Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
3 matter here:
1) Evocation Wizard.
I searched ... but i didnt find any description of what does it means for me to be Evocation Wizard, nor what benefits does it have ...
The only description there is on our character screen and it only provide info that Evocation Wizard is called "Evokers" ? Wich was really not helpfull at all. laugh

2) Saving Throws:
As far as i remember, Evocation Wizard should not harm his allies with his spells, bcs his alies should:
A) Automaticly succeed any saving throw ...
B) Take no damage instead of Half, when they succeed.

Well:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
They dont. :-/

3) Acid Splash tooltip:
Also, Acid Splash should have somehow updated tooltip ...
There isnt even single word about that if Enemy sucess on Saving Throw, they get no damage, instead od half as it usualy is with such spells. :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 19/02/22 07:51 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
At least in respect to the tooltip for cantrips - cantrips are almost always all-or-nothing, unless you have a special perk that changes this. Just as a fighter doesn't get any free guaranteed damage when they use their unlimited resource (swing their weapon, doing no damage to anything if they miss), so casters don't get any free guaranteed damage when they cast a cantrip. If you want guaranteed damage, you use your limited resources - a spell of 1st level or higher.

The writing style for 5e (I know, It's almost pointless me referencing it at this stage...) is that spells do what they say they do: If a target takes half damage even on a successful save, the spell says so. If it doesn't say so, then they don't. Spells don't tell you what they *don't* do, they just tell you what they *do* do. So in the case of a cantrip like acid splash, it tells you: targets have to make a saving throw, and if they fail they take damage. That's it; that's all the spell does - if it did anything else (such as apply half damage on a successful save) then it would say so, as many other spells do - if it doesn't say so, it doesn't do it.

For the rest though, yes - when you choose your school, you *should* get a perk that means that, as an evocation wizard, you can ensure your allies automatically succeed their saving throws against your evocation spells, and that if a success would cause them to take half damage, then they instead take no damage. If that's not happening, then it's worth reporting.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
so casters don't get any free guaranteed damage when they cast a cantrip. If you want guaranteed damage, you use your limited resources - a spell of 1st level or higher.
Cute ...
But if you bother to read what i write abowe, i dont "want guaranted damage" i "want tooltip to clearly state what will spell do". -_-

Originally Posted by Niara
If that's not happening, then it's worth reporting.
That was intention of this topic, not another lecture about english wording. -_-

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Cute ...
But if you bother to read what i write abowe, i dont "want guaranted damage" i "want tooltip to clearly state what will spell do". -_-
Maybe try to word your questions better, because it's not clear what you are asking. The acid splash spell description (when you hover over it) states it's a conjuration cantrip. Evoker gets sculpt spells, which works with evocation spells.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by ash elemental
Evoker gets sculpt spells, which works with evocation spells.
And this is exactly the kind of information i would like to see in game ...

As requested:
1) Evocation Wizard.
I searched ... but i didnt find any description of what does it means for me to be Evocation Wizard, nor what benefits does it have ...

A
addict
addict
A
Evoker gets sculpt spells, which works with evocation spells.
And this is exactly the kind of information i would like to see in game ...

As requested:
1) Evocation Wizard.
This information is from the game... It's from the wizard level up screen when you choose the evoker. Also, shows up next to other passives on the new character panel (top right side).

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
It's from the wizard level up screen when you choose the evoker.
Yeah i know it was there ...
Sadly there is no way to go back and read it again. laugh

Also, shows up next to other passives on the new character panel (top right side).
This i actualy usefull information ... must have oversight it, thank you. smile

You know i kinda expected it to be written on the exactly other side (top left) where you have this:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Seemed to me like quite cruicial info to hide it between items effect.

But now i know. smile Happy me! laugh

A
addict
addict
A
This i actualy usefull information ... must have oversight it, thank you. smile
That's the issue with the new ui, there are lots of tiny icons everywhere. Darkvision also shows on the top right side, for example. Imo any permanent effects should be listed instead on the character sheet as text.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Agreed!
Or at least pined on top and clearly marked as permanent.

A
addict
addict
A
Well, I've found another place where you can find this information. If you hit the party panels (tab, or the samall helmet icon on top of portraits) and go to the last panel (character features), it's there.

Frankly, this new ui should come with an instruction manual, because it's not intuitive at all.

Link Copied to Clipboard