Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Twisted? Magical weapons dealing additionnal damages are a part of every DnD video games (and they are in the DMG). Dipping a sword in a candle is stupid and only exist in BG3.
Yup ... twisted.
Im affraid i cant explain this properly, nor i see any reason to ... in my eyes its just odd, but that is not important at all ... what matters is that you are happy with your game. smile

Just a question tho ...
Lets put candles aside, and ignore any other source of fire damage, even the logic that with some kind of oil it would totally be possible for short period of time ... but how about poisons?
They are also "part of every DnD video game".

Originally Posted by Dexai
That's not how Unarmoured Defence works either in practice or in theory. Helmets are not armour in any way that matters.
I dunno its just bugs me to be honest ...
Either they should remove the Armor property from the item completely, since it does nothing anyway ... or they should include it to all things that matter.

That is simply how i see it.
Including Gloves, Boots, Helmets, Belts and every other possible item ... if you are going to ignore any of those properties, what is reason for their existence? O_o

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
A
addict
addict
A
Not worth "the risk" imo even if as you said, it's easier to stay below 50% with a barbarian.I personnaly think it's gonna be time to heal when I have less than 50%.
I don't find it too risky. Bear gives you damage resistance on almost everything on top of the hitpoints barbarians get. And in my experience in a full party enemies tend to prefer targets like Gale anyway.

Also, there are other items that also trigger on 50%, and which the "bearbarian" (love this nickname laugh ) can wear, such as the helmet of grit (bonus action), or the writhing pendant (no opportunity attacks), and also a new armor that gives wrath (+1 to melee damage). Editt: And of course Loviatar's love, how could I forget... laugh

Meanwhile the sword doesn't synergize with anything.

Last edited by ash elemental; 23/02/22 11:37 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
I HATE these items. It feels so un-D&D, action/MMO RPG like. Reminds me of DOS2 pointless random magic items that are everywhere.
Nothing creative,just stats/effect. Play 1 hour <NEXT SET>, 1hour <NEXT SET....>

PLEASE MAKE INTERESTING MAGIC ITEMS THAT WILL LAST AND BE USEFUL THROUGHOUT THE ADVENTURE! That have a HISTORY, that feel RARE, were you need to THINK...Hmmm should i use this super interesting helmet of xxx or this shield of xxx...

Kinda agree on this one, rather have a really really long quest for a good item that has a story connected to the quest and that thus feels very rewarding to obtain (e.g. the flail you can make in the BG2 fighter stronghold quest) rather than having to constantly change equipment to suit enemies or situational effects of items. Said differently, I want to adventure and quest in order to find Excalibur , and if I find it I want it to be the awesome weapon it is, I don't want to find these mediocre items infused with all those very situational conditional effects. Reading these item abilities and effects seems like reading some programmed syntax (if this then this, if that then that, etc). This is not how items work in real life or in fantastic worlds, except if it makes sense story wise (e.g. Frodo's sword lighting up for danger, makes sense. Frodo's sword lighting up for danger if he is below 50%hp, and charging him with electricity every time he lands a jump, is just arbitrary, gamey and incoherent world design).

Not that the games are comparable on other aspects, but I think Larian should take note of how Ubisoft changed the itemisation from AC Odyssey (constant leveling up of weapons/armor making them obsolete very fast and requiring a lot of time spent in menus) vs the new approach in AC Valhalla (only few weapons that can only be upgraded limited time, making players stick more to a certain weapons and upgrades to it feeling more like a real investment forcing you to also ask yourself will I use this, will I stick to this playstyle).

Anyway, i guess personally I'm at very opposite sides of many of these 'modern' game design decisions of Larian, and if that's what earns them their monies, they probably won't change much, I would simply love to see some of these 'gamey' conditionality, pseudo-randomness, and extremely specific situational utility be somehow countered or made more bearable by AT LEAST putting the story first and ensuring that if we find these kind of things, that they are there for a reason and not simply to provide players with endless combo's for meta-gaming. Quality over quantity or something I guess.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Twisted? Magical weapons dealing additionnal damages are a part of every DnD video games (and they are in the DMG). Dipping a sword in a candle is stupid and only exist in BG3.
Yup ... twisted.
Im affraid i cant explain this properly, nor i see any reason to ... in my eyes its just odd, but that is not important at all ... what matters is that you are happy with your game. smile

Just a question tho ...
Lets put candles aside, and ignore any other source of fire damage, even the logic that with some kind of oil it would totally be possible for short period of time ... but how about poisons?
They are also "part of every DnD video game".

I really don't understand why you're talking about poison.
Coating a weapon with poison make sense most of the time and require a consumable so it's not something you can do everytime with every characters without any restrictions.

I also like that we can find better poisons that the basic ones, but the wyvern poison is definitely too overpowered imo. Just a matter of number.

The "+1D4" of dipping is not really the problem.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 23/02/22 12:01 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
old hand
old hand
A very MMORPG-esque item...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sozz
There's a hammer for your barbarian in the Waukeen's Rest, Eagle Pursuit. It deals 1d4 thunder damage upon landing from a Jump. I'm hoping it works with the eagle totem move.

Hamarhraft...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ooo! Neat! I may have to go look for that

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
I feel like this is just the tip of the iceberg now that the door has been opened for this kind of item design.

They said early on that magic items would be like in D&D. Rare and impactful. Which I like a lot about D&D. But now we are starting to get flooded with magic items with all kinds of homebrew conditions and properties that don't feel like D&D magic items anymore. It's starting to feel more like Divinity or Diablo where magical junk is everywhere and you upgrade equipment slots constantly. I hate the mind numbing item grind in an RPG. It makes the items boring and forgettable.

Not cool.

L
addict
addict
L
Echoing the sentiments about it being 'mmorpg-esque'. I think I liked the design philosophy of some of the magic items earlier in EA much better. Right now it feels like item design is getting pushed with far too much emphasis leaning in the direction of equipment sets and builds around equipment gimmicks. This newer stuff does feel a lot more like MMO equipment. I like equipment feeling special, I don't want to feel like I'll be tossing stuff because it doesn't synergize with my 'momentum build' or whatever.

As a further point on that comparison, I really don't like the way quest rewards are being given out in newer content-the 'here's three items, pick one'. Feels artificial. These items are also only obtainable via the quests, so unlike the reward philosophy of some of the earlier quests where you could pickpocket zevlor's gloves, or just kill the paladin for his sword, they are discouraging players from going 'off the rails' in regards to quest design.

In some regards, I think the magic item design in BGIII is starting to show the limitations of making items unique in 5e. In 3rd you had all sorts of modifiers that made every piece of armor or weaponry unique. The Masterwork property, different materials (ie adamantine, mithral, etc), or the masterwork attribute system Dragon Magazine introduced that made sure there was always something you could do to make one dagger different from another before you even looked at that edition's robust system for magic enchantments. And that's not even getting into the variety of equipment options that were present or how stuff like max dex bonuses for armor or crit ranges and crit multipliers for weapons made equipment so much more unique. Hence why Larian is here giving weapons special attacks and going full-in on giving equipment all these gimmicky mechanics-because 5e weapons and armor just don't have that much going for them.

I do think Larian could do the game a big favor if they tuned down the MMORPG-influenced aspects though. That's a big turn off for me personally as someone who has never liked many of the aspects of that style of gameplay and would not like to see it replicated in my D&D games-tabletop or otherwise.

veteran
veteran
Strong agreement with Leucrotta.

D&D is now the breath of fresh air and much needed escape from the MMO style games where more is more with the mindless neverending equipment grind. In those games that IS the game and it makes sense, but not in a story driven RPG.

Turning D&D into that would be a crime. It's like going to a good restaurant for a long dinner but somehow finding yourself in McDonalds.

journeyman
journeyman
One thing that really got annoying and turned me off of DOS2 was how the “weapon and armor sets” were implemented. You would go through a bunch of side quests to assemble really cool weapon and armor sets that went together for a character. OK, all good so far. BUT, as soon as you finished the set, it was obsolete. To turn it into a DnD and BG3 equivalent example - you go through all the effort to assemble this great +1 set of weapons and armor with “Sparky” effects. As soon as you do, the next encounter introduces the first of the +2 set with the “Burny or whatever” effects. Now this really cool “+1 Sparky” set that I worked hard for and was excited about is instantly old news and I have to start all over again. Rinse and repeat with the next set. Therefore, none of the sets really felt special or epic because they were continually superseded. That was really annoying in DOS2 and I am afraid that we might be seeing the same trend start to show up in BG3.

Note that I am not necessarily opposed to the new weapon sets or new ideas, but I hope that Larian doesn’t go crazy with these “gimmicky” things and turn it into the ever repeating cycle that happened in DOS2.

veteran
veteran
I love getting new loot! biggrin

C
stranger
stranger
C
I like the items and the effects on them. Item sets that have interested active effects and change the gameplay in a meaningful way are a win for me. Lore-wise I've also seen similar item sets in DnD.

However, I will echo the feeling that items like that need to be rather rare. It's cool that we get to try them out now but I feel like they would be best reserved for late ACT2 or the endgame of ACT3. More approriate to be playing around with additional effects and such there.

Last edited by Chroniver; 23/02/22 08:51 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
I feel like this is just the tip of the iceberg now that the door has been opened for this kind of item design.

They said early on that magic items would be like in D&D. Rare and impactful. Which I like a lot about D&D. But now we are starting to get flooded with magic items with all kinds of homebrew conditions and properties that don't feel like D&D magic items anymore. It's starting to feel more like Divinity or Diablo where magical junk is everywhere and you upgrade equipment slots constantly. I hate the mind numbing item grind in an RPG. It makes the items boring and forgettable.

Not cool.

Larian wants to use D&D insofar as it elevates their company's image, but they seem to detest abiding by the spirit of the system.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by 1varangian
I'm not sure what to think about these items and Lightning Charges, Reeling, Momentum, Wrath, "when below 50% hp", "when you heal a target", "when you jump", etc. There's so much of it.

Yeah, so far I’m with folk saying there are too many, too gimmicky new items … with, in my view, too silly (provisional?) names. Of course I can always choose not to use them, but I don’t like feeling I’m being pushed to build my character(s) or play style round using a specific item set. Though I do like the fact that the sets don’t force you to get all the items to get a benefit and can be mixed and matched to a point. That seems to be building in flexibility for the future, and the possibility of for example getting more powerful items that will still synergise with early items and can be swapped in as your character progresses.

Hopefully this is just a proof of concept and in future releases we’ll see this moderated and balanced, and if Larian are going to take this sort of approach to sets, different sorts of item family that can support a variety of character concepts and play styles.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
L
addict
addict
L
I'm not opposed to the sets, in the same way I'm not opposed to Vestiges that can increase in power (in Exandria)... but yeah there is a lot, and I'd rather see more of the basic DMG items in first. I mean, who is crafting all these sets and scattering the parts all around this region? Perhaps there is a story reason for it?

ALexws Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
another new item! specific made for barbarian.
[video:youtube]
[/video]

journeyman
journeyman
If you watch the trailer for the game, it is advertised as a serious dark RPG with a touch of horror mixed in. Yet you look at the naming conventions that are being used for these quasi magic items and you get the impression that the trailer was for a different game entirely. It seems Larian isn't taking the contract to create a D&D 5E video game seriously.

ALexws Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
can't believe that there is still more. another one
[video:youtube]
[/video]

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Dustmen
If you watch the trailer for the game, it is advertised as a serious dark RPG with a touch of horror mixed in. Yet you look at the naming conventions that are being used for these quasi magic items and you get the impression that the trailer was for a different game entirely. It seems Larian isn't taking the contract to create a D&D 5E video game seriously.

All I can say is, "Man, those better be placeholder names."

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by ALexws
can't believe that there is still more. another one
This item is odd ...
It would be fitting effect on boots tho.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 25/02/22 08:52 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard