Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
The full collapse of human civilization is slated to occur between 2040 and 2050 - so as long as they release by around 2030 we should have plenty of time to play before the end.

I wish you all good fortune in the wars to come.
LOL!! My timeline for this is MUCH closer.

What can I say, I am an optimist. Hey, at least we have an answer to the Fermi Paradox, right? See, more optimism. I can't even help it.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 24/01/22 04:20 PM.

Blackheifer
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by Dustmen
The way I see it is as follows. The game needs to be released in either in 2022, which is what they are shooting for, or the first half of 2023. If they fail to deliver that, it won't matter what the fanbois think, the company will have lost faith with many of their new customers. Yeah, they will likely keep most of their previous followers, though they will lose some of those as well (don't bother to chime in about what a good fanboi you are, no one cares).

They sold far more units of this game then they expected, and if they can deliver the game they promised, this studio will be certain to rise, but if they fail, those customers, the new ones, will be very hard to win back. Larian won't be ruined, but they will find it hard to find another sponsor like WotC, and they will find it difficult to expand their customer base, because they will have failed to deliver a product with iconic status that they assured their customers (and sponsor) they could deliver.

Now, if they can deliver in the reasonable amount of time stated above, this will appease many of those who bought the product. Some will of course hate it, some will adore it, most will be satisfied even if it isn't everything they wanted it to be because it was finished. As long as it is playable and not riddled with bugs, Larian will walk away with a happy sponsor, and content customers.

They could still salvage their reputation among their new customers by publishing after that, but they will see diminishing returns on the customer satisfaction as more time passes. They are on the clock regardless of whether they talk to their base or not, but the clock runs faster the quieter they are. If they talked to their customers and established a rapport, then they could extend this time, but even here on their own forums they are quiet as mice. So they aren't going to be able to get away with what RSI and other publishers who are involved with their fans can get away with. The clock is ticking.
The way I see it is as follows. The game needs to be released in either in 2022, which is what they are shooting for, or the first half of 2023. If they fail to deliver that, it won't matter what the fanbois think, the company will have lost faith with many of their new customers. Yeah, they will likely keep most of their previous followers, though they will lose some of those as well (don't bother to chime in about what a good fanboi you are, no one cares).

They sold far more units of this game then they expected, and if they can deliver the game they promised, this studio will be certain to rise, but if they fail, those customers, the new ones, will be very hard to win back. Larian won't be ruined, but they will find it hard to find another sponsor like WotC, and they will find it difficult to expand their customer base, because they will have failed to deliver a product with iconic status that they assured their customers (and sponsor) they could deliver.

Now, if they can deliver in the reasonable amount of time stated above, this will appease many of those who bought the product. Some will of course hate it, some will adore it, most will be satisfied even if it isn't everything they wanted it to be because it was finished. As long as it is playable and not riddled with bugs, Larian will walk away with a happy sponsor, and content customers.

They could still salvage their reputation among their new customers by publishing after that, but they will see diminishing returns on the customer satisfaction as more time passes. They are on the clock regardless of whether they talk to their base or not, but the clock runs faster the quieter they are. If they talked to their customers and established a rapport, then they could extend this time, but even here on their own forums they are quiet as mice. So they aren't going to be able to get away with what RSI and other publishers who are involved with their fans can get away with. The clock is ticking.

In my eyes this is the exact opposite of what they need to do.

We all saw what rushing to meet deadlines at the expense of the game did for Cyberpunk.

They need to take as much time as it takes to make no matter what.

journeyman
journeyman
If they want more time then they need to learn to commnicate. I'm not overly concerned about when the product is released. I'm just pointing out how I'm reading the fan base on steam with more and more people getting frustrated about the radio silence and lack of progress.

You may want to consider editing that post, I'm flattered that you felt it neccessary to quote me three times, but it's just a tad bit excessive.

stranger
stranger
If they want more time then they need to learn to commnicate. I'm not overly concerned about when the product is released. I'm just pointing out how I'm reading the fan base on steam with more and more people getting frustrated about the radio silence and lack of progress.

You may want to consider editing that post, I'm flattered that you felt it neccessary to quote me three times, but it's just a tad bit excessive.

Which is really strange because, as I said earlier, this has been Larian's modus operandi since Divinity 1 back in 2013 and they've gone on to release final products that received both critical and user acclaim.

I've seen the Steam posts too and it is like either the community has collective amnesia, or was too young to remember somehow (or didn't pay attention and this is their first experience following a Larian dev cycle.)

Last edited by DaigojiGai; 25/01/22 12:54 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Nothing strange about it at all. Larian has doubled their customer base. Those who have been Larian customers previously actually go overboard in their defense, but the half a million new customers don't have a lick of loyalty towards Larian. In point of fact, the fans themselves are so defensive of the company that it is likely helping to turn the new customers against the developers. When you ask a question and have your head nearly bitten off by some staunch defender of the company, most people may shut up, but it leaves a bad taste in their mouths, and they don't remember the nameless attacker who belittled them for asking a legitamate question, they remeber the company those rabid fanbois are defending.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by DaigojiGai
I've seen the Steam posts too and it is like either the community has collective amnesia, or was too young to remember somehow (or didn't pay attention and this is their first experience following a Larian dev cycle.)
Oh, this is simple, really.

Larian has probably multiplied their user base with this game. Definitely doubled, at least. I'm pretty sure that many people bought BG3 when they first heard about it, without much looking. It IS titled BG3, after all! That's how I ended up here, for instance, as I played almost all IE-games + both NWNs in the past, and was wondering for many years why we have no new DnD titles.

Naturally, all these newcomers have no idea about Larian's behaviour during the EA phase. It might be a tried and true workflow for them, but for these new people, for me... well, it could have been better.

addict
addict
Can take all the time it needs as far as im concerned.....give us incremental panels of hell or suchlike and it can come out in 2023 - as long as they keep to the high standards they are setting now its all good....in the interim try "Low Magic Age" - man dont know how I missed that little gem - if you like tabletop D&D and 3.5 edition rules (yes some homebrew but it still alot of fun) - definitely old school but cheap as chips and very addictive.....

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Tarorn
Can take all the time it needs as far as im concerned

give us incremental panels of hell or suchlike and

it can come out in 2023 - as long as they keep to the high standards they are setting now its all good

....in the interim try "Low Magic Age" - man dont know how I missed that little gem - if you like tabletop D&D and 3.5 edition rules (yes some homebrew but it still alot of fun) - definitely old school but cheap as chips and very addictive.....

Yes, we get that. Good for you, I'm sure it really puts a fire under the devs ass when they see how eager their fans are for them to take their time, maybe a couple extra vacations, work on a few other projects. We get it.

Panels from Hell are uninformative and make Swen seem like a narcissist, they should stop dressing up like holloween and give us actual information about the game.

The game will come out when it comes out, but this doesn't mean that long delays won't adversly affect the company. People expect to get what they paid for, 2023 is a year and a half longer than MANY people anticipated. Sure, I understand that you aren't one of the many, but that doesn't change anything for those who are.

Really? Your answer is play a different game? You think that is a valid alternative to getting a game that more then a million customers have already paid for?

veteran
veteran
The game will come out when it comes out, but this doesn't mean that long delays won't adversly affect the company. People expect to get what they paid for, 2023 is a year and a half longer than MANY people anticipated. Sure, I understand that you aren't one of the many, but that doesn't change anything for those who are.

Really? Your answer is play a different game? You think that is a valid alternative to getting a game that more then a million customers have already paid for?
And due to inflation, the $60 we spent in 2020 will have the purchasing power of ~$67 in 2023, meaning we'll actually have paid $7 more for the game! Typical AAA company, charging near $70 for their game smh.

....in the interim try "Low Magic Age" - man dont know how I missed that little gem - if you like tabletop D&D and 3.5 edition rules (yes some homebrew but it still alot of fun) - definitely old school but cheap as chips and very addictive.....
Looks interesting but I'm all out of energy for EA games at this point. Also lol holy fuck if you think BG3 will be in EA for a long time, this Low Magic Age has been in EA for 5 years! Wtf

Last edited by mrfuji3; 29/01/22 04:15 AM.
G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
Originally Posted by Aaezil

In my eyes this is the exact opposite of what they need to do.

We all saw what rushing to meet deadlines at the expense of the game did for Cyberpunk.

They need to take as much time as it takes to make no matter what.

Yet Cyberunk is more popular than entire Witcher series.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by GreatWarrioX

*sigh*

Its true that it made more money, and mostly from pre orders and day 1 sales. Thanks to overhyped viral marketing that misrepresented the tired game mechanics, includng lack of any real rpg elements (6 diverging paths that u choose between in the last mission?…what a joke), and a hugely unsatisfying story that was designed soley to highlight a movie star.

I consider it a flop. But it did rake in cash. So…woohoo for cdpr?

sure…Larian can go the CDPR route—-overpromise and underdeliver but make a huge ton of money by doing it.

They could totally do that. I hope they don’t tho.

Let moronic frat boys with more money than sense enjoy cheap GTA knockoffs like Cyberpunk. Let the rest of us have quality games with good replay value and deep stories to enjoy!

Last edited by timebean; 29/01/22 01:24 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by timebean

*sigh*

Its true that it made more money, and mostly from pre orders and day 1 sales. Thanks to overhyped viral marketing that misrepresented the tired game mechanics, includng lack of any real rpg elements (6 diverging paths that u choose between in the last mission?…what a joke), and a hugely unsatisfying story that was designed soley to highlight a movie star.

sure…Larian can go the CDPR route—-overpromise and underdeliver but make a huge ton of money by doing it.

Let moronic frat boys with more money than sense enjoy cheap GTA knockoffs like Cyberpunk. Let the rest of us have quality games with good replay value and deep stories to enjoy!

Where are you guys getting your data?

The Witcher 3 has sold 50 Million copies to date.

Cyberpunk 2077 has sold 17 Million copies to date.

In regards to Witcher 3 - The popularity of the Netflix show has repeatedly brought the game to a wider and wider audience and so it has had sales booms whenever there is a new season.

However, here is the thing about CDPR, they are in a bad situation with Cyberpunk 2077. They screwed up the launch and so Cyberpunk is going the way of Fallout 76, slow death and they have lost the trust of the gaming community. So do they put more money into fixing Cyberpunk 2077 which may not translate to additional sales or just drop it like a bad burrito? It's a lose/lose situation they created for themselves.

Maybe they will go the way of Steam and go all in on their mediocre game platform GoG, or focus more on Mobile games like with Gwent, Thronebreaker, and Witcher: Monster Slayer. They also have a next-gen upgrade for The Witcher series coming out this year. So it sounds like they are going to milk the big winning platform - The Witcher - for all its worth and not focus on creating a new IP or fixing Cyberpunk. They say they are going to "fix Cyberpunk 2077" but they cancelled the Co-Op and multiplayer modes so I don't put much faith in them at this point.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Kinda going on an unrelated tanget here, but at this point saying that CDPR "screwed up the launch" of CP2077 is an understatement.
Turns out that it's not just about being ready for prime time, CP was just a poorly designed game from top to bottom.
It's terrible as a RPG and most of its "choices and consequences are either fake or shallow not to mention limited in numbers to begin with; it's terrible as a free roaming game/simulation, with a lot of broken or barely existing subsystems maintaining the illusion of being a virtual place; it's terrible as a
shooter/action game, with unsatisfying controls, poor AI and poor shooting mechanics/feedback; it's terrible as an adaptation of the Cyberpunk pen & paper ruleset, hardly maintaining any resemblance with the source and almost inevitably making things worse with its additions (i.e. CP was famously a level-less system while the VIDEOGAME, that would benefit even more from this, introduced arbitrary level tiers); it also has one of the most hideous itemizations I've ever experienced in a RPG. Loot is overabundant, unremarkable, scaled with level in a way that doesn't make sense, etc.

The only area where it shines is basically the visuals of first person dialogues with the major NPCs (and let's pretend the others don't exist).

Overall I'd say that no reasonable amount delay was ever going to save the game from itself. They didn't screw the launch, they screwed the entire production pipeline somehow.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
Kinda going on an unrelated tanget here, but at this point saying that CDPR "screwed up the launch" of CP2077 is an understatement.
Turns out that it's not just about being ready for prime time, CP was just a poorly designed game from top to bottom.
It's terrible as a RPG and most of its "choices and consequences are either fake or shallow not to mention limited in numbers to begin with; it's terrible as a free roaming game/simulation, with a lot of broken or barely existing subsystems maintaining the illusion of being a virtual place; it's terrible as a
shooter/action game, with unsatisfying controls, poor AI and poor shooting mechanics/feedback; it's terrible as an adaptation of the Cyberpunk pen & paper ruleset, hardly maintaining any resemblance with the source and almost inevitably making things worse with its additions (i.e. CP was famously a level-less system while the VIDEOGAME, that would benefit even more from this, introduced arbitrary level tiers); it also has one of the most hideous itemizations I've ever experienced in a RPG. Loot is overabundant, unremarkable, scaled with level in a way that doesn't make sense, etc.

The only area where it shines is basically the visuals of first person dialogues with the major NPCs (and let's pretend the others don't exist).

Overall I'd say that no reasonable amount delay was ever going to save the game from itself. They didn't screw the launch, they screwed the entire production pipeline somehow.

Agreed. Cyberpunk 2077 is pretty on the surface but its about an inch deep.

Blackheifer
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
And due to inflation, the $60 we spent in 2020 will have the purchasing power of ~$67 in 2023, meaning we'll actually have paid $7 more for the game! Typical AAA company, charging near $70 for their game smh.

Yes, isn't it just wonderful that the EA customers will effectively be paying more for the game then the people who buy it on release due to inflation.

Looks interesting but I'm all out of energy for EA games at this point. Also lol holy fuck if you think BG3 will be in EA for a long time, this Low Magic Age has been in EA for 5 years! Wtf

This is likely indicative of many of those who rattle off the need to let the developers take all the time they need even if it means the game eventually gets dropped because they don't feel any pressure to finish it. It seems their is a segment of gamers out their that believe that game production is art and should never be put under pressure. They are wrong though, pressure inspires greatness, and once you accept money for your product you put that pressure on yourself, and should face consequences like any other industry when you fail to produce. BG3 will be what it will be, but if Larian is pressure free, why should they bother to even try to make a great game?

That being said, after learning more about this company, I have serious doubts this will be a great RPG with meaningful choices and consequences. Larian and WotC appear to be firm supporters of the woke movement, and those who support this movement tend to water down everything into bland boring impersonal interactions. Hoping I'll be surprised, but I'd rather prepare for the worst. It could still be a fun game, and a great platform for DMs to create interesting content though.

Last edited by Dustmen; 29/01/22 07:01 PM.
veteran
veteran
Yes, isn't it just wonderful that the EA customers will effectively be paying more for the game then the people who buy it on release due to inflation.
Oh I was being sarcastic.

We're paying the extra ~$7 to be able to play EA ~3 years before release and (theoretically) to provide valuable feedback to improve the game. That's well worth $7 for most people.

D
addict
addict
D
Oh I was being sarcastic.

We're paying the extra ~$7 to be able to play EA ~3 years before release and (theoretically) to provide valuable feedback to improve the game. That's well worth $7 for most people.

I agree. I have plenty of complaints about BG3, but I also have over 100 hours playing it. So the money I spent on entertainment made good returns, even if they don't turn it into MY ideal game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Originally Posted by timebean

*sigh*

Where are you guys getting your data?

The Witcher 3 has sold 50 Million copies to date.

Cyberpunk 2077 has sold 17 Million copies to date.
Thanks for pointing this out. I was scratching my head too at the 'copies sold' claim.

T
Banned
Banned
T
Well here is my impression.

First of all in what order they release classes is not what they have necessary done it could be more like decision now we release it.
We have absolutely no idea what they might have done of Act 2 and Act 3. Early Access is about Act 1.

There has been lot of different discussions about it even heated debate but I do not believe all subclasses (not even all from Players Handbook) will be included at release of full game and even if they are only stuff in Players Handbook was mentioned as source book. I could of course be wrong about this, but realistically do not believe it. If I am wrong about this then I am happy of course then I take it as pleasant surprise.

Yes it feels slow to me, but Swen said (a long time ago) that it will hopefully released towards end of 2022. That means it is very realistic and I consider it more likely it will be released during the long year 2023. When in 2023? I have no idea it could be Easter 2023, summer 2023 or Christmas 2023.

I do not believe it will be released in 2024 unless Larian makes a statement that indicates it will be postponed really much.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 30/01/22 06:05 PM.
O
stranger
stranger
O
I preordered this game on day one and have been looking forward to it ever since but I have to admit the lack of update responses is extremely disheartening. I mean *have* they been hit hard by Covid and are knocked behind? That would be completely understandable in these times and good enough reason to say folks we are going to be a couple months later than we planed because we got sick, sorry. Or are they on time per their schedule? It would be nice to know. I became disabled last march and will never be able to work again. Some people might think that’s fun but it sucks the life out of everything when your paycheck is gone too. We only have my wife’s paycheck now and her company gave a Huge $2 pay raise to all her floor staff last year for this year’s raise. They promised the team leads like my wife oh you’ll get something good too “back the first week of January” but it never came. They also owed her $300 in holiday prize money that finally showed up last night that i had to use immediately to past the past due power bill to keep the power on. They still haven’t told her what her or her team leads pay raise will be. Last year too the floor staff got $2 but the team leads got fifty cent. They fear they are going to get the shaft again and the company doesn’t want to tell them. Because I am now on her insurance her paycheck has lost $100 a week. I say all that to say that not being in the know, even when it comes to your favorite game, sucks when life in general is stressful. Throw us a few bones guys. Let us know how this are going once in a while. And also… as someone noted above, a dlc around Easter would be nice even if it’s a little one. Even a single class. That would rock! Or sub-class

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard