Print Thread
#811535 13/03/22 06:25 PM
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
What ambient sounds are spot on, and which ones are annoying and immersion breaking?

Last edited by Van'tal; 13/03/22 07:03 PM.
#811536 13/03/22 06:32 PM
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
For me the Deep Gnomes after being saved are insufferably repetitive...their comments should be brief, then back to hammering, or disperse or something, while I continue to explore.

Same with the Duergar...maybe a round of threats, than ambient hammers, and barely intelligible cooperative efforts. Most game's ambient banter is just that...ambient.

Same with the Tiefling party (Where Roland is be shouted at). Hear it once than more pleasing ambience. You can repeat the fight if I actually talk to them.

To be clear I would rank the annoying factor at a solid 10 out of 10.

My limit of hearing about toes being bitten off and Balls being peeled like potatoes is exactly once...after that let me enjoy the nice music score.

You do want me to enjoy your game don't you? That's a serious question BTW. I am sure this is just a blind spot, but please pay attention.

(1 day later) Ima edit this section to voice a specific concern:

I know that Larian understands the value of ambience, because they just invested a lot of money in a beautiful new score for the Grymforge.

Sven was bragging about...great job, I love it too!

In BG1 We start out in Candle Keep to establish a baseline of normality and it is quite positive.

We are then introduced to sudden conflict and are cast out into the world to meet the challenge.

In BG3 I have seen no evidence so far that this world is even worth saving...That is the impression you have given and keep reinforcing (Not on purpose I am sure). You want us to assume that this region of the world is the same as it was when we last saw it...don't see it.

The Druid grove was the first chance to establish a baseline of normality...and...constant shouting and bickering...division within ranks and between them.

Hence play the shouting scene once on trigger, then let it go.

You seriously need to insert some pleasantness after all that dysfunction...a pleasant voice welcoming us (female would be choice) "We are grateful to see you...blah, ect, blah"

Yea, please make it convincing while we are at it, and establish that baseline of normality.

People wanting "Good" companions (or at least pleasant ones) has been echoed loud and clear. Now I am not even counting on that, so some generic pleasantness would go along way hear and there.

Druid Grove... a welcome and some better ambience after the shouting stops.

Grymforge...nasty threats once, than shut up.

I just saved the Deep Gnomes...one round of grieving then how about some hospitality? Tea?...offer of food and lodging perhaps?
I thought Germans understood basic etiquette.

I have played most every D&D title, and every one set the mood well, and they all featured conflict.

Even Planescape torment, which began in a morgue, had such an uplifting score that it balanced the darkness.

This game needs uplifting elements for balance, and needs to tame some of that cruelty (not over and over again).

This a MAJOR reason why this game feels "off" to people...this is easily fixable.

Last edited by Van'tal; 14/03/22 01:41 AM.
#811537 13/03/22 06:33 PM
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Spot on...I love the bird sounds in nature, and the new Forge score (off the top of my head).

#811539 13/03/22 06:38 PM
old hand
old hand
Probably the ones that are in the game, I still remember walking into first village/town and it being dead quite when EA first launched. Generally any area just dead quite seems off.

#811549 13/03/22 09:41 PM
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Under-dark Ambient music..spot on.

Goblin camp, and wilderness areas too.

Last edited by Van'tal; 13/03/22 09:44 PM.
#817609 26/06/22 10:10 PM
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
I am bumping this thread because the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I am sure that everyone who has played RPGs agrees that atmosphere is critical for immersion. please show that ambiance matters to you by adding some comment or suggestion.

#817616 26/06/22 10:35 PM
The game in general needs more ambience, sounds and music, now it feel empty at times. I think Larian understand this too

add hexblade warlock, pls
#817652 27/06/22 04:54 AM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Van'tal
I just saved the Deep Gnomes...one round of grieving then how about some hospitality? Tea?...offer of food and lodging perhaps?

I don't know what you mean here, but Larian is a Belgian company... Otherwise I totally agree. It was the many small and loving details that gave BG 1 + 2 such a great atmosphere that BG 3 still has to create.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by Lotus Noctus
Originally Posted by Van'tal

I don't know what you mean here, but Larian is a Belgian company... Otherwise I totally agree. It was the many small and loving details that gave BG 1 + 2 such a great atmosphere that BG 3 still has to create.

My bad! Stella Artois not Heineken...got it! Should have paid better attention there.

But yes, the loving details.

More specifically in this case, after saving them, some positive affirmation that their lives will be better. Beyond turning off the perpetual grieving, perhaps the ruins become a little "lived in". A shop keeper, a make-shift tavern, and someone to say come have a pint..."they come in pints?" . Some sort of culture to make our grand adventure seem rewarding.

Moderated by  Nicou 

Link Copied to Clipboard