Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#812122 22/03/22 10:55 AM
CMK Offline OP
OP Offline
So, is it just me or is this spell about as useful as an asshole on your elbow? I literally never use it... because I can never think of a situation in which it would be of any use (at least not in EA). Like I can picture scenarios in which it might be useful like using the spell to make your self look like say another guard to sneak past a pair of guards so you can open a back door for the rest of the party or something... but no situation like that exists in the game thus far that I am aware of.

So, I guess I am looking for confirmation that it is indeed as useless as I think OR for some tips as to where/ how it can be used...

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I can think off some uses ...
But never tested them, so i dunno if that is just my wish, or actual reality in this game. laugh

- Transforming to Drow, so you can easily get acess to Goblin camp.
- Transforming to Tiefling, so you can get better prices at Tiefling vendors.
- Transforming to anything, so you can steal ... and then drop the mask, so nobody can acuse you. (Doubt this would work tho.)

But there are also some uses i have tryed allready:
- Transforming into Dwarf or Halfling (small races) will allow you to squeeze through the crack in the wall to kid-thieves hideout. smile
- Transforming into Githyanki, will provide you much easier rolls with Kithrak (if you play along).

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 22/03/22 12:40 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
CMK Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
But never tested them, so i dunno if that is just my wish, or actual reality in this game. laugh

- Transforming to anything, so you can steal ... and then drop the mask, so nobody can acuse you. (Doubt this would work tho.)

- Transforming into Dwarf or Halfling (small races) will allow you to squeeze through the crack in the wall to kid-thieves hideout. smile
- Transforming into Githyanki, will provide you much easier rolls with Kithrak (if you play along).
Ah! well thanks for the info, I will have to do some playing around ^_^

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Transforming into Dwarf or Halfling (small races) will allow you to squeeze through the crack in the wall to kid-thieves hideout.

Sorry to say it only disguises you and does not in fact alter your real apparance or size; from the spell "The changes wrought by this spell fail to hold up to physical inspection. For example, if you use this spell to add a hat to your outfit, objects pass through the hat, and anyone who touches it would feel nothing or would feel your head and hair. If you use this spell to appear thinner than you are, the hand of someone who reaches out to touch you would bump into you while it was seemingly still in midair."

https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/disguise-self

Last edited by Thespen; 22/03/22 10:08 PM.
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by Thespen
Sorry to say it only disguises you and does not in fact alter your real apparance or size; from the spell "The changes wrought by this spell fail to hold up to physical inspection. For example, if you use this spell to add a hat to your outfit, objects pass through the hat, and anyone who touches it would feel nothing or would feel your head and hair. If you use this spell to appear thinner than you are, the hand of someone who reaches out to touch you would bump into you while it was seemingly still in midair."

https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/disguise-self
That is how its "supposed" to work ... based on DnD rules, yes. smile

And what i described is how its working in BG-3 ...
Is that intentional? Nobody knows ... but right now, that is how it is. wink

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
enthusiast
enthusiast
another usage is when you kill someone and wanna get some information out of their corpses, but don't want to back to camp switching a companion. use disguise yourself and then you can cast Speak with Dead. otherwise, the corpse will inject your spell.

enthusiast
enthusiast

can confirm the first Drow part.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by ALexws

can confirm the first Drow part.

That's savvy - gonna try it out.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Transforming doesn't hide your identity, it just enables race dialogs and does change you to the new race, not just illusionary.

I'm not sure if the game has a reputation system, I think it has NPC 1 can get a +- rep to you (That do nothing?), but not druid grove, tiefling or goblin reputation.

addict
addict
Is any disguise necessary to access the goblin camp? You can just walk in there anyway.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ikke
Is any disguise necessary to access the goblin camp? You can just walk in there anyway.
You can,
but the goblins at the gate don’t make female drow smear s**t on their f**e.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Flooter
Originally Posted by Ikke
You can,
but the goblins at the gate don’t make female drow smear s**t on their f**e.

Did they make you do that?? It never happened to me (half elf).

E
journeyman
journeyman
E
They won't make you do that if you show them you're a True Soul. With any other persuasion or class specific option they kindly ask you to smear some.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Elebhra
They won't make you do that if you show them you're a True Soul. With any other persuasion or class specific option they kindly ask you to smear some.

What a great game! I really do like all the different possibilities of resolving problems. It encourages playing multiple times.

It does raise the question: does the game feature enough toilet chains?

enthusiast
enthusiast
You can use disguise on the bandits at the temple to get threw the door, shape shift as a halfling and pretend to be the archer stood on the box, the guy inside will then unlock the door for you

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Miravlix
Transforming doesn't hide your identity, it just enables race dialogs and does change you to the new race, not just illusionary.

I'm not sure if the game has a reputation system, I think it has NPC 1 can get a +- rep to you (That do nothing?), but not druid grove, tiefling or goblin reputation.

If you use disguise self and then talk to a vendor and build up a good reputation, all of that will be lost when you come out of disguise self.

As a gith, for example, I used disguise self to appear as a elf. Then I got my approval rating with the trader Aron all the way in the green. When I went back later as a gith, my approval was back to normal, at zero. I used disguise self again to look like an elf and my approval rating was back in the green, at 100.

Link Copied to Clipboard