Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Title's a bit confusing, but let me explain. For example, when you meet Lae,Zel, she tells you about Zorru in the Tiefling camp. Without her there, you can't have the convo with Zorru about he creche. Something to think on, is to allow a conversation, perhaps limited and no where near as colorful as if Lae'Zel was there, with Zorru about the creche. Just some general information about it, perhaps pointing in the general direction of the creche. Do this with other conversations as well, so the player doesn't feel like they "have" to take the characters with them for these conversations. Kind of like facing against Spike without Will. You can still question him, just wouldn't get all the information or special conversations as if you had the characters there.

veteran
veteran
But those are very much companion quest companions, no? You have no reason to search for creche without Laez, and have no reason to talk to Spike without Wyll.

With Zorru I get what you are coming from as she mentions him to you, but Spike only becomes relevant as something more then "just a named goblin" if you have Wyll with you when meeting him.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Wormerine
But those are very much companion quest companions, no? You have no reason to search for creche without Laez, and have no reason to talk to Spike without Wyll.

With Zorru I get what you are coming from as she mentions him to you, but Spike only becomes relevant as something more then "just a named goblin" if you have Wyll with you when meeting him.

I disagree. If you express an interest in buying a sports car from Mr. X and I encounter Mr. X while you're at home playing PS5 there's no reason why I can't inquire about his sports car on your behalf. Just because you've left Lae'zel in camp doesn't strip the information from you that she's looking for information about other Gith from this Zorru character.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by WebSpyder
Originally Posted by Wormerine

I disagree. If you express an interest in buying a sports car from Mr. X and I encounter Mr. X while you're at home playing PS5 there's no reason why I can't inquire about his sports car on your behalf. Just because you've left Lae'zel in camp doesn't strip the information from you that she's looking for information about other Gith from this Zorru character.
I agree with Vortex and Web, it would be good to either be able to have some additional dialogue with not only the mentioned informants but also the companions for the moments you choose not to have said companion in the party.

Now where's my pet Goblin?
old hand
old hand
No, Wormerine is right, those are companion quests, it gives more backstory & interactions to the companion you are traveling with. This gives additional motivation on who you want to travel with, you want to travel with Lae'zel for the creche which she's gunning for or one of the other companions with there own personal crap and motivations.

You have to chose, you don't get all the options.

veteran
veteran
I dont mind options if they make sense ...
But in this particular case, i have to agree with OP ... Lae'zel litteraly tells you that she wants to talk with some Tiefling named Zoru ... she also litteraly tells you that she wants to find out from him where did he see her people ... and she also litteraly tells you that finding her people is the only way for the cure.

What argument could possibly you have for being unable to Ask Zoru where did he see some ugly bastarts without noses? :-/

Especialy since with Wyll Larian explicitly showed us that they CAN work with that option that you investigate on your own. frown

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
CMK Offline
Originally Posted by fallenj
No, Wormerine is right, those are companion quests, it gives more backstory & interactions to the companion you are traveling with. This gives additional motivation on who you want to travel with, you want to travel with Lae'zel for the creche which she's gunning for or one of the other companions with there own personal crap and motivations.

I am going to have to agree with this stance and there are a couple reasons why:

1) from a roleplay standpoint the Tieflings don't seem to know what a Githyanki is (at least the ones you run in to) the first two say "Zorru was right, yellow as a toad and twice as ugly" and then further dialog they call Lae'zel "it" and "thing" (hurtful :P ). Next when you meet Zorru with Lae'zel in the party he recognizes that she is of the same species/ race as another Gith because they look similar, but he doesn't say "Oh crap more Gith!" nope he proclaims "Oh no another one!" So, going to him without Lae'zel and saying to him "I am seeking a Githyanki Cresh," something you know nothing about yourself at this point other than what Lae'zel has told you. He is going to look at you and say "I don't know what that is..." keep in mind Lae'zel tells you Zorru has "seen" Githyanki not that he was attacked by them. So IF you were to go see him and say "I heard you've seen Githyanki, I need to know where..." he wouldn't know what you are talking about with out a dialog option you give a detailed description of Lae'zel... so you see it becomes very convoluted very quickly... do able, but a tad convoluted... In the case of Spike there is no two ways about it... you need Wyll in the party to get any information relevant to Wyll's story... First time you can hear Spike's name as a character of interest is at the windmill, but no matter how much you press Wyll on the subject the MOST information you get out of him is that Spike is the goblin that took his eye and that Wyll wants to pay him a visit. It isn't till you find Spike that you find out that Wyll isn't just out to kill the little snot rag, but that he is searching for Mizora. So... Without Wyll there for the interaction the only real dialog that could be added would be something along the lines of "The Blade of Frontiers says hello" attack. The same holds true for other interactions. Parts of Shadowhearts story are just going to be lost if she's not in the party with you because without her there to interact with environment certain cut scenes just don't happen.

2) from a relplay value stand point if you want to see all their stories in full you will have to play the game through multiple times (and likely make different choices than the previous play through). Frankly I love a game with high replay value and with the final product rumored to have somewhere between 6-16 possible companions it would be impossible to get the full measure of all their stories in one playthrough. So, you may as well pick a few you ... I won't say like... find interesting and find out what happens. At the same time talk to companions you leave in camp getting what bits of their story you can in order to decide who you want in your next play through. ^_^

Last edited by CMK; 16/03/22 05:59 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by CMK
Originally Posted by fallenj

I am going to have to agree with this stance and there are a couple reasons why:

1) from a roleplay standpoint the Tieflings don't seem to know what a Githyanki is (at least the ones you run in to) the first two say "Zorru was right, yellow as a toad and twice as ugly" and then further dialog they call Lae'zel "it" and "thing" (hurtful :P ). Next when you meet Zorru with Lae'zel in the party he recognizes that she is of the same species/ race as another Gith because they look similar, but he doesn't say "Oh crap more Gith!" nope he proclaims "Oh no another one!" So, going to him without Lae'zel and saying to him "I am seeking a Githyanki Cresh," something you know nothing about yourself at this point other than what Lae'zel has told you. He is going to look at you and say "I don't know what that is..." keep in mind Lae'zel tells you Zorru has "seen" Githyanki not that he was attacked by them. So IF you were to go see him and say "I heard you've seen Githyanki, I need to know where..." he wouldn't know what you are talking about with out a dialog option you give a detailed description of Lae'zel... so you see it becomes very convoluted very quickly... do able, but a tad convoluted... In the case of Spike there is no two ways about it... you need Wyll in the party to get any information relevant to Wyll's story... First time you can hear Spike's name as a character of interest is at the windmill, but no matter how much you press Wyll on the subject the MOST information you get out of him is that Spike is the goblin that took his eye and that Wyll wants to pay him a visit. It isn't till you find Spike that you find out that Wyll isn't just out to kill the little snot rag, but that he is searching for Mizora. So... Without Wyll there for the interaction the only real dialog that could be added would be something along the lines of "The Blade of Frontiers says hello" attack. The same holds true for other interactions. Parts of Shadowhearts story are just going to be lost if she's not in the party with you because without her there to interact with environment certain cut scenes just don't happen.

2) from a relplay value stand point if you want to see all their stories in full you will have to play the game through multiple times (and likely make different choices than the previous play through). Frankly I love a game with high replay value and with the final product rumored to have somewhere between 6-16 possible companions it would be impossible to get the full measure of all their stories in one playthrough. So, you may as well pick a few you ... I won't say like... find interesting and find out what happens. At the same time talk to companions you leave in camp getting what bits of their story you can in order to decide who you want in your next play through. ^_^

I suppose I never thought of it that way, it makes sense when put that way smile

Now where's my pet Goblin?
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by CMK
So IF you were to go see him and say "I heard you've seen Githyanki, I need to know where..." he wouldn't know what you are talking about with out a dialog option you give a detailed description of Lae'zel... so you see it becomes very convoluted very quickly... do able, but a tad convoluted...
That is certainly one way to put it ...

Or you can simply go to him and say:
"I head you have seen some odd beings ... i believe your description was exactly "yellow as a toad and twice as ugly" ... I would like to ask you where have you seen such creatures?"

Or you can even improve your chances for positive reaction by saying:
"I just helped your friends to kill one of them ... Nemisa and Deneis was their names i believe?"

Or you can add [deception] roll to the conversation by saying:
"They killed one of my companions ... i seek revenge." (that should be quite easy roll btw laugh )

The point is ...
You have found sentences that doesnt work ... good, now we know wich way we dont want to go ...
But that certainly does not mean that working sentence dont exists. wink

Originally Posted by CMK
So... Without Wyll there for the interaction the only real dialog that could be added would be something along the lines of "The Blade of Frontiers says hello" attack.
Again, that is not necesarily true ...
I mean sure *you* dont know about Myzora, that is true ... but Spike do ... and he seems (at least to me) like the type who A) dont watch his tongue and B) likes to brag ...

So i could easily imagine situation that you mention to him that you know Wyll ... and spike tells you something like:
"So you know each other ey? Well, next time you see my pussy cat tell him i had my fun with his pretty lady. Shame she is allready gone, her scream was delicious."
Or something simmilar. smile
Nice and easy. wink

Originally Posted by CMK
The same holds true for other interactions. Parts of Shadowhearts story are just going to be lost if she's not in the party with you because without her there to interact with environment certain cut scenes just don't happen.
This one is true ...
But since you are not suppose (ignoring the armor, and her clear despite of Seluna) to know that she is Shar worshipper ... it makes sence that you are kept in the dark.

In both Lae'zel and Wyll case you KNOW what they are after (even tho in Wylls case you only think you know and in the finale it shows up that you were after false goal this whole time ... but still, you know enough to interact).

If you want another example, its Astarion and that Monster Hunter in the swamp. smile

Originally Posted by CMK
relplay value
I dont think the game would lost anything from its value ...

With Lae'zel you would loose whole Githyanki interaction if you dont take her with you ...
Even tho you could question Zorru yourself.

With Wyll you would loose whole Spike interaction if you dont take him with you ...
Even tho you can still find out about Myzora.

Also ... it seems to me that it works better for replayability if you can simply pick your party and play ... instead of switching back and forth for every conversation your companion have to present on ... :-/

CMK Offline
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Also ... it seems to me that it works better for replayability if you can simply pick your party and play ... instead of switching back and forth for every conversation your companion have to present on ... :-/

The point is you aren't supposed to switch back and fourth constantly to get ALL the proper interactions, you are kind of meant to decide on a party makeup see the story through based on your choices. The thing is you want to be able to see all 5 companions stories in full in one play through, but unless you KNOW every spot there is a cut scene relevant to their story and every item that may be or interest to them it won't work BECUASE some of the cutscenes are going to be environment interactions.

Right now we are looking at a very narrow scope and just starting to get the various companion stories.

I mean sure *you* dont know about Myzora, that is true ... but Spike do ... and he seems (at least to me) like the type who A) dont watch his tongue and B) likes to brag ...

So i could easily imagine situation that you mention to him that you know Wyll ... and spike tells you something like:
"So you know each other ey? Well, next time you see my pussy cat tell him i had my fun with his pretty lady. Shame she is allready gone, her scream was delicious."
Or something simmilar. smile
Nice and easy.

only one problem with that... when Wyll asks "where is Myzora?" Spike responds "that Myzora lass, a friend of yours blade?" which indicates that when they took her they had no idea the two were connected. Thus if you show up saying you know the Blade of Frontiers, Spike would have no reason to mention Myzora as he hasn't yet connected that Wyll and Myzora even know each other... it is ONLY with Wyll in the party that you find out about Myzora at all.

veteran
veteran
Good catch ... missed that one. smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by CMK

The point is you aren't supposed to switch back and fourth constantly to get ALL the proper interactions, you are kind of meant to decide on a party makeup see the story through based on your choices. The thing is you want to be able to see all 5 companions stories in full in one play through, but unless you KNOW every spot there is a cut scene relevant to their story and every item that may be or interest to them it won't work BECUASE some of the cutscenes are going to be environment interactions.

Except we're being artificially limited by party size. There is zero reason for Tav to simply ignore Zorru after Laz'ael has brought him up as a lead to curing their mutual affliction. ZERO. If you were "meant to" (and I love how people keep assuming how things are meant to be) pick a party and just go with it you wouldn't be able to bounce back and forth to camp and switch up party members. If you want to look at it from a RP perspective, you wouldn't be leaving allies behind at camp at all while you were looking for ways to cure the lot of you.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by WebSpyder
Originally Posted by CMK

Except we're being artificially limited by party size. There is zero reason for Tav to simply ignore Zorru after Laz'ael has brought him up as a lead to curing their mutual affliction. ZERO. If you were "meant to" (and I love how people keep assuming how things are meant to be) pick a party and just go with it you wouldn't be able to bounce back and forth to camp and switch up party members. If you want to look at it from a RP perspective, you wouldn't be leaving allies behind at camp at all while you were looking for ways to cure the lot of you.

From what I heard you can only take so many companions with you to the next map. If this is true, what you going to do?

Last edited by fallenj; 17/03/22 04:31 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard