. :after meeting the bandit leader in the final random encounter, this particular random encounter 'story line' ends, either because you defeat them, successfully avoided them trice, or did something else to resolve the issue (e.g. won them over to trade/fence with you after succeeding charisma checks).

Also given the apparent unwillingness of Larian to make a proper day/night mechanic (SAY SOMETHING ABOUT THIS NEXT TIME/PFH PLEASE), this could also offer an opportunity to give us nightcrawlers and shadow-lovers easy access to night time encounters and their currently much missed atmosphere...

Last edited by SerraSerra; 20/01/22 10:42 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by SerraSerra
Also given the apparent unwillingness of Larian to make a proper day/night mechanic (SAY SOMETHING ABOUT THIS NEXT TIME/PFH PLEASE), this could also offer an opportunity to give us nightcrawlers and shadow-lovers easy access to night time encounters and their currently much missed atmosphere...
I am actually fine with there not being a day/night cycle if it doesn't really add anything (as in, actually changing the world around, with NPCs going to sleep and new opportunities opening up) to the game. If it's just there, all it does is making the life for any and all non-Darkvision race miserable when it's nighttime. This is why humans are a garbage race to pick in Solasta, which leans really heavily into the light/darkness mechanics, and one of the mandatory fights against dark-thriving enemies forces you to do it during nighttime.

Limiting night battles to being attacked at camp would probably hit the sweet spot if done juuuust right.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Limiting night battles to being attacked at camp would probably hit the sweet spot if done juuuust right.

Please no , don't limit it to just that, please also include night time quests or other forced night (or simply not summertime noon) activities ... I want to see cozy lights and put my darkvision eyes to good use.

EDIT: going a bit off topic here, lets stick to 'random encounters done properly'

Last edited by SerraSerra; 20/01/22 11:38 AM.
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Night adventures with random encounters would be awesome!

Picture Moonhaven at night. You are walking past the schoolhouse after clearing it. Suddenly, phase spiders surprise attack you. Eliette had sent her children out at night to play.

You're in the bog at night. Zombies suddenly pop up out of the water to grab you. Ethel's past victims haunting the place.

You are on Risen Road. Out of the bushes crawls a living human, severed arm. It's been torn off by gnolls. "They're... They're still... Nearby..."

Several gnolls jump out of hiding, blood dripping from their snouts.

SO many things you can do at night to add an element of scary to the adventure.

I don't mind talking about Day/Night on any thread. You can pretty much relate it to any of the topics.

Last edited by GM4Him; 20/01/22 01:38 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Solasta's weakness is using the same few maps for random encounters over and over again. Maps like that should be very generic without notable buildings or landmarks so the repetition isn't as noticeable.

BG3 has much larger areas though. I'd like BG3 to have a system that would (re-)populate the existing map with monsters and encounters. After clearing the Blighted Village new goblins should come from the Goblin Fort eventually to investigate. Wolves and other beasts should smell blood where a battle took place and come for dinner. You should always be on your toes in the Underdark, never knowing when a drow or duergar patrol or a hook horror shows up. It's things like this that make the world feel real and alive i.e. immersive. BG3's world is static, scripted and lifeless. The missing day/night cycle is already very bad and the lifeless maps are the final blow.

The free magical teleportation from anywhere system would make random encounters largely pointless in BG3 of course. I would also like that system to be redesigned into one where the party actually travels from A to B by foot, just much faster. Solasta beats BG3 here as well with their fast travel system that moves the party on a map with the possibility of being interrupted by hostiles. I really dislike BG3's fast travel system both thematically and mechanically. Portals like that only the player can use don't make sense in Faerûn or any credible RPG setting, and mechanically they are just so convenient that they destroy any feeling of epic adventure, travel or distance. It's a gamey gimmick made real in Forgotten Realms and it sucks.

If done right, random encounters would be a great system to discourage Long Rest spam in BG3. There could be some amount of guaranteed safety if you rest sparingly, but once you start spamming rests the enemies should also become more and more likely to find you. There really needs to be an incentive to play well and manage your resources efficiently rather than just smashing the Long Rest button whenever you've spent a spell slot. A good (not frustrating) random encounter system would go a long way to fix that.

It would also give scouting, fleeing or otherwise avoiding combat a real purpose. If you don't have to go through them or kill them, you could avoid a random encounter and save your strength. Would give Rogues and Rangers a purpose. Perhaps talk your way out of it.

+1

Really like the idea of repopulation after a time. How cool would it be if you FT to the blighted village (or any othe travel point in a dangerous area) And you get attacked by a bunch of gnolls or ogres. That can up your adrenaline output a bit laugh.
That's what i miss a little, those "oh shit" moments.

Random encounters while long rest could simply happen in camp. Those must be chosen carefully, since i mostly rest when my party is out of spells and HP. A Random encounter that you cannot win would be counterproductive. Character resources should be filled up partly.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by UnknownEvil
Those must be chosen carefully, since i mostly rest when my party is out of spells and HP. A Random encounter that you cannot win would be counterproductive. Character resources should be filled up partly.

Giving us the possibility to hide or otherwise avoid the encounter by rolling ability dice could be an easy solution for being overwhelmed by a random encounter. It could also be a real use-case for SH's weird cleric subclass by aiding everyone to sneak/hide/lay low to avoid the encounter

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GreatWarrioX
Originally Posted by Icelyn
I am not a fan of random encounters. For me they slow down the pacing too much. I like how fast travel currently works in BG3. I like that BG3 doesn’t waste my time with lots of trash mobs or doubling back.
No one wants trash mobs or tedious uneventful doubling back.

That's not what is being suggested here by asking for fun meaningful random encounters or repopulating dead areas with creatures, or changing fast travel so it could be interrupted by said creatures.

I dont think Larian can avoid "trash mobs/battles", the game is simply too wide and complex. But they could give us exciting characters so its fun to battle with them. Ive suggested Battle Personalities to them. Blizzard is great example, they usually do a few abitilites, but they do them extremely well. Larian likes to do a ton of stuff poorly. Narrator could be used to make more exciting battles too. Music.

MMORPGs tend to be full of trash mobs/battles, yet people like to play them, because its all about self-progression. CRPG doesnt have that possibility, but theres indeed lots of main Characters.

You keep bringing up the idea of battle personalities around the forum and I'd really like to know what those are, because I have no idea. The only description I can think of for them really doesn't seem to make sense to me.

As for random encounters in BG3, I don't think there's a chanceof having good ones in this game at this point. It seems to me that the way the game has been designed thus far, there's no way to fit random encounters in without them being cheap and unsatisfying. I think that any really interesting, well-tailored random encounter system would require a very big push back of the release window to fit in well, and maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like it wouldn't improve the game enough to justify the time.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
Would the random encounters award XP? I think something to consider is that the developers might want to limit how much you can level at any given stage so that players experience growth that correlates with the main story. Random encounters could be used to grind XP, gold, gear, etc.

What could the reward be so that the encounters still feel rewarding but don't provide an exploit for over-leveling too quickly?

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Again the point is that the Random Encounters would not happen very frequently. I'm not looking for a random encounter every few minutes or something. I don't want to be like in Pokemon when you roam through tall grass.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
The exploit still exists, however...

I'm still curious to know your ideas on the rewards, though. I've thought about it before but kept running into the issue of capping the player to a certain level per major plot point. They could try adding interesting sub-plots tied to certain random encounters but they would only be able to do so many of those. In general the encounters would be formulaic, right?

I imagine that, especially on subsequent play-throughs, the encounters would feel like they are getting in the way if the rewards aren't satisfying enough or if you've already encountered all the unique encounters.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by MrToucan
Just disabling resting in certain locations doesn't solve the problem.
You can't REALLY solve the problem because "solving the problem" would imply taking a firm stance and making a necessary design decisions which is NOT going to fly with a certain type of user base (you should know which one: the one "I freak out if I hear even just vague rumors of any hard limitation").
So at least creating the inconvenience is a start.

"It doesn't matter because you can always take a ten minutes hike outside of the entire area" isn't really that strong of a rebuttal, because it handwaves dismissively the fact that taking that detour outside of the area to circumvent the impossibility to rest would be annoying and a time consuming, so something that at least mentally well adjusted users would limit doing as much as possible.

That said, if it was up to me I'd be more than in favor of having occasional areas that are both off limits for long rest AND impossible to leave (at least without consequences) until certain situations have been solve.

Last edited by Tuco; 21/01/22 02:30 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
Originally Posted by SerraSerra
I am actually fine with there not being a day/night cycle if it doesn't really add anything (as in, actually changing the world around, with NPCs going to sleep and new opportunities opening up) to the game. If it's just there, all it does is making the life for any and all non-Darkvision race miserable when it's nighttime. This is why humans are a garbage race to pick in Solasta, which leans really heavily into the light/darkness mechanics, and one of the mandatory fights against dark-thriving enemies forces you to do it during nighttime.

I would add all night/day cycle, raining, lightning, humidity, storms etc. This kind of game doesnt have "landscape" like first/third person, gotta go with another visual stuff.

Death Stranding's snow mountain was epic experience.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 21/01/22 02:35 AM.
G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Originally Posted by GreatWarrioX
Originally Posted by Icelyn
I am not a fan of random encounters. For me they slow down the pacing too much. I like how fast travel currently works in BG3. I like that BG3 doesn’t waste my time with lots of trash mobs or doubling back.
No one wants trash mobs or tedious uneventful doubling back.

That's not what is being suggested here by asking for fun meaningful random encounters or repopulating dead areas with creatures, or changing fast travel so it could be interrupted by said creatures.

I dont think Larian can avoid "trash mobs/battles", the game is simply too wide and complex. But they could give us exciting characters so its fun to battle with them. Ive suggested Battle Personalities to them. Blizzard is great example, they usually do a few abitilites, but they do them extremely well. Larian likes to do a ton of stuff poorly. Narrator could be used to make more exciting battles too. Music.

MMORPGs tend to be full of trash mobs/battles, yet people like to play them, because its all about self-progression. CRPG doesnt have that possibility, but theres indeed lots of main Characters.

You keep bringing up the idea of battle personalities around the forum and I'd really like to know what those are, because I have no idea. The only description I can think of for them really doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Its up to Larian how they wanna do it, they are after all the devs, we just gives ideas/opinions. They could even add combat dialogues, characters are talking with themselves during combat. "Damn, you just had to miss that hit". Thats surely one way to improve combat, if your game is full of trash mobs/battles.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 21/01/22 02:40 AM.
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by heuron
The exploit still exists, however...

I'm still curious to know your ideas on the rewards, though. I've thought about it before but kept running into the issue of capping the player to a certain level per major plot point. They could try adding interesting sub-plots tied to certain random encounters but they would only be able to do so many of those. In general the encounters would be formulaic, right?

I imagine that, especially on subsequent play-throughs, the encounters would feel like they are getting in the way if the rewards aren't satisfying enough or if you've already encountered all the unique encounters.

Standard rewards. A DM may throw a random encounter in every other game session or where appropriate. Let's say an encounter like this would reward your party with 200 XP at level 2. Split 4-6 ways, that's only 30-50 XP per character pet random encounter.

So go ahead and try to exploit. Roam around for hours and encounter maybe 3 or 4 random encounters during that time. Maybe you'll level up eventually.

Again, the point is Random Encounters should not be frequent. Average chance should be maybe 5% of having a random encounter - like rolling a 96 or higher on a 100 sider. Make the check every 2-5 minutes of gameplay or just at certain points.

So, for example, you step into Moonhaven. Game secretly rolls a 100 sider. It gets a 35. No chance encounter. Maybe another trigger point is Risen Road. Game rolls a 79. No chance encounter. You enter the well. Game rolls a 98. Chance encounter. Spider swarms attack.

In some areas that are really hostile, maybe chance increases. So, in hostile gobbo camp, chance is 10% - 91 or higher. Every 2 minutes, a secret roll is made because the place is on alert. You killed Gut or something. Game rolls 20 times, no roll is 91 or higher. You just spent 40 minutes prowling around with no random encounters.

