Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
I actually liked what Solasta did with the war domain cleric, giving them a strait up extra attack at level 8.

Switching them over to Paladin after level 8 made them the single strongest class in the game.

Nothing like having spells to smite with.

...of course Spirit Guardians, daylight (in a game with Epic Vampires that cranked out legendary attacks), and Great Swords that did radiant damage certainly helped.

Last edited by Van'tal; 06/04/22 03:11 AM.
old hand
old hand
Clerics are underpowered in BG3? Is that so? I'm no DnD/ BG1,2 player and have no experience, but I'm quite satisfied with what I get. Clerics could need a better cantrip perhaps, but the need to use a weapon often instead also gives a nice special touch, so I don't see much urge for changes. Later levels of course I cannot speak of.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I think when Larian unlocks more Cleric domains, integrates the better cleric spells (ex: Spiritual Weapon) and the cleric has access to 3rd-up level spells, they will really shine, as will any caster that will have access to 3rd-up level spells.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Originally Posted by geala
Clerics are underpowered in BG3? Is that so? I'm no DnD/ BG1,2 player and have no experience, but I'm quite satisfied with what I get. Clerics could need a better cantrip perhaps, but the need to use a weapon often instead also gives a nice special touch, so I don't see much urge for changes. Later levels of course I cannot speak of.
Compared to what they should be the vast majority of spells and features are in the game. But alot of the subclasses are missing. The phB alone already has 8 if memory serves. Some, like the war domain cleric turn the cleric into something closer to a fighter then the current domains that we have in the game.

Honestly though, cleric is 1 of the few classes that you could fill an entire party with (provided the run different domains) and that party would work just fine for like 99% of the game. Its a very versatile class. This whole 'cleric is underpowered' sentiment is abit of an overreaction I feel...

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
I want to see how well they do with Spirit Guardians.

A Nature Cleric would be awesome with Shillelagh and that 2d12 greatclub that can be obtained from the Minetaur.

HULK SMASH!

They get Element damage at level 8 too and / or dip into Barbarian for the Reckless Attack and pick up Great Weapon Fighter. Just dump int and talk like Minsk.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Demoulius
Originally Posted by geala
Compared to what they should be the vast majority of spells and features are in the game. But alot of the subclasses are missing. The phB alone already has 8 if memory serves. Some, like the war domain cleric turn the cleric into something closer to a fighter then the current domains that we have in the game.

Honestly though, cleric is 1 of the few classes that you could fill an entire party with (provided the run different domains) and that party would work just fine for like 99% of the game. Its a very versatile class. This whole 'cleric is underpowered' sentiment is abit of an overreaction I feel...

I concur. I played Ranger, Sorcerer, Barbarian and Cleric up to now and Cleric feels the most powerful, with Barbarian the close second, also compared to Wizard and Fighter (Gale and Lae'zel). Maybe it's because I play with Light Domain which I find much better than poor Shadowheart's Trickery. I hope, if Shadowheart is a brainwashed priestess of Selune, that we could change her domain later to Life, or so. badsmile

I would really like more Cleric domains to see and also some more "grey" gods, I for my part could not find the perfect one yet.

I have faith this spell will be added if not its a massive oversight on there side. Just as monk and paladin are not in I think we will see more later this year. Its still roughly a year away from release

old hand
old hand
If they implement some of the more powerful spells, clerics should be insanely strong. In DnD 5th, they are easily one of the most powerful classes, hands down.

also ifn you look at the mods that unlock spells a lot are already in there

stranger
stranger
Spellcasters do not shine in lower levels. Though admitted the cleric is the weakest so far - annoying if you want to play as a cleric and only have lvl 4 available.

Rest assured - clerics will shine bright later on. I have no doubt.

Last edited by Volo Junior; 07/04/22 10:01 AM.
veteran
veteran
Clerics are not Underpowered.

In fact the Light subclass is a more than a little OP, and if we ever get Level 5 they will become majorly OP because at that point they not ONLY become the hardest to hit Tank in the game due to Warding Flare (once per round gives disadvantage to the attacker, unlimited charges) and having the best AOE in the game (Radiance of the Dawn 2d10 + wis mod /half on failed save to ONLY enemy targets in 30 feet from caster) but they will also get to cast Fireball as many times as a Wizard or Sorcerer at 5th level while being almost impossible to hit and being able to cast Radiance twice just with the extra divine channel at level 5 - wrecking anyone in melee range!

OMG, Light Clerics just dominate.

Even regular Clerics have an amazing array of Force Multiplier type spells. Love Clerics in this game.

Ok Back to Playing Elden Ring.

Blackheifer
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Originally Posted by Van'tal
I actually liked what Solasta did with the war domain cleric, giving them a strait up extra attack at level 8.

Switching them over to Paladin after level 8 made them the single strongest class in the game.

...of course Spirit Guardians, daylight (in a game with Epic Vampires that cranked out legendary attacks), and Great Swords that did radiant damage certainly helped.

The Solasta Battle Cleric! Best homebrew cleric ever.

I was actually hoping that Larian would implement all of the 5e subclasses and then add a bunch of homebrew classes themselves.

old hand
old hand

I am going to die of laughter if the Solasta devs decide to add a Paladin subclass that can smite with ranged attacks alongside their upcoming Bard release. No doubt there's going to be a Bard subclass with Extra Attack somewhere (since I'm not sure if they're allowed to implement College of Valor). A Bard smiting with arrows would be hilarious.

G
addict
addict
G
This last patch for Bard had a mention of Spiritual Weapon in the patches notes so I think it will be in the full game.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
One of my active profiles for patch8 is a Drow Twilight Cleric of Selune...love this build!

Yes...a mod is involved.

But Drow is Dex based...Yep, for this build we love Dex, Con, and Wisdom.

Now the armor set we want drops off Minthara, and gives us advantage on Con Saves. It is light armor and has no dex cap.

If you roll at least one 18 at full release, you can start with 20 Dexterity.

12 AC + 5 from Dex + 2 from shield = 19 AC

We also use Dex for both our melee and ranged attacks...we are proficient with longbows and Rapiers....and we look like a classic Drow (style points).

[img]https://ibb.co/n6GhfwG[/img]

[img]https://ibb.co/LgrmSF9[/img]

Wisdom will be used to hit and damage for Spiritual Weapon, spells, and spells known so we want that high. At this point my only damage spell is Spirit Guardians, and with Con 16 and Advantage I haven't experienced any issues keeping it active.

It's visuals are not there in the mods but it works fine...those baby spiders that rush you...way better then Orkin (kills hatchling spiders dead!). AOE goodness smile.

Twilight is a domain of Selune and it shines. Besides Aid...you get Channel Divinity: Twilight Sanctuary

Its like Heroism on steroids and stacks with Aid and can also remove charmed and frightened...visually its a HUGE bubble. You grant temporary hit points equal to 1d6 plus your cleric level (Each round!)

You can also fly in dim light / Darkness (cantrip 10 rounds) and get +5 to initiative rolls (cantrip till long rest).

Full Summary

You can also make Shadow heart a Twilight Cleric and use say medium or Heavy armor...thematically sound if she is really a Cleric of Selune.

P.S. Did you check out the spells list?

All good...but Greater Invisibility?...try to hit me now...and my bubble stays up smile .
Circle of Power...a Paladin spell to give us an edge against magic.

Last edited by Van'tal; 31/07/22 07:53 PM.
old hand
old hand
You can also fly in dim light / Darkness (cantrip 10 rounds) and get +5 to initiative rolls (cantrip till long rest).
Does this flight ability raise the camera along with the character? If it does then maybe there is hope for a mod that gives an option to raise and lower the camera at will without needing to use a spell or ability.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by Zarna
Does this flight ability raise the camera along with the character? If it does then maybe there is hope for a mod that gives an option to raise and lower the camera at will without needing to use a spell or ability.

Its like the Imp's ability to jump...maybe a little bit longer.

It works fin in the spider cave and the Underdark.

old hand
old hand
Its like the Imp's ability to jump...maybe a little bit longer.

It works fin in the spider cave and the Underdark.
Never played with familiars, so I am guessing this is similar to our jump where the camera doesn't move up? Saw a mod linked in another thread that may do what I want though, if it gets updated.

veteran
veteran
Characters don't actually "fly" in the game, they just levitate few cm above the ground and can do very long jumps, like in DOS 2.

The practical difference is that, for instance, you can still hit in melee a "flying" character or creature without a problem, while conversely in Solasta you'd need to use a ranged attack OR set your melee with a "ready action" waiting for the flying creature to come close enough.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
Definitely sounds like they did flight much better in Solasta then. Still being in melee range is just stupid.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard