Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2021
Location: Savannah, Ga
Natalie Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Joined: Mar 2021
Location: Savannah, Ga
I was curious if Shadowheart seems "broken" to anyone else with her spell casting. In combat she has such a lower "to hit" percentage even with an 18 Wisdom score and misses often with Guiding Bolt. i have not played a created character as a cleric yet to see if there is any difference but will try that next play through. Anyone else seen that with her or playing a cleric as a created character?

Joined: Feb 2021
C
CMK Offline
member
Offline
member
C
Joined: Feb 2021
I think unfortunately you have just been the victim of Bad RNG this go around. I have played dozens of play throughs and some of them she has the truest aim ever and other times she can't hit the side of barn.

Joined: Dec 2020
T
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
T
Joined: Dec 2020
Guiding Bolt should use ranged spell attack so, assuming she is at ranged, she should have the same to hit chance as a fighter with 18 ST. In this case +4 (for Wisdom) and +2 for proficiency i.e. 1D20 + 6. To test this mouse over a target with a fighter (18 St) in melee and note hit chance and then do the same with shadow and it should be the same if 5E rules are being used.

BTW if you are not at range then use a touch spell.

Spells like Sacred Flame are different and require a saving throw by the target (Dex in this case), at wisdom 18 and level 4 the saving throw here would be a (8+2+4) 14; a goblin should have, as a ¼ challenge rating creature, +2 bonus (due to its Dex) so has a 40% chance of making the roll, hence she have a 60% to hit – I think Larian have played about a bit here and her chance seems less.

To be fair I have not done any testing, I am just going off my memory; please do the testing for me, I'm too lazy smile

Last edited by Thespen; 07/03/22 08:56 PM.
Joined: Sep 2020
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Sep 2020
Originally Posted by Thespen
Guiding Bolt should use ranged spell attack so, assuming she is at ranged, she should have the same to hit chance as a fighter with 18 ST. In this case +4 (for Wisdom) and +2 for proficiency i.e. 1D20 + 6. To test this mouse over a target with a fighter (18 St) in melee and note hit chance and then do the same with shadow and it should be the same if 5E rules are being used.

BTW if you are not at range then use a touch spell.

Spells like Sacred Flame are different and require a saving throw by the target (Dex in this case), at wisdom 18 and level 4 the saving throw here would be a (8+2+4) 14; a goblin should have, as a ¼ challenge rating creature, +2 bonus (due to its Dex) so has a 40% chance of making the roll, hence she have a 60% to hit – I think Larian have played about a bit here and her chance seems less.

To be fair I have not done any testing, I am just going off my memory; please do the testing for me, I'm too lazy smile
To add onto this, if you are attempting to use a Ranged weapon/spell attack while within 5 feet of an enemy, you'll have Disadvantage on the attack. Which means that you'll roll 2d20s and choose the lower result, roughly equivalent to a -4 to hit (or -22%). Mousing over a target after you've selected the offensive ability should reveal whether you have Advantage or Disadvantage on the roll.

About Sacred Flame: Larian's goblins have somewhat lower AC, higher HP, and the same Dex STs compared to 5e. This means that spells that target saves are relatively weaker than attack-roll spells that target AC. Additionally, spells that target enemy saves don't benefit from bonuses like Advantage or the +2 High Ground Bonus. So if you've been using Sacred Flame a lot as SH, then she'll feel weaker than other classes due to the relatively lower effective to-hit.

Otherwise, since you specify that she has 18 Wisdom which is expected for a level 4 character, I'd attribute your experiences to bad rng.

Joined: Jul 2021
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Jul 2021
Quote
Is Shadowheart broken

Hmmm...

Joined: Sep 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Sep 2020
I just give her a light crossbow, seems to work much better than Sacred Flame for sure. I do the same on a custom cleric but since I only keep them ranged, they always start out with high Dex. Don't have too much of an issue with Guiding Bolt but I don't use it that much, so could have just been lucky.

Originally Posted by mrfuji3
About Sacred Flame: Larian's goblins have somewhat lower AC, higher HP, and the same Dex STs compared to 5e. This means that spells that target saves are relatively weaker than attack-roll spells that target AC. Additionally, spells that target enemy saves don't benefit from bonuses like Advantage or the +2 High Ground Bonus. So if you've been using Sacred Flame a lot as SH, then she'll feel weaker than other classes due to the relatively lower effective to-hit.
This sounds about right

Joined: Mar 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Mar 2020
She gets spirit guardians at level 5 so she may be best suited for close quarters anyway. Mace and shield + Spiritual Hammer works nicely.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5