So sure, you could try to exploit it, but it should occur so infrequently that doing so would bore the crap out of you. The point of random encounters is variety and spontaneity. It isn't to bog the game down or to be used for grinding.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
Would the player be allowed to flee the random encounter and avoid it altogether? Would the enemies disappear after fleeing from them or would they be persistent?

Could the player exit and then reenter the area where the roll occurs to force more encounters? If it's based on a timer I can imagine someone who works from home, for example, could just leave the game running throughout the day - as ridiculous as it may sound.

I'm just throwing around ideas as if I were tasked with developing this.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Would the player be allowed to flee the random encounter and avoid it altogether?
Yes to both.

Originally Posted by heurin
Would the enemies disappear after fleeing from them or would they be persistent?

Disappear. It's a random encounter. It represents beings moving around and doing things - living life. You encounter them and then they move on.

Could the player exit and then reenter the area where the roll occurs to force more encounters? If it's based on a timer I can imagine someone who works from home, for example, could just leave the game running throughout the day - as ridiculous as it may sound.

I'm just throwing around ideas as if I were tasked with developing this.

The original concept I had was more like the game rolls the dice to determine if a random encounter occurs every hundred steps your character takes or something along those lines. So you move your character 100 steps and it rolls. If it gets a 96 or higher a random encounter is triggered. Or whatever. It doesn't have to be every hundred steps. It can be every 500 steps.

I'm also just throwing around potential ideas in terms of what would trigger a roll. The main point is that random encounter should be infrequent but they do occur to spice up the game and make the world feel more alive. They are also meant for differentiating between dangerous areas and safe areas. They can also give more value and meaning to different skills because you would maybe have to use certain skills like stealth to hide from Random Encounters. Passive perception would also be more valuable because if your passive perception is higher enemies have a harder time surprising you during Random Encounters. All in all, Random Encounters could add a lot of value to a lot of different elements of the game.

So again, this is not something that should just be trash mobs thrown out there just to annoy players. If done right, Random Encounters can be meaningful and provide value to various elements of the game.

veteran
veteran
I am actually fine with there not being a day/night cycle if it doesn't really add anything .
Well, if you set a questionable premise you can draw questionable conclusions from it.
The thing is: a day/night cycle even at its bare minimum almost inherently adds to the setting, which is precisely why people now have to come up with dozens of convoluted little solutions only to PARTIALLY fill the gap left from the absence of the feature.
For instance the lack of cosmetic variety, having to handcraft custom encounters happening specifically at night, having to come up with solutions that can help suggest the passing of time in other ways, creating the condition to allow for encounters with night-exclusive creatures, etc, etc.

Last edited by Tuco; 21/01/22 04:23 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
And, again, the lack of Day/Night - and this is one of my biggest pet peeves about it - makes it so that you can't do something as simple and intelligent as sneak into a GOBLIN CAMP FULL OF NASTY, EVIL GOBLINS using the cover of darkness as an asset. Yes, even though many monsters have darkvision, sneaking in using the cover of darkness still makes a whole lot more sense than waltzing through the front gate trusting that you'll be just fine because you have a parasite in your head that everyone thinks is super cool.

From Day 1, on my first playthrough, this never sat well with me. Wyll says, "Let's just waltz into the goblin camp and kill the leaders. No problem. It's easy." And we're like, "Okay." And what's worse, everyone else seems to think its a grand plan. Nettie even says something along the lines of, "Well, you have a tadpole in your head just like they do, so you're one of them. That should be enough for you to just waltz right in and kill the goblin leaders and save Halsin. Right?"

Am I the only one not comfortable with that plan? Especially after I meet Andrick and Brynna who say they are actually looking for survivors from the ship - AND I'M ONE OF THEM - shouldn't I be just the tiniest bit nervous that if I waltz into the camp, and nobody knows me, that I might just be suspected as one of the survivors from the ship? Wouldn't it, therefore, make more sense to have an option to sneak into the goblin camp by night using the cover of darkness to give me advantage on stealth checks? Shouldn't I also have the option to steal or equip armor, weapons, equipment, clothes, something to fit in with cultists so that I can sneak in and start walking around pretending to be a cultist? Shouldn't I be able to draw the mark on my hand using Deception so that if questioned I can "show the mark"? I mean, once I've seen it, and once I know it is used to determine if someone is a cultist or not, shouldn't I have the ability to fake it?

There are so many things that make so much more sense to be able to do than waltz into the goblin camp like I belong there and have no one question me, and cover of night is at the top of the list of more intelligent plans. In relation to Random Encounters, it would then add a whole new ambiance and a plethora of additional random encounter possibilities. All in all, Day/Night would add so much to the game. SO much, including to Random Encounters.

And, let's not forget, that Drow have Sunlight Sensitivity. This seems to be completely ignored in the game even though Minthara's stats actually show she has it. Even though it says she's sunlight sensitive, she isn't hindered by it in the game. She doesn't get disadvantage on anything - at least last time I checked. And even if she did, why the flippity zip would she attack the grove during the day? It only makes sense that she'd attack at night, even if the tadpole doesn't erase her sunlight sensitivity because night is far more intimidating than daylight. It would intimidate her foes a lot more to see a bunch of spiders, ogres, bloodthirsty goblins and bugbears, all camped on their doorstep at night as opposed to broad daylight in the glaring sun. Imagine the Helm's Deep battle in LOTR except in broad daylight. Instead of a sea of unknown enemies, you can see a sea of orcs all throughout. The unknown is always more scary than the known.

And, frankly, the goblin forces would benefit from cover of darkness if attacking at night. They'd receive advantage after 60 feet, so they could get closer to the wall without as much possibility off getting hit. This is vitally important to their success because half of them are strapped with bombs on their backs to try to blow the gate open.

Sorry. I've ranted too much about Day/Night, but seriously, Day/Night is SUCH a missing element of this game, and again, random encounters would only benefit from it too. I can't help but imagine being pounced on by undead or spiders or gnolls or whatever in the dark. BG3 is so beautiful! It would only be made more beautiful if scary monsters pounced on you in the dark. Oh my gosh! How thrilling!

Picture this. You've just met Scratch. It's night. You can barely make out the walls of Moonhaven off to your right. The river is flowing in the darkness off to your left. You pass a tree on the left.

BOOM! Out of the tree drops a giant snake (constrictor/poisonous - whatever - doesn't matter). Freaking giant snake surprises you because it's stealth roll beats your Passive Perception. Round 1, it pounces on Lae'zel. Surprise round. Lae'zel is bitten with 2d6+4 damage. Game rolls a 9+4=13. Lae'zel at level 3 has just lost a significant amount of HP in the surprise round. Round 2. Gale rolled higher initiative and attacks with Magic Missile. Astarion moves into thicker darkness (it's night), and uses Cunning Action to Hide as a Bonus Action. Then he gets advantage and sneak attack. Cover of night alone provides him with this opportunity. He doesn't even need to hide behind a rock or something. Then your Druid goes. Your Druid casts Animal Friendship and succeeds. Fight ends. Snake is now your friend. Quick dialogue (even unvoiced... who cares). Your druid convinces the snake to leave. Go find some goblins to eat. Snake agrees and goes away. Encounter over.

What was given value here?

1. Ambiance was more awesome because dang a giant snake is scarier at night.
2. Random Encounter adds variety and the unexpected. Previous playthroughs, you never encountered a monster after meeting Scratch.
3. Passive Perception is given a major boost in importance. Your party wouldn't have been surprised if you had higher perception.
4. Druids'/Rangers' Animal Friendship spell became more valuable, because this random encounter provided them with more of an ability to use it.
5. Hiding in darkness is given more of a boost in importance. Now, PCs and enemies can hide beyond a character's darkvision range and receive advantage on stealth checks.

So many things benefit from Day/Night and random encounters. Ugh! I just wish everyone could see it.

veteran
veteran
What's even more stupid than sneaking into an enemy camp in broad daylight is stealing an Idol of Silvanus in the center of a Druid Grove during a bright sunny day when the Grove is at it's busiest.

Even better: Drow and Goblins attacking the Druid Grove in daylight.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard