V
V_Ben Offline OP
Ben_Larian
OP Offline
Ben_Larian
V
[Linked Image from cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com]

Hello everyone,

We’re back with a new hotfix for you today, looking at multiple crashes, bugs, and pesky glitches.

Have you ever turned up at a party and felt like an uninvited guest? Well, for some of you, the Druid Grove was that party. And that uninvited guest? Well, you. An unusual glitch was making characters back at the Grove hostile towards characters that have been to the Zhentarim Hideout - recognising them as both ‘criminals’ and ‘trespassers’ upon their return to the Grove. We’ve put in a polite word with the druids, or at least talked with the animals in our local petting zoo, and they should be a little more understanding now.

As ever, thank you so much for reporting these issues to us via all our usual channels - we always welcome your feedback as we forge this adventure together. Thank you for playing Baldur’s Gate 3.

CRASHES

• The game no longer crashes if you attack Brakkal's cage with the Magic Missile spell.
  • The game no longer crashes when you climb down certain rocks in the Whispering Depths.
  • Fixed a rare crash that occurred when loading a save game.

GAMEPLAY

• The entire Druid Grove no longer becomes hostile towards you when you return after having entered the Zhentarim Hideout.
  • Killing Polma no longer causes the inactive companions at camp to become hostile.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the game to think Surfaces on bridges and other raised walkways were actually on the ground beneath them.

UI

• You can no longer remove hotbar icons for followers and temporary companions.
  • Tooltips now display the action point cost of certain passive features.
  • Closing the panel that pops up when you open a container now closes the correct panel.
  • Clicking on a filter in the inventory now displays the Party Inventory.
  • You can now sort the items listed on your Character Sheet with the Party Inventory filter as expected.
  • Hovering your mouse over ‘Attack Bonus’ and ‘Damage’ in the Character Sheet now highlights the background and opens a tooltip.
  • Fixed the sorting pop-up in the character panels.

AUDIOVISUAL

• The game audio no longer gets muffled when you press the I key from the Party View.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented Shadowheart from talking on the beach if she was recruited on the nautiloid.

MULTIPLAYER

• You no longer get blocked from modifying your character’s looks, spells, and ability scores if you cancel your Venture Forth.
  • Fixed an issue causing the 'Waiting for other players' pop-up to appear in single player.

B
B
Good stuff, thanks a bunch! Keep those hotfixes coming...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by V_Ben
UI
I laughted out loud at this one ...

I remembered Niara talking about how bad it is that we cannot acess Shadowheart, or Laezel inventory (and spells ans stuff) using brilliant example with accidentaly throwing away their ability ... with no way to get it back.
Well, they fixed wrong part of the argument. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
old hand
old hand
[*] You can no longer remove hotbar icons for followers and temporary companions.

This is going even further in the wrong direction. I can maybe see doing this for temporary companions like Halsin, but it is needed to be able to remove useless crap from the rest of the party, especially once past the intro (and a setting to enable the removal during the intro for non beginners would be nice too.)

L
addict
addict
L
I wonder if you can still steal Lae'zel's armor?

B
B
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
UI

I remembered Niara talking about how bad it is that we cannot acess Shadowheart, or Laezel inventory (and spells ans stuff) using brilliant example with accidentaly throwing away their ability ... with no way to get it back.
I haven't played hotfix 22 yet but aren't the hotbar and the inventory two different things? It doesn't mention that you cannot access the inventory of companions.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
UI

Yeah ... Imagine you order a car online. The retailer comes and delivers it you. Upon getting the keys, you realise that there is an issue. In your country, cars drive on the right, so the wheel should be on the left and the master key lock is the one on the front-left door. The car your being given the keys to has the front-left door as master door (how nice) but the wheel is on the right. You complain about this issue. The retailer understands, goes back with the car, has some technicians work on it, and a couple of days later they deliver the car to you again. Now the master door is the front-right one, where the wheel is. Tadaa !

veteran
veteran
To Bomor, the issue is/was that you could not properly access any elements of their character sheets – which meant that if you accidentally dragged an ability or spell off their bar, you didn't have any way of putting it back again.

But to answer LukasPrism:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yep, you can absolutely still take all of their equipment,

And empty their inventories.

Also worth noting:

They haven't actually disabled the other character's panels, or turned them into self-contained companions, or anything like that. They've just hacked in a script line that automatically shuts the window again if you open it, and opens the inspection window instead if you try to open one directly. You can still get a look at it in game right now, if you want, and though you can't get it to stay open long enough to change anything, the ability to do so hasn't actually been disabled at all.

On that note I'll also point out the situation with the hot bars:

They haven't actually locked the other character's hot bars. All they've done is pasted in a custom filter panel Over the existing hot bar; like there's always a filter view up – it's not even aligned properly and you can still see their actual hot bar behind it:

I can even drag the dividers around on the real hot bar, behind the filter:

This is a quick, dirty hack job that is the absolute minimum-effort solution. At this point, the only thing that their changes to the companions in the intro has done is stopped our ability to pick Shadowheart's spells (and this hasn't been disabled - there just isn't enough to time between clicking over to her and clicking a spell, to change something before the window shuts itself). Everything else – changing equipment, stripping inventories, etc., is all still very easy to do using just UI that the game presents to us. So what's the actual goal here? What's the purpose?

B
B
Originally Posted by Niara
To Bomor, the issue is/was that you could not properly access any elements of their character sheets – which meant that if you accidentally dragged an ability or spell off their bar, you didn't have any way of putting it back again.

Thanks for the info, Niara, much appreciated. It seems like it's a temporary fix/change. Swen mentiond that the UI/hotbar will still receive updates so let's wait and see what patch 8 will bring.
If I understand correctly, moving items between inventories is still possible and also equipping items/weapons for party members. There was an issue where the latter was not possible while on the Nautiloid. I am still waiting for the offline files to become available on GOG so I cannot test it right now.

veteran
veteran
You can no longer remove hotbar icons for followers and temporary companions.
*sigh

If we must suffer through a Larian Hotbarâ„¢, then at the very least we should be to able to add/remove/move icons freely.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
Tadaa !
This is probably the most acurate example i have read around here ... ever.
And it would be hilarious ...

But all i can imagine is desperate face of the customer ...
And even more desperate faces of those engineers who thought they did good job ... and obviously want to comply ... but sadly seem to be incapable to understand how. frown

And that makes me sad Panda.

So what's the actual goal here? What's the purpose?
Lately i feel like we are asking this question more and more. :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 17/03/22 07:38 AM.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Niara,

Interesting, I don't see the behaviour you describe. Not all of it, anyway.
They haven't actually disabled the other character's panels, or turned them into self-contained companions, or anything like that. They've just hacked in a script line that automatically shuts the window again if you open it, and opens the inspection window instead if you try to open one directly. You can still get a look at it in game right now, if you want, and though you can't get it to stay open long enough to change anything, the ability to do so hasn't actually been disabled at all.
I can't get even the slightest glimpse of Shadowheart's Spells panel, no matter how hard I try. Is it because my PC is too fast? I don't think so, the hardware is 4 years old.

I can even drag the dividers around on the real hot bar, behind the filter:
The 3 parts of this screen look identical to me, both on your screenshot and in-game. But that might be my eyes.

Also, I can't put anything into their inventories. They don't pick items up, and drag-n-drop on their portraits doesn't work, either. Clutterbar is indeed read-only for them now.

I'm not sure how to explain these discrepancies. Is your version from Steam? Because mine is from GOG.

veteran
veteran
No worries - finding the little things is what I do, in many cases ^.^

To see Shadow's spell panel, select your character and open your spell book, then click shadow's portrait, or hit the F# hotkey to switch to her - for a moment, it will switch, and then the replacement script will kick in and close her character panel, opening the inspection window instead. It only lasts a moment (I'm quite good at getting screenshots of these things) - long enough for a single click to be registered on the panel if your mouse is already in exactly the right spot, but not long enough to register a double click. This is the case for all character sheet views for all characters - shadow's spell book is just the relevant one for the example.

With the other two screenshots, the visual differences are small - they're just the evidence of what's actually been done, rather than big dramatic things themselves. For the first screen shot (with two bars to compare), what you should be able to see is that the buttons are misaligned by a small amount, and it shows up with black space, and clipping with the UI elements at the corners. The second screenshot, with three examples, are showing that I can move the dividers on the hotbar behind the filter around. My screenshots don't show my mouse, unfortunately, but it you look, you'll be able to see two red squares at the top of the filter panel, to the right of the movement bar. These are the tops of the dividers on the actual hotbar, and the actual hotbar is very much still active behind the filter window - I can click and drag those divers around by gripping the bits that are still poking out - best way I could show this was with those divers in different places in each screenshot. Like I said - visually it's not much, but it's the indicative evidence of what they've done and how they've done it, and that's the bigger issue.

It's true, you can't actively put things back into their inventories, I don't believe, though as long as you don't take their equipment away entirely, you can 'swap' equip it to give them the gear you want them to have.

Yes, I am on the steam version, though I'm *fairly* confident that this behaviour will be the same for everyone regardless of platform.

Last edited by Niara; 17/03/22 11:06 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
1. Bloody hell, that was really clever! Hats off for you smile Although, what I see is only a top-left part of that window, torn diagonally, for something like 20-50 milliseconds. I would need a recording hardware plugged into the video signal chain to capture it. Also, the result might depend on double / triple buffering, VSync, Vulkan vs. DirectX, G-Sync / FreeSync and other similar settings. We are really splitting hairs here.
2. Yes, I finally noticed what you were talking about, thanks for explanation. Time to book an appointment with ophthalmologist, it seems.
3. Couldn't figure how to swap Lae'zel's shortbow with a light crossbow, but I don't think it matters much. Larian is surely getting your telemetry, so I expect them to close this loophole in the next update.

V_Ben,

Alright, the picture is pretty clear now, thank you. We are not supposed to have fun, we are only supposed to have Larian's "fun". No more questions from me.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RutgerF
1. Bloody hell, that was really clever! Hats off for you smile Although, what I see is only a top-left part of that window, torn diagonally, for something like 20-50 milliseconds. I would need a recording hardware plugged into the video signal chain to capture it. Also, the result might depend on double / triple buffering, VSync, Vulkan vs. DirectX, G-Sync / FreeSync and other similar settings. We are really splitting hairs here.
2. Yes, I finally noticed what you were talking about, thanks for explanation. Time to book an appointment with ophthalmologist, it seems.
3. Couldn't figure how to swap Lae'zel's shortbow with a light crossbow, but I don't think it matters much. Larian is surely getting your telemetry, so I expect them to close this loophole in the next update.

V_Ben,

Alright, the picture is pretty clear now, thank you. We are not supposed to have fun, we are only supposed to have Larian's "fun". No more questions from me.

Hey. On the bright side, if they ARE reading Niara's posts and locking these things down, then it shows they are, in fact, reading our posts. smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RutgerF
You equip Crossbow on yourself ... and then you equip that shortbow with little "E" written on it ...

That "E" means equipped.
And when you try to equip equipped gear, characters switch it (if you have something on your character ... if you dont, you simply steal it, with no way to get it back). wink

enthusiast
enthusiast
GM4Him,

Possible, but it's also quite possible for them to get it from telemetry. Hopefully you are right.

RagnarokCzD,

It performs a swap in this case? I thought I tried it before, and I can't recall items being swapped. Thanks, if that's the case, they probably won't close it anytime soon.

veteran
veteran
Yes, it's as Rag says - For example, if you want to swap it so that Lae'zel wears Shadow's armour and Shadow wear's Lae'zels, you first have to make sure you're wearing something in your rumour slot, then you open the equip filter for armour, and select to equip Lae'zel/Shadoow's armour; this will put you in their armour, and put the armour you're wearing on them instead. Then you repeat the process with the other, swapping the other character's armour onto them, and then repeat the process again with the first character, swapping your own armour back, and giving them the second character's armour.

To take something away from them permanently, just do the same thing, but with your own armour/weapon slot empty - you take their item and 'swap' them your 'nothing'. If you do that, however, you then cannot interact with that equipment slot for that character again, since it's empty now. Remember; nakey is for life (at least until you're out of the intro).

B
B
Yes, it's as Rag says - For example, if you want to swap it so that Lae'zel wears Shadow's armour and Shadow wear's Lae'zels, you first have to make sure you're wearing something in your rumour slot, then you open the equip filter for armour, and select to equip Lae'zel/Shadoow's armour; this will put you in their armour, and put the armour you're wearing on them instead. Then you repeat the process with the other, swapping the other character's armour onto them, and then repeat the process again with the first character, swapping your own armour back, and giving them the second character's armour.

To take something away from them permanently, just do the same thing, but with your own armour/weapon slot empty - you take their item and 'swap' them your 'nothing'. If you do that, however, you then cannot interact with that equipment slot for that character again, since it's empty now. Remember; nakey is for life (at least until you're out of the intro).

That last part is crucial to me. The inventory limitations you guys are discussing only apply during the intro/Nautiloid part, correct?

veteran
veteran
For the most part, yes, but they'll also apply to anywhere else that you get a temporary companion or follower elsewhere in the game.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard