Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
Cant say i remember such case ...
But its possible i gues. :-/

In such case, that sounds kinda ... dunno missinterpreted sounds like corect word here. :-/

Short coment on my English. smile

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
apprentice
apprentice
I just wanted to chime in on this. I guess it never really came up in my previous play-throughs, but I've actually auto failed a few skill checks on this run that were absolutely ridiculous. Prime example is Astarion picking a lock with a DC 10. With his Dex bonus, Sleight of Hand bonus, a Happy bonus, and with Shadowheart providing the Guidance cantrip, there was, quite literally according to the D&D 5e rules as written, no way he could have failed, as a 1 was all he needed to roll in order for the other bonuses to add up to 10. Watching the die roll a 1 and then failing without adding in the bonuses was the first time I'd even realized that was a "feature" of this game. If it is a "feature," please, please, please Larian, make it an optional one, just like loaded dice! I know there are other things about this game that do not follow 5e mechanics exactly. Honestly, I'd rather everything did, or at least that there was a difficulty setting that made playing strictly by RAW an option.

G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
I do not have any problems with it as long theres mechanism to help if people have really really bad luck.

CRPG are kinda bad at RP, because theres so many characters, anyway. Now Im Astarian, now Gale etc. Bird View isnt most immersive either. We humans likes to watch the world with our eyes. If I was Larian I would sell Characters.

I like RP, Batman Arkham Knight made me feel like a Batman but this isnt the right game. Interestingly Batman isnt even RP game. But this is. When I played DOS2 I felt like an ant. Thats even more reasons to put more focus on Characters, make them stand out.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 12/02/22 01:00 AM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Look at it this way; if cooking is a skill then statistically every 20 meals you cut your finger off with the knife. That's why a crit failure is poor design. I'd tentatively go for a "Roll 1, roll again to see if you get a 1/2 for a crit fail" but a simple 1=fail is 'eh'

veteran
veteran
1 = Critical Miss in combat ONLY. It also does NOT mean the character fumbled and flubbed up majorly. It just means that even if an enemy has AC 8 and you get +8 to Hit, there's still a chance you might fail.

The purpose is to prevent players from getting so good that they hit no matter what in combat, thus making combat pointless. It is not to symbolize just how poorly a person did.

It is NOT used for skill checks because the game is designed so that if you are good enough at something, a die roll isn't even necessary.

So, if you have +4 skill, a 5 or higher check is pointless. The difficulty is so low that unless you have no ability at all in that area, you shouldn't have to roll.

Similarly, if you get +10 for lock picking, because you are a Rogue with Expertise, any lock that is only 10 or higher is no roll necessary. You're an expert. You won't fail on something so trivial to you. That's why you're an expert.

There's nothing worse than being an expert at something in a game like this and then failing because of a dice roll.

True story, playing Star Wars RPG with my brother. Epic scene/ fight. Climax of the game/ story. He runs up stairs, but he has awesome Athletic skill. Rolls a 1. Trips and falls. Almost died. He doesn't almost die at the hands of a villain. He almost dies because of rolling a 1 to climb stairs.

Suffice to say, he was ticked. His argument? His character was super athletic. He shouldn't be almost dying by running up stairs.

Last edited by GM4Him; 12/02/22 03:58 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

STILL WAITING FOR NEW COMPANION AND CUSTOM PARTY WITHOUT MULTIPLAYER.
BECAUSE WHY FUCKING NOT???
G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
Originally Posted by GM4Him
There's nothing worse than being an expert at something in a game like this and then failing because of a dice roll.

I think it sounds pretty fun. Dice rolling is extremely popular across the entire world. Game industry is full of RNG games. Usually they are just too HC. There needs to be something if you're having a bad luck streak, typical RNG games doesnt realize if you're having bad luck, and it can get quite bad. I think Narrator might the way to go, game sees your luck is bad, he/she gives you something, or change the course of it.

This is the reason why Larian should take inspiration from Monty Python, Standup Comedy etc. "Hey I just failed, lol".

Sucks to say, but I think you're at wrong game. Mutant Year Zero has less RNG actually. But it isnt that good.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 13/02/22 12:30 AM.
veteran
veteran
???

I think you didn't read everything I said and pulled that out of context.

I am 100% for dice rolling. I love the dice rolling in the game - in THIS game. I'd like more of it so that all the skills have meaning and purpose so each character is unique and useful. I want to see my rogue with expertise in Deception tricking people left and right and even rolling for disguise kit usage... Or rolling to sneak past enemies while behind them because they might hear me... And my cleric using Medicine rolls to stabilize not only fellow players but dying NPCs. I'd love it if they gave you the ability to save Arabella from the snake bite by succeeding in a Medicine check. Or my fighter wrestling an orc thug just to prove he has more prowess, rolling an Athletics roll against the orc's Athletics.

Dice rolls, the ability to fail, make the game exciting. If you can succeed every time, there's no thrill. It's just pick the right option and you win. Yay! [Bored cheering noises]

What I don't like is auto-fail due to a 1 in skill checks. Critical Miss is fine for combat, allowing for potential failure every round no matter how skilled, but skill checks, no. Plus, many skill checks are opposed, or should be, so auto-fail is impossible if both roll 1s.

Last edited by GM4Him; 13/02/22 03:20 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